Thread: Type and Music Tastes

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INFj

I'm INFj and I listen to sickening synth cutesy and empty anime JPop music all the way when I'm happy.

In my depressive phase I go for almost any classical, baroque and romanticistic (1500-1900) european pieces.
    Balzac

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj, I listen mainly electronic : some techno like plastikman, a big variety of drum and bass sub genre (essentially for mix, new school from 2009/2010 to now and old school techstep or jungle debut from late 90 mainly), experimental (if not only based on geek pseudo intelligent clic clic ting boom, or at least do with emotion and life), breakcore (if based mainly on hard, harsh, screeching sound, and not too much IDM breakcore like now), some industrial stuff if not too repetitive, the core of all being mental sound (I begin with nl free party music from the end of nineteen, like [video=youtube;JWu2UkPtxsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVMNZzHYt4Q"]‪Curley - Axe Breaker - A - Axe Breaker Part 1‬‏ - YouTube[/url] , ‪CocoRosie - Raphael (With Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube , [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6bInhOhUYs[/video]). Some hip hop too (last like : crunk like the pack)

If not french I dont generally give much importance about lyrics. (because french are best lyricist, dont need to look outside ) .

I dont think ive a real aversion for a particular global genre, ive just some problem with some band and particular sub genre (as over sappy pseudo symphonic metal band who seem more interested to show their classical background for the sake of approval instead making real or interesting music)
    Last edited by noid; 07-22-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

-- Maurice Chapelain

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite genres of music are Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, JT Williams, Prokofiev, Holst, Brahms, Stravinsky, Borodin, and a number of other "classical" composers.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a 30 day music "challenge" a couple months ago. This should be a good enough indicator of my taste in music.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=35729

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an EII and I mostly listen to grunge, psychedelic rock, progressive rock and stoner rock.. Including bands/artists like soundgarden, stone temple pilots, the doors, joy division, frank zappa, queens of the stone age, them crooked vultures and the list goes on..

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZookeeperBoy View Post
    I'm an EII and I mostly listen to grunge, psychedelic rock, progressive rock and stoner rock.. Including bands/artists like soundgarden, stone temple pilots, the doors, joy division, frank zappa, queens of the stone age, them crooked vultures and the list goes on..
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=36644

While I believe that you may find any kind of person listening to any kind of music, this pattern of music is what I would, with high confidence, attribute to an IEI/INFp/INFP. I suspect you have EII( which you believe to be INFP/INFp) confused with IEI(which you believe to be INFj/INFJ).

Nice list, by the way.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    While I believe that you may find any kind of person listening to any kind of music, this pattern of music is what I would, with high confidence, attribute to an IEI/INFp/INFP. I suspect you have EII( which you believe to be INFP/INFp) confused with IEI(which you believe to be INFj/INFJ).
    This has been discussed before, and I'm absolutely sure I'm not from beta. Don't really know where people are getting the idea from. Both of my parents are betas, tho, and their taste of music may have had some influence on mine.

Anyways, I'm very much of a Fi person and a clearly expressed rational too. One of my closest friends ever is a LSE and our relationship really seems more like duality than conflict to me.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZookeeperBoy View Post

This has been discussed before, and I'm absolutely sure I'm not from beta. Don't really know where people are getting the idea from. Both of my parents are betas, tho, and their taste of music may have had some influence on mine.

Anyways, I'm very much of a Fi person and a clearly expressed rational too. One of my closest friends ever is a LSE and our relationship really seems more like duality than conflict to me.
    Yeah I saw the thread that discussed your type. It's odd that the types offered for you were mostly Beta(EIE, SLE, & IEI), coming from a range of peoples(accepting some influence of bandwagon effect, of course). Weeks later, I see this post listing your music preferences and conclude IEI and realize you were that person from the other thread.

Something is definitely going on here.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Yeah I saw the thread that discussed your type. It's odd that the types offered for you were mostly Beta(EIE, SLE, & IEI), coming from a range of peoples(accepting some influence of bandwagon effect, of course). Weeks later, I see this post listing your music preferences and conclude IEI and realize you were that person from the other thread.

Something is definitely going on here.
    Yeah, it may also have something to do with the way Creep presented me. But this is getting off topic.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Gamma = mainstream shitty pop music
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    You say that because you dont like mainstream shitty pop music, and you're an alpha, so you figure "all the music I hate=gamma, wohoo!"

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Alpha music:

(alright I think this dude's pretty awesome as hell)
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My view is that there's no fixed relationship between the listener's type and preferred music. However, in individual cases, a person's extreme like/dislike of music could be related to type.

For example, I know an ILE who didn't like a composer whom I type as LIE. I saw this as a quasi-identical conflict. However, I think a lot of other people who are also ILE probably like that composer or other LIE-related music.

Similarly, I know an ILI who particularly likes a composer whom I type as SEE. I think type may have something to do with this person's strong liking for that composer, but other ILIs don't necessarily like that composer or even have a special preference for SEE music.

So, I think it's very individual, but at that level you can see type and functions as being related.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some pop, mostly rock (classic or alternative), hip hop beats not lyrics, country lyrics (though I haven't really listened since the mid 90s), sappy love songs, foreign music that I can admit is more or less objectively terrible, indie, classic isn't bad but I have to find specifically good stuff, female singers in general, acoustic guitar.

EDIT: Oh I forgot a lot of older RPG music, these are sort of sadder and more somber examples

Last edited by munenori2; 07-25-2011 at 07:51 AM.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to see more people like their quadra-valued artists more, but it depends mostly on the genre and other individual tastes. I definitely hear information element values in music even nonlyrical, which has helped me to type artists, but music is even more an unconscious contrast than human relationships are for most people, when it comes to Socionics. For instance, Tchaikovsky being classically, fluid harmonically, and melodically influenced by Mozart's classical.

I'm respectively sure they were INFP and Ne-INFJ, I hear a lot of value difference in terms what it seems they each desired to express: you can really notice a big difference in melodic and harmonic expression despite the music keeping the same overall feel (I know, it's difficult to understand exactly what I'm talking about, but studying these composers in depth it's the way I conceptualize this chemistry.) Tchaikovsky's music is unquestionably flavored and embellished throughout in what I see as with rooted subtle (and I've read his biographies and his pictures, strikingly similar to my own and typical identicals), yet there's nothing much at all superficial about his taste and love of Mozart.

I personally don't like Mozart that much, but absolutely adore Tchaikovsky. I even love some of Wagner's music, and he was my conflictor. I really love Rachmaninoff and Brahms and think they're geniuses, but believe them to be Alpha-rational duals, yet have an emotional undertone I grasp and adore even based from my ignoring function. Tchaikovsky adored some of Mozart's music more than anything, it was a real treat for him, especially when young and music as an involved collection was not so common. That's how music goes. It seems like more of an obvious genre similarity in taste to me (just like how I have tastes in listening, but don't always compose using that set of [expressing] tastes.) But genre isn't a general thing, the artists amazing talent is what makes a genre come alive.

So all in all, per example: you can register something with very deeply even though it was expressed with , or visa versa, from a musical standpoint. This isn't always the case and it's more likely and more easily interpreted, as well as much more personally understood for what it really meant, for the expressed information elements to be the same as the ones interpreting or attempting to enjoy/connect with. For instance, my most favorite composers are INFJ, and that's a coincidence. I don't think this will be the case for everyone, but surely much more so than conflictor. I like Wagner but probably just because he has talent I can admire. I don't feel a connection as much with composers outside my quadra.

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think there is many relation to musical taste and type. There inevitably is, but, as you say, you can like for some reason your conflictor. As many stuff suggest (it was discussed in this forum and on a note on wikisocion), it can be because great composer have the talent of speaking to an "universal person" ie able to explore many IM.

Too, remember that there is many amalgam that can disperse you, for exemple Se = violence so Se Polr cant stand violent music, ect.
    Se elements are hard for me to get, right, but this has nothing to do with violence - I can hear hatty, violent music, dissonant and mindfucking music without any Se element. But I can recognize what is Se element into beethoven music for example. This remind me a funny comment on beethoven music, probably made by a Se PoLR :

"Beethoven has always been for me like a sack of nails wich we overthrow, with , from time to time, a hammer hit."

Imo many great composer where from all quadra.

IDK what the type of rachmaninov (type often as alpha), and brahms was probably EII > ILI > LII (not any real Se into his music dont suggest Ni Se valuer).

Mozart is often typed as ENFP (but the more I read the more I think EII Ne or IEE Fi). Simpson anime let think that he was ILE, admitting bart is one and he take the mozart role in 1 show . Requiem isnt too bad X| , but right ive a taste problem with mozart too. Hes definitelly overrated

Tchaikovsky type : idk, data are scarce on his internal thinking, his behavior. I would say Si Ne axis for 90% sure judging only from his music. He was a genius, yes. Si seem obvious (a general impression of flowing structure, and not many trace of static IM, and his music dont remind Ni music style), perhaps Ne less. Alpha or delta : IDK. We can see seemingly Fi stuff too, INFj - Ne is possible, admitting this from the fact that artist often try to represent their ideal ie super id (come from wikisocion).

Alpha music:
    some geeky video
    lol owned

you can register something with Fi very deeply even though it was expressed with Fe , or visa versa, from a musical standpoint.
    +1
    Last edited by noid; 07-25-2011 at 03:12 PM.

-- Maurice Chapelain

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tunnel vision socionic way

Ive to admit to you something really interesting : I never see you as INTp, you definitely SiNe > SeNi.

-- Maurice Chapelain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post

I'm respectively sure they were INFP and Ne-INFJ
    From context, I think you're saying Mozart-INFp, Tchaikovsky Ne-INFj.
    I'm curious how you see that reflecting in their music. Tchaikovsky is known for big, soaring, overt expression. His form seems to be based on a sort of story of varying moods, so that, for example, perhaps there's a sense of anticipation of darkness, and then this is met with a surprising bit of happiness, which is then interrupted by angst, etc. ...and that gives it it's long-term flow and coherence. So it seems as if it is emotional aspect of the music that is associated with the "dynamic" quality rather than the "static" nature. That seems to conflict with how I envision a Te approach to music would be...very efficient, direct, strategic handling of form. That's why it sounds Fe to me.

Similarly, Mozart's emotional expression seems so restrained; there appears to be an undercurrent of morality and good will there. The direct, classical approach to form seems related to Te. That's why his music sounds more Fi-based in my perspective.

But I'm aware that there's a lot of divergence of opinion in regard to how the IM elements may be expressed. In fact, Augusta and Filatova pretty consistently typed classical composers into opposite quadras....probably because what one thought an expression of Xi, the other considered an expression of Xe, and vice versa.

I'm interested in understanding your point of view though. To me, Tchaikovsky's music always sounded ESE, but I'm aware that his biography seems more consistent with an introvert. Augusta typed him LII, although he would have been an odd LII. I think she had a bias to think composers are LII more often that not.

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I really love Rachmaninoff and Brahms and think they're geniuses, but believe them to be Alpha-rational duals, yet have an emotional undertone I grasp and adore even based from my ignoring function.
    I think you've typed Brahms as ESE in some other post? That's also very different from how I see him, although some rational Ne/Si type seems likely. I'm curious how you see it. Does anything in his biography suggest ESE?

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've been having a bit of a Cannibal Corpse binge

That part about 0:31 in, where it sounds like the whole thing's falling apart - I love it!

It's hard to be unmotivated or feeling bad when these dudes are just roaring away...

I've also been having a bit of a Deerhoof spree too, here's one they did, feels pretty Delta/Alpha quadra to me it's really friendly and optimistic and I like it...

p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death metal, some other genres of metal, and Alternative rock

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've used music to type sometimes, you can even tell mirrors apart, ex: if likes IDM -> LII, if likes DnB -> ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed a lot of deltas like country or just easygoing music in generally like dave matthews band.

I've noticed alphas gravitate toward electronic music, some types of metal like power metal (which I hate), and according to this forum the alpha NTs all like classical and jazz. I've noticed a lot of them have similar musical tastes to deltas.

I've known gammas to like extreme forms of music like really heavy gangster type rap or death metal.. Most of them Ive met love rap and they seem to be the easiest people to get into metal. Also Ive known quite a few that like indie alternative rock..

For betas I really dont know.. my LSI brother likes Country, indie rock, and rap rock. My IEI friend loves indie rock and some rap. The EIEs I know really like rap and some alternative rock..

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many delta like stuff as radiohead, portishead, air, ect... As alpha they tend to like some form of experimental music too, cuz Ne probably.
    Johnatan, my first guess for tchaikovsky what really similar than your, it was isfp.

-- Maurice Chapelain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an View Post
    I've known gammas to like extreme forms of music like really heavy gangster type rap or death metal.. Most of them Ive met love rap and they seem to be the easiest people to get into metal. Also Ive known quite a few that like indie alternative rock..
    I don't know any Gammas who are into rap or metal. However, my Gammas may not be the same type as your Gammas. I've noticed that some ESIs like soft pop (Celine Dion, etc.). Most Gamma NTs I know like classical or jazz. However, that may be because I tend to associate more with people who like classical, so I don't personally know that many people who are very into blasting very loud metal.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I don't know any Gammas who are into rap or metal. However, my Gammas may not be the same type as your Gammas. I've noticed that some ESIs like soft pop (Celine Dion, etc.). Most Gamma NTs I know like classical or jazz. However, that may be because I tend to associate more with people who like classical, so I don't personally know that many people who are very into blasting very loud metal.
    I was merely stating my observations of what music each quadra seems to be attracted to rather than pure fact. It doesnt surprise me that you know gammas with different tastes than the tastes of gammas I know. Im really skeptical of music taste being type related in the first place.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im really skeptical of music taste being type related in the first place.
    Yeah, me too. I think there's a connection between functions and music at an individual case-by-case level, but there are no absolute rules connecting type and music taste that would apply to groups of people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12