TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ENFps and INFjs do you cook?

And how much do you like to cook?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm sometimes i like to cook, like I enjoy reading through cookbooks and thinking of recipes to try and all that.

But I don't like the daily grind of cooking a meal, cleaning, cooking another meal, cleaning, cooking another meal, cleaning.

So I guess my ideal situation would be to live in a huge city like NYC with tons of killer take out options and then only cook when it sounded like fun.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not usually, i like when someone cooks for me though. Lately I am cooking more and I do enjoy it I guess. I just dont think I am really good at it and I am very lazy.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The microwave is my friend.
    But it's a love-hate relationship.

I don't even like deciding what's for dinner.
    When we tried each covering our own meals, my meals consisted of
    a) frozen veggies + eggs + cheese
    b) ground meat + sauce + veggies

I want to eat healthier, but I don't make good food choices when
    c) I'm stressed or
    d) I'm having to decide for everyone else too

Richard does the cooking in our home.
    But he insists that I be the one to make the decisions on what he'll cook for us.
    And I rebel against having to conform my eating schedule to suit the rest of the family.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lately now that i have more time flexibility, I have enjoyed cooking a lot more. What i enjoy the most is eating wholesome, natural, healthful, balanced food that tastes really really good. Like slacker, I get worn out by the thought of all the cleaning entailed AFTER the cooking and a little intimidated by all the chopping up of food BEFORE the cooking, so sometimes those thoughts keep me from starting cooking in the first place. But when i do have some time and relegate myself to the thought that i will have to do all that, I actually find cooking very fun, and i love the resulting food (usually).

I used to live on take-out, but eventually i felt really horrible and unhealthy eating that day in and day out. I never know what sort of garbage the restaurants put into the food. I used to constantly order food from this Indian restaurant, but then an indian friend told me that they basically put crisco into the dish until it tastes really really good. AFter that i looked up recipes for some of my favorite dishes and tried to recreate it myself (with healthy ingredients like olive oil). After a few tries, it actually tasted even better than the restaurant version.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    The microwave is my friend.
    But it's a love-hate relationship.

I don't even like deciding what's for dinner.
    When we tried each covering our own meals, my meals consisted of
    a) frozen veggies + eggs + cheese
    b) ground meat + sauce + veggies

I want to eat healthier, but I don't make good food choices when
    c) I'm stressed or
    d) I'm having to decide for everyone else too

Richard does the cooking in our home.
    But he insists that I be the one to make the decisions on what he'll cook for us.
    And I rebel against having to conform my eating schedule to suit the rest of the family.
    Oh!! i do a lot of frozen veggies in microwave too!! LOVE that!

Oh and ditto on the poor food choices when i'm stressed.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh eww crisco. I thought NYC had lots of healthy take-out options? Not wanting nasty food is what keeps me cooking so often.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    oh eww crisco. I thought NYC had lots of healthy take-out options? Not wanting nasty food is what keeps me cooking so often.
    I'm not in NYC anymore so i dont really know... the thing i'm usually concerned about is that "marketed healthy" isnt necessarily truly healthy. But true i like salad/froyo take out places like Sweetgreen, so i guess that might be more what you're talking about.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it. But not when it's the boring same-old stuff. I can only take so much of opening cans and heating stuff, or making things from mixes. I do it, because it saves on time AND money (because I buy that stuff when it's dirt cheap and stock up).

If our budget were no issue, though, I'd make EVERYTHING from scratch.

I also rarely follow a recipe, at least not to the letter. I'll use them to get a general idea, and then whip something up with whatever I have on hand.

Like Slacker and WA, I do not enjoy the constant clean-up, though. Probably another reason I find myself "cooking from a can" too often, since I can also only take so many piled-up dishes.

Like two days ago, I did some extra cooking/baking, and I STILL haven't caught up with the extra dishes...And it was just altogether too nice outside yesterday to be stuck inside cleaning.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i cook, but i dislike the daily grind of it that slacker talked about. it can be fun if its something new or something i especially like, but for the most part i end up going through the motions with it.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post

Now I do it at work.
    Best way to kill a passion: make it your job.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Best way to kill a passion: make it your job.
    so SO true!!!

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the idea is to Play..and be paid for the playing.
    Rather than turn your Play into Work.

The former puts the focus on the Play part.
    The latter puts the focus onto the gotta earn money part.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cook food at a means of living. It's really just a basic life skill that everybody has to learn at some point or another.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooking takes too much energy and too much foresight. When I'm hungry I want food now. When I'm not it's the last thing on my mind.

I like cooking with someone so that a. they can have the foresight to initiate it before we're starving, b. they can help me/walk me through it, and c. it becomes a fun social activity.
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I cook everyday and eat almost nothing but my own meals. The cooking isn't bad, but I just hate doing dishes. Also, cooking kind of gives me a sense of accomplishment instead of the shame from eating greasy takeout.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I've been inspired to cook, but I generally find it so boring and I'm not even picky with what I eat (taste-wise).

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    When I'm hungry I want food now.
    True, that's also the case with me. Especially when i get home late and have been at the gym. I'm like FOOD!! I NEED FOOD!! NOW!!! and i end up grabbing whatever is available.

What i'll do though when i do cook is i'll cook a whole big pot of something and then freeze/refrigerate it in portion sized containers and then i dont have to cook for a while, and just take the container along for lunch or grab it for dinner. The downside of that though is that my lunches and dinners end up being the same thing for a few days (unless i make a bunch of different dishes in a big cooking spree). It usually tastes so good that i dont mind that much, but it does get boring after a while...
    Last edited by Suz; 05-26-2011 at 05:42 PM.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can, but I don't usually like to. It takes too long. Yay, microwaves.

I am joint-making an omlette with my sister today, as she just reminded me (she wants me to get up now, as she is hungry).
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B-b-but they said, "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

That may work for some, but not for the ENFp
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post

What i'll do though when i do cook is i'll cook a whole big pot of something and then freeze/refrigerate it in portion sized containers and then i dont have to cook for a while, and just take the container along for lunch or grab it for dinner. The downside of that though is that my lunches and dinners end up being the same thing for a few days (unless i make a bunch of different dishes in a big cooking spree). It usually tastes so good that i dont mind that much, but it does get boring after a while...
    Same here. We just bought a chest freezer at the beginning of the year, and it has been SO NICE for making stuff in bulk and preserving it for quick meals later.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ENFp sister likes to cook more than I do, particularly since getting together with her ISTp. She's more experimental. I tend to follow recipes and then branch out; she's the other way around.

Sometimes it can be relaxing to cook, kind of focusing my senses. But I tend to feel like I don't have enough time to really do it, especially nowadays.

It can be fun to team cook because then I get to be with someone and interact with them and accomplish something with them in addition to the obvious practical benefits of food. And I like when the other person has a good idea of what they're doing.

I do like eating, and sometimes I forget to eat, so it's nice when someone is around who enjoys cooking.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It occurs to me that if I didn't have to cook all the time, I'd probably enjoy it more. But it is a major part of my life - cooking, and then cleaning - and I have to deal with several people's tastes/likes/dislikes. It's become an obligation.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I cook healthy meals and my boyfriend appreciates that a lot. He said that he likes to see me eat healthy and he thinks I'm a good example for him. He works out, eats right, and is motivated to live a healthy life as well as to live in the moment. I like to think that I was a major contributor to his new healthy lifestyle. LSE, in general, are attracted to those who like to take care of themselves.

I encourage him to go hiking and stop working for a while. He works 23 hours a day and sleeps one hour.

I like it a lot because it's a part of me. I like keeping the people I love healthy, or at least contributing to this effort.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-27-2011 at 03:05 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I hate cooking. I like eating and slavery.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    He works 23 hours a day and sleeps one hour.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

How long are his days?
    lol 24 hours.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't use to have an interest in cooking and I think a lot of it had to do with a fear of not being "good" at it I guess. I was never really mentored by anyone in it so I basically learned through TV and the internet, but over the past few years I've found it more enjoyable and feel comfortable branching out and experimenting with exotic ingredients and cooking styles
    I'd eventually like to take classes just for personal interest to get better at it, I feel like there's a degree of independence when you can cook, both mentally and to get away from the processed prepackaged meals everywhere. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than going to restaurants

In terms of the process of cooking, I do rather like it even if it can be stressful, it gets me "out of my head" and I feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm done.
    Overall though I prefer baking since there's a lot more aesthetics that go into it and I've always liked art, so it sort of brings the best of both worlds into one for me, but I don't get to bake often (generally only Christmas) since I'm trying to avoid excess sugar
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I cook healthy meals and my boyfriend appreciates that a lot. He said that he likes to see me eat healthy and he thinks I'm a good example for him. He works out, eats right, and is motivated to live a healthy life as well as to live in the moment. I like to think that I was a major contributor to his new healthy lifestyle. LSE, in general, are attracted to those who like to take care of themselves.

I encourage him to go hiking and stop working for a while. He works 23 hours a day and sleeps one hour.

I like it a lot because it's a part of me. I like keeping the people I love healthy, or at least contributing to this effort.
    When do you see him?
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

LOL, he doesn't work like that every day. That was a generalization, but he is a work-a-holic.
    -

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps he works as a therapist?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    It can be fun to team cook because then I get to be with someone and interact with them and accomplish something with them in addition to the obvious practical benefits of food. And I like when the other person has a good idea of what they're doing.
    If you can cook together in a relationship, that's a good sign.

If you can't function together in the kitchen, that's not a good sign.

I like team cooking.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    If you can cook together in a relationship, that's a good sign.

If you can't function together in the kitchen, that's not a good sign.

I like team cooking.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    hmm sometimes i like to cook, like I enjoy reading through cookbooks and thinking of recipes to try and all that.

But I don't like the daily grind of cooking a meal, cleaning, cooking another meal, cleaning, cooking another meal, cleaning.

So I guess my ideal situation would be to live in a huge city like NYC with tons of killer take out options and then only cook when it sounded like fun.
    This, cooking is like any other art form. It should never be allowed to become tedious and menial.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. I make everything from Vietnamese to Italian. And I'm seeing an IEE who is a (very, very good) professional chef. So yeah. We cook.
    IEE

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    Yup. I make everything from Vietnamese to Italian. And I'm seeing an IEE who is a (very, very good) professional chef. So yeah. We cook.
    What's a good Vietnamese meal that's easy to prepare?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    What's a good Vietnamese meal that's easy to prepare?
    Hot dogs.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Hot dogs.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Mr. Cyrano.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On your first date, you ask your g/f if she likes Vietnamese food, and take her to a hot dog stand.
    Last edited by Park; 06-09-2011 at 05:54 PM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't stop laughing. Mr Cyrano, you're a legend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast