Hybrid View

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if mirror switching is a top mistake, how is it to be avoided?

I find the quasi thing less likely for me with people I actually know; quadra considerations seem to sort it out.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post

I find the quasi thing less likely for me with people I actually know; quadra considerations seem to sort it out.
    If it's true that you're as likely to mistype as your quasi as you are your mirror, and not as likely to mistype as your contrary, you could use that to help determine mirrors. IOW, if deciding between EIE and IEI, you could look at the plausibility of misytping as IEE vs EII. If it's the former, then EIE is more likely, and if it's the latter, then IEI is more likely.

It makes sense, but there might be cases where a contrary typing does seem more likely, such as strong and obvious rationality/irrationality. But, in those cases, you're not going to be looking at your mirror as a choice to begin with.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    If it's true that you're as likely to mistype as your quasi as you are your mirror, and not as likely to mistype as your contrary, you could use that to help determine mirrors. IOW, if deciding between EIE and IEI, you could look at the plausibility of misytping as IEE vs EII. If it's the former, then EIE is more likely, and if it's the latter, then IEI is more likely.

It makes sense, but there might be cases where a contrary typing does seem more likely, such as strong and obvious rationality/irrationality. But, in those cases, you're not going to be looking at your mirror as a choice to begin with.
    Yeah, that's another application I was thinking of. You can use this method not just to sort through other people's suggested typings, but also for when you're trying to type someone yourself, and you've come up with a range of typings that you can't decide between.
    Quaero Veritas.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werlkjlakjeraoiaeswroiaer View Post

My feeling about mirror switching: This is actually not a very bad mistake. If you mistype them as their mirror, they're still in the right quadra, they'll still get along with the other quadra members, they'll still have some degree of attraction towards their duals and activators. The results will still be relatively peaceful and satisfying for the person, and the intertype relations theory will mostly match their reality. So yeah, I'd categorize the mirror mistyping as 'Least Concern.'

However, being typed as something in a completely different quadra is the one that bothers me the most. That means that you'll be in totally the wrong place, with duals and activators who aren't at all attractive/attracted to you, people who don't understand you at all, and you'll feel disappointed and disillusioned with socionics in general and will have a tendency to say 'All of this intertype relations stuff is B.S.' It will be the 'forever alone' thing again - 'nobody has ever understood me, nobody ever will, and socionics didn't help me with this.'

So actually, the consequences of being mistyped as your mirror are the least worrisome to me, and in my opinion, the lowest priority.

I agree about the quasis sorting themselves out, when you can watch people interacting with others in the real world. It's a lot harder online.

I never noticed this thread before. This is really interesting!

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beware of the dreaded 'Null' mistyping, being mistyped as one's own Identical. Of all possible mistypings, this is the most difficult to notice and troubleshoot. Even the most skillful and experienced socionists have fallen for this one. It is the most common of all possible mistypings, as your Identical behaves just like you in every way. Null mistypings can persist for years before they are finally caught and corrected.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post
    Beware of the dreaded 'Null' mistyping, being mistyped as one's own Identical. Of all possible mistypings, this is the most difficult to notice and troubleshoot. Even the most skillful and experienced socionists have fallen for this one. It is the most common of all possible mistypings, as your Identical behaves just like you in every way. Null mistypings can persist for years before they are finally caught and corrected.

IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah and it's sometimes hard to tell on oneself how one acts. This is actually one reason i mistyped myself initially, because i didn't recognize myself in the IEE descriptions until i read one that was written by an IEE.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Part of this is true, Nicole, however, types can literally "borrow" you and your style, seeming very much like yourself.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werlkjlakjeraoiaeswroiaer View Post

My feeling about mirror switching: This is actually not a very bad mistake. If you mistype them as their mirror, they're still in the right quadra, they'll still get along with the other quadra members, they'll still have some degree of attraction towards their duals and activators. The results will still be relatively peaceful and satisfying for the person, and the intertype relations theory will mostly match their reality. So yeah, I'd categorize the mirror mistyping as 'Least Concern.'

However, being typed as something in a completely different quadra is the one that bothers me the most. That means that you'll be in totally the wrong place, with duals and activators who aren't at all attractive/attracted to you, people who don't understand you at all, and you'll feel disappointed and disillusioned with socionics in general and will have a tendency to say 'All of this intertype relations stuff is B.S.' It will be the 'forever alone' thing again - 'nobody has ever understood me, nobody ever will, and socionics didn't help me with this.'

So actually, the consequences of being mistyped as your mirror are the least worrisome to me, and in my opinion, the lowest priority.

I agree about the quasis sorting themselves out, when you can watch people interacting with others in the real world. It's a lot harder online.

I never noticed this thread before. This is really interesting!

As far as avoiding Mirror typings is concerned, I look for Positivist/Negativist and cognitive styles (of which Positivist/Negativist is half) in addition to temperaments, those all can clear things up big time...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post

As far as avoiding Mirror typings is concerned, I look for Positivist/Negativist and cognitive styles (of which Positivist/Negativist is half) in addition to temperaments, those all can clear things up big time...
    If anyone manages to convince me to learn the dichotomies, it will probably be you. I haven't learned them yet, but every time you talk about them, I become slightly more convinced that they would be useful to know.