Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Intelligent people on this board

Creepy-hart the INTJ

Default Lots of Intelligent people on this board

A lot of people on this board seem pretty intelligent.
    If you choose, would any of you feel comfortable sharing your IQ scores, SAT scores, LSAT scores, GRE scores or any other tests of aptitude.
    (Out of all of those standardized tests, from one who has taken them all, the LSAT (law school admissions test) probably has the strongest correllation with IQ. Just curious.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't taken an IQ test since 5th grade, but then I got an IQ of 127. I got an SAT score of 1080 in 8th grade, then 1280 in 11th (would have done better if I would have actually studied for at least 5 minutes.)
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am the same way. I hardly study, but I am a straight "A" student. As for my IQ score (from internet IQ tests) range anywhere from 103 to 145. NT’s are often stereotyped to have high intelligence. I think IQ tests are (at least) in part designed around T and N.

I do not think that intelligence is accurately defined.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only IQ test I've ever taken was an informal one on emode.com (there are several but I am refering to the "Classic" one I believe. According to that I float between 130-135 but I haven't taken it in awhile and I was quite depressed at the time. It seems the more depressed I am the worse I score and the stupider I feel. I took it one night in this state and got 115. Anyway, my grades are crap but my SAT was 1320 (though I should have studied). I agree that intelligence correlates only roughly to tests and to be honest I have begining to be disappointed in my intellectual ability/development because I am beginning to realize what teachers actually meant when they said I was living below my potential.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Creepy-Hart the INtj

WAIS IQ Test: 130 (at age 17)
    SAT I: 1390, verbal 670, math 720
    LSAT: 160 and 164
    GRE: Canceled, never took again
    But I studied for all these standardized exams (not the WAIS)

150! you are damn smart!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Creepy-

Default Re: Lots of Intelligent people on this board

Quote Originally Posted by Transigent
    And yes, I know I shouldn't, but I hold these dear as they prove to me that I do indeed have some talent.
    You should to a degree as this shows the intellectual curiousity and inventiveness that often appears in your posts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was me woops.

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have generally had a fairly consistent A+ score for most internal assessment of my schooling, although I wonder whether this is due to natural skill or the fact that I always try to put in 100% to make my assignments stand out. Tests have always been fairly easy for me though - in the past I've never really had to study to get to an A+ level, however that has changed a little in recent years as I approach tertiary education. I now have to put in a little bit of work so that I don't forget small details in the more precise subjects, although due to not having studied in the past, I don't actually know how to study properly.

I have taken a few IQ tests, and my scores range in between 130-140. I really don't endorse IQ tests as a mesure of one's true intelligence and the presence of 'genius'. I believe that human intelligence and genius encapsulates more than the spectrums of maths, english and spatial reasoning tested in Classic IQ tests. Thus someone who is extremely talented musically (or any other spectrum), but not in maths or english would score very poorly on these IQ tests, which would not be indicative of their talent/genius in the another aspect of human intelligence. For example, many would consider Mozart a genius, but I doubt he would have scored very well on the classic IQ test.

In conclusion, I would just like to say that although IQ tests do help you gauge your capabilities in maths, english and spatial resoning, they are certainly not indicative of all aspects of your intelligence as a human being.

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, that was me above

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who (again) ????
    *--*----[Viv]----*--*
    The ENTp Chinese Roast Duck

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was me. Sorry I just realised that I wasn't signed in when I wrote that that was me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't have any IQ tests in the internet to take freely so I had to take that famous Emode's IQ test what Pedro mentioned earlier. I got something like 122. These test should not be taken when you have problems with your mental health and you are not feeling so well. Also if you are not native English speaker. It all takes your scores dawn like happened to me. So actually I am more intelligent than I look by these tests. And I am also with Transigent and others on this board who mentioned that IQ test does not reveal ones real smartness. It is one of those myths of psychology, like I call them. Guess that our sociaty just likes to think that high IQ people are better than others. It shows how unfair our life is sometimes.
    Semiotical process

