Thread: Galen's 30 Day Song Challenge

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Galen's 30 Day Song Challenge

Stolen from everybody else who posts music stuff on here :3

I saw this on facebook earlier today and it seemed fun so now I'm doing it. The only difference is that I'll do it in reverse order, since ending with "favorite song of all time" seems more apropos than beginning with it.

day 30 - your favorite song at this time last year

Lena - Satellite

I honestly don’t remember what I was listening to last year, but I do remember finding this and having it grow on me really quickly. I knew next to nothing about Eurovision before this song, except that most/all of the songs in it are terrible. This track I guess is the one exception aside from Alexander Rybak. Good tune, bouncey in all the right ways.

Creepy-male

Really? What about the French 2009 song? That one is forever etched in my memory.

I swear it's the anthem of every melancholic IS type ever.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    Really? What about the French 2009 song? That one is forever etched in my memory.

I swear it's the anthem of every melancholic IS type ever.
    Oh, I haven't even heard that lol. Listening now.

Don't see what's to ISXx about it aside from the woman singing it.

Creepy-male

My mum and I both love it, and I already know it'd be right up my LSI friend's alley. It seems a lot of IS types seem to gravitate toward melancholic music.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of doing something like this, except instead of posting music I like, I was going to write a musical piece each day.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    My mum and I both love it, and I already know it'd be right up my LSI friend's alley. It seems a lot of IS types seem to gravitate toward melancholic music.
    I gravitate towards melancholic music too.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember what my favorite song was last time this year.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I was thinking of doing something like this, except instead of posting music I like, I was going to write a musical piece each day.
    You should do it, that would rule - I'd love to hear it! hell, I should start writing music again too...

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of it, but a song a day sounds like waaaaaay too much for anybody. If it were a song a week or so, even two weeks, then you should totally go for it.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 29 - a song from your childhood

Jean-Michel Jarre - Souvenir De Chine

I first heard of Jarre when I was maybe seven or eight. Since then he's become by greatest source of compositional inspiration, and I'm bound to use him more later on in this list. I chose Souvenir De Chine for today because it's the one song of his that stuck out the most for me as a kid. It's such a simple yet evocative progression, and it has that sort of emotional build that I admire Jarre so much for.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I like the idea of it, but a song a day sounds like waaaaaay too much for anybody. If it were a song a week or so, even two weeks, then you should totally go for it.
    Every day wouldn't be too hard if you're pulling a stravinsky. More of an exercise than an accomplishment.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every day wouldn't be too hard if you're pulling a stravinsky. More of an exercise than an accomplishment.
    Please clarify

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Please clarify
    Write 100 measures a day. Helps to just be productive and not try to perfect/hold back ideas. I see frustration at first, but training to eventually flow freely and get those ideas out.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

GALEN'S 30 day song challenge

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Ryu I took this idea from facebook and I had intended for it to just be mine. You're more than welcome to start your own thread about it if you like.

Basically what Kassie said (thx~)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S'cool.

day 28 - a song that makes you feel guilty

Pink - Who Knew

This topic was really confusing for me. I was certain that there was a song that made me feel as if I had done something wrong, or at the very least reminded of a time when I had felt guilty about something. I tried recreating the feeling in my head (and everything else about my body I suppose), and something about it felt familiar musically but nothing really came up. So this is the closest I could get.

Again, the song itself doesn't really make me feel like I've done something wrong. I think it's a really pretty song and I have no problems with it except for the "yeah huh that's right." What makes me feel "guilty" about it goes back to when I was in Japan and a bunch of friends and I did Karaoke together. One of my friends is a pretty good singer and she chose this song one time. What happened is that she sang the first chorus with the same melody and intensity as the last chorus, which made me angry because that's not how the flow of the song works for me. I kinda yelled at her for how she sang it, and naturally she was pissed at me for doing so. It made me feel like crap, so I apologized several times after the incident happened. Fortunately we all sang Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and everything was fine again (or so she says ).

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 27 - a song that you wish you could play

Alexander Rybak - Foolin'

Rybak is probably gonna be another artist that's gonna appear a couple times on this list. If Eurovision is good for nothing else, it's for introducing me to this guy. Instantly fell in love with his music, not to mention his violin playing is simply superb, which is probably best exemplified by Foolin'. If only I wasn't totally traumatized by violin lessons when I was 8 years old he would inspire me to try to learn again.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 26 - a song that you can play on an instrument

Sidney Bechet - Petite Fleur

I played clarinet for a while in my high school and before years. I never practiced, and to this day I feel like I should have either gone through with it for real or just told my parents that I didn’t care, but instead I just played along. Sure I had fun, and I guess it was good for me to keep going with music at that age, but a lot of times it just felt more like a hassle than anything else. Anyways, my senior year in high school I discovered this song through my English class, and found it to be really pretty so I decided to try it out on clarinet. I eventually used the song as my instrument audition for the UCSB music department (which as it turns out I never needed, although I was never told how the fuck anything ever worked down there). Apparently the clarinet teacher instructor guy remembered me for the sole reason that I played a jazz piece, although I’d be very surprised if he remembered me at all today.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 25 - a song that makes you laugh

Buta Punch - ぺりーでぇす!(Perry Deesu! / I~t’s Perry!)

This song is the best reason for anybody to learn Japanese. When I first heard this song I would not stop laughing. WOULD NOT STOP. LAUGHING. Buta Punch gets 1000 America Points redeemable at any Walmart for this.

For those of you not in the know, the song is a parody on the arrival of Commodore Perry to Japan and him essentially demanding that the Japanese people open up their country to America with promises of ice cream and apple pies in return.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 24 - a song that you want to play at your funeral

Arctures - The Fog

http://soundcloud.com/arctures/the-fog

Not that I want to toot my own horn or anything, but this song was written for moments like that. It was inspired from both my last week or so in Japan, saying goodbyes and such, as well as the foggy weather. It's derived from the feeling of "these are my last minutes with you before the world around us collapses, so I'm gonna relish it as much as possible," if that means anything to anybody. Plus the fact that I wrote it makes that much more personal to me, so I couldn't think of a better choice for a funeral song.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 23 - a song that you want to play at your wedding

Neil Diamond - Delirious Love

Oh man am I ever glad Scrubs picks amazing music. This really is the perfect love song: it's not covered in sugar and sap, it just is what it is. It's not the future "I gonna luv u 4eva gurl", it's living in the moment, being present in the experience and relishing it for all its worth. I really just can't imagine anything better than what Diamond's preaching here, so wedding song it is.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 22 - a song that you listen to when you’re sad

Emiliana Torrini - If You Go Away

I think it was this song that introduced me to Emiliana Torrini, and I’m glad it did. Before this rendition I actually hadn’t heard the song before. I looked up other performances of it, but this one was by far the best imo.

I first heard this on a really gloomy, rainy day in Japan. I think I had a cold too, so I was just feeling out of it and saw no incentive to go out that day. Every time I hear this song, I think back to those dreary weather days.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 21 - a song that you listen to when you’re happy

Pomplamoose - If You Think You Need Some Lovin

This was the first original song by them that I've heard. Before this I found their Telephone remix and fell in love with their DIY musical spirit. I think why I listen to this song when I'm happy is pretty self-explanatory lol

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 20 - a song that you listen to when you’re angry

Bump of Chicken - 乗車権 (Joushaken, Right To Board (play on 乗車券, which is also Joushaken but means Boarding Ticket))

What perfect timing! Before yesterday I had no idea what song I'd choose for this day, since I'm rarely ever really angry. But now my computer's down and out for the moment, and this song has been on my mind for a while now. It sounds angry enough, so I think it works. Plus Bump of Chicken is an amazing band.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 19 - a song from your favorite album

Sara Bareilles - Fairytale

Okay, admittedly I don't really listen to whole albums too often. I go for the singles I like and leave the crap where it belongs (not in my ears). But after having heard this song, and a few others from Little Voice I had to get the whole thing, I should probably look into Kaleidoscope Heart too, it's got a couple catchy tunes on it.

Also, she's gorgeous.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 18 - a song that you wish you heard on the radio

Mark Owen - Makin' Out

There are soooooooooooo many choices I could do for today. I find most of my music online, and I barely ever listen to the radio anymore (I'm sure the stuff I find isn't all that mainstream anyways). So really, all this day entails is me shuffling through my favorited songs on Youtube and just pick one that's both the most obscure and the one I like the best. I'd say Makin' Out fits the bill pretty well.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 17 - a song you often hear on the radio

Sick Puppies - Maybe

Finally we get to a song I hate. I wouldn't say I hear this song "often," but it's more often then it should be. To me, this song is a recent example of how boring and stupid "rock" music can be. It feels so uninspired, so generic that any sort of radio airplay is unwarranted. Part of the reason is just that the chorus makes a stupid shift to C major from D major, a far more interesting and less hackneyed key. I guess it sets off my "this is familiar and boring" sensor, and it just makes me cringe. Also there are a couple moments of obvious autotune. God I hope this song leaves the radio soon.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate

Jem - It's Amazing

I figured I'd be seeing Jem around this time. I was pretty excited to hear her new album since I loved her first one so much, but after a month or so of listening to it it's really worn out its welcome. Much of the album is the same message over and over again: "don't give up on your dreams, you can do it, believe in yourself." I don't have an issue with this message so long as it's done sparingly and with some sort of cleverness. This song isn't. At first it was a good beat and a respectably catchy melody, but after actually paying attention to the lyrics I find myself kinda bored. Good thing she has a few good songs on the album, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it, which is a shame because I know she has some good stuff in her.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 15 - a song that describes you

Keane - Bad Dream

Halway through, and I'm surprised Keane hasn't shown up earlier in this thing yet. I find that I resonate with a lot of their songs really well, all the talk about nostalgia and self-doubt and perceived weakness and fear that can't be allocated to any source really gets to me in a personal way.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are allowed to comment if you want

day 14 - a song that no one would expect you to love

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

I don't know how unlikely it is to other people that I'd love this song, but I wouldn't expect me to love it either so I think it counts. I know that it doesn't stipulate that I have to love the song I post for this day, but if we're gonna make this a real 'challenge,' which today actually kinda was, I'm not gonna just post any old terrible song that nobody expects anybody to like.

I'm sure the reason I love this song is because of the mastering, which seems to be why I like any Katy Perry songs in the first place. She's also a pretty good singer, although I can't imagine her being too stellar performing live; sounds like a lot of the high notes she hits in her records were just one shot out of a few, like it was a stroke of sheer luck that she got it. Lyrically it's all just stupid pop music, but for some reason I don't mind it in this case; to be fair I do really like how she does "let's run away and don't ever look back."

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

07:57 <@k0rp> working my way through Galen's 30 day song challenge.
    08:07 <@k0rp> I guess Galen and I won't be trading CDs any time soon.
    08:08 <@k0rp> he doesn't seem to value violent emotions at all, which is a bit strange and worrisome.
    08:20 <@k0rp> well, now we're on to a song Galen hates. let's see if I like it.
    08:22 <@k0rp> nope

Jem's ok.

Oh goodness, that demon curiosity led me to sidestep into a linked video and now I've been infected by Black Veil Brides, a band who appears to idolize Nikki Sixx and generic LA rock. Judging by the high production values of their video and their elaborate costumes I can only assume that these unremarkable unknowns' parents love them far more than they really should. May they be euthanized.

Alright, back to Galen's world.

Teenage Dream without the lisping midget? I've never experienced it this way. Bizarre.

Wellllllllllll, there's a general languid and nostalgic nature to much of this music, no metal, club bangers, swaggering, anthems, or sharp transitions. Def. low on the ruff'ntuff Se and high on the personal Fi, kinda how I imagine a general δ-NF vibe to be (laghlagh's picks are roughly on the same emotional wavelength, or so they seem). I like the daily evolving theme, an interesting touch. Your aesthetics certainly stand apart from mine but there's really nothing in here I've found "offensive", and it's quite possible I'd like different songs by the same artistes that you've selected (actually Pink is an occasional guilty indulgence, don't tell anyone). I'm curious how the remaining sequence will play out, and whether you'll include anything that'll draw a pronounced reaction from me, good or bad.

Oh yeah, and clarinet in high school and not practicing? I always thought they were meant to go together.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    Wellllllllllll, there's a general languid and nostalgic nature to much of this music, no metal, club bangers, swaggering, anthems, or sharp transitions. Def. low on the ruff'ntuff Se and high on the personal Fi, kinda how I imagine a general δ-NF vibe to be (laghlagh's picks are roughly on the same emotional wavelength, or so they seem). I like the daily evolving theme, an interesting touch. Your aesthetics certainly stand apart from mine but there's really nothing in here I've found "offensive", and it's quite possible I'd like different songs by the same artistes that you've selected (actually Pink is an occasional guilty indulgence, don't tell anyone).
    Looks like that marriage is off then

Oh yeah, and clarinet in high school and not practicing? I always thought they were meant to go together.
    Nobody ever made me practice, and I had no drive to do it myself, but my parents still insisted that I take lessons.

I'm curious how the remaining sequence will play out, and whether you'll include anything that'll draw a pronounced reaction from me, good or bad.
    well aren't you in luck

day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure

Lemon Demon - 123456 Pokemon

I should feel ashamed for liking this song so much, but the retard in me just can't say no. This is probably related to my addiction to youtube poop as well: non-sequiter thing following non-sequiter thing following non-sequiter thing ad nauseum. There really isn't much I can do to qualify this, so I should probably cut it off now, lol.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 12 - a song from a band you hate

Ke$ha - Blah Blah Blah

This one should be pretty self-explanatory. I kinda feel stupid not giving a more controversial answer (The White Stripes was a close second), but I really don't have a great sense of artists I hate. Of course I have single songs that I hate, but not entire artists. Kesha is the one exception to the rule, whose entire body of work I've heard has turned me way off. I choose Blah Blah Blah because it was the first time I'd heard anything of hers, and I had no choice but to sit through the entire thing.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 11 - a song from your favorite band

Radwimps - マニフェスト (Manifesto)

Shit, this is a really tough call. I've been trying to make sure I don't repeat artists for this challenge (even though that may have to be fucked up for the last day), so I have to go with Radwimps for today. This isn't so much a concession to a stupid rule I'm trying to uphold as much as it is just a difficult choice, because my top 3 bands are really damn close. So I've chosen Radwimps for two reasons: firstly, I'll probably not get another chance to post them here; secondly, they're much more diverse than the other two artists in the top 3, and I like the bulk of their body of work more than the collective works of the other two. Granted the other two have some songs that totally blow Radwimps out of the water, but on the whole Radwimps clicks with me more consistently than the other two.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 10 - a song that makes you fall asleep

Brian Eno - By This River

Listening to this song at night literally makes me drowsy. The reason why should be obvious.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 09 - a song that you can dance to

VENTURA - Lupin the 3rd '78

Super short one this time around, but it's still a good one. It was made just for DDR, and since I can't actually dance I'm gonna count DDR instead lol. Probably my favorite song in the entire series, so of course I'm gonna 'dance' to it.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 08 - a song that you know all the words to

Amelia Curran - The Mistress

I'm assuming they aren't asking for easy stuff like Mary Had a Little Lamb (unless that's the best you got). I'll post this because it seems kinda impressive to memorise: just the same basic pattern 10 times in a row, and nothing changes at all except the lyrics (this is called Strophic songwriting btw). I never even consciously intended to remember all the words to this song, I've just listened to it so many damn times that it's stuck in my head forever. This is the only song by Curran I know or really care about, and apparently that's the opinion of everybody else who's heard her. Still a fantastic song though, I could listen to it on a loop all day song, and I have.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event

Kors K - Heaven Above

I could probably do the next four days in a single song, but I’m gonna be nitpicky and divide it up as much as I can.

This song takes me back to Bowlmanifest ‘08. For those of you (most if not all of you) who don’t know what that is, Bowlmanifest was a big (small) music video game meet-up in Winchendon, Massachusetts. I’d never heard of Winchendon before, and neither has anybody else in the world, but it had a fucking amazing music arcade. It was really the center of music gaming activity in the US until it got flooded and was forced to close in ‘09; rest in peace .

One of the big things they did was bring in an actual producer from Japan who wrote music for these games and have him hold a concert. Both times they got this guy Kors K, and he’s by far my favorite music game artist so I had absolutely no problem with this. In ‘08 he actually wrote an awesome Schranz remix of the Simpsons theme, which I can’t find anywhere anymore. But this song in specific reminds me of that whole event because I got to sit and cuddle while it played. Good memory that was.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere

The Beatles - Hey Jude

Uhm, there are a couple places this song reminds me of. The second one is something I’m nowhere near prepared to talk about, so I’ll just go with the first.

I first went to Japan in my senior year of high school as part of a school trip. We all stayed in Kyoto for a couple days, and during our stay there we all went to a trip to a karaoke tower. In the bigger cities they tend to have giant structures filled with the one thing you want instead of just having one floor dedicated to it. Karaoke is a popular commodity anyways, so they’d easily benefit from renting an entire building.

Anyway, we stayed there for what I think was a couple of hours. I only sang one song because I was a *shy-boy* or some shit, and one song was a big enough accomplishment for me. At the end of the night the main chaperone guy suggested that we all sing Hey Jude. I had never heard the song in full before, but I knew the naaaaaaanaaanaaanananaanaaaanaaaananananananaanaaa a part so I just did that. It was a nice way to round out the evening, getting everybody involved.

Then on the last day of our stay, down in Hiroshima with our host families, we all went to this buffet-style Shabu-sen restaurant (best food I’ve ever eaten btw, really have to get shabu-shabu sometime soon). There just so happened to be a karaoke machine there; not sure if it was lugged in just for our being there, but we took advantage of it nonetheless. We sang some of the basics: the ABCs (in a really stupid rhythm because the Japanese don’t understand rhyme scheme and just make shit up as they go along), Oh Suzanna I think was in there, maybe something like Sekai Wa Hitotsu Dake No Hana, or something at least as popular as that. But one of the last songs we sang was Hey Jude, which surprised me because I had no idea it was such a popular song in Japan.

I’ve since made it a habit to sing this song whenever I go to Karaoke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast