Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deltas what do you do for a living?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agee View Post
    Eat, Sleep, Shit...you know...the usual.
    So, my cat lives better life than you?

He snuggles, and greets people, and wages battles.

There is disappoint.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you get paid for that? sweet..
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post

(This is kind of a Fe-PoLR thing. If I go back and look again I'm sure I'll find some examples of people who work in drug-related industries, and if so, please try to ignore me.)
    even if they do, doesn't mean they disagree with you on the topic.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    My fav pizza place.. everything is just perfect. Beta run and operated tho.

Antico.
    Ooh, is that the place with the giant communal tables and all?

If so, I've prob'ly had ten other people (both local and not even close) demand I try it.

Beta or not, you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
    Yes it is that place. I'm arranging a meet of some sort really soon. But if you want to just meet up there, I'm always up for Antico.

I know I can get at least Glam out but not sure about anyone else on short notice.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post

(This is kind of a Fe-PoLR thing. If I go back and look again I'm sure I'll find some examples of people who work in drug-related industries, and if so, please try to ignore me.)
    even if they do, doesn't mean they disagree with you on the topic.
    Well, and also, a few years ago I myself worked at a place that I wouldn't have approved of, if I had really understood what they were doing. I got a temp job, which led to a permanent job (followed by a layoff), at a place that made electronic components which were sold to other factories. They were involved with the military and with all of the military-industrial corporations like Raytheon. They sold parts to companies that made a wide variety of mysterious and evil things, such as radio frequency weapons, which, again, if I had known, I would not have wanted to work there.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Yeah I was going to say--didn't sound like siuntal was in the corporate sphere of pharma. Those guys might get paid well (especially up top on the ladder). Researchers are very underpaid. Though I imagine doing research in industry can pay slightly better than doing research at a similar level in academia.
    The very first job that I got was actually in corporate pharma, but the entry-level positions there - ones you can get right after graduation - don't pay well. It's about same as postdoc salary, only that they try to hire you part-time to avoid providing benefits, while as a postdoc you usually have all of that covered. The guys a level up get paid well, but to get to there one needs a lot of experience in the field and an advanced degree (as I remember all of our group leaders had either PhDs or PharmDs).

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    Neat! I am also working on getting a BSc in EE, except I've specialized into nanoengineering.

(long-quote snip)
    Heh well for signal processing I kinda expected a lot of programming to be used. My microprocessors class had a professor who thought it'd be best to teach in a very hands on method. So our lab consisted of messing around with a DSP, doing all soldering/wire-wrapping ourselves (except for a surface-mount volatile memory chip), and reading through the documentation to figure out how the damn thing operated. At first we programmed the DSP in assembly, but later on we just used C (lots...and lots...of C). After learning about the z-transforms in an analytical methods course, I kinda figured there was a strong connection between programming and signal processing. Also: math (duh). Which is totally fine with me I like programming, I'd need to review math a bit more though.

Kinda sad to hear that field work is more management/"technician" while design is a desk job, but I already expected that. I was thinking about going to grad school for that reason (as you said, a lot of companies are willing to pay for your MBA, the one I interned at was also willing to pay for your masters as long as you signed for a commitment of 2 years). Id take them up on the MA, but not the MBA. I've talked to those who went the BS+MBA route, and I got the impression of what you stated.

Average starting pay for an EE is around $60k US. Referencing this with my own experience and friends', it seems to be about right (with those working for oil companies making something stupid like $80k right out of school). $100k CAD with a masters seems pretty out there, though! I thought it was somewhere around $70-80k US for a masters, $90k+ for Ph.D stuff.

I might have to make a move to Canada

Unrelated: Man, fuck solid state Its like "Oh, so you thought you were done with chemistry in freshman year? FALSE, motherfucker."
    Last edited by SupaClassy; 09-04-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SupaClassy View Post
    Neat! I am also working on getting a BSc in EE, except I've specialized into nanoengineering.

(long-quote snip)
    [...]

Average starting pay for an EE is around $60k US. Referencing this with my own experience and friends', it seems to be about right (with those working for oil companies making something stupid like $80k right out of school). $100k CAD with a masters seems pretty out there, though! I thought it was somewhere around $70-80k US for a masters, $90k+ for Ph.D stuff.

I might have to make a move to Canada
    Oh, don't take my sources too seriously. Yours may be more accurate in terms of averages. I am heavily influenced by those who work in my area of interest, which funnily enough is...

