Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Japan--giving, helping

The question came up in chat as to what Japan is or is not able to receive just yet in terms of aid. So as we get more information, why don't we post it here?

This New York Times discussion is the first mainstream news article I've seen on this topic:

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...roups-in-japan

Here's a link to a piece in The Nation detailing what organizations are sending aid; these could use financial support, although it's not clear that any gifts they receive will be earmarked (and I'm against earmarking, personally):

http://www.thenation.com/blog/159222/how-help-japan

Maybe some Japan-specific relief funds will be established in the coming days and weeks. It seems like most of their problems, in terms of direct aid to survivors, are currently infrastructural and not related to money per se.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't need money at all.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

They need hope and a prayer for a miracle that those rods don't melt down. I should say having a nuclear disaster.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 03-16-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, melting rods.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Lol, melting rods.
    whatever, you know what I mean.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    They need hope and a prayer for a miracle that those rods don't melt down.
    u got that right. I'm praying really hard!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    u got that right. I'm praying really hard!
    Me too. I really feel terrible for these people. It's heartbreaking, terrifying and brutal.
    -

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    They don't need money at all.
    Although this may be true, for people inclined to give, I do agree that donating some money to an organization that has people on the ground is the best approach.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

They don't need money. Throwing money at institutions that have limited access to necessities isn't going to help. It's like having a stash of gold without having anything to exchange it for. What good does it do if you add to that stash with more gold, if you can't get food for it. You can't eat gold. Japan has the financial resources to support their own disaster. They need to get help or a miracle to solve this nuclear situation.
    -

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I have followed every twist and turn of this unfolding set of disasters in two languages, so I don't need to be preached at or corrected as if I am totally naive.

I made this thread because yesterday in chat, someone was upset at not being able to send something to Japan. My argument was (a) there is no infrastructure in place for getting things (mailed from abroad) to anyone, even if they need them, and (b) the scale of the problems is way huge at the moment, and people in Japan, in cooperation with multinational rescue efforts, are currently managing things as best they can and there's not much we can do about it as individuals.

My prayer goes like this: Dear God, you really effed up in Japan. Please fix it ASAP. Oh, you mean you can't bring back to life the probable 40K dead people. Damn.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, btw. Pray all you want, if it makes you feel better. Maybe there's some point to it for those who believe in it.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post

My prayer goes like this: Dear God, you really effed up in Japan. Please fix it ASAP. Oh, you mean you can't bring back to life the probable 40K dead people. Damn.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, btw. Pray all you want, if it makes you feel better. Maybe there's some point to it for those who believe in it.
    That's part of the point to Fi otherwise we couldn't help in any real physical way and we know it.
    -

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's part of the point to Fi otherwise we couldn't help in any real physical way and we know it.
    Then I'm glad I'm not Fi-valuing. The point of praying FOR someone else is to make yourself feel better. Nice.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Then I'm glad I'm not Fi-valuing. The point of praying FOR someone else is to make yourself feel better. Nice.
    Yes. It's subjective internal emotions. What are you going to do....send money?
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so let's see. Only Fi types pray. And all Fi types pray. And Fi types who pray do so to make themselves feel better rather than because they actually believe it helps.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    Ok, so let's see. Only Fi types pray. And all Fi types pray. And Fi types who pray do so to make themselves feel better rather than because they actually believe it helps.

I believe it helps because it unifies people, brings us together to assess situations for the future. If we can't give money, than we'll prepare to give blankets or food...it's more than S (do things now that are not efficient and are pointless).
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent money to the Red Cross. Maybe it won't help them immediately, but they'll need help for a long time, as will victims of the tsunamis in other countries who don't have Japan's wealth.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I sent money to the Red Cross. Maybe it won't help them immediately, but they'll need help for a long time, as will victims of the tsunamis in other countries who don't have Japan's wealth.
    I do too, but this isn't about the Red Cross.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do too, but this isn't about the Red Cross.
    I am just surprised you're laughing about giving money to help after a disaster like this with so many people affected.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this is more what I think makes sense. The Japan crises are in the news so they're weighing on people's minds and hearts. And it's well established that charitable giving is sometimes about making ourselves feel less guilty, if we are doing relatively well.

But tons of stuff is NOT in the news, and many organizations could use donations for other things we're not thinking about.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I am just surprised you're laughing about giving money to help after a disaster like this with so many people affected.
    She said give them money, not the Red Cross.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well as I said in the thread about emotions, guilt is a driving force for me. But it's also about putting myself in that place and knowing how thankful I'd be if I were in a terrible disaster and people from all over wanted to help. And about the world being a community where people care about each other.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe it helps because it unifies people, brings us together to assess situations for the future. If we can't give money, than we'll prepare to give blankets or food...it's more than S (do things now that are not efficient and are pointless).
    This is the WHOLE reason I made this thread to begin with. The Japanese cannot get your blankets and food to anyone at the moment, and will not be able to for a long time to come. Many past disasters all over the world have made this quite clear. Administrating a bunch of physical donations like this is a huge burden and not a help.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Them" is charitable organizations that will help Japan, such as the Red Cross. Who did you think "them" referred to? The Japanese prime minister?
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I didn't. The articles I linked to point to giving money to organizations that are already in place to accept monetary donations and actually DO things, all over the world. The second article mentions the Red Cross specifically.

If you are going to comment on stuff I post, please try to actually read and understand it.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Red Cross does things all over the world, and I didn't earmark my donation so that it can be used where most needed. After 9/11 that was a big deal - so much money was earmarked for 9/11, more than was needed for that, and it couldn't be used elsewhere.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    Thank you.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really tempted to post a demotivational poster about prayer.

Anyway, here is a list of NGO disaster relief organizations

http://www.disastercenter.com/agency.htm
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually find this reprehensible.

How about when you lose everything, your home, your land, maybe your family, and then you find out someone scoffs at the notion of donating money to help. I'm sure you'd laugh right with them, right?
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's been a record number of scam charities popping up in the wake of this mess, so people are being strongly urged to donate to respected and established relief organizations like the Red Cross. If you're solicited for donations and want to dole out, a few tips from our good ol' buddies at the FBI:

* Do not respond to any unsolicited (spam) incoming e-mails, including clicking links contained within those messages because they may contain computer viruses.

* Be skeptical of individuals representing themselves as members of charitable organizations or officials asking for donations via e-mail or social networking sites.

* Beware of organizations with copy-cat names similar to but not exactly the same as those of reputable charities.

* Rather than follow a purported link to a website, verify the legitimacy of nonprofit organizations by utilizing various Internet-based resources that may assist in confirming the group’s existence and its nonprofit status.

* Be cautious of e-mails that claim to show pictures of the disaster areas in attached files because the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders.

* To ensure contributions are received and used for intended purposes, make contributions directly to known organizations rather than relying on others to make the donation on your behalf.

* Do not be pressured into making contributions; reputable charities do not use such tactics.

* Be aware of whom you are dealing with when providing your personal and financial information. Providing such information may compromise your identity and make you vulnerable to identity theft.

* Avoid cash donations if possible. Pay by credit card or write a check directly to the charity. Do not make checks payable to individuals.

* Legitimate charities do not normally solicit donations via money transfer services. Most legitimate charities websites end in .org rather than .com.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Fe demonstrators look so much like ego block holders no wonder why they are so attracted to each other; thanks for the material on type differences guys.
    -

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I doubt what Maritsa has posted in this thread has much to do directly with her values regarding Japan. Her comments made it clear that she didn't pay attention to the links I provided, nor to the actual things that were stated.

So I can only surmise that she posted here after DJ simply because she is sure he is her dual and therefore she should give the nod to anything he says.

And by the way, whatever duality might be, I don't think it is about backing up your dual mindlessly.

And only this kind of BS could turn a simple thread, in relation to guidance for some people feeling compelled to be charitable, into an egotistical trainwreck.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    I actually find this reprehensible.

How about when you lose everything, your home, your land, maybe your family, and then you find out someone scoffs at the notion of donating money to help. I'm sure you'd laugh right with them, right?
    You're reading far far into this....and claiming to things I neither said nor do I believe. Why do you create stories.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Oh, I doubt what Maritsa has posted in this thread has much to do directly with her values regarding Japan. Her comments made it clear that she didn't pay attention to the links I provided, nor to the actual things that were stated.

So I can only surmise that she posted here after DJ simply because she is sure he is her dual and therefore she should give the nod to anything he says.

And by the way, whatever duality might be, I don't think it is about backing up your dual mindlessly.

And only this kind of BS could turn a simple thread, in relation to guidance for some people feeling compelled to be charitable, into an egotistical trainwreck.
    Sequencing make belief events that aren't real. Ni
    -

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe demonstrators look so much like ego block holders no wonder why they are so attracted to each other; thanks for the material on type differences guys.
    I am putting you on ignore and leaving you there.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I am putting you on ignore and leaