TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEEs-ENFps getting lost with too many options and possibilities

This is from Topaz in another thread:

It really makes me feel happy and secure when someone really knows about healthy food and quality goods. I tend to like everything and can get swallowed up by so many options that I drown.
    I could have written that! I hate when I have too many options, and I have no way of really comparing them and judging which is the best. I hate ordering off a menu because I always regret what I ordered and wish I'd gotten something else.

So that's two of us. Do any other ENFps have trouble with this?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ENFp and options

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    This is from Topaz in another thread:

It really makes me feel happy and secure when someone really knows about healthy food and quality goods. I tend to like everything and can get swallowed up by so many options that I drown.
    I could have written that! I hate when I have too many options, and I have no way of really comparing them and judging which is the best. I hate ordering off a menu because I always regret what I ordered and wish I'd gotten something else.

So that's two of us. Do any other ENFps have trouble with this?
    don't panic if it's just a menu we're speaking of: next time you go to the same restaurant order the other thing you're thinking of

if it comes down to deciding what you wanna major in in college, what job you should take, whom would you rather date - now there's real trouble...

take your time to decide...always. consider positive and negative aspects of each. try to learn as much as you can about sth/someone before you decide.

i have troubles with this too (not the menu choices, that is. it takes time to get used to deciding. i'm still learning how to deal with this too

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly, big decisions don't throw me for a loop the way little ones do. College major, marriage, which house to buy, etc. - no big deal. What do I want to eat for dinner tonight? ACK! LOL
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly, big decisions don't throw me for a loop the way little ones do.
    haha, i wish that was my problem

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big decisions: no problem. Going abroad, going to university, getting married, getting pregnant. That's easy. Buing yoghurt, now, that's the stumper. Rhubarb and vanilla... marzipan and poppyseeds... almond... hazelnut... peach... apples and pears... baked apple... apple pie... stracciatella... low fat... extra low-fat... extra creamy... extra fruity and creamy... low-fat extra fruity... plain yoghurt with fruit sauce... plain yoghurt with fruit sauce and chocolate crunchies... chocolate yoghurt with fruit crunchies... coconut...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peach and maracuya... pineapple... cherry... blackberry... redcurrant... blackcurrant... apple and cinnamon... papaya and mango... papaya, mango and banana... créme brulée... caramel... honey... melon...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Peach and maracuya... pineapple... cherry... blackberry... redcurrant... blackcurrant... apple and cinnamon... papaya and mango... papaya, mango and banana... créme brulée... caramel... honey... melon...
    Now ya did it. Now Im hungry and have to decide what to eat for lunch.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a small studio and Ive been thinking I have too much stuff. I need to get rid of stuff but its hard. Too many books, too many clothes, too many papers, blankets, trinkets etc. Now, my friends say I keep a clean neat place but they dont know that my closets and drawers are quite full. Im going to have to bite the bullet and just get rid of the stuff I dont really need even if its stuff I still like. On top of that Im going to have to resist the tempation to collect more stuff. It seems to me that ISTPs have good self control in these matters. Its no sense in buying something on sale if you dont need it. :wink:

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm doing just that! I've spent all week going through closets, drawers, etc., and giving stuff away on Freecycle. I have so much stuff I just don't use or wear or whatever.

Yeah my place is neat but I have too much stuff. If I had less stuff it would be easier to keep things cleaned up.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We must have been separated at birth. Same here. Too much stuff; busy clearing things out and throwing stuff away. The problem was that we moved from a 120 sq.m.-apartment to a 68 sq.m-one.

Now, my friends say I keep a clean neat place but they dont know that my closets and drawers are quite full.
    What I did was bluff my way through tidying up. Stuff chaos in box. Put box in wardrobe. Close door. Voilà! It drove my Mum NUTS. I still do it, btw.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHA I do that too. Clean up = put stuff in a box. I figure if I don't look for it in the box for a certain amount of time, it's safe to throw it away. But I'm always afraid if I just throw something away that I'll regret it.

I'm goingm through some boxes now!

-Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Big decisions: no problem. Going abroad, going to university, getting married, getting pregnant. That's easy. Buing yoghurt, now, that's the stumper. Rhubarb and vanilla... marzipan and poppyseeds... almond... hazelnut... peach... apples and pears... baked apple... apple pie... stracciatella... low fat... extra low-fat... extra creamy... extra fruity and creamy... low-fat extra fruity... plain yoghurt with fruit sauce... plain yoghurt with fruit sauce and chocolate crunchies... chocolate yoghurt with fruit crunchies... coconut...
    Indeed, indeed... :wink:
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe its me but one thing Ive been conscious of is that I always have a backpack with stuff I 'might' need. It started in Jr. high. I would take my books and stuff home everyday (but never do my homework until the next morning) I got used to having my stuff with me. Books, food, cell phone, i-pod, and extra sweater, keys, bills and paperwork, an interesting article I downloaded, some videos I have to return, school or work ID.......and so on. I haul this stuff around with me even when I may not really be using it. Its like a security blanket. I might end up in line somewhere or on a long train ride. I might have a sweet tooth attack. Who knows? I just reach into my pack and viola! instant entertainment. (disclaimer: Dont use this when traveling with friends) Actually the backpack mostly sits in my car but I still feel better about having it if I want. In reality all I need is my car keys and wallet. Am I nuts?

Topaz

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG I have a backpack in the car with sunblock, bug spray, a bottle of water, extra underpants and pants for my daughter, and a sweatshirt for her. It is there all the time.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd love to help you buy yoghurt sometime. I usually go for Dannin Plain, or Dannin Vanilla in a large container. I suggest getting fresh fruit(pears are my favorite), cutting it, and mixing it in. Also canned fruit goes well(make sure you drain the syrup, it's not soluble in the yoghurt and well, it's really gross when it just seperates out from the yoghurt, ugh). Granola is good to have around if you are considering becoming a pro yoghurt eater. A few bakeries in my small town sell quality granola, but if circumstance dictactes you to a supermarket, the cereal isle has granola cereal, which although good, lacks variety. A cheaper alternative to granola is animal crackers, they taste great in yoghurt and are always cheap(especially cheap in bulk. So cheap that my parents ruined my childhood by buying them so often).
    asd

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Try Dannon plain yoghurt with mangoe, banana, and grape nuts. I'm addicted to Dannon plain yoghurt. :wink:
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I'm ENFp, but I have a problem making decisions, too. I think it's the "what ifs" that slow me down and give me a headache. For every possibility, there's a million others!

AND I also tend to take everything but the kitchen sink with me whenever I go out. Many of my friends know my for my ability to magically procure tissues, band-aids, nail clippers, batteries, etc. on a moment's notice, even if we're in the middle of nowhere. Of course, my reputation isn't perfect, mainly due to the fact that I often forget to transfer the complete contents of one bag/purse into the one that I'm actually using.

And speaking of yogurt, have any of you tried dried cranberries? My current favorite is cranberries, honey, and carob chips on plain (no sweeteners) yogurt.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    Try Dannon plain yoghurt with mangoe, banana, and grape nuts. I'm addicted to Dannon plain yoghurt. :wink:
    me, too! sourwood honey + any imaginable mixture of fruits (bananas + oranges usually) = implied's heavenly breakfast.

breakfast! breakfast! breakfast!
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree:
    1. Clean Up = throw stuff in box.
    2. Boxes get placed into tiny extra "bedroom".
    3. Life involves trying to find that one scrap of paper needed.
    4. Declutter attempts are fruitless because, for the life of me, for each piece of paper, I can't figure out if I should keep it, throw it away, or file it somewhere. I then get so overwhelmed that I shove everything right back into the box (minus definite garbage).

Making decisions? like whereto go for dinner, what to eat for lunch, which book to learn from, etc.... I drive my bf nuts because of my indecisiveness. He really does not like the amount of "or"s I produce!!!
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had huge problems deciding what to major in in college and kept looking for the field that was the "perfect" fit. Alas, I never found it. If I could I would have taken all the introductory courses to everything and simply enjoyed learning about everything.

I, too, am "always prepared" and carry around stuff on trips "just in case." I've gotten better at traveling light, though. Now that I travel a lot, I have a special bag of toiletries and other stuff for travel that I never unpack. I don't like to think about that each time. I have to have a book or something with me just in case I suddenly have nothing to do (how awful!).

As for groceries, I tend to always buy groceries from the same small set and would like to completely automate the process, but then I periodically change my tastes and add a new grocery to the list. I tend to eat a lot of a single type of food or product for a period of time, then forget about it and not touch it for months or years.

I think in terms of decision-making, IEE's feel best accepting a cool opportunity from someone they care about as opposed to trying to decide things on their own. For example, a friend says, "why don't you rent my parents' apartment, and we can spend more time together?" This is a lot better than looking at a map of the city and planning out where they want to live based on logical factors.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...apple strudel, mango and lychee, cinnamon and lime.

Thanks for the hints, Heath. Making your own yoghurt flavours sounds good, especially since I've started to translate stuff for a company that produces flavours. So, instead of "strawberry yoghurt with natural strawberry flavour" read "yoghurt with a sugary syrup containing strawberry-flavoured gunk made from wood shavings."

About the backpack: same here. Wallet, filofax, tissues, muesli bars, band-aids, notepad, 2 or 3 ballpens. When I was a student, it was the same thing: my room had everything. I had tins, bread, cheese, baking utensils, a small mixer, flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs... everything. My INTj flatmate usually had half a packet of instant soup. If I had just half a packet of instant soup in my larder, I'd feel kind of naked.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I had huge problems deciding what to major in in college and kept looking for the field that was the "perfect" fit. Alas, I never found it. If I could I would have taken all the introductory courses to everything and simply enjoyed learning about everything.

I, too, am "always prepared" and carry around stuff on trips "just in case." I've gotten better at traveling light, though. Now that I travel a lot, I have a special bag of toiletries and other stuff for travel that I never unpack. I don't like to think about that each time. I have to have a book or something with me just in case I suddenly have nothing to do (how awful!).

As for groceries, I tend to always buy groceries from the same small set and would like to completely automate the process, but then I periodically change my tastes and add a new grocery to the list. I tend to eat a lot of a single type of food or product for a period of time, then forget about it and not touch it for months or years.

I think in terms of decision-making, IEE's feel best accepting a cool opportunity from someone they care about as opposed to trying to decide things on their own. For example, a friend says, "why don't you rent my parents' apartment, and we can spend more time together?" This is a lot better than looking at a map of the city and planning out where they want to live based on logical factors.
    omg we're twins.

Topaz

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Separated at birth, like I said.

Topaz, did you ever try a recipe file? Works like this: Write the names of all the recipes you usually cook on index cards. Sort by category (like "meat", "veg", "fish", "things I've been wanting to try out", "fattening", "party food", whatever). Usually it's hard to tell what to cook, but I know that I want to do something with chicken, or something sweet. Then I just go through all the cards, and voilà... Or I just pick something at random. After I've used a card, it goes back to the start of the category. That way you know: cards at start of category = favourites; cards at back = haven't done these for a while.

That method not only helps you navigate all the options - it also feeds your hidden agenda. I call that pretty neat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Separated at birth, like I said.

Topaz, did you ever try a recipe file? Works like this: Write the names of all the recipes you usually cook on index cards. Sort by category (like "meat", "veg", "fish", "things I've been wanting to try out", "fattening", "party food", whatever). Usually it's hard to tell what to cook, but I know that I want to do something with chicken, or something sweet. Then I just go through all the cards, and voilà... Or I just pick something at random. After I've used a card, it goes back to the start of the category. That way you know: cards at start of category = favourites; cards at back = haven't done these for a while.

That method not only helps you navigate all the options - it also feeds your hidden agenda. I call that pretty neat.
    Hahahha I cook as little as possible. Theres this great store (Trader Joes) that has all kinds of healthy heat-up meals that require little prep. I practically live there. Recently Ive started cooking things for guest though. Ive really gotten into steamed veggis. I think this is a sensational idea Cat. Its alot cheaper than eating out thats for sure. Since its just me right now I can only buy a small amount and eat it quick before it spoils

Topaz

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    Hahahha I cook as little as possible. Theres this great store (Trader Joes) that has all kinds of healthy heat-up meals that require little prep. I practically live there. Recently Ive started cooking things for guest though. Ive really gotten into steamed veggis. I think this is a sensational idea Cat. Its alot cheaper than eating out thats for sure. Since its just me right now I can only buy a small amount and eat it quick before it spoils
    healthy heat up meals is an oxymoron.
    asd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my little enfp brother is trying to decide on what major to spend the next four years of his life studying, i have suggested cool shit like film or pyrotechnics because he is pretty kick ass. of course there is the feeder majors like psychology or journalism that socionics might suggest, but he remains undecided. any suggestions?
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy
    my little enfp brother is trying to decide on what major to spend the next four years of his life studying, i have suggested cool shit like film or pyrotechnics because he is pretty kick ass. of course there is the feeder majors like psychology or journalism that socionics might suggest, but he remains undecided. any suggestions?
    Physics.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your suggestions. Even set design sounds cool. Audio/visual, behind cameras, mikes, in front of too if he can act (but I dont know-acting is...well lets just leave acting out for numerous reasons )

Topaz

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually recommend an ENFp avoiding psychology. ENFps make good counselors, but the psychology field is pretty suffocating & too strict for the ENFPs creativity.

Basically, anything where there are short bursts of energy needed, topical variety, and where he can have a long term "technical" mastery.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Physics.
    yeah, i know he could do it. i have met plenty of enfp's with engineering/math/physics based degrees. i was implicitly hoping for more ideas about the decision making process, but i guess the irrationals dont have the same issues with not making decisions. just let him be i guess? anyone (enfp's) find their line of work extremely fulfilling?
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physics.
    Why?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Physics.
    Why?
    Just because it's totally unrelated to what he suggested

And also because I perceive filmmaking and crap as a waste of time

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physics.
    yeah, i know he could do it. i have met plenty of enfp's with engineering/math/physics based degrees. i was implicitly hoping for more ideas about the decision making process, but i guess the irrationals dont have the same issues with not making decisions. just let him be i guess? anyone (enfp's) find their line of work extremely fulfilling?
    How can you not make decision for your major...? Even if the person is an irrational, he must

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you not make decision for your major...? Even if the person is an irrational, he must
    technically, he can put it off until the end of his second year. i could see him doing that.
    LII

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find my job fulfilling, but "stay-at-home mom" isn't an easy gig for a guy to get.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find my job fulfilling, but "stay-at-home mom" isn't an easy gig for a guy to get.
    i guess i could interpolate that into gigolo for my brother. it fits too.
    LII

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... i was implicitly hoping for more ideas about the decision making process, but i guess the irrationals dont have the same issues with not making decisions. just let him be i guess? anyone (enfp's) find their line of work extremely fulfilling?
    Jumps up and down in her seat and excitedly points to the last paragraph of her last post.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Jumps up and down in her seat and excitedly points to the last paragraph of her last post.
    i certainly made note of that. maybe a pit stop mechanic/crew member? perhaps a fireman? emergency room doc?
    LII

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    i certainly made note of that. maybe a pit stop mechanic/crew member? perhaps a fireman? emergency room doc?
    ooh, I can see an Enfp as an emergency medical technician.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess i could interpolate that into gigolo for my brother. it fits too.
    This is the post where I try to ignore the comparison of stay-at-home mom to prostitute.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast