Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLIs-ISTps: very different in different situations/environment?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SLIs-ISTps: very different in different situations/environment?

edit
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-pokeball

My best friend (likely ISTp) is like that. Most days he is quiet. Other days he will not STFU lol (usually about the same subject).

Also, my brother and I are like what you described in relation. No matter how hard each of us tries, we cannot keep a conversation for more than 2 minutes. The sad thing is that we try and fail every single time. He is likely ESFp but, like I said before, he refuses to test.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, this sounds very much like me and many other ISTPs.

The reason is that different enviorments cause us to react in different ways. Around my parents and their friends, I just can't force myself to be overly expressive (plus, they tire me out). Around different groups, such as in school or at a party, my parents wouldn't recognize me. :/ Say, if a bunch of friends and I started playing vollyball together, I would start to get much more aggressive, and even start yelling at people and stuff. We did this a couple days ago actually and in the middle of playing, someone asked, "What are you angry at?" It took me off balance, because I didn't really think I was angry, but that's just how I act when I get competative.

I don't think it would lead to too difficult typings since it seems to be pretty clear in ISTPs.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reminds me of my highschool year book. Some people wrote: "To a wild and crazy guy...., " and others wrote " To a cool, quiet, nice guy ....."
    One ISTP I know is like you described, very much so. In some cirucumstances he gets so excited he almost takes over the room. He's very funny but sometimes crass. Other times espcially around strangers he's almost invisble. He just kind of sits back and observes maybe throws out a one-liner now and then. He sometimes will look over at me to get my reaction to whats going on. Its like he's either checking to see if we are on the same page or curious as to how I will respond to something.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    I feel bad for my husband - he has to spend so much time with my parents during the summer and he's obviously uncomfortable. I also think if my parents saw how open and outgoing he is around our friends, they'd be hurt. My dad is always trying to draw my husband into conversations and my husband never bites. My dad is very emotional and reacts strongly if he thinks he's being rejected - really he reacts strongly to anything but the rejection seems to be bothering him. He seemed pretty unhappy that my husband wouldn't talk to him yesterday.
    Nicky, I cannot even imagine what that must be like. The closest I can come to is a sense of being torn between father and husband...and yet knowing that they aren't the ones doing the tearing.

My bf is an isfp, a very quiet one. My mom is infj, and my bro is infp. When my mom visits us, it's generally VERY quiet at the table. However, there have been a few times when one or the other will make a comment about something. It's like a special treat when they can share more than a few words with my bf. I also find it almost breathtaking when my bf is willing to go drop something off or pick something up from my brother's...without my being there!!!
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate to this too. For instance, I am usually having very good time with my ISFj aunt, but if my parents are present (ENFj & ENTx probably), we 're quiet to eachother, she only speaks to them, and we 're like waiting for them to live, so we can relax and have a good time. My parents presence really tires me off, and it has always been like that. I avoid talking to them because they either misinterpret me or misuse the information I've given them. I sincerely hate them .
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark
    I can relate to this too. For instance, I am usually having very good time with my ISFj aunt, but if my parents are present (ENFj & ENTx probably), we 're quiet to eachother, she only speaks to them, and we 're like waiting for them to live, so we can relax and have a good time. My parents presence really tires me off, and it has always been like that. I avoid talking to them because they either misinterpret me or misuse the information I've given them. I sincerely hate them .
    Hey now, go easy.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is a different dynamic with relatives and inlaws
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents presence really tires me off, and it has always been like that. I avoid talking to them because they either misinterpret me or misuse the information I've given them. I sincerely hate them .
    Now would be ample time to begin considering your parents in the situation. I mean, before they invent the time travel machine and unraise your ass.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I think about it probably eveybody switches up in behavior depending on their surroundings. Im trying to think about it and just about everyone I know does this to some degree. Some much more than others but its true.

Topaz

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I tend to manipulate the tone of my voice quite frequently. I have my whiney softy tone, domineering confidence, high-pitched joker and calm and relaxed. I personally despise my whiney softy tone, since I tend to do it frequently when I'm nervous, shy or talking to a stranger.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    My parents presence really tires me off, and it has always been like that. I avoid talking to them because they either misinterpret me or misuse the information I've given them. I sincerely hate them .
    Now would be ample time to begin considering your parents in the situation. I mean, before they invent the time travel machine and unraise your ass.
    I can't understand what you mean by the first sentence but I really wish I wasn't born at all. Not by these parents. They have hurt me so much that I couldn't possibly ever forgive them. It's good that they still support me financially, because if it weren't for that I 'd have no reason to see their stupid faces ever again and not take action to remove them from my life. Life is a slavery.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ISTps - completely different in different circumstances?

On Saturday, we spent the day with friends. I think they're another ISTp/ENFp couple. My husband was loud and boisterous and kept joking and talking. He had a great time and seemed very outgoing and social.

On Sunday, we spent the day with my parents (mom is ENTj and dad is ENFj). If my husband said 20 words the whole day, I'd be suprised. He basically sat in the same place very still and looked uncomfortable.

It was amazing seeing how differently he behaved with different people.

Do all types change so dramatically in different scenarios? Also, it seems like this could make it difficult to type people because the friends would describe my husband completely differently than my parents would.
    My ISTp brother does it too. He has to feel comfortable, unpressured, and interested, then he'll join the conversation. If not, he'll go on standby and just sit there with a quiet and slightly sardonic expression on his face.

I do it too, a bit like Topaz, but along with the talkative-quiet thing I've also got the eccentric-normal and the organized-disorganized thing. Happy Cat = chatty, in control, quietly eccentric, creative, organized, in touch with the here and now. Glum cat = quiet, ineffective, disorganized, scatterbrained. Last week I had some bad news and my energy levels took a bit of a nosedive, so I've had ample chance to observe this effect.

Have to stop now. The radio plays "un estate italiana", so I've got to sit back and dream. That was the first world cup I watched on TV, with my Dad and my brother, and it was so great, and we wonnnnnnn.... *sigh*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ISTps - completely different in different circumstances?

So my parents have been in Florida since I first read about this. They've just come back up north and I noticed something interesting.

On Saturday, we spent the day with friends. I think they're another ISTp/ENFp couple. My husband was loud and boisterous and kept joking and talking. He had a great time and seemed very outgoing and social.

On Sunday, we spent the day with my parents (mom is ENTj and dad is ENFj). If my husband said 20 words the whole day, I'd be suprised. He basically sat in the same place very still and looked uncomfortable.

It was amazing seeing how differently he behaved with different people.

I asked him about it and he said, "I can't talk to your dad. I can't even listen to him talk." I asked him if he doesn't like my dad and he said, "No not really, I just can't talk to him. At all."

Do all types change so dramatically in different scenarios? Also, it seems like this could make it difficult to type people because the friends would describe my husband completely differently than my parents would.
    Heh.
    thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't understand what you mean by the first sentence but I really wish I wasn't born at all. Not by these parents. They have hurt me so much that I couldn't possibly ever forgive them. It's good that they still support me financially, because if it weren't for that I 'd have no reason to see their stupid faces ever again and not take action to remove them from my life. Life is a slavery.
    I'm sure you have close friends who have come to replace your need for family. It's part of growing up. By the by, financial support is all you really need from your parents after age 18. Your parents will come in handy when you need practical life advice. Emotional scarring can be healed by several things: Caring Friends, extended family, the many trained mental health professionals in your region. Be careful to avoid: Abusive boyfriends, friends going down the wrong path, etc. As for life being slavery, it's really not. I mean, it may be slavery, but it's paid in full by your parents. Seriously though, lady, do you have a job? You can find a lot of fulfillment through employment. It's important to have something outside of yourself to promote and give time.

and come on, let's not abandon hope yet. Tommorrow I know it's going to be windy and i'm going to have to watch tons and tons of videos about cleaning incontinent bowel movements, but at least i'll have something to do!
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommorrow I know it's going to be windy and i'm going to have to watch tons and tons of videos about cleaning incontinent bowel movements, but at least i'll have something to do!
    Without wanting to hijack this thread, I'd like to point out the perfect beauty and oddity of this sentence. You must lead a pretty... hm... astonishing life, heath.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahah i have good stories.
    asd

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicky I am not sure your hubby is ISTP, do you have more pics of his?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dio, frankly your VI doesn't mean enough to me to make it worth my time digging them out.

I'm confident that my husband is ISTp. If you aren't, that's fine.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK sorry, that was a bit harsh. I'm feeling really moody today. Didn't mean to take it out on you.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg Nicky...what a cutie of a husband you have.

He reminds me a lot of the istp i had dated..only...mine had less hair and less height.

and i bet that when he's all quiet, he's got a bit of a scowl to his face, which helps to lead people thinking he doesn't like/approve of them.

when i first saw a picture of my isfp bf, he had a kind of stalking killer look to him which scared me off (i'm not saying that your husband has a stalking killer look to him...only that..i can imagine the "scowl" around others...i could very well be wrong)

and i bet he looks even cuter when his face lights up!!!

ok, i'll stop
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Nicky I am not sure your hubby is ISTP
    Well, I am.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Nicky I am not sure your hubby is ISTP
    Well, I am.
    He could be ESTJ
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you have close friends who have come to replace your need for family.
    Well don't be so sure, cause I have not.

By the by, financial support is all you really need from your parents after age 18.
    Well hmm... yeah, ok, but then there's all the additional stuff that you don't need but are still getting.

Your parents will come in handy when you need practical life advice.
    I doubt I will ever need an advice from them. Actually I rarely ever need any (serious)advice from anyone.

