TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does Ne Mean Bipolar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

[quote]
    An evolving literature exists concerning the nature of personality and temperament in bipolar disorder patients, compared to major depressive disorder (unipolar) patients and non-sufferers. Such differences may be diagnostically relevant. Using MBTI continuum scores, bipolar patients were significantly more extroverted, intuitive and perceptive, and less introverted, sensitive, and judgmental than were unipolar patients[citation needed]. This suggests that there might be a correlation between the Jungian extraverted intuiting process and bipolar disorder.
    [quote]

Does that mean that having Ne means a person may be bipolar?

I was myself recently diagnosed as bipolar. The psychiatrist told me I "intellectualized" too much, and gave me risperidone, an antipsychotic meant to control bipolar tendencies. I read over the wikipedia article on bipolar syndrome (and other sources besides) and I doubt I have it, as none of the descriptions match my behavioral patterns.

...I can say risperidone suppresses one's extroverted intuition, although it does not extinguish it entirely from what I can tell. (although I am taking only a milligram dose per day)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*clears throat*
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, for what it's worth, i have all the symptoms of bipolar disorder. Yet i'm also a huge hypochondriac ; )

Creepy-Diana

Default Re: Does Ne Mean Bipolar?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bipolar here.

I think that this info. emerged from the study of outcomes, not causes. Of course a bunch of psychiatrists observing bipolar and unipolar patients will find the former group more extraverted (especially considering that a few of the symptoms of (hypo)mania are really just extreme forms of Ne). But who really knows if it is their disorder or their personality which affects this appearance? If personality type is genetically linked but bipolar disorder is not (unlikely), then I guess an assertion like this one would carry more weight. Similarly, if bipolar is genetically linked, but personality type isn't, then this dude might be onto something (again, unlikely). The problem arises with the other possibilites.

Until then, I'd suggest reading Kay Redfield Jamison's Touched With Fire: Manic Depression and the Artistic Temperament.

What I'm saying is that a key aspect of the "artistic" temperament apart from any mood disorder is Ne, sometimes in extreme fashion. Trying to make a disorder the cause for the temperament or the temperament the cause for the disorder seems unwise, but I'm guessing you were just looking at a potential connection.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been diagnosed as bipolar, but my moods definitely turn on a dime.

I'm taking lexapro right now and it's great for stuffing down those intense bursts of raw emotional energy. My mood has never been more stable despite some pretty extreme stressors in my life right now.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Same here. Although, I tried a lot of antidepressants and they only made things worse. I'm wondering what else besides bipolar could cause such drastic changes in mood. I never know how i'll feel one minute to the next. I have been through a semi-recent life stressor so maybe that is the cause.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fever
    i think being a strong intuitive type period sets u up for depression, because u play everything out inside your head seeing possible consequences, scenarios, or effects before "acting" on anything or even doing anything at all. i have been told that i over-analyze everthing. but how do u think without thinking?
    Sensors can be like that as well, especially IJ sensors.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll just go right along with ashton & joy, here. generally, i think it's just a big mistake to go down the whole "this disorder goes with this type, this function, etc."

a lot of this stuff is genetic, due to different chemicals (like joy pointed out,) or different stressors.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-pokeball

I also agree with Ashton/Dyna and company. However, there could be a relation in some cases. I do not know. Let's ask Mr. Owl.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Quote Originally Posted by fever
    i think being a strong intuitive type period sets u up for depression, because u play everything out inside your head seeing possible consequences, scenarios, or effects before "acting" on anything or even doing anything at all. i have been told that i over-analyze everthing. but how do u think without thinking?
    Sensors can be like that as well, especially IJ sensors.
    Agreed.

And sensors can get depressed as well. BTW, ISxx types also play things out in their heads before they act.

Though I think what can be related to Intuition is letting a bunch of little things bother them under pressure, lossing site of the task at hand.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Same here. Although, I tried a lot of antidepressants and they only made things worse. I'm wondering what else besides bipolar could cause such drastic changes in mood. I never know how i'll feel one minute to the next. I have been through a semi-recent life stressor so maybe that is the cause.
    There's other disorders that could cause mood swings, but when a major stressor can be identified, that's usually the most likely cause.

Stress can actually cause a variety of physical problems, too. People really underestimate the effects of stress on their physical and mental health.
    Entp
    ILE