Thread: Creating your own structure/system and being 'drained'

Creepy-

Default Creating your own structure/system and being 'drained'

I was wondering of the best way to go about creating a system, or structure. (Geared towards INTjs, but anyone can answer).

Let us use the example of creating a daily routine. My current environment is very bare, as per it being summer vacation. (I probably will take courses next year over the summer, having learned my lesson). There is somewhat of a depression in the air, I find. So I try to keep myself busy.

But there is the aspect of "being drained"

I don't know how to directly classify it, but it comes from when I think I am wasting my time on something that isn't necessary. But the couter to that is something that is necessary, but only for the short term. There are issues with practicality, and in general I dispise sleeping and having to eat - it really does get in the way. So in an attempt to overcome this, I've tried to come up with some sort of daily schedule, but it has not yet come to terms in the way I would like to.

I ask for your opinion not for so much that I am 'running low on ideas', but more so for an insipration perhaps, or at least something to compare or measure to or from.

I am a fan of to-do lists and prioritizing, for sure.
    ..... But then again perhaps part of the problem is that I don't like summer vacation in general, and maybe have issues with the concept of free time.

Your thoughts are welcomed

Creepy-pokeball

I wish I could help you. This is why I love my INTj friend. I can verbalize ideas, perceptions and random inferences and he can synthesize them in seconds. It is so difficult to brainstorm in text.

Creepy-

I must be donig something wrong, though, because I end up feeling more lazy at the end of the day, instead of feeling like I've done something, or feel accomplished. That's basically because I know I didn't do anything that really mattered. And obvioulsy one can connect the dots and say "well, man, just focus on what matters, and make that your priority". I understand that.

....... Maybe I'm just whining

Hmm...

Creepy-pokeball

Really mattered as to what standards? That is the question. Youre still young. Trust me when I say that will not last. This is a period in your lifetime that you cannot repeat. Youre doing well in college (I assume). That is far beyond what most could wish for. Most people are paralyzed at this very thought at your age. Youre continually growing. I assume that you are in good health. Everything seems find. So--- relax Goals are obviously important. They keep us going and theyre a foundation of healthy growth during one's lifespan. But one doesnt need so many that they are lost inside of them. That seems suicidal. Of course, my preferences may be different. For example, one really awesome lady on the INTJ (MBTI) forum I belong to was a lawyer for some odd years. And she went full force at it. This year she decided to quit and become a writer. She said she had mastered what she was doing. So,ya, maybe youre like that. Or maybe not. The entire point is to see what suits you so that you dont end up feeling the way you do. But do remember to breathe, too.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free time has never really bothered me. I always find something interesting to do to occupy my time. However, sometimes, like you, at the end of the day I feel lazy and unproductive and I get upset with myself for not structuring my time more wisely. Fortunately, I haven't had to worry about summer break for several years. I volunteer at a local Bible camp for kids where the schedule is pre-made and I know that I'm doing something that matters long-term. So perhaps you can do something like that... or, like Jadae suggested, find something that you're interested in and pursue that.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Creepy-

Good ideas about volunteering and stuff. I'm looking into getting ajob, which will probably help. Being aroudn other people always seems to reassure me that I'm doing the right thing ( ). Not that they are really doing anything wrong, but it sort of just reminds me that I'm.... mytself.

There is a huge difference between complete isolation and solitude by choice. It is strange.....

As for what Jadae said, it is sort of like that. I'm MBTI INTJ too.

Really mattered as to what standards? That is the question. Youre still young. Trust me when I say that will not last. This is a period in your lifetime that you cannot repeat. Youre doing well in college (I assume). That is far beyond what most could wish for. Most people are paralyzed at this very thought at your age. Youre continually growing. I assume that you are in good health
    My standards are too high sometimes. But my health is good, so that is a plus. I should not forget how good it is to use both legs, and breath air properly (Sinus cold + Spinal problems). I am very fortunate and have a great oppertunity..... but that leads to not wanting to ruin the oppertunity. Damn, I think I'm getting passive-aggressive on myself and indirectly guilting.

The majority of the answer, though, can be best demonstrated by simply advising myself to stop thinking in terms of myself so much. What I can do, and what I can do for other people, etc. (I really like that page on "Awakening the Ego" on Rick's site).

Interesting... I think this might be another matter of 'focus'.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    I must be donig something wrong, though, because I end up feeling more lazy at the end of the day, instead of feeling like I've done something, or feel accomplished. That's basically because I know I didn't do anything that really mattered. And obvioulsy one can connect the dots and say "well, man, just focus on what matters, and make that your priority". I understand that.

....... Maybe I'm just whining

Hmm...
    probably not what you want to hear - but i think your worrying too much about this stuff. i would concentrate on just one thing. you may internally want to accomplish a 1000% of everything. when instead you should let your brain rest a bit. i don't suggest running to the beach, or some other busy annoying place.

but you can get a hobby. or create something. ideally i know the feeling, i have so many things in my head, that i have to do something so i can get those internal programs out of my head (i tend to repeat them until accomplished). it's a nice relief to get that stuff out of my head a total euphora if you will.

but if i concentrated on everything i wanted to do, i would go mad.
    INTJ, INTp, ILI

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, that is reasonable.

Actually, that is what happened to me yesterday in my class. I was having a horrible day focus wise, and my energy was down, so my instructor basically focused me on doing one thing and doing it very well, and working on it the whole time. It was just the right thing to do, because I gained energy and confidence from doing that one thing well.

I'll have to remember that technique.

I'm trying to think of this as a sort of "off season". I still want to maximize my time and get lots of thigns done, but I guess I do need to allow myself to take it easy. I am most relaxed, though, when I am doing something that I think is important. Reading a ' ' 'good' ' ' book, perhaps, is one of those things.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I read this recently on another forum, it reminded me of your question. No idea if it's what you mean, so - sorry if it's unrelated.

There's a certain state of mind I find myself in sometimes, where I'm not getting any work done, I'm not getting any sleep in, and I'm not particularly having much fun or even relaxing, and, by my definition, I'm wasting time. Basically procrastinating, reading sites, sitting around, it's icky.

So what I did is I made a list over a few weeks of all the little tiny things that contribute to getting me in that state, and the actions I can take to reverse them. My list has a few categories with things such as brushing my teeth, cleaning up my desk, stretching, bathing, organizing a list of tasks for the day, using the bathroom, getting proper nutrition. All of these things are incredibly mundane, but they're very easy to forget, and not doing them contributes to that feeling.

What I do when I'm feeling all nasty like that, or any time I need to get work done, is I flip to that page in my pocket moleskine, then get out a post-it note and copy down all the items that are relevant. Usually there are a small handful of em, and it'll take me about fifteen minutes to get in a nice state where I can approach my work comfortably.

The trick here is that doing any one of those items on the list doesn't do a hell of a lot. But in a ten minute dash, suddenly my desk is clean, I've organized my list of tasks, I've changed from the clothes I've been wearing all week, and I've got a nice cold soda. It feels good, because there's a good chance that most of those things were subconsciously bugging me.
    You can find it here: http://board.43folders.com/showthread.php?t=504.

Creepy-

unrelated
    No, actually it is similar. It touches on a different aspect of the situation, but it is still relevant. I apprecaite you sharing it.

PS: If you or anyone else knows of sites like that, let me know. I may not be able to use them directly, but having material to work with i s always a good thing