Seriously though, lady, do you have a job? You can find a lot of fulfillment through employment. It's important to have something outside of yourself to promote and give time.
    What makes you think I 'm a lady? And no, I don't have a job. It's very hard to find a job here with wath I do, plus I 'm lazy as hell, plus other things...

and come on, let's not abandon hope yet. Tommorrow I know it's going to be windy and i'm going to have to watch tons and tons of videos about cleaning incontinent bowel movements, but at least i'll have something to do!
    There's always something to do. I don't think I have a problem with that.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dio, frankly your VI doesn't mean enough to me to make it worth my time digging them out.

That 's the right attitude. Don't apologize.

Your husband reminds me a lot of one actor, I just can't think of his name right now.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ann: my husband does scowl around people. A friend told me that he scares people until he opens his mouth. LOL.
    I do that too.

Creepy-pokeball

Your husband reminds me a lot of one actor, I just can't think of his name right now.

haha this one girl I know was listening to my story about her husband. Her husband is sorta, well, free with his body and expressions *ahem* (for example, he has a picture where he is wearing a leopard print unitard and everyone commented, "Only he could do that."). So anyways, another aquaitence had The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on his computer screen. I commented that this person's husband would be perfect for that for Halloween cause he has the face for it and he loves dressing up. The aquaintence laughed and mocked this person's friend for just not being manly enough to portray Clint Eastwood as a westerner. She commented back, "And so *this aquaintence* is the authority on what's what?"

haha I loved her unapologetic way of shooting down the aquaitence for being a stereotypical, chauvenistic dumbass.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae

haha this one girl I know was listening to my story about her husband. Her husband is sorta, well, free with his body and expressions *ahem* (for example, he has a picture where he is wearing a leopard print unitard and everyone commented, "Only he could do that."). So anyways, another aquaitence had The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on his computer screen. I commented that this person's husband would be perfect for that for Halloween cause he has the face for it and he loves dressing up. The aquaintence laughed and mocked this person's friend for just not being manly enough to portray Clint Eastwood as a westerner. She commented back, "And so *this aquaintence* is the authority on what's what?"

haha I loved her unapologetic way of shooting down the aquaitence for being a stereotypical, chauvenistic dumbass.
    Seriously Jadae, don't you EVER have anything esle to do but put people down?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterpark, next time you have doubt something I will be sure to push your lazy ass off the cliff :wink:

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae

Did you even read it? And quit baiting arguments today.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I don't get - why do your VI impressions mean more to you than whether people fit type descriptions or what functions they seem to use?
    because he's one of those people who try to force "reality" to fit into their conception of what "reality" should be....
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, someone recently told me that I remind them of Hayden Christianson. Does anyone else think that he is ISTP?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterpark, next time you have doubt something I will be sure to push your lazy ass off the cliff :wink:
    Oh, shut up.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    This is what I don't get - why do your VI impressions mean more to you than whether people fit type descriptions or what functions they seem to use?
    because he's one of those people who try to force "reality" to fit into their conception of what "reality" should be....
    THanks Anndelise, thats' something I am working to remove from my behaviour.

@Nicky: Unfortunately descriptions are second hand evidence, I prefer first hand evidence, such as pictures. If I can meet the people myself, I always use descriptions instead of VI. But on the internet I need to be in direct contect with the what little direct facts are available.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes, Nicky, your husband and my brother must have been separated at birth. The last picture is exactly like my brother.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Nicky: Unfortunately descriptions are second hand evidence, I prefer first hand evidence, such as pictures. If I can meet the people myself, I always use descriptions instead of VI. But on the internet I need to be in direct contect with the what little direct facts are available.
    So you looking at photos is more helpful than reading a description I've written? That's still hard to believe.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicky,

You are a very sane person.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Yikes, Nicky, your husband and my brother must have been separated at birth. The last picture - THAT is EXACTLY what my brother would look like. His hair is a bit darker, but:

-- shaped a bit like cuddly teddy bear - check
    -- sensible and comfortable clothes - check
    -- same haircut
    -- similar face (?!!? - only my brother's nose is a big bigger and rounder)
    -- SAME IDENTICAL facial expression
    -- willing to do something for you like holding the christmas tree while you take a photo, and all the while feeling a bit uncomfortable and wishing you'd hurry up - check

Eerie. Strange. Weird. Odd.

I'm beginning to think that my husband is ISTp too. He's like the first, second and third photo you took. The third reminds me of what my husband looks like when he's holding a few tools or a plectron and is pottering around.

And yeah - the scowl. That, and the "I'm enduring your presence, not enjoying it" kind of resigned expression they sometimes have on their faces. Especially during large family gatherings - at least my ISTps do that. You can imagine how relieved my poor brother was when I went and married a sensible and reasonable guy one can really talk to (i.e., another ISTp).
    You're making a case for VI! ACK! LOL

Dio still hasn't said if the photos look ISTp or ESTj.

My husband is so not ESTj.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Nicky,

You are a very sane person.
    That's not something I hear very often!!

Thanks though
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're making a case for VI! ACK! LOL
    Sure. They both have the ISTp chin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast