Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rationality

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rationality.

Let me hear about it.

The rationalist state is one that I've found interesting because I don't experience it often. In short, what is it like? What does it feel like when you are in rational mode?

Irrationality to me is basically like floating along without any sense of time, duty, or obligation, and basically having things go on in your head in slow motion. I lose track of what I "should" be doing, and find myself bouncing around in a way that's unpredictable to most other people. Sometimes they don't understand what I'm doing or why I'm here... there... wait, back over there... and then *whoos* I'm gone again. I often have comments that are out of place, which leads other people to wonder whether or not I am crazy, but at the same time they find it funny (which in familar settings has lead the attention to be swayed back my way even though I don't usually consciously make that a goal, or people weren't paying attention to me in the first place). I admit that the last part may just be Irrational Introversion, or possibally just me.

It seems to me that rationality is basically a state of willful actions which grants someone the power to not lose track of what the say or do. Not that I'm out-of-control, I know exactly what it is I'm doing, it's just that I seem way off pace with everyone else; hence the distinction.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.socionics.us/theory/rat_irr.shtml

cross out anything that's listed in the diagnostic criteria for ADD, and irrationality doesn't sound like me at all. The rational things that I relate to particularly well are as follows:

# attention focused on correct actions and emotions (logic and ethics), which produce certain states of mind and body (intuition and sensing)
    # act according to their expectation of a situation; form an expectation or plan, then act
    # during communication attention is focused on words and speech
    # immediate reactions to words, actions, and emotion
    # internal tension (readiness)
    # straight lines and angles in face and body
    # sharper, brighter emotions as immediate response to others' emotions, actions, and words
    # less moody, but moods last longer
    # often have difficulty relaxing after tasks are over
    # like to discuss their actions, emotions, attachments, and rules of relationship
    # sequential relationship development: “we're dating;” “we're together now;” “we're living together now;” etc.
    # emotional and physical closeness increases or decreases linearly
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    # act according to their expectation of a situation; form an expectation or plan, then act
    This sounds like specifically.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of what was listed sound more like N/S and I/E things to me *shrugs*
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In any case, what I was more looking for was personal experiences living with rationality.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't write for either side, even if I knew 100% for certain if I'm rational or irrational, I'm not a typical version of either.
    SEE

Creepy-

Forget it

Creepy-

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cross out anything that's listed in the diagnostic criteria for ADD,
    [/b]
    Read: cross out everything that doesn't fit me

"One ISFp came to me about how a strong j ISTj woman was "just not cool", because she evaluated their date together - the place, the food, the service, etc etc etc. I continued to explain to him the difference between j and p types (seriously), and he agreed that she was a j"

This is called being an ISTj ass, not being a j. Seriosuly, evalutating a "date" is totally irrespectful

Rocky: I kind of have no clue as to how to describe my natural state of being. I'm probably too used to it.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UDP, much of the criteria you list of being "rational" can be equated to "having a stick up your ass".

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    UDP, much of the criteria you list of being "rational" can be equated to "having a stick up your ass".
    Oh, I'm sorry.

I didn't mean to offend you.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    Oh, I'm sorry.

I didn't mean to offend you.
    Lol, that wasn't offensive for me! I just think that some things are off-mark. For example the drug dealing thing etc etc maybe, just maybe, the realtionship part was okay

Creepy-

I just think that some things are off-mark. For example the drug dealing thing etc etc maybe, just maybe, the realtionship part was okay

.......so, what are you trying to say?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think that some things are off-mark. For example the drug dealing thing etc etc maybe, just maybe, the realtionship part was okay

.......so, what are you trying to say?
    That the relationship differences between J and P you listed might be right

Creepy-

Oh well... let me assure you, the ISFps relationship with the drug addict was not fabriacted in any way at all. It was really bad.

That has doesn't necessarily have everything to do with type, though, save for the fact that the ISFp was so very blinded to his so called values.

If he were more j -- and I know because he told me -- he would have handled things differently.

End of story, though. Next topic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was more of a diatribe against irrationality than an elucidation of rationality. the drug thing that is...

i am not sure what to say in regard to this discussion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[*]Another example: An ISFp I know would much rather spend money on jewlelry than pay off all of his bills, or get a bigger/better appartment. Irrationals seem ver much into Instant Gratification, sometimes regardless of consequences even.
    I don't know about other people, but this one doesn't sound like me. Maybe it's to do with a poor thinking function.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cross out anything that's listed in the diagnostic criteria for ADD,
    Read: cross out everything that doesn't fit me
    yeah... I have ADD. There are non-ADD differences between rational and irrational types, too.

