Thread: Which functions would you attribute this too?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which functions would you attribute this too?

I have a quote here, and I'm curious as to what people would think it is describing (in functional terms).

"Was Mario a well behaved child? 'It was as if he had one of these', says Pierrette [his mother], indicating a halo over his head. When young Mario's halo slipped, it uncovered a stubborn streak more suited to a pack mule than a cherub. He was, and is, a rotten loser, whether at Monopoly, cards or basement hockey. Tantrums followed losses. 'If Mario lost, it would be as if a hurricane went through the basement,' says Jean Guy [his father]."
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a sore loser is not really directly connectable to type. If anything, it's a kind of narcissism (Ne/Si).
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well behaved child...it could be (social norms), stubborn -rationality, tuntrum - emotions + destructive power .
    The only problem is that children are children, they all more emotional, more stubborn, and all need to be loved and valued - that is why they like to be good for parents, when they are treated rihgt. It sounded like my baby.
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Being a sore loser is not really directly connectable to type. If anything, it's a kind of narcissism (Ne/Si).
    An Ne or Si type would have a violent fit because they lost a game or didn't get their way? Care to provide some reasoning for this?

I seem to recall a similar attitude being attributed to the EIE/ENFj type in descriptions, and I have observed similar behavior in an EIE friend. Perhaps the Fe signals sent by such an action are intended as a tool to change the outcome of the game, by convincing the other player to allow special circumstances that are in the losing party's favor. Other Fe types might use similar behavior, although I can't see an SEI/ISFp doing such a thing, as they tend to be non-confrontational due to their desire to seek comfort, especially in emotions.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which functions would you attribute this too?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I have a quote here, and I'm curious as to what people would think it is describing (in functional terms).

"Was Mario a well behaved child? 'It was as if he had one of these', says Pierrette [his mother], indicating a halo over his head. When young Mario's halo slipped, it uncovered a stubborn streak more suited to a pack mule than a cherub. He was, and is, a rotten loser, whether at Monopoly, cards or basement hockey. Tantrums followed losses. 'If Mario lost, it would be as if a hurricane went through the basement,' says Jean Guy [his father]."
    yep. sounds like a kid to me.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niveK
    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    An Ne or Si type would have a violent fit because they lost a game or didn't get their way?
    YES... all the time.

Anyway, the reason I posted this was because it was a quote I found in Niednagel's book illustrating an ISTP. He's Mario Lemieux, a hockey player. Just curious of others' interpretations of it.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a LIE friend which is exactly like that, so, I don't think we can actually clearly relate it to type.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I have a LIE friend which is exactly like that, so, I don't think we can actually clearly relate it to type.
    To be honest, I thought this type of behavior was mostly related to - so it still works.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTP's descriptions usually say they are competitive, but Si is accociated with balancing emotional levels, suppressing the highs and trying to raise things when they are low, so I cant imagine them usually having outbursts as it goes out of their comfort zone, and also requires a strong use of / and opens them up to Fe, the POLR, unless they were particularly self-confidant or very comfortable with the people around them.

I think this kind of thing is more to do with upbringing, self-confidance, life experiences etc, eg things that shape people from the environment, and of course is more prevelent amoug kids and teenagers who learn to control their anger as adults etc, eg I think type is not strongly correlated, but maybe weakly correlated.

When looking at professional sportsplayers or other 'non-typical people' who have lived non-typical lives, its always a must to bear in mind that their life experiences are probably a little different to the average person, and hence the impact of environmental factors on their personality will differ slightly.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ISFj brother can be a bit of a sore loser. My ISTp husband isn't at all a sore loser, but he said he thinks it's because he's so used to losing He hates to lose, definitely, but he has good sportsmanship.

My ENFj dad is a really gracious loser. He never brags about doing well either. And he's always been a great athlete.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could it be ralated to and violence? I mean strong Se and poor Se?
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The poorest losers I have ever met were ENTJ. That is not to say that all ENTJs are sore loosers. Ive known some ISTPs that will reach inside and pull out some inner resource to win in a competition even when they were loosing all along. If they do loose at anything it gets to them, they dont like to let it show but attention will be even higher and keener the next time around. Everyone can be competative in their particular area of expertese though. I become wildly competative (in a funny, dramatic way) when playing word games, drawing or some thinking games (I imagine Im supposed to be good at these) and somewhat sheepish when playing some physical sport even if I do well (see travelers thread on functions.)

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Removed.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, I can safely say I'm not a sore loser. I can playfully create drama and yell "fuck fuck fuck fuck" for 5 seconds, but then I don't care. I think nobody can be a sore loser because losing is an objective fact, and therefore we just have to accept it. Big time difference with my other LIE friend, he can actually try to make up rules but he does it only in games in which he feels competent.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit