Thread: style/ taste

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default style/ taste

yeah i actually think style is something people can agree on being pleasant, or at least what the majority agrees upon-- for example, i dont think people would dispute whether audrey hepburn looked pulled together or not.. but the post is about types and style.

this question comes to mind after having the same conversation i have with my mother at times. I beleive she is ISFp, and we have a similar taste in style, and i knew an ISFp who liked a lot of the same beauty ideas as i did. The style is similar but i feel like its more effortless with an isfp rather than with an INTj. I also choose things that are more quirky or severe.. hahahhahahah

anyway. i am girly today but i am pretty interested in style. I think once Expat and I were talking about trendy ESFps for example..

anyway.. what are your thoughts?

Creepy-

Default Re: style/ taste

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    yeah i actually think style is something people can agree on being pleasant, or at least what the majority agrees upon-- for example, i dont think people would dispute whether audrey hepburn looked pulled together or not.. but the post is about types and style.

this question comes to mind after having the same conversation i have with my mother at times. I beleive she is ISFp, and we have a similar taste in style, and i knew an ISFp who liked a lot of the same beauty ideas as i did. The style is similar but i feel like its more effortless with an isfp rather than with an INTj. I also choose things that are more quirky or severe.. hahahhahahah

anyway. i am girly today but i am pretty interested in style. I think once Expat and I were talking about trendy ESFps for example..

anyway.. what are your thoughts?

Yeah, an ISFp I know is style-automatic. He's very good at it. He's helped me a lot, sort of. Or at least pushed me in the right direction.

I'm very conservative when it comes to style, but I believe I ahve a sense of style. There was a period of experiementation with 'my style', where I tried some different things. I tend to chose things that are quikry sometimes, but whenever I am "serious" about looking good, severe and "traditional". I say "traditional" because I'm Always myself, and I don't like to loook like a "square". (( I'm very much an idiosyncratic Oldham style)). But this also goes along with my older thread about the psychological distance of formality.

From a negative standpoint, I prefer to wear the same kind of clothes most of the time. (For instance, black/dark pants, and a button up shirt with a beater. Or look at my current avater). From a different perspective, I enjoy wearing a style that I am comfortable with, and it's nice because it makes dressing myself easier. But I can still work my own style into it, however little or great that may be.

Oh, and jackets + gloves I like. I generallly prefer my skin to be covered. And jackets/coats, I don't know, something about privacy. I would frequently wear the same jacket for a long time in highschool.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Here is a thread about ENFp style.

http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...ght=enfp+style

As you can see, we manage to make people believe that our style is liberated and quirky when in actuality, we are just trying to look like ESFjs and cannot figure out why it all falls apart as soon as we leave the house... :wink:

Seriously, how do they do that??
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to be a little insecure when it comes to fashion. I don't trust myself to know what looks right. When I go clothes shopping, I usually try to bring along my sister. I'm not sure of her type yet, but she has a better fashion sense than I do and loves to go shopping (I dislike it in general – it always makes me tired). We're actually a good shopping team – she's the fashion guru and I'm the modesty conscience.

My sister loves clothes. She's four years younger than me and has at least twice the amount in her closet than I do. Her awareness of what's "in" is a big help, but I do have my own distinct style from her. I tend to be a little more toned down and conservative, though occasionally I'll get something that's a little more flamboyant. When that happens, it's because I like it rather than I think it'll make an impression. In fact, if it makes too big a splash I'm reluctant to wear it again. I like things to match and to be clean. I like to look nice, but not attract a lot of attention.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i saw a bunch of 7th graders all scened out. wtf
    asd

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to wear functional clothes and/or bright coloured clothes.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    awww

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear functional and discreet-looking clothes, even conservative.

When needing to wear business suits for work, I usually go for black or very dark blue. I never wear those very garish and splashyh ties.

I'm most often seen wearing a leather jacket and black jeans.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looovvvee style. You name it, shoes, bags, poufy skirts with tight tops, and hey even the old 80's lizard boots with metal studs.

Style is fun to look at and figure out how to pull off.

Call me cynical, but it's not you, it's what you wear.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not what you wear, it's how you wear it
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not what you wear, it's what you don't wear.

I just try to avoid totally WRONG clothes. I try not to match things that are too different in style and color. I totally suck at sense of fashion, while it comes totally naturally to my ISFp sister. I don't know what I look good in and it's always difficult to buy new things. I tend to overdress for occasions, because I'm so nervous about under-dressing.

I love to wear dresses and skirts (comfort), but I rarely wear them outside of home (shoes aren't comfortable and it's rarely warm enough) and I love accessories - in my case it just means that I love necklaces and hairpins. My style is all about feeling comfortable all the time and avoiding ugly clothes.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahahaha

and it's how you wear what you don't wear . . . hmmmm can you say massage bar?

I used to have trouble finding the right style, too, but then I discovered body types and color me beautiful a la late 80's. This actually helps a lot - for example, I wouldn't be caught dead in yellow, orange or in leggings or heavy, bulk-adding fabrics.

Lessee the body types are hourglass, ruler, cone, or pear. They look like they sound. Then I just go from there.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm really not trapped in the 80's . . . honest.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so what should hourglass people wear?
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hour Glass Dressing: !!! :-D

Things that emphasize a small waist. Vests. Bootcuts. Wide straps on tanks. V necks. Jewel necks. Flared skirts, empire waists, substantial shoes. Fitted clothing. Solid colors. Asymetrical patterns.

Don't dos: leggings, baggy shirts, straight cut shirts, tapered pants, skinny straps on shirts, shoes with thin straps or too-skinny heels, all these things look better on either rulers or cones. Big patterns or prints or too small patterns or prints - these can add weight and bulk - a small pattern ends up looking like a grid, emphasizing every curve and a big print ends up making you look like a giant flower or something.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's really super hard for me to find fitted tops that actually fit... I'm built quite disproportionately...
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    it's really super hard for me to find fitted tops that actually fit... I'm built quite disproportionately...
    try target they have great stuff for hourglass shapes
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-

Hmm........

Nevermind

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha i was going to respond to everyone like "aww" like i did with kim.

What can i say i get real pleasure from this sort of thing.

also UDP, i think that's an INTx thing about covering every inch of your body. I dont think every INTx does it, but it's like something i've seen. I like it, but I don't know if I do it all the time. maybe more like, selective coverage? Oh dear. gloves can be hot

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    try target they have great stuff for hourglass shapes
    I also have a very low rise. when I find clothes that have smaller waistes, they often sit way up at or above my navel. unacceptable!

lol I'll stop whining now. the answer is... dresses!!! short little sun dresses! they are comfortable and peter loves em as well. too bad it's only warm enough to wear them 4 or 5 months of the year.
    SEE

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the other say I wore a boob shirt for the first time in a while (you ladies know what I'm talking about). peter said I should wear stuff like that more often. I used to wear stuff like that all the time, but I think I stopped because of um.... let's just say work issues. I enjoy flattering clothes for the most part.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

the other say I wore a boob shirt for the first time in a while (you ladies know what I'm talking about).
    We do??
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boob shirt... skinny jeans...

oh nm
    SEE

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

oh nm
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a boob shirt is a shirt that is extremely flattering and accentuates the bust. skinny jeans are the jeans are your smallest pair of jeans that you can't fit into anymore but hold on to because it's your goal to get back into them, and then when you do you walk around all happy because you finally get to wear your skinny jeans again

okay, maybe not everyone else's weight fluxuates as much as mine does
    SEE

Creepy-Diana

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Kim

oh nm

Hey, uh, since I'm the only guy in here on the second page, why don't you post a picture?

No harm in posing, the question at least, right?

also UDP, i think that's an INTx thing about covering every inch of your body. I dont think every INTx does it, but it's like something i've seen. I like it, but I don't know if I do it all the time. maybe more like, selective coverage? Oh dear. gloves can be hot
    I don't know what it is, but I just feel more comfortable, "cool" even - when I wear more clothes like that I guess. It's different now in the summer, yeah. But when it's colder out, I never hesitate to layer up. Gloves are awesome -- I was given a gift of leather gloves for the holidays a few years ago, and I greatly appreciated it.

Sunglasses, too. But that's a given.

I like gloves on women, too - those traditional long forarm ones, or just regular ones. Also - something about socks on women that I find attractive.

What do you think about collar shirts? I've grown quite fond of them lately.

That's what I say
    Well, maybe it's more for "correct" hour glass dressing... (not everyone is an hour glass)
    But when it is done right it is Very Good indeed

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP

I don't know what it is, but I just feel more comfortable, "cool" even - when I wear more clothes like that I guess. It's different now in the summer, yeah. But when it's colder out, I never hesitate to layer up. Gloves are awesome -- I was given a gift of leather gloves for the holidays a few years ago, and I greatly appreciated it.

Sunglasses, too. But that's a given.

I like gloves on women, too - those traditional long forarm ones, or just regular ones. Also - something about socks on women that I find attractive.

What do you think about collar shirts? I've grown quite fond of them lately.

That's what I say
    Well, maybe it's more for "correct" hour glass dressing... (not everyone is an hour glass)
    But when it is done right it is Very Good indeed
    well i would say you sound rather INTj with this post UDP. i adore the collared shirts (oxford button up) and *gasp* there is something i also just find so attractive about socks on women. and i also like what i imagine to be hour glass dressing. something about si.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's one I've already posted a few times

that's not my shirt though... or skirt... other than light blue and khaki, I generally wear dark colors.

lol that pic was taken more than a year ago... I had stopped taking adderall not long after and gained 10 lbs (putting up to a size 3)... and I've gained another 10 lbs since Peter's been living here... I'm back up to a size 5. Peter says I look better now. I have a fuller figure and whatnot. I dunno, I just like having more energy now than I did then.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and you say you are what type?
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTj
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much obliged

that's not my shirt though... or skirt... other than light blue and khaki, I generally wear dark colors.
    Well it is a good photo nevertheless.

(Aren't the colors you mentioned were more "introvert" than "extro"?)

It's nothing major, though

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dark colors are introverted?

*shrugs* I do what I want.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great pic Joy and exactly the kind of shirt and skirt I was talking about for hourglasses. The straps are wide, cut cut is v-like. The color is great on you too. I'm not sure I could pull off that color a little too warm or something for me. The top is pretty fitted, too.

:-)
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(: thanks

I generally don't wear stuff like that though... I don't usually like getting the type of attention I get when I wear stuff like that. Just let me buy my groceries or fill my gas tank or get my oil changed damnit!
    SEE