Thread: Type and Music Tastes

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type and Music Tastes

I'm an INTJ, and my favourite types of music are classical, contemporary classical, alternative, jazz and country. I will also listen to some pop if I consider their music good (as opposed to going on trends and popularity).

What type of music do you like, and is there a correlation between type, functions and preferred genres of music?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maurice Ravel, and then some individual pieces by other composers. And then there's the greatest band ever: ELP!
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTJ and I like classical, blues (old school stuff like Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters), alternative, some jazz, indie, big band, general rock, and tons of small time bands doing low key circuits (the kind that sometimes get played on college radio). I also went through a heavy metal phase. While I still occassionally enjoy the music in general I find it too simple to be appreciated for style (except some stuff like Metallica).

I have an INTP friend who also likes stuff from that last genre too but his tastes tend to be a little weirder than mine and he is much more accepting of synthisized music like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like a lot of different types/styles of music...but mostly as of lately rock/alternative and ambient/techno style music. (Metallica, Ozzy, Moby are some of my all-time favorites!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How's this: as entp I like almost anything that creates a specific atmosphere.

Anthing from Jimi Hendrix to Muddy Waters to Martha and the Muffins to Nirvana to Tupac to King Krimson to Enya. I look for totaly variety in music and you never know what you will find next in my music collection there is absolutely no consistency.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems that very few people on this forum listen to pop then - I wonder whether this is an Extraverted Sensing preference.

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, that was me above (second time I've done that today)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually go for Alt Rock or Jazz. Though occasionally I get into a country or new-age/celtic mood.
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta sleep is what the brain craves to restore itself from the previous day's activity.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SmilingEyes, it's interesting that you say that as an N you don't judge music on skill of the artist - I would disagree that this is a general N trait, because I find that most of what I listen to in certain genres, for example, classical, is definitely based on the skill of the artist. Admittedly, this may be because skill in expression is one of the most important aspects of classical music, however I do find that I will only buy CD's in which the musician's technique is good. As a singer myself, I find that it is almost impossible for me to listen to music in which the singer is singing breathily, nasally etc, especially if I know they are doing damage to their voice. While I have less of a problem with nasal singers, I find breathy singers very difficult to listen to.

Your listening pattern seems like mine though. I go for energetic genres, such as opera, instrumental classical, country and folk when I'm working, and when I'm relaxing I'll go for jazz, contemporary classical and musicals - although with the musicals, this is less relaxing and more trying to pick up words.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forest-Dragon
    SmilingEyes, it's interesting that you say that as an N you don't judge music on skill of the artist - I would disagree that this is a general N trait, because I find that most of what I listen to in certain genres, for example, classical, is definitely based on the skill of the artist. Admittedly, this may be because skill in expression is one of the most important aspects of classical music, however I do find that I will only buy CD's in which the musician's technique is good. As a singer myself, I find that it is almost impossible for me to listen to music in which the singer is singing breathily, nasally etc, especially if I know they are doing damage to their voice. While I have less of a problem with nasal singers, I find breathy singers very difficult to listen to.
    Seems to me that the defining difference might be that you have training in music. I suggest that N gives a person a connection to the music's flow and essence. You with your training can relate to how a musician is making errors and find the errors unpleasant. I can't and don't.

I relate to the actual music. When I dance I feel like I am the song. A dissonant note or an unexpected change of rhytm is just more challenge to incorporate into the dance and with added complexity, comes more pleasure.

Hm, now that I'm reading what I wrote I guess the real difference would be whether you associate with the music or the musician. If you think of a single perfect note from a well-tuned stradivarius it might be very pleasing from the point of the musician but the sound has no meaning with which to associate. It's dead. On the other hand if you think about a bunch of random noise one can get in a factory and add some people screaming on the background, there is no musical skill involved and the notes are terrible but if you associate yourself with the rhytm and flow of the sounds it can be pleasant in itself. Still both can be signs of active N.

Just theoretizing, could be wrong...

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose it really depends on your human perception - what you percieve as dissonant or assonant and the phrase of the music (or sound in the case of a factory), and this, as you theorize may be as a result of nurture as opposed to nature. However, I think that its important not to fall into the trap of assuming that just because one is musically trained that they will always expect assonance in music/sound, and that pleasing sounds to a musician will always be 'perfect' - some of, in my opinion, the most beautiful music comes from those who use much dissonance in their pieces (such as Schumann, my favourite composer).

I also argue that musicians will tend to associate with the musician as opposed to the music. It is definitely to the advantage to the listener to be able to define the nuances in the musician's performance, however, as the medium of these nuances is the music itself, it's is impossible to separate the skill of the musician from the music, as one cannot exist without the other.

However, I do think that appreciation for the phrases and lines of music as a whole as opposed to appreciation for singular chords with their assonance/dissonance may be an N trait. For example, despite having had almost 12 years of music training, when I listen to music, I tend to notice the melody line, rhythm and flow of the music, as opposed to the details themselves (as may be characteristic of an S). As a result, although I have done music theory (which includes writing music), I can rarely find fault with the music compositions of others, although some of my S friends comment that through further study of music, they find musical 'errors' more easily in the works of others (including famous composers).

This is similar to the way in which I will watch movies - while many of my S friends will come out commenting on the dialogue (such as in Star Wars III) or details, like in the Matrix when Neo's blood was supposedly on the wall before he was, I am totally oblivious to this - I have a very bad eye for details. I will instead come out suggesting the significance behind the plot, the themes and connections to issues in society.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's pretty much what I was trying to say but you put it much more clearly. Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like any music that sounds good to me. Bands I like most of the music is Blink 182 and Good Charlotte. Dislike rap and heavy medal also anymusic that to me make men act like a dogs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like rock, some of my fav genres= alternative rock, grunge/pst grunge, hard rock..... heres some of my favorite bands: Nirvana, Blindside, Our Lady Peace, Finch, Smashing Pumpkins, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Offspring, Papa Roach, Millencolin, AFI, Smile Empty Sole, Thursday, Alien Ant Farm, Die Trying, Sum 41, Trust Company, At The Drive-In, Autopilot Off, Chevelle, Future Leaders Of The World, The Eagles, Foo Fighters, Jane's Addiction, Pink Floyd (Im an INFP)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryBottom
    I like rock, some of my fav genres= alternative rock, grunge/pst grunge, hard rock..... heres some of my favorite bands: Nirvana, Blindside, Our Lady Peace, Finch, Smashing Pumpkins, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Offspring, Papa Roach, Millencolin, AFI, Smile Empty Sole, Thursday, Alien Ant Farm, Die Trying, Sum 41, Trust Company, At The Drive-In, Autopilot Off, Chevelle, Future Leaders Of The World, The Eagles, Foo Fighters, Jane's Addiction, Pink Floyd
    Nice list, I'm a rock guy my self. You mentioned At the Drive-In, have you heard The Mars Volta yet?

My favorite bands: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabath, Rolling Stones and The Mars Volta.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually yah... well, just the "The Window" single. My friend who thinks The Mars Volta is the greatest thing since sliced bread(litterly, and he really likes sliced bread) says it's one of their worst songs, but it sounded promising to me. I do prefer the vocalist from At The Drive-In, and I can see where some critics are coming from, but I liked it none the less.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually yah... well, just the "The Window" single. My friend who thinks The Mars Volta is the greatest thing since sliced bread(litterly, and he really likes sliced bread) says it's one of their worst songs, but it sounded promising to me. I do prefer the vocalist from At The Drive-In, and I can see where some critics are coming from, but I liked it none the less.
    Your friend is %100 RIGHT about everything. Listen to Frances the Mute.

Creepy-

I do prefer the vocalist from At The Drive-In, and I can see where some critics are coming from, but I liked it none the less.
    I missed that at first, but did you know they have the same vocalist (and guitarist)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed that at first, but did you know they have the same vocalist (and guitarist)?
    I knew about the guitarist, vocals I didn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like rock & emo - Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, 3 Doors Down, Incubus, Goldfinger, Back After Dawn, Foo Fighters, Hawthorne Heights, Switchfoot, Coheed & Cambria, Autumn Breaks the Dream, AFI.

I guess I like it because I can relate to the music and its moods.

Also new age/celtic - Enya.

INTP (with S tendencies)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fairgeek
    I like rock & emo - Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, 3 Doors Down, Incubus, Goldfinger, Back After Dawn, Foo Fighters, Hawthorne Heights, Switchfoot, Cohhed & Cambria, Autumn Breaks the Dream, AFI.
    Except for of course Smashing Pumpkins, some good stuff there...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought Amnesiac by Radiohead... good stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Pedro-the-Lion, that synthesized stuff from "Headphones" was pretty cool. I do listen to techno, so that's my explanation. I generally dislike older music styles and prefer the newer ones.

I can't listen to music that doesn't fit my mood, but sometimes I will listen to music to invoke an emotion.

So, what is it that everyone has against the Smashing Pumpkins? They influenced some current bands...

Check out Back After Dawn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Zwan better in some ways. Their b-sides and covers rock though. Aeroplane Flies High and that cover of Rock On that they did man...

The headphones are kinda weird. My INTp friend is always giving me stuff to listen to. The new Billy Corgan stuff is kinda cool. You can find it on his profile at myspace.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what Billy Corgan's personality type is. Anyone have suggestions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.netphoria.org/quotephoria/billy.htm

theres a million quotes by him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most of this music listed is subpar

radiohead has nice arrangements and cool guitar phrases, and a singer who's got a nice voice

the mars volta is a nice ambitious band, some of he guitar solos are just awful tho, esp on the first record

i sort of scruff off a lot of people's opinions about music if they don't play it. And i'd say most of the music listed(barring volta, radiohead, smashing pumpkins) is musically vapid in a classic sense(simple structures, ideas) and is more based on the emotion the song evokes(i speculate people who take keen interest in lyrics are more often feeling types).

oh well i guess i think about music too much

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you listen to Loreena McKennitt?
    Yea, I've heard her a few times. I also listen to the Irish stuff like the Chieftans (on occasion).

As to the music critic's comments - I think about lyrics quite a lot, and I am over 80% T. I try to find the metaphors behind them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the mars volta is a nice ambitious band, some of he guitar solos are just awful tho, esp on the first record
    You are seriously underrating The Mars Volta. Guitar solos awful? hmm... They're much more than an ambitious band, they make it work. They have possibly the best drummer, and an amazing vocalist. But whats more impressive is how they put everything together. Cedric writes great lyrics and Cassandra Gemini is one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard, it's something that you can't explain but have to hear.

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/marsvo...dragemini.html

I have a friend who's passion is music. I once said to him, "You know they're gonna be the next Led Zepplin." He replied with, "Well, maybe in popularity... but their music is so far beyond Led Zepplin."

They're that good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite bands: Blind Guardian, Coldplay, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Lacuna Coil, Led Zeppelin, The Mars Volta, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Radiohead, Symphony X, and Tool.

My personal favorite from The Mars Volta is Televators.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for of course Smashing Pumpkins, some good stuff there...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smashing aren't bad they get my respect for "1979". btw Corgan is planing to revive the group as you've probably heard..

Am I the only one on this board who loves electronic music? hah.

When it comes to electronic music INFPs prefer the more catchy, dreamy and melodic tunes.. while the *ST*'s prefer hard breaks, basses and hard things like hard-techno, drum`n`bass.. d0h I like drum`n`bass too it's crazy on those d'n'b parties! I get tired if I listen to some hard styles for too long while my ESTP friends has no problem listening to them all day long at work...

Anyway I like psychedelic trance (omg it's so hippie on these psy parties kinda heaven on earth. everybody loves everybody.), progressive trance, ambient blah there are hundred styles...

I play progressive trance every saturday on solar FM.. too pitty the server is only for Bulgarian IPs.
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta sleep is what the brain craves to restore itself from the previous day's activity.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTj here... I'm a musician too.

Favorite styles: Speed/Trash Metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Sepultura, Testament, Exodus, Slayer, Pantera), Shred (Yngwie Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai), Classic Rock (Deep Purple, Led Zep,...), Drum n' Bass, Goa Trance, Texas Blues (SRV),...
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    My favorite bands: Blind Guardian, Coldplay, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Lacuna Coil, Led Zeppelin, The Mars Volta, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Radiohead, Symphony X, and Tool.

My personal favorite from The Mars Volta is Televators.
    Good stuff
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Creepy-.___.

I like:
    Classical Jazz Blues Heavy Metal Alternative.
    INTX

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite bands: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabath, Rolling Stones and The Mars Volta

I thought the red hot Chili Peppers and Rolling stones are awesome bands too. I would still probably say I still like Blink 182 and GOod Charlote better.
    ISFP, SEI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like rock N roll classic, country, and peaceful music. I don't like music style like for example heavy metal music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast