Thread: INTjs what are you devoted to?

Creepy-

Default INTjs what are you devoted to?

http://the16types.info/types-INTJ.php
    "Justice is my trade". This is a type of a revolutionary or a political conspirator. In a conflict situation he usually organizes a committee to punish the offender. He believes that everything in the world must be logical and consequently just. He is capable of neglecting his own profit and safety when defending the offended. He sets for himself very high requirements. Unless somebody else takes care of him, he can easily drive himself to starvation. Garibaldi, Robespierre, Dzierzhynski, Jefferson are revolutionaries who devoted themselves to an idea.
    I am curious as to what other INTJs consider for this "devotion"

I've been narrowing mine down for the last year or so, and I think I'll have "come to terms" (as in, fully accepted and commited) with a decision soon enough. This sort of concept - of a quest, or adventure, or journey, or great purpose, etc - was always there. from my early years.

I imagine progression in the sciences would be common. Tcau has taken up his psychorelativity/psychology. I feel a drifting towards physics. What about you?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

devotion to an idea is bullshit. it is a bastardization of , and an ignorance of . http://oldforumlinkviewtopic.php?p=8...ghlight=#86966
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Creepy-

That is nice, and I sort of see where you are leading (sort of). But I wonder if you could elaborate upon that in any way, or expand upon it.

I do not feel I fully understand what you are talking about.

(Especially in terms of my original post).

I am going over the rest of that thread you linked, again, to look for further meaning of what you wrote there.
    I know what you mean now, MR.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

socionics is necessary but not sufficient
    Fixed.
    lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally once I find an idea or something that I personally have become interested in, I end up being obsessed with it, whether its a game, a type of science or anything that attracts my attention I will spend days straight of time working to master that and learn about it, upon what I believe is mastery, I'll just stop suddenly and not think about it for a long time, until it catches my intrest again, and when it does the process starts over again except much more in depth. For example, 3 years ago Computer Science took all of my devotion and as a Freshman in high school I devoted all my time to learning new aspects of programming and different languages but as of a year ago it dwindled off after I learned all I could at this point. I think this is what its referring to.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeia
    Personally once I find an idea or something that I personally have become interested in, I end up being obsessed with it, whether its a game, a type of science or anything that attracts my attention I will spend days straight of time working to master that and learn about it, upon what I believe is mastery, I'll just stop suddenly and not think about it for a long time, until it catches my intrest again, and when it does the process starts over again except much more in depth. For example, 3 years ago Computer Science took all of my devotion and as a Freshman in high school I devoted all my time to learning new aspects of programming and different languages but as of a year ago it dwindled off after I learned all I could at this point. I think this is what its referring to.
    Aren't the INTPs the ones that try to become experts in something, while INTJs go for breadth?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that in INTp's Expert is doing everything they can and learning about it and having a huge devotion to it over a long time... My devotions are short burnouts, I go for like 2-3 and go crazy into some subject I like, and then once I feel that I've "mastered" it, I move on to the next.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breasts.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My devotions are short burnouts, I go for like 2-3 and go crazy into some subject I like, and then once I feel that I've "mastered" it, I move on to the next.
    intp's do that yo
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Breasts.
    I would contend for Butt.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think INTjs get obsessed with things for a short amount of time because you must orientate yourself in the position where you have fully grasped the core idea . I know i don't feel comfortable until i've done that, since we basically can't do anything until this happens. For something I am not interested in, it doesn't really matter (in the sense i will not spend my time on it). So you can see that if INTjs go about with a devotion to something, then it is devotion to ideas, which makes sense when you think we go around 24-7 Ne'ing and putting it into Ti. And it also goes along with what zeia was saying that an INTjs devotions will be "shorter" than INTps'. Though its not really a matter of length at all.. we are quasi identicals, after all, and have only surface similarities.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    I think INTjs get obsessed with things for a short amount of time because you must orientate yourself in the position where you have fully grasped the core idea . I know i don't feel comfortable until i've done that, since we basically can't do anything until this happens.

(Though all of this wasn't exactly what I was refering to when I started this....)
    Yes, I am the same way.

Reorientating, even. Updating the system, adding new layers, different understandings, etc.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vagina

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Breasts.
    I would contend for Butt.
    Nay, vagina it must be.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    I think INTjs get obsessed with things for a short amount of time because you must orientate yourself in the position where you have fully grasped the core idea . I know i don't feel comfortable until i've done that, since we basically can't do anything until this happens.

(Though all of this wasn't exactly what I was refering to when I started this....)
    Yes, I am the same way.

Reorientating, even. Updating the system, adding new layers, different understandings, etc.
    Do you SEE an idea as different from a concept? THANKS UDP
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that in INTp's Expert is doing everything they can and learning about it and having a huge devotion to it over a long time... My devotions are short burnouts, I go for like 2-3 and go crazy into some subject I like, and then once I feel that I've "mastered" it, I move on to the next.
    i was about to say, like others have, "that sounds more like an INTp."

(penis.)
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-

I came across a verysimpliscit but perhaps useful/applicable book.
    (It was a thin paperback book called "The 16 Personality Types - descriptions for self discovery"

It was mostly MBTI theory, but still........

INTJ - Conceptulalizer Director - Chart-the-Course
    INTP - Designer Theorizer - Behind-The-Scenes

I wonder what the rest of you think about that.

It seems to me like an INTj would be more out in the open, more a director, more a revolutionary, more one to chart the course

Where as an INTp would be more behind the scenes, checking the facts & critiquing, designing and arranging theories + concepts.

That seems to go in with the Quadra agendas as well.

Relating back to the origin of this thread, what I "read" in the "INTJ" (it wasn't really MBTI, it was a mesh of things) made sense for me (perhaps because I test both as INTJ and INTj). "Chart the course" stood out, as well as the emphasis on future, and on progress.

WHen I came up with "The INTj Devotion" as the title for this thread, it was very much related to that notion --- something that you see in the future worthy of improving, and devoting yourself to that cause.

Max Rob. was involved in the French Revolution, TJ writing a declaration of independence taht would shape a new future, etc etc. That is what I meant, or at least more so.

Perhaps I should spend more time writing out a post so that is is very well understood, understood easily, without much room for misinterpretation. (I think the problem is that my mind is always moving on to the next thing, and I expect everyone else to be on the same page- which is impossible, I kinow. We'll see - that can be another side-project).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about other INTjs but devotion to a cause sounds to personal. I can be really really interested in a cause but soon have burnout. Being devoted to a cause is like labeling yourself. I am an Xer because I belong to X. Once I feel that labels like that are attached to me I start to feel really uncomfotable.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    I don't know about other INTjs but devotion to a cause sounds to personal. I can be really really interested in a cause but soon have burnout. Being devoted to a cause is like labeling yourself. I am an Xer because I belong to X. Once I feel that labels like that are attached to me I start to feel really uncomfotable.

That's just it -- that is why an INTj devotion is so rare and or powerful.

Just like when it comes to 'spending time with someone you care about', when you actually select someone ' ' ' worthy ' ' ' of your time, it means a lot, because an INTj just doesn't happen upon someone (or something) and say "Yeah, lets spend time together".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTJ - Conceptulalizer Director - Chart-the-Course
    INTP - Designer Theorizer - Behind-The-Scenes

I wonder what the rest of you think about that.
    It is true.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like when it comes to 'spending time with someone you care about', when you actually select someone ' ' ' worthy ' ' ' of your time, it means a lot, because an INTj just doesn't happen upon someone (or something) and say "Yeah, lets spend time together".
    Well I never looked at it this way before but that makes perfect sense, I guess I've just never found that cause- but I do continuously look, get bored/disgusted look again etc.

Creepy-

Yeah, I've been searching for as long as I can remember - something worthy of devoting myself to, a cause or something.

I think I've finally began to understand my own.

(Also, I don't understand why INTjs would get a bad rap when it comes to relationships -- because-sure, it has to be with someone who would appreciate what we can offer- but there is such commitment, care, consideration, and devotion to what we really "choose to be assocaited with")

We just have to believe it is really "worth it". Once the determination is made, though, then I think it is more possible to open up. Itis like an acceptance of moving up on the priority list.

Reminds me of the oldMBTI "J" scale - more comfrotable after a decision is made.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey if you can find your cause let me know, maybe you can give some direction.

And once we find someone that we've made that "final" decision on there's no going back (can't accept faliure). So yeah, I think we're great when it comes to devotion in a relationship

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UDP do you also have the problem of having so many causes/ideas that you'd like to try that motivation becomes a problem?

There are countless number of things that I would want to do but there are so many that I don't know where to begin. They also require alot of time and I'm afraid to devote so much time to something only to find out half way through that I've become bored and disgusted.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"It is true."

You are magnifying the differences between INTjs and INTps far too extensively and are purposely neglecting the facets of Ni that predispose INTps and INTjs as being otherwise than stated within the quote you posted.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I'mconcerned, field of knowledge and experience are very overlapping in this way, so even if you do one thing and find out that it's not for you, that should also narrow down a lot of other things
    True but unfortunatly "life" gets in the way.

I'm at a cross roads right now. I've got a BA in Graphic Design and minored in Psychology and I'm working as a graphic designer(mission accomplished). Now I'm bored. I've been thinking of taking the GRE and getting a MD and PhD in child psychology so I can deal with child molestation victims. I'd much rather do research but then I'd have to teach-not a good option for me. Anyways I'm afraid to commit so much time, effort and money into such a thing, (because I won't quit half way through), only to complete this mission and it still not be enough etc etc.

I guess I'm just being angsty-God I thought that went away after highschool

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found that when my interests are broad I accomplish nothing I keeping hopping back and forth between this and that. But the narrowness is also a problem, hence the apprehension.

It's on CD, and if you are really interested, I am putting some of it on save file, if you want to check out some excerpts.
    I'm more then happy to try it out, though I've never heard of it.
    It hurts nothing to learn something new and god knows I need nothing more than "purpose" right now. Earning money (or not) isn't enough for me. I'm happiest when I'm learning. I wish I could just go to school for learning's sake

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh you are truly more altruistic then me (guilty feeling approaching).

figuring out the practical matters, sort of.
    I really hate details too.

I can always fall back on accepting life as it is, and not needing much to 'be happy'
    Don't just accept. Well at least that dosen't work for me, I've tried.

and no matter what, all the while, I will be learning about myself and humans in general via myself, through introspection and consideration -- that is part of the "lifelong learning" thing)
    Yep, exactly

Curious and completely off topic: what does UDP stand for?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He he.

Ok I'll take that as an answer

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    He he.

Ok I'll take that as an answer
    (good call)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UDP
    I listened to the excerpts you sent me. Tolle puts some interesting ideas out there that I hadn't considered before. I really like his comparison of enlightenment to evolution.

I'll have to look into this further.

P.S. His voice was really relaxing to listen to

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This summer, my project involves narrowing down my purpose, or at least trying to. "My self imposed purpose", perhaps I should say. Like FDG pointed out in the enegram test, I'm leaning more and more towards type 1, the reformer, even though I tied it with type 5 (observer).
    An advice: keep in check the self-righteousness, since in the type 1s I know, it has had an exponential growth in their early twenties.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    This summer, my project involves narrowing down my purpose, or at least trying to. "My self imposed purpose", perhaps I should say. Like FDG pointed out in the enegram test, I'm leaning more and more towards type 1, the reformer, even though I tied it with type 5 (observer).
    An advice: keep in check the self-righteousness, since in the type 1s I know, it has had an exponential growth in their early twenties.
    Yeah, actually, I had a humbling experience in that regard recently, so hopefully I won't get ahead of myself.