Thread: INTps and creativity

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTps and creativity

In my opinion, there is a fair amount of mischaracterization of INTps, especially those with some emphasis on ; the logical subtype, if you will. Most people would likely agree that demonstrates imagination, and perception and pondering of the future. These characteristics are at least moderately accurate. However, it seems to me that the extent to which they appear to influence the INTp is excessive by most descriptions. I also believe that the excess of this type of information had initially confused me when I was attempting to determine my type. (although i was also trying to use MBTI before i was introduced on another forum to socionics, so perhaps that theory's seeming inconsistencies contributed to this uncertainty).

The type of imaginative speculation which an INTp undergoes, at least in relating my own experiences, is not one of purely foreseeing the future. It is rather a review of one's past experiences and future options. Often the INTp may go over past events multiple times in their head and analyze the sensibility of their decisions, or considering the viability of their options for the future.

Furthermore, one characteristic of the INTp which I think is downplayed significantly is that of the development of strong and coherent beliefs, when well informed. Although the INTp may not share these beliefs, and the beliefs are likely to support whatever the INTps past experiences or present course of action, the INTp has strong opinions about many topics. The reason why it is sometimes suggested that the INTp is not confident about such things and may attempt to convince themselves through arguments is not that they are unsure of their beliefs, but rather that they are afraid of appearing foolish in an argument and not being able to properly defend them due to a lack of knowledge or supporting details about a particular subject.

All of this, as stated, probably applies more to the logical INTp subtype rather than the intuitive one. I believe that the reason for this is that may contradict in some areas. In particular, INTps with strong may have difficulty accepting the conclusions which draws, to the extent that (being an irrational function) draws any conclusions at all. For example, in some descriptions of it has been stated that most prophets or propagators of religion are generally . In the case of an ENFj or an INFp, this has no real functional contradiction, since thrives on conformity. However, if there is no data to back up 's creations, such as this example on religion, then will refuse to accept it. Those INTps that choose to listen to their rather than stick with will thus exhibit some tendencies which may not be precisely what would be expected of an dominant type.

mmm... this post was supposed to be about creativity. Essentially, the idea is that for the same reason as the above description that may not always be accepted, my theory is that logical INTps cannot really put their creativity and foresight to good use since it is suppressed by . Personally, I hate creative assignments or tasks, such as those which I might have to perform for an english or humanities class (i.e. writing a story set in a certain time period and with certain characters or other restrictions). Do other INTps share this disdain, preferring logical and quantifiable tasks?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post about a type not often self-described in depth. Is it safe to say that the creative ideas have to do with potential absolute truths about various parts of more abstract parts of reality such as human feelings, animal instincts, cycles derived from repeated experiences with hints towards particular "views" on the matters acompanied by a great feeling of cohesion? That's how i came to see INTps insights and "hidden opinions".

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by detail
    Great post about a type not often self-described in depth. Is it safe to say that the creative ideas have to do with potential absolute truths about various parts of more abstract parts of reality such as human feelings, animal instincts, cycles derived from repeated experiences with hints towards particular "views" on the matters acompanied by a great feeling of cohesion? That's how i came to see INTps insights and "hidden opinions".
    i think the creativity can and often does reflect such abstractions, but one of the main points is that i don't think it is by any means confined to the abstract. to me the creativity of can spring from mundane everyday occurrences, simply by a creative interpretation of what exactly is occurring and why. these occurrences, i think, are more easily interpreted since cannot really repress them for contradicting the laws of science.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    i think the creativity can and often does reflect such abstractions, but one of the main points is that i don't think it is by any means confined to the abstract. to me the creativity of can spring from mundane everyday occurrences, simply by a creative interpretation of what exactly is occurring and why. these occurrences, i think, are more easily interpreted since cannot really repress them for contradicting the laws of science.
    To me, the underlined part is abstract. Also, my question was not directly related to what you were mainly pointing out, and i was asking more about the mechanism and "feeling" of such creativity than the actual domain, though it might have sounded otherwise. I tend to think the struggle between proof and belief is pretty visible in INTps as it somewhat leads to weird attitudes or stances, the two main i observed being a tendency to become distant while giving the non verbal message that they do not and won't agree as if they feel that it's not worth the effort, and a desire to take control of a situation or of the course of action of others without proper justification. In both cases it feels like the INTp is confident about his personnal views but is not willing to share them. Note that some INTps are more on one side naturally so it doesn't only depend on the situation but also on the individual (Which in the end is not really surprising).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i very much agree with that interpretation.