Okay, if this money thing has anything to do with rationality or irrationality, I am definitely a rational type. When we had the movers here to unpack the moving truck, right away they commented on how big and nice the house was. They asked how I could afford this house, being so young. Then they opened up the truck... as they carried in our furniture and appliances, they started to kid about how crappy the stuff was. I said, "That's how I can afford this house... I shop for furniture in my friend's and relative's basements." I refuse to spend money on something like furniture just because it's "pretty" while I'm still renting... or for that matter, any time soon. What a friggin waste of money.
    SEE

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rationality

Just a couple of examples from my life - which can be more related to rationality of ISFJ than in general?. I need to know things now (poor intuiton ), If somebody said the beginning of the sentence - I need to know the end too - that is why I have to be pushy if I want to survive. My room can be a mess at times because I need to concentrate on something first- one thing at a time and it takes time usually (poor intuition and applied logic result in the lack of flexibility and missing on chances ). I think it would be interesting to compare tow levels of functioning ( extraverted -behaviour and introverted - thought process).
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rationality

Quote Originally Posted by Olga
    If somebody said the beginning of the sentence - I need to know the end too - that is why I have to be pushy if I want to survive.
    Makes a lot of sense for an ISFj, but as you suspected, I don't think it's necessarily a rational thing.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i think of rationality i think of the style of particular kinds of writers predating the advent of existentialism. if you want to learn to think rational i would highly recommend their works. a good example would be Summa Theologiae by aquinas or even something like the adventures of sherlock holmes by sir arthur conan doyle. however the mystics (like descartes) though rational should imo be avoided if you seek a fundamental comprehension

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's rationality then I doubt I want to be apart of it. :/ The idea that anything that cannot be explained with reason should be ignored is hogwash to me.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you misunderstand me. i agree with your sentiments on Rationality but i am discussing rationality not Rationality :/ the content is meaningless in this scenario. reading the works i am suggesting you read would lead to a rationalistic mindset much like playing a musical instrument would create an Si? Pi? mindset. you can read something and take something of value of it whether or not the content is correct. your mind will be a failure until you learn to juxtapose the temporal value of a given thing so that you can see how your approach to it would vary with the order in which you received the information and/or how it would vary with the reception of partial data rocky

maybe that would be a good definition for rationality. the ability to shape partials until they exhibit arrangement? fraternity?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I would assume after having a glass of vine...

Actually if you would only know how much I perceived as a failure by those who have strong logic mind, either applied logic or abstract logic.
    You would never be able to call me rational in a first place. This is ratinality subordinated to extraverted feelings - very different cup of tee.
    I think they ( I mean at my work) perceive INFPs much more rational than me.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant introverted feelings....it happens to me quite often - I just do not see things like that and call them...mind games.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    [*]Another example: An ISFp I know would much rather spend money on jewlelry than pay off all of his bills, or get a bigger/better appartment. Irrationals seem ver much into Instant Gratification, sometimes regardless of consequences even.
    I don't know about other people, but this one doesn't sound like me. Maybe it's to do with a poor thinking function.
    I'm not like this either, I've seen this type of behaviour mainly with XSFp's.

For me, I could not even have that many people I consider to "love" in the first place. One person at a time, and only one. I can only ""love"" (deeply, romantically, really) one person at a time.
    I know dominant irrationals that share this value as well. I think it may be an introverted aspect and not a rational one.

Anyways, to me rationality is described as setting priorities above all other desires or goals. Once the majority of the priorities are set than the secondary goals and desires can be fulfilled. However, there are faults with this because at some instances the priorities may never be completed if they are continuous. This may not be completely accurate becaue if a continuous loop does arise than the rational would obviously break the cycle. Is the following statement accurate? - Extreme irrationality results in the fulfillment of all desires primarily and extreme rationality's product is the fulfillment of all priorities primarily. All other thoughts will be labelled as secondary and repressed until the primary objective is achieved.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olga
    I meant introverted feelings....it happens to me quite often - I just do not see things like that and call them...mind games.
    What do you call mind games? Introverted feelings, or abstract/applied logic?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mind games

I have got problems in my extraverted functioning due to being deeply introverted and focused on internal feeling-thinking process. My thought process can interfere with whatever I am doing. That means I do certain things in automatic mode or certain things fall out of my attention. That is why when I do mistakes and I realize it - I do not understand how does it happen to me and why - this what I call mind games or problems with applied logic and . - my Superid block.

I can imagine for other types mind games will be different due to their Superid functions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    you misunderstand me. i agree with your sentiments on Rationality but i am discussing rationality not Rationality :/ the content is meaningless in this scenario. reading the works i am suggesting you read would lead to a rationalistic mindset much like playing a musical instrument would create an Si? Pi? mindset. you can read something and take something of value of it whether or not the content is correct. your mind will be a failure until you learn to juxtapose the temporal value of a given thing so that you can see how your approach to it would vary with the order in which you received the information and/or how it would vary with the reception of partial data rocky

maybe that would be a good definition for rationality. the ability to shape partials until they exhibit arrangement? fraternity?
    OK, I see what you mean... but my problems with "Rationality" is that, besides the obvious fact that it is limited, it convinces people to believe such things as bees can't fly, and curveballs can't drop, when we can easily see that these things do exist.

I would be afraid of anyone distinctly "Rational" or "Irrational" as I would of pure Extraverts/Introverts.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"OK, I see what you mean... but my problems with "Rationality" is that, besides the obvious fact that it is limited, it convinces people to believe such things as bees can't fly, and curveballs can't drop, when we can easily see that these things do exist. "

That's not the product of rationality, but rather stupidity. Big difference.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    "OK, I see what you mean... but my problems with "Rationality" is that, besides the obvious fact that it is limited, it convinces people to believe such things as bees can't fly, and curveballs can't drop, when we can easily see that these things do exist. "

I guess extremity could possibly linked to suppressed intelligence in some form.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic

But the point is that everything cannot be explained with math/physics. Somethings that work in theory don't always work in reality. The Bernoulli principle was taught as a fact in textbooks, and believed by teachers, because it was something that wanna-bees tried to use in order to explain the movement of a curveball. But they showed the curveball spinning the wrong way.

If rationality is not an attempt to explain things within a realm of reason, then what is it? I think this is what Pedro was saying when he said that rationality can be used as another angle to understand something, but if taken too far in one direction, can lead to a seperation from reality.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"But the point is that everything cannot be explained with math/physics. Somethings that work in theory don't always work in reality. The Bernoulli principle was taught as a fact in textbooks, and believed by teachers, because it was something that wanna-bees tried to use in order to explain the movement of a curveball. But they showed the curveball spinning the wrong way. Sad"

That's not the fault of rationality but the fault of the theory; in this case, it was the perceptions of the situation that caused the defiiency of the theory, not the fact that it was a theory. So, in a sense, it could be said that it was socionic irrationality that caused the theory's inaccuracies, not socionic rationality.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fine, this would be impossible to argue. We can always twist things around from a different view point. Even though through my observations I can see that the ball is spinning towards the batter as opposed to towards me. Just like I can see the bee flying even though physics would say that it is impossible for the bee to fly.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Just like I can see the bee flying even though physics would say that it is impossible for the bee to fly. Razz"

Physicists said it was impossible for a plane the size of a bee to fly---nothing else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be afraid of anyone distinctly "Rational" or "Irrational" as I would of pure Extraverts/Introverts.
    I am concerned by a world whose "thought energy" is so low as to not allow for the existence of these abberations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I do see a difference. One of the more noticeable ones being the penchant of rationals to aggradize the significance of words that I have observed to be matched only by certain special cases of the Ni dominant types with the faculty being much more frequent in intps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    I am concerned by a world whose "thought energy" is so low as to not allow for the existence of these abberations.
    Well, it's clear that we live in such a place, as I am reminded of it constantly.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicism
    I think it's time to put away any allusions to Rationals (j) being these super-conscientious, goal-oriented, punctual, completely un-spontaneous and totally pre-meditated people. These dichomoties don't work and I often think it's just a leftover from MBTI garbage. I've yet to see any clear distinction between Rationals and Irrationals that I can observe empirically. There seems just as many anal stuck up "p's" as there are laid back go with the flow "j's." The whole dichotomy is little more to me than a book-keeping notation for basically saying, "this person's first function is a rational one." And that's only something to worry about if you're using the traditional MBTI-like type acronyms. Beyond that, it's meaningless.
    WTF are you talking about?

Mind numbing open to the possibility of reality being real bullshit?

I'm thinking this whole post can be piled on the heaping stack of unecessarys.
    thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast