Thread: Ni and procrastination

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ni and procrastination

it seems unlikely to me that Ni types don't procrastinate on stuff they don't want to do and end up not having enough time to do it "properly"
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people procrastinate on tasks they don't want to do.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Exactly. Any type other than an XSXJ procrastinates frequently in my opinion.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Go on...I'm waiting for your answer. I've never seen XSXJ types procrastinate severely 90% of the time, I know it's generalizing, but is it the truth? Moderate procrasination is healthy and done by everyone one time or another, however it becomes unhealthy if it severe. I'm speaking about doing something beyond the last possible second, which I have done frequently.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know at least ISJs procrastinate.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I know at least ISJs procrastinate.
    Ah, I don't really know any ISJs well only ESJs, so I guess that was an ignorant comment for me to make. If I remember correctly my ISFj cousin did procrastinate by studying her test the day before, so I'll concede that it is not best to over-generalize on my part. I guess the key is differentiating between severe and moderate procrastination.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree... ESxj's don't procrastinate and ESTjs can't stand if others do.
    ISxj's do procrastinate, but they'll end up doing a perfect job anyway. (because they are just so damn detail-oriented and their idea of having too little time for writing a text just means that they will read it only 3 times after they have finished and will miss one or two minor typos).

But the topic in this thread is very good. How much do -types procrastinate? Less or more than other types?
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go on...I'm waiting for your answer. I've never seen XSXJ types procrastinate severely 90% of the time, I know it's generalizing, but is it the truth? Moderate procrasination is healthy and done by everyone one time or another, however it becomes unhealthy if it severe. I'm speaking about doing something beyond the last possible second, which I have done frequently.
    I know of at least three ESFjs who regularly procrastinate, one beyond any redemption, and one ISFj that it's damn nigh impossible to get to do anything. If you tell him to do it...and don't ride his ass or light a torch under it, it won't get done.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Removed.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But only a few people procrastinate on tasks they want to do ...

How much do -types procrastinate? Less or more than other types?
    ... and one of them is me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i rarely procrastinate on things i want to do.

i generally procrastinate for an hour or two each night, and then get to business with work i have to do. being Ni, i think i have enough foresight so that i rarely procrastinate on important things such that i don't have enough time to do them.

the one exception to the above is cleaning anything up. i live in some kind of jungle. i've never understood how anyone has time to clean anything up.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    But only a few people procrastinate on tasks they want to do ...

How much do -types procrastinate? Less or more than other types?
    ... and one of them is me.
    I used to think I regularly procrastinated on things I wanted to do. Upon further reflection though, I came to the conclusion that despite thinking that I should do them if i wanted something connected to it being done....I didn't actually want to do it.

(I'm not saying that that is what is happening with you. Reading your post had brought up quite a few humorous memories of such instances for myself.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    the one exception to the above is cleaning anything up. i live in some kind of jungle. i've never understood how anyone has time to clean anything up.
    same, except I know I would find the time if I really wanted to... it's such a low priority item for me though. Sitting around being bored is actually preferable to cleaning. When Peter moved here he told me that it looked like a frat house. I don't even notice.
    SEE

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if is really liked to procrastination at all or any function for that matter. I believe it may be irrationality to procrastinate to the last second, however people believe I am wrong on this matter. So, basically I want this question answered: Is procrastination linked to any function or group of personalities? If not, then this topic is completely pointless.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically everyone procrastinates. if procrastination relates to socionics at all its most likely that is averse to procrastination.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If not, then this topic is completely pointless.
    incorrect

Why Si? Wouldn't Se be more less likely to procratinate, theoretically?
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

I procrastinate on school work way more often now. In public education, I was always the first one done (or so..). Howeverrrr... my real time work is always done in order and one time. The difference here is that the majority of homework is not gratifying at all. It is tedious and boring. Plus I need the time to think about what I am going to do. I need that lag time.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've procrastinated severely when it came to school work to the point where it was possibly harming my health and social life in terms of emotional instability. I would not only hand in assignments late, but there were times where I would ask the teacher for a washroom break and complete it in the allotted time and it would be handed in 2 days late. Some projects I even handed in 3 months late and receive a hefty penalty, it's not as bad now and it makes me wonder how I managed to get through high school with this behavior. I don't think any function equates to procrastination. Maybe irrationality is linked to it, but most disagree on this. Well, my answer to that is that noone is one hundred percent rational!

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the reason I made this topic is because I have until the 15th to complete a butt load of work on my house or I'll get an $800 fine. I've known about it since like... January... and I just started preparations yesterday and actual work on it today. I spent all day fixing railings and tearing up concrete and climbing on the roof fixing the gutters and trim boards and whatnot. I have an 8 unit apartment building to inspect tomorrow, and after that I have to come home and work on it some more. *sigh* I'll be able to get it done on time, but I was irritated with myself for waiting until the last minute... like I always do... although generally I am able to finish on time. I've considered that I do this because I have to have that rush in order to accomplish menial tasks, but I dunno.
    SEE

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    If not, then this topic is completely pointless.
    incorrect

Why Si? Wouldn't Se be more less likely to procratinate, theoretically?
    absolutely no reason other than personal experience. and with the issue of the uncertainty of my having typed these subjects correctly, its probably not worth much.

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    the reason I made this topic is because I have until the 15th to complete a butt load of work on my house or I'll get an $800 fine. I've known about it since like... January... and I just started preparations yesterday and actual work on it today. I spent all day fixing railings and tearing up concrete and climbing on the roof fixing the gutters and trim boards and whatnot. I have an 8 unit apartment building to inspect tomorrow, and after that I have to come home and work on it some more. *sigh* I'll be able to get it done on time, but I was irritated with myself for waiting until the last minute... like I always do... although generally I am able to finish on time. I've considered that I do this because I have to have that rush in order to accomplish menial tasks, but I dunno.
    Exactly Joy. It makes things less boring :/ ... although it causes stress, too. I guess we cant have our cake and eat it, too

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*nods*

I have a REALLY hard time finding the motivation to complete menial tasks.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phaedrus: But only a few people procrastinate on tasks they want to do ...
    I can identify with that! It may have something to do with seeking various mental states....so a person may put off a favored activity because one wants to experience it inwardly, correctly, in ideal circumstances.

It's sort of like saying "if we're going to do this, let's do it right."

Also, perhaps the future has a certain reality to ; so whereas for other types, putting something off means putting it off for good, an honestly intends to get to it and really believes he'll get to it....and in many circumstances, really does after everyone else has forgotten about it.