Thread: Socionics and Psychological Disorders

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Socionics and Psychological Disorders

I'm sure this has been done before, but it's interesting to think about anyways. Let's match which personalities are more likely to have a psychological disorder. I'll try to bring up my own ideas, but you guys can put your own as well. I know some of you will think this shouldn't be correlated with type, but I'm sure some types are more likely to get it. That doesn't mean that only that certain type can get it. 25% of people have personality disorders so I think it's worth talking about.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder - LIE, ILE

Borderline Personality Disorder - SEE, ESE

Social Anxiety Disorder - IEE, IEI

Bipolar disorder - IEE, SEE

Antisocial Personality Disorder - SLE, SLI

Histrionic Personality Disorder - IEE, SEE

Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder - ESE, LSE

Schizoid personality disorder - ILI, LII

Schizotypal personality disorder - ILI, IEI

Dependent personality disorder - ???

Avoidant personality disorder - ???

Paranoid personality disorder - LSI, ESI

A lot of these are just guesses, so please don't take them to heart. If you have an idea of what fits better, feel free to post.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Bipolar would also be associated to EII (inward flow of emotions in any chaotic disorder of it may result in serious psychological consequences) Fi related, I assume.
    Narcissistic to LSE (those who love to be and have control)
    OCD would be to SEI and SLI
    Paranoid would be to SLE and LSI; SEE as well; mostly in association with Se.
    Antisocial would go to ESE and LSE as well as some SLI
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.ptypes.com

Alpha
    ENTp
    Personality Disorder: Compensatory Narcissistic
    Basic Belief: I must attain a position of distinction or merit.
    Strategy: Pretension.
    ISFp
    Personality Disorder: Cyclothymic
    Basic Belief: I must escape from painful feelings and thoughts.
    Strategy: Mastery through expertise.
    ESFj
    Personality Disorder: Masochistic
    Basic Belief: I need others to need me.
    Strategy: Submission
    INTj
    Personality Disorder: Schizotypal
    Basic Belief: I need to consider only my own views; I must not be influenced by anyone.
    Strategy: Eccentric thinking.
    Beta
    ENFj
    Personality Disorder: Obsessive-Compulsive
    Basic Belief: Errors are bad. I must not error.
    Strategy: Perfectionism
    ISTj
    Personality Disorder: Depressive
    Basic Belief: I am bad; nothing is pleasurable; there is no hope.
    Strategy: Withdrawal.
    ESTp
    Personality Disorder: Narcissistic
    Basic Belief: I am special.
    Strategy: Self-aggrandizement
    INFp
    Personality Disorder: Histrionic
    Basic Belief: I need to impress.
    Strategy: Dramatics
    Gamma
    ESFp
    Personality Disorder: Borderline
    Basic Belief: Other people must satisfy my needs.
    Strategy: Relationship change.
    INTp
    Personality Disorder: Schizoid
    Basic Belief: I need plenty of space.
    Strategy: Isolation
    ENTj
    Personality Disorder: Sadistic
    Basic Belief: I need power over others.
    Strategy: Dominance.
    ISFj
    Personality Disorder: Dependent
    Basic Belief: I am helpless.
    Strategy: Attachment
    Delta
    ESTj
    Personality Disorder: Passive-Aggressive
    Basic Belief: I could be stepped on.
    Strategy: Resistance
    INFj
    Personality Disorder: Avoidant
    Basic Belief: I may get hurt.
    Strategy: Avoidance
    ENFp
    Personality Disorder: Paranoid
    Basic Belief: People are potential adversaries.
    Strategy: Wariness
    ISTp
    Personality Disorder: Antisocial
    Basic Belief: People are there to be taken.
    Strategy: Attack

In b4 shitstorm
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aware View Post
    Borderline Personality Disorder - SEE, ESE [I have a friend who was diagnosed with borderline PD, I type her EIE]

Bipolar disorder - IEE, SEE [IEE and EIE, IMO]

Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder - ESE, LSE [the description of it sounds smore like XSI]

Dependent personality disorder - ??? [SEI - I read something written by Aushra regarding this, too, IIRC she included ESE as a lighter version]

Avoidant personality disorder - ??? [SEI for sure]

Paranoid personality disorder - LSI, ESI [definitely not, paranoia is related to internal assumptions, function-related that would be N and F. Stalin was not paranoid either.]
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate to Avoidant personality disorder and to a lesser degree Dependent P.D., but I don't want to say that this is necessarily an EII thing since I think how I was raised lead to the feelings of inadequacy, although I can see how type can contribute to these fears to a certain extent
    I've noticed that getting away from toxic relationships and finding people you can relate to and appreciate you can affect a persons self-worth significantly

btw I agree with siuntal that Histrionic Personality Disorder is likely more of a stereotype of EIE and to an extent SLE and Antisocial P.D. is more a stereotype of Fi PoLR gone overboard
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    http://www.ptypes.com
    ENFp
    Personality Disorder: Paranoid
    Basic Belief: People are potential adversaries.
    Strategy: Wariness
    ENFPs, what do you think of that? do you have a tendency for being paranoid? Seems a bit strange at 1st glance, but some enfps here identify themselves as enneagram 6, maybe there's sth to it?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note that ptypes is not Socionics. Basically different types, although some things coincide here and there.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is bunch of crap, any type can have any disorder. A psychological disorder occurs due to genetics or environment. I have bipolar and social anxiety as well. Their is a huge misconception that only introverts can have social anxiety, this isn't true. I have met many people that have the same disorders that I have and they have been all of the types.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    This is bunch of crap, any type can have any disorder. A psychological disorder occurs due to genetics or environment. I have bipolar and social anxiety as well. Their is a huge misconception that only introverts can have social anxiety, this isn't true. I have met many people that have the same disorders that I have and they have been all of the types.
    there are many kinds of psychological disorders. the 1st post refers to personality disorders, which are different from anxiety disorders or mood disorders that you mentioned. it's a completely different (though controversial) group according to psychological classifications (not according to p-types ) . they are sth that is connected with personality as more or less stable structure, which in this case is considered disordered because it's too inflexible and too much of a "type".

still you could argue if sth like personality exists at all and if it does, which system describes it the most adequately (psychological big Five, socionics, mbti, ennagram or any other) or how different systems complement and fit with each other but the idea of personality disorders makes it type -related.

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Narcissistic Personality Disorder - ENTJ, ESTJ
    malignant narcissism : INFj, ISFj

>> this two are extensively interessting to read about, cuz u indirectely understand the romantic relation beetween TeXXFi and FiXXTe. Gamma quadra most likely (ISFJ/ENTJ)

Borderline Personality Disorder - Fe dom, Fe second sx variant, Fi dom sx variant, Fi second.

Social Anxiety Disorder - perhaps introvert in general ?

Bipolar disorder - ???? a paper ive read said Se dom possible. I know too IRL an INXj who have it.

Antisocial Personality Disorder - SLE, SLI ok

Histrionic Personality Disorder - Fe

Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder - ?????? rationnal

Schizoid personality disorder - impossible to say like this - I would say ILI are those who fit the most

Schizotypal personality disorder - ILI, IEI ok, at least reading PD description, but not really sure.

Dependent personality disorder - ???

Avoidant personality disorder - IEI, EII (most likely EII) perhaps Si dom too. IEI from what ive read is more on the dramatic like behavior (histrionic, borderline). There are more likely to have disorder from cluster B/A than C.

Paranoid personality disorder - ???????
    Last edited by noid; 06-27-2011 at 10:58 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Narcissistic Personality Disorder - LIE, ILE I know an LSE and ESI

Borderline Personality Disorder - SEE, ESE seems right

Social Anxiety Disorder - IEE, IEI introverts?

Bipolar disorder - IEE, SEE IEE, i've no clue about other types

Antisocial Personality Disorder - SLE, SLI yep probably most common

Histrionic Personality Disorder - IEE, SEE hmm no. I know an EIE who has this

Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder - ESE, LSE most common is LSI

Schizoid personality disorder - ILI, LII exactly

Schizotypal personality disorder - ILI, IEI yep probably, maybe LII too

Dependent personality disorder - ??? maybe ESI, EII

Avoidant personality disorder - ???

Paranoid personality disorder - LSI, ESI LSI most likely
    I've added some

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is bunch of crap, any type can have any disorder.
    you write a bunch of crap.

schizoid personality is correlated directly to ILI and LII.

According to a survey 45% was ILI, 50% LII, 5% other.

So don't give bullshit if you haven't investigated the matter or only know of 1 example.

Most personality disorders are well correlated to some type or temperament.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    schizoid personality is correlated directly to ILI and LII.

According to a survey 45% was ILI, 50% LII, 5% other.
    what survey is that? do you have a link to its description? were there other disorders involved too?

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont doubt a correlation but I'm pretty skeptical of such a high number. Rarely in psychology do you find such high correlations. I'd like to see what the survey looked like and who published it (socionics magazine). I dont know how they'd control for the schizoid personality disorder traits skewing the behavioral self report that socionics tests use. The whole point of the socionics test is to draw inferences on thought processes based on behavior.. but if the behavior is definitionally "introverted" in nature (i.e. schizoid), it's sort of circular that they would end up typed as introverts.

Creepy-Snaps

This thread is really negative and depressing. Labels being thrown on top of labels... all classifying yourselves, limiting yourselves... when will you break away from it all?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think it depends on what the psychological disorder is in terms of its prevalence. For example, social anxiety disorder is probably the kind of psychological disorder that I bet probably more than half of the types are capable of having. Then there's schizoid or schizotypal which is almost exclusively LII or ILI.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    This thread is really negative and depressing. Labels being thrown on top of labels... all classifying yourselves, limiting yourselves... when will you break away from it all?
    THis is a socionics forum you jackass. What do you think a word is? It is a defined boundary. Should we just stop speaking? Should psychology throw the DSM-V into the trash?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Then what is the point of this forum? We might as well just say we're all equal and throw away personality types as well because they are a form of classifying and limiting ourselves.

The whole point of these labels is to understand yourself and nothing more. A lot of people are messed up in one way or another. Of course in the other hand you don't want people to be categorized as labels, but we're categorizing labels through other labels so I fail to see the harm.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

storm of pitifully weak Ti, even weaker than the norm for IEEs
    DSM-V is gonna be remembered as a joke. Many of the personality disorders mentioned in it will be replaced, long term, by the supersocion theory. In fact, they tried to go deeper with the disorders for psychotic disorder, but they ran into the small problem of realizing that many of the people involved in the DSM-V project itself were, how to say... less than sane. Obviously no consensus can emerge when the parties involved are fearful of its conclusion -- they will disagree and extreme civilarians will charge that no definite conclusion can be drawn. This is why psychology is not respected as a science.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    storm of pitifully weak Ti, even weaker than the norm for IEEs
    DSM-V is gonna be remembered as a joke. Many of the personality disorders mentioned in it will be replaced, long term, by the supersocion theory. In fact, they tried to go deeper with the disorders for psychotic disorder, but they ran into the small problem of realizing that many of the people involved in the DSM-V project itself were, how to say... less than sane. Obviously no consensus can emerge when the parties involved are fearful of its conclusion -- they will disagree and extreme civilarians will charge that no definite conclusion can be drawn. This is why psychology is not respected as a science.
    I think you're mostly likely right, but you don't have to be a rude jackass about it.

I'm aware of the faults of psychiatry and the fact that 25% of people have a psychological disorder is most troubling. It makes you think, is there something wrong with the people or perhaps the system of psychiatry itself? I agree that psychiatry could be used as a way to control people and make those that are different feel insecure and require some medication to become "normal". However, the point of this thread is merely to link the psychological disorders and socionics, it is not about recognizing the relevance of psychological disorders.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is bunch of crap, any type can have any disorder.
    I don't think so, maybe *some* of them can be had by any type. "Personality disorder" is a broad term which may cover behavioral traits related to a large number of factors, including TR and NTR, there's not rule to attest your claim. There are PDs that simply can't be attached to a certain type, for instance it is pretty clear that you can't type a bipolar-affected to XLI, the personality traits are simply contradictory - eg. factual and emotionally stable personality of Te-Creative VS the radical changes of view based on mood of bipolars. I also think that elements of type traits can be found more or less among the symptoms of certain personality disorders.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bipolar Disorder: IEE-Ne, ESI-Fi, LSI, ILI-Te, SLI, LSE, in that order (rare in Fe/Ti valuing types except for LSI and maybe ESE)

BPD: ILE, EIE, SLE (most common in Fe-valuing Extraverts), LSI-Se, ESI-Se, SEE-Se (gammas who are attuned to other people and value everyone's emotions, who can look, sound, and act like betas, the ethical subtypes aren't as good at acting/drama, don't notice others' emotional states like the sensory subtypes and borderlines do)

NPD: EIE, ILI, LII (in that order)

ADHD-Hyperactive impulsive type: ILE-Ti, maybe LSI-Se.

ADHD Primarily Inattentive type: IEE (IEE aren't really hyperactive, they don't butt in others' conversations, but they are agitated and they can sit still and do the same thing for a long time)

ADHD Combined type: EIE, SLE, ESI (my older brother and I had it), SEE.

Dependent personality disorder: ESI (probably more common in Se subtype but Fi subtype can have it too; I have dependent traits sometimes), SEI (not sure of subtype), EII-Fi, ILE-Ti occasionally.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 01-22-2021 at 06:06 AM.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I wouldn't classify my take as any general rule or nothing but one thing I've noticed about folk with P.D. is excessive pre-occupation with self. Even if they seem superficially altruistic, listen up & it's obvious the stupid sh*t is really about them.

No way I know everyone on Earth or everyone with a fuckin' P.D. but the more one is capable of truly caring outside the self, the better on the psych.

This isn't simple, obviously.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If we go by Theodore Millon's assertions PD's patterns should be innate in each individual. I think everyone can type themselves in PD style regardless of the functioning. It is the make up of your cognition.
    If we go by the troubled perspective everything is possible because diagnosis are used as tool to get help but I doubt its academical validity.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is 10 years old now and Raver is in Heaven but yeah I struggle big time with social anxiety. Raver buddy if u can hear this while floating on a cloud- we love ya man!

I just freeze up in real life social situations. I don't know what to say. Or I feel I have to say something and then might potentinally say something stupid or embarrassing and then hate myself all over again. Hard for me to be real with people, sometimes I wish I could even tell people how badly I hate them or they pissed me off but I just sugar coat things instead. I can usually see somebody's own vulnerability even when they are being an abrasive asshole though (No wonder I'm SLE's dual?) - that's part of what makes it hard for me to act like that with them even when I'm upset. That's what makes me be nice to others at times. But I'm usually indifferent to a lot of rude-ness. As long as you're not being rude to me in a way that I don't like of course lolol.

I don't get offended by a lot of things other people get offended by. But then at the same time I might get hyper-sensitive and avoidant to something most other people are easy to shrug off. Then they don't know what to make of me. I am trolled and annoyed by 'objective' standards of decorum. I root for the bad guys a lot more than the good guys- which I understand is a common thing to do. I'm not the only one that does this- and in a way it's natural and human. I get all that. But for me it can cause me terrible grief & even guilt because the 4D Fi in my ear whispers 'but Hell is real and don't you forget it' lol.

I feel like everybody is running away from negativity- whereas I morbidly want to embrace it, sulk in it.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good meme, actually am diagnosed with a type a personality disorder.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

TIM
    EII sp/so 4w5
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea bipolar is more fi because fi can shift quickly in emotions and opinions they will change. I am very bipolar as I can be happy and warm one week, than the next I am moody and depressed and don’t want to talk to anyone. I may have to do with enneagram as well as my dad is an 8 and gets paranoid easily, and his moods change.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldve thought types with weak but valued intuition would be schizotypal. the ones with good intuition would already been able to use it effectively.