Pulling a post out of another thread because it brought up some interesting questions in my head: (And no, it's not directed towards nor about any person in particular!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
Determining whether something is good or bad is an Fi function. It's placing values according to a set of criteria. The criteria are individualized according to the situation and according to the people involved.
First, everyone can and does use all their functions.

Second, what counts is how confident you are in your use of the functions, especially in relation to other people.

A person who is confident in the use of his/her can lie - or kill - and will not care if someone else says, "you lied and killed, you are a monster" - because said person will "know" that the lies and killing were "justified" - according to this person's own subjective criteria, of course, but that it is precisely what is about.

Another person who has less confidence in his/her could do the same but be shaken if someone calls him/her a monster, thinking, "uh, maybe what I did was wrong, now I'm not sure, damn, why can't I ever be sure about such things?"
I really like expat's description of confident/nonconfident Fi. It hit home. I am not very confident regarding my Fi. I'm constantly questioning it (myself), checking for alternate criteria and alternate meanings, etc.

I was talking with an INFj who read the above as well, and she mentioned that she too feels nonconfident about her Fi.

This got me to wondering if it's the Ne/Se thing that creates a difference, life's circumstances, or something else. How would it show up in other types? Is it even a type related thing?

I've noticed in a couple of ENTjs that when someone tells them that something that they said hurt someone, or that it's "bad" for whatever reason, that those two entjs seem to mentally review the situation, and in some cases put in effort to avoid the action in the future. Are ENTjs confident in their Fi usage? Is this one of the benefits they get from an ISFj?

The INFps I know don't seem to even think of Fi stuff. And the ISFp I live with seems to only think of these things when I bring it up...however, I could be doing a selective memory thing with the ISFp. (edited to add that I might be doing a different selective memory thing with the INFps too. )

Other ENFps have mentioned something similar, and yet some others don't seem to have a problem placing a good/bad judgement.

One of the ESFjs I know uses social roles criteria extensively and is quite assertive about them.

----
Ok, so this post isn't structured in any way. Random thoughts off the top of my head being written down before I lose it.

Any insights any of you might have to offer, I'd appreciate.