Unrelated: Man, fuck solid state Its like "Oh, so you thought you were done with chemistry in freshman year? FALSE, motherfucker."
    Solid-state is where it's at! Although, my institution emphasizes quantum mechanics moreso than chemistry, which may be why I find it so enjoyable. Ah, but solid-state eventually must focus on QM, so give it some time.

Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    So, my cat lives better life than you?

He snuggles, and greets people, and wages battles.

There is disappoint.
    Isn't its name Ryu, for I could of sworn I saw it posting on here some time ago. Talking about disappointment, are you going to let it type one last time. Pretty please.

you get paid for that? sweet..
    Sounds like SLI...
    Last edited by Absurd; 09-06-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One reason why I made this thread is because I have a stereotype in my mind that says that certain types of people can only work in certain types of places. I've seen a lot of things in here that give me more detail about where the various types of people actually do work.

Some of the stereotypes are true - it really does tend to be difficult for some people to find jobs that use their greatest strengths, and they do often go into jobs that are not really what they wish they could be doing.

I myself often feel like is a really lame base function that I can't make money from, while I envy other people who have a base and feel more confident about starting their own businesses and that kind of thing.

Actually, none of this would be as much of a problem as it is, if the economy were better, if the cost of living were lower, if rent and property taxes were lower, and so on. There would simply be less pressure to constantly make money, make money, make money.

It's interesting to see that intuitives are working in 'physical' jobs. That's one of the biggest stereotypes that I've been trying to un-learn. I have this belief that 'all the intuitives have gone to college and are now working as professors, scientists, book authors, etc.' Meanwhile, it turns out that some of them are currently working in restaurants (CiLi's list) and many other places that aren't 'intuitive' jobs.

My old best friend Rachael was an IEE. She was born with cerebral palsy. It messed up her coordination and her perception. She was really, really bad at doing fast-food kinds of jobs. She totally lacked the common sense needed to work with food and tools and hot objects, and her lack of common sense was actually dangerous. I'm not making fun of her, I sympathized with her. She used to tell me the horror stories of the kinds of things she did when she tried working in a pizza place. She had to quit that job. She always was looking for some kind of job where she would not be hazardous to herself and others. Some of it was from the coordination and perception problems, and it was combined with the weakness of sensing associated with being an IEE.

She tried going to a rehabilitation place, so that they could train her and help her get a job, but I forget whether that actually helped or not. I don't recall if they successfully got her a job she could do. I don't know what she's doing now because we haven't communicated in a long time.

But I am interested in knowing what kinds of jobs are good for people who have difficulty doing fast-food kinds of jobs. I know from my own experience that fast food jobs are easy to find. I can just drive down the street and stop someplace and fill out an application. What on earth do *other* people do to get a job? What if they can't do fast food work? It would seem like they're screwed.

It's hard for me to use my imagination and envision all the potential jobs that exist, the jobs that are not visible, the jobs where you don't necessarily just walk in and fill out an application. I loved the concept of the book 'What Color Is Your Parachute.' He said that a 'job' doesn't necessarily even 'exist,' until you see the opportunity and go talk to them and convince them that they need your help. It has to occur to someone that a particular person needs this service, which you can provide. Sometimes they don't even know that they could benefit from using your service. They don't know that the service exists. They aren't aware that they have a need. I think that this is what's great about Ne because they are able to see opportunities that are not yet visible.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, and also, I think that the demonstrative function can be used in your job, because it too is very strong. That's one reason why I've been interested in the demonstrative function and why I started that thread about it a while back.

My demonstrative Ti seems to be useful for things like computer programming and bookkeeping. I am easily able to do things that require me to follow a particular 'grammar' and follow logical rules. My SLI brother is doing computer programming right now. So, your demonstrative function can be used for your job too even if you supposedly don't 'value' the demonstrative function.

I think we need a better term to describe the 'valued' and 'disvalued' functions, because, in a way, I do actually 'value' my demonstrative . I just don't know what word should be used to describe the feeling that I have for that function. It's true when they say that the demonstrative plays a big role in your life, and it is not just some unimportant function that you can forget about because it's in the id block.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need a better term to describe the 'valued' and 'disvalued' functions, because, in a way, I do actually 'value' my demonstrative . I just don't know what word should be used to describe the feeling that I have for that function. It's true when they say that the demonstrative plays a big role in your life, and it is not just some unimportant function that you can forget about because it's in the id block.
    The way I think about them is "foreground" vs. "background", or maybe "motivating" vs. "supporting". We use them but it's in service of the valued functions. There is also a special distinction between functions 1 4 5 8 and 2 3 6 7; I like to think the former are more key to self-actualization, being the weakest and strongest functions respectively.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    The way I think about them is "foreground" vs. "background", or maybe "motivating" vs. "supporting". We use them but it's in service of the valued functions. There is also a special distinction between functions 1 4 5 8 and 2 3 6 7; I like to think the former are more key to self-actualization, being the weakest and strongest functions respectively.
    great phoenix avatar! (or dragon, or whatever it is)

Those words do work better for me - I'll keep that in mind.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...on_dichotomies

The dichotomy is evaluatory and situational and I think it's a pretty important functional dichotomy. Strong judgements are made in evaluatory functions.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...on_dichotomies

The dichotomy is evaluatory and situational and I think it's a pretty important functional dichotomy. Strong judgements are made in evaluatory functions.
    ah yes, I like those descriptions.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great videos. Did you decide you were EII? Or is it still not settled yet? *edit*, no, it says later in the second video that you also considered ILI.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, i musta been watching them at the same time as Nico1e.

I won't do a typing, but I did want to say, Shayley, that I enjoyed watching the interaction between you and your son.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Solid-state is where it's at! Although, my institution emphasizes quantum mechanics moreso than chemistry, which may be why I find it so enjoyable. Ah, but solid-state eventually must focus on QM, so give it some time.

It moved from chemistry to quantum fairly quickly (introduction of Planck's constant being a huge hint), but just the idea of the periodic table put a bad taste in my mouth. I never liked chemistry for its "X mixed with Y will yield Z, except for these cases. Why? Just because." I HATE memorizing something without really understanding it, which early chemistry involved a lot of.

Its week three, we're doing some Fermi level stuff. Much more manageable, now that I once again have some equations to put my hands on and can visualize whats going on. Brains all happy.

Curious, how far along are you in school?

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan to work casually, or a 20-hour week to cover living expenses incurred by my grandma providing lodging for me ($150/week; 20-hour week would net me $200/wk). At the moment, I'm working on a game project that will require me to:

Write my own game engine (requires Java proficiency).
    Produce my own art and music resources (requires tracker and Inkscape proficiency, as well as all those motor skills I glossed over developing )
    Write the story for the game.

I've been doing it for a week, clocking in a meager 3~4 hours of learning a day. Suits me just fine, and I'm totally stoked about it.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm studying at the moment, however I also have two jobs to pay for fees and living etc.

Firstly, I'm working in a theatre as a technician. I love this job, every day I work there is different, it's really laid back, although sometimes you have to work really hard for really long shifts. It's a receiving house, that shows touring one day to sohrt run shows, including rock and roll (we get all the acts that were big in the 60s to 80s and the odd one that were big in the 90s), to circus, theatre, kids shows, award ceremonys, fitness competitions, pro wrestling, ice shows the lot. And I get to do loads of different roles, dick about, occasionally challnge myself and also be lazy...

Unfortunately, I only usually get a few shifts a month.

So I've also recently started working booking appointments for medical reps. It's a bit boring, but the people are nice and we have really nice offices with a little lake outside and ducks and stuff and it's really laid back, so you know... it's ok,

I've had way worse jobs and the informal, friendly atmosphere and the fact that I don't have to take work home, really suits me right now.
    IEE-Ne

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayley View Post
    Great videos. Did you decide you were EII? Or is it still not settled yet? *edit*, no, it says later in the second video that you also considered ILI.
    Unfortunately am still undecided though am thinking that a type with Si Polr or Si mobilizing function/hidden agenda fits best. So am some kind of XNXj.
    Yeah, I didn't do a 'formal' typing in any way, just an impression, but when I jump to conclusions, I'm usually totally in the wrong universe. I just felt comfortable with you, I liked you, and when I watched your facial expressions, I felt myself merging with you as your eyes looked at something in the distance that was not in the room - I felt as though my own facial expression could match and follow yours, without pain or anxiety or distrust; this feels like someone I could feel comfortable around, someone I could trust. Your daughter said that you had high moral expectations of them, but that you did not 'force' anyone to obey those moral expectations.

I could be totally wrong, and I usually am, but I just had that EII impression. I guess we will see, over time.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My interests in careers has evolved through out my life but after dealing with some medical issues I decided to go into nursing and atm I'm working on a degree. I think I've learned patience and empathy for the sick from being sick myself so I feel like I can do some good there.

Although in the back of my mind I like the idea of owning a small bakery/cafe in the future but the economy is too shaky atm and I don't have the money for it anyways
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a thread similar to this in the Beta forum, and remembered that I had wanted to ask it of Deltas, too. How do you get paid? Where does the money come from? Or if you're not working, who's helping you, married to you, or whatever?
    I'm an exploration geologist working on an advanced-stage, $1.6 billion after-tax gold deposit (construction starts in 2013).

We are currently defining the deposit, and that involves a drill program generates more meterage in a month than 90% of junior exploration companies see in a year.

As a new grad, I'm doing the equivalent of 'grunt' work in logging the core (data collection), but it's right up my alley because I'm using and expanding my geological skill set, and I am being paid a criminally-large amount of money for which I'm extremely thankful and not taking for granted.

It's a great fit for my temperment, but it's not for everyone. We work ten-hour days and follow a rotation of four weeks on (28 days straight), two weeks off. I don't mind this, especially since I stay in a house and the company pays for my rent and food (and a cook).

Ultimately, I will use this experience to go toward a 48-month long 'geoscientist-in-training' program that results in 'Professional Geoscientist' accreditation that will afford me the responsibility to sign my name to exploration programs. At that point I would like to either manage programs, or start my own company.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    I aim to influence the world as much as possible.
    How so?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going into my final (4th) year. What about you?
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Going into my final (4th) year. What about you?
    Same, just started my 4th year.

Not my final year, though. Got at least one semester left after this one.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kassie View Post
    website design has always seemed interesting to me. i'm curious how you got into it, Minde.
    A few years ago I decided to work as an intern in a local state representative's office. I wasn't sure at that point what I wanted my career to be, but it was an open opportunity doing some potentially interesting work. As the youngest member of the staff and thus the bottom of the totem pole I got all the jobs no one else wanted to do, such as running errands, filing things, fixing cell phones that had been left outside overnight, and updating the website. Apparently my qualifications for doing the website also included my amazing experience with computers (which really wasn't all that much, but I guess being the youngest I was automatically the "expert"...).

Being a semi-perfectionist, I wanted to do it right so I taught myself HTML and then CSS. After a little bit, I decided that hand-updating pages of HTML was a pain, at which point I got introduced to content management systems. Then I discovered that not only could I be good at building (and styling) sites with it but I could make money, too. And the rest is history.

So now I'm in a career that I wouldn't have really thought of as a likelihood at the beginning of it.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I'm an exploration geologist working on an advanced-stage, $1.6 billion after-tax gold deposit (construction starts in 2013).

We are currently defining the deposit, and that involves a drill program generates more meterage in a month than 90% of junior exploration companies see in a year.

As a new grad, I'm doing the equivalent of 'grunt' work in logging the core (data collection), but it's right up my alley because I'm using and expanding my geological skill set, and I am being paid a criminally-large amount of money for which I'm extremely thankful and not taking for granted.

It's a great fit for my temperment, but it's not for everyone. We work ten-hour days and follow a rotation of four weeks on (28 days straight), two weeks off. I don't mind this, especially since I stay in a house and the company pays for my rent and food (and a cook).

Ultimately, I will use this experience to go toward a 48-month long 'geoscientist-in-training' program that results in 'Professional Geoscientist' accreditation that will afford me the responsibility to sign my name to exploration programs. At that point I would like to either manage programs, or start my own company.
    One of my best friends is an SLI and an exploration geologist as well. She's in her second year of her Masters and currently working on a gold prospecting project in Burundi
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I clean toilets. Just like Good Will Hunting.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently doing parttime clerical work for a perfume company, and am taking classes in cinema studies. I put labels on bottles, scan things in, and do some other tasks. I've had several previous clerical jobs.

My dream is to become a film editor for a company and be able to be creative in my job. My dream for a while has been to work for Pixar, but I know i will have to get a lot more experience under my belt and smooth out my skills. I would be grateful to have any job with that, even on the smaller scale. I started working with a film editing mentor, and have made some projects for people in the past (non-paid at this point.)
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123