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IQ tests seem to be far less common and popular in most of Europe than in America. At the end of high school (the rough equivalent) Finnish students take the Finnish Matriculation Examination, a kind of national, centrally graded achievement test in different subjects. Couple of years ago I had some difficulties with my studies and went through a phase when I felt that I had to take pretty much all available internet IQ tests. The scores ranged from 85 to 167 a bit depending on the type of test, my effort, and occasionally a bit of cheating - but realistically I would say my IQ is probably a bit below Pedro-the-Lion. :wink: I soak up words like a sponge but my visuospatial skills are significantly below my verbal skills, and much to my detriment I am relatively slow.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by male21
    These test should not be taken when you have problems with your mental health and you are not feeling so well. Also if you are not native English speaker.
    Yes there have been MANY studies correlating english as a second language to lower IQ scores because of wording difficulties etc etc. Those tests are very culturally biased. Also they seem to be biased in the neuter sense meaning that they say "treat everything equally and what do you get?" which seems to be biased especially against people with in their ego.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    The scores ranged from 85 to 167 a bit depending on the type of test, my effort, and occasionally a bit of cheating - but realistically I would say my IQ is probably a bit below Pedro-the-Lion. :wink:
    You may quite possibly be more intelligent than I. I'm not that intelligent really which has been made quite obvious to me by studying. It seems like I have "corrective potential" but no creative potential. I can see flaws in a theory but I cannot come up with my own to replace it. When doing a lot of things I find myself having the solution to problems but not being able to express it in a meaningful form. What I am really curious about is socionics relations between persons with extreme IQ differences. I heard about a study that said if you IQ differs by 15 or so on the average from the person you are more prone to misunderstanding one another and fights and so forth. I wonder if say you got an ISFJ with an IQ of 180 and an ISTP with an IQ of 80 to what degree would that reverse normal socionics relations?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

edit
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IQ: 129 (11yrs)
    SAT: 1380(?16yrs?)

I would guess I'm about an average intellegent INTj... as we all know we are emotionally retarded . Every INTp I've met though has had an extrodinarly high iq and sat score...one thing I can say tho...
    [soapbox] Although the INTps I'm met(2) in person feel they are 'all knowing', they can't seem to get that they are very good at what THEY DO and how THEIR MIND WORKS, and cannot be as good as an INTj at what THEY DO and how THEIR MIND WORKS, actual intellegence aside) [/soapbox]

Sorry, it's that quasi-identical thing I guess. Had to get that out.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though I have not posted extensively, I will share my information.

When I was young -- around 11 -- I was taken to a college institute at the University of Delaware, and administered an IQ test. According to my mother my score was 145. I have taken numerous other tests online, my favorite being the "Ultimate IQ Test" at the International High IQ Society website (free). My score there was 150 exactly. My additional scores did not deviate from this greatly, although I have never scored above 150. I think this may be due primarily to my pure hatred of math. Math angers me because no one has taught it to me in a way conducive to my freeform mode of learning. Whenever I look at complex math problems, my mind is flooded with childhood fears which, though irrational, are overpowering. Math teachers are generally incipient fools in my experience, who talk to themselves instead of helping their students individually. They feed their classroom a product, instead of a process. My strengths generally lie in Language and Writing. I am a good listener and can communicate with children well. I have not taken the SAT yet, although I will sometime soon, when I am confident enough in my math to at least BS my way through. The SAT involves a good bit of logical trickery which I am reading about.

My type is probably ENTP, although I am known to act a bit INTJish from time to time. I just can't get passed the accuracy of the ENTP profile on Socionics in regard to myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha........hart the INTJ, i wonder who that could be??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well for all that it matters, i guess as far as by NT standards(i'm assuming these tests were created mostly by NT's), i've tested anywhere from 126 to 142. but i believe that there are so many different types of intelligences that it would be hard to measure IQ by any one single test. which makes me question the purpose of the test....rather they should have multiple IQ tests in different areas to measure different things. the standard IQ test is just too a too general and simplified way to measure this and i think it is a lot of times more limiting than helpful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These IQ tests, what measure the thing we call the skills of logical thinking, are quite old, as I have heard from somewhere. I may be wrong also. But some psychologists ,I think, are thinking what fever sayd and intelligence is musch more than those tests measure. And these forms of intelligence are inborn. So we all have powers we heritate from our parents and some of them are strong and some of them are not. These IQ tests ,how ever, may be too outdated as they seem not to believe into significance of genetics.

___
    realized that can't be log in ,when you want to post, but are guest, when browsing.
    male21

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never took any official IQ tests, but I got in the high 90's on ITBS's (Iowa Test of Basic Skills) in elem school, and above 99% of students in mechanical reasoning on the DAT (differential aptitude test). Then I took lots of drugs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that intelligence is mostly learning. I'm not saying that genetics doesn't play a role, but most tests test the person on things that require exposure and practice. Its based on a sort of schematic frequency. that is, the precision of their vocabulary. Obviously certain "body egos" differ based upon physical variation such as chemical and kinesthetic capacities(a giant probably might not feel the need to pay attention to details so much since they spend so much time plowing through others).

I avoid standardized tests because my personal feelings are that I have to prove myself to myself, and to no one else. testing is a means to an end, a degree, not a means toward finding out how valuable others will think you are for society.

With this mentality I have taught myself how to play piano, can draw like no one I know, and explore everything I find interesting. Things many of us can do if we just realize we can. I think we tend to get stuck in the digits in this day and age(or behind the television screen).

To me, the mind in many senses is an impressionable memory bank, it can be molded into many forms by the Ego.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've scored between 115 and 170, although the latter score is incredibly unrealistic; my favorite IQ test online is the one at High IQ Society as well, which I scored a 129 on at the age of 14(I'm almost 16 now.) My talents lie in verbal and visual reasoning, although my mathematic abilities are lacking. I can understand mathematical concepts, but am horrible at computing numbers and recognizing details.

Also, any test taken when one is young is likely to indicate an intelligence far higher than a person's actual intelligence; there is a "regression towards the mean" as one ages.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done lots & lots of IQ tests. I generally get anything between 120-135. They were all in English, but it's not my native. There was a book of IQ tests in my native language. The average resault was 135.

I do like to believe that resault. Still often I think that if I am in the top 2% of people, the world is doomed! :wink:
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    I do like to believe that resault. Still often I think that if I am in the top 2% of people, the world is doomed! :wink:

I've taken a few online IQ tests. Results were around 130ish, I don't really remember.
    SAT: 1400; 720 verbal, 680 math

I used to get really worried that I'd get less than a 90%ile on standardized tests. I grew out of that. I know plenty of really bright people who are terrible test takers. And there's more to life than verbal and math abilities anyway.
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IQ test are flawed, biased, and innacurate ... There is no 100% accurate way to measure intelligence, but there is for endurance and survivability.

So, if you are getting by ... good for you, you're average.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by waddles W
    I think that intelligence is mostly learning..
    Yeah I was talking with somebody about this and I asked this question:

Do you think the mentally retarded are doomed to being unable to master certain concepts or are our teaching methods/desire to teach such individuals woefully inadequate?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion

Yeah I was talking with somebody about this and I asked this question:

Do you think the mentally retarded are doomed to being unable to master certain concepts or are our teaching methods/desire to teach such individuals woefully inadequate?
    Well this is a tough question because, from my understanding, there are so many defects that cause so many different sorts of dissorders that it is difficult to really form a standard form of treatment. I mean, you have group homes and so forth for the "developmentally challenged" yet I'll bet in alot of cases these people have many very different needs and problems.

like fetal alcohol syndrome, for example. Teratogens cause all sorts of scattered problems, probably quite randomly. Once the person is born and starts to age you can get an idea of what the problems are, but these problems might not be the root, there might be other causes which affect seemingly undamaged parts of the brain. It's just chaos, its difficult to imagine that there can be any way to predict and treat all of the possible brain defects that can emerge.

So instead of my prior definition I'd say "intelligence is mostly the capacity to learn, and with this the capacity to create with what you have learned." Test taking is a form of creativity, but it obviously isnt the only one. Its a good general tool, i don't doubt its value for science at all. I mean, when a person has an 80 IQ you can tell, no doubt about it, but there is a threshold where the obvious starts to fade away.

But we all know the mentally challenged are damaged or mutated in some way or another, if the problems aren't fixed(which they can't be) then the person can't function normally, ever.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waddles W
    But we all know the mentally challenged are damaged or mutated in some way or another, if the problems aren't fixed(which they can't be) then the person can't function normally, ever.
    As a biology student, I assosiate many thing with the evolution theory. I don't think those people are supposed to function properly. They are the weak link of homo sapiens. If it's in the genes, I definitely wouldn't like them to have children. Sorry. I am a little bit bothered that so many different mutations are ignored. People do a lot to hide mutations, so the person can live a healthy life and achieve the "American Dream." I would consider mentally challenged people as flaws in the human gene pool. As long as the bad genes are carried from one generation to another, homo sapiens can't improve evolutionally.

You can say all you want about IQ tests showing nothing. Just that I will never believe you. They show how much information that person is able to grasp and use. Internet IQ tests shouldn't be seen as the truth, but they shouldn't be ignored. Some people just are less smart.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not the best choice of threads for a first post, but oh well:

I'm an ENTP. SAT was 1420, 800 verbal and 620 math. I didn't finish the math section - used to always make simple math errors (addition, subtraction, multiplication) and spend all my time checking to see why the answers turned out wrong.

I've only taken a couple of those online IQ tests, I came out around 130-135 I think.

The SAT, AP and other standardized tests are totally biased towards intuitives IMO. In retrospect I feel bad for all the sensory types who worked so hard in school to get perfect grades and then struggled with the tests, while I never did any homework and always aced the tests I sometimes think I could get a pretty decent score on any standardized test, even if I knew nothing of the subject.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default :)

Abstract reasoning doesn't help me when dealing with every day tasks. It's not needed at all. I spend more time theorizing than working.
    Lack of selfcontrol (weak ) has does it's bad things and the weakest () does even worse. For example: I sometimes spend too much money on some dumb thing and after few days I throw it away. And I'm a poor student. :-/
    Even if I know socionics, it's hard for me to use this theory to not make mistakes in relations to people. So, it's best for me to avoid such situations and avoid people. PP

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    The SAT, AP and other standardized tests are totally biased towards intuitives IMO. In retrospect I feel bad for all the sensory types who worked so hard in school to get perfect grades and then struggled with the tests, while I never did any homework and always aced the tests
    Pfft. I enjoy relishing in their demise. However, S types will beat me out with math involving fine details and just paying close attention in general. I have terrible difficulty focusing, except of course when I am interested.

When in a class I just am so bored by the quietness and monotony of the curriculum; "memorize this shit and write it down. remember the definitions of the scientific methods of gathering data." All the while I am like "zzzzzzzzzzz." I want to do stuff. I want to learn by going out and having discussions with people and dealing with unpredictability. When in class I just sit there thinking about how this teaching method is so innefficient and how I could improve it, and thus miss half the shit going on. A lot of people tell me I need to swallow my pride and shut up and listen. I have immense difficulty doing this and am starting to notice some underlying evil in the world with how everything is structured and regimented.

So much energy is needed in memorizing data learned in school, framing it up into realworld scenarios, and then putting into the bigger picture that I have dificulty just sitting and listening to someone without some form of involvement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ disco Joe

I agree. I really don't pay attention in things I'm not interested in. In highschool I pretty much ignored math(i regret it now). I lived in a very lax atmosphere at home and didn't really have anyone to "push" me to do my work, so i didn't. I spent alot of time doing what I wanted to do. The best way to learn is definitely, for me, and Im sure for most ENTp's, exploring. Te stuff like math is only interesting to me if I can find a fun thing to do with it, it's just a means to my fun ends.

@Kristiina

I don't want to send off the egalitarian impression that I think that all of the retarded people are equal to us and are somehow special or some sort of hoopla like that. In my opinion a family that has a retarded child should have the option of "putting the child down". It is very costly emotionally and financially for people to raise a person with such problems, especially when they can choose to try again. Many cultures naturally practice infanticide, even the noble Hellenic people of way back when. It is a natural way of ensuring a productive and self sufficient gene pool. So, Kristiina, I whole heartedly agree with.

But mutations can be a good thing as well so long as natural forces keep them honed towards an evolutionary direction. In the world today that seems unlikely, but lets face it, the world as we know it will soon come crashing down, and those mutations mixed throughout, which have accumulated through being ignored, may prove useful in the next era.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waddles W
    @Kristiina

I don't want to send off the egalitarian impression that I think that all of the retarded people are equal to us and are somehow special or some sort of hoopla like that. In my opinion a family that has a retarded child should have the option of "putting the child down". It is very costly emotionally and financially for people to raise a person with such problems, especially when they can choose to try again. Many cultures naturally practice infanticide, even the noble Hellenic people of way back when. It is a natural way of ensuring a productive and self sufficient gene pool. So, Kristiina, I whole heartedly agree with..
    Yeah, the good days of killing "retarded" people in concentration camps to save the arian gene pool. You people make me sick - but perhaps it's just my type...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa folks, this is getting pretty inflammatory and controversial! And I love controversy!

I don't remember my SAT scores but I think my IQ is around 130-135.

Let's not forget that there are many different kinds of intelligence. The star of them all has been IQ but a close second is the concept of Emotional Intelligence. The ability to handle people, emotions, and politics a la . And truly, I don't think this is really a second; it's more the first in our de facto lives. The people that run things are good in these areas - they don't need a high IQ - they get us to figure out the hard things and then they take credit for them.

FWIW, I've seen mentally retarded folks manipulate the hell out of so-called "smart" people. They may not be book-smart, but they sure know how things work.

In my field, "smart" is a politically correct way of saying that someone is talented and intelligent but has terrible people skills.

As an entp, I think that fourth function can be very disabling and can cause a lot of problems.

Just my opinion.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, I've seen mentally retarded folks manipulate the hell out of so-called "smart" people. They may not be book-smart, but they sure know how things work.
    I call them "street minds"
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim (ENFP)
    Yeah, the good days of killing "retarded" people in concentration camps to save the arian gene pool. You people make me sick - but perhaps it's just my type...
    Kim, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    As long as the bad genes are carried from one generation to another, homo sapiens can't improve evolutionally.
    That whole "good of the species" line is a load of BS. Who the hell are you trying to benefit? Humans? Well, yeah, except for the ones that are messing up your precious gene pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Whoa folks, this is getting pretty inflammatory and controversial! And I love controversy!
    If that's not inflammatory enough Blaze, I'll work on it. :wink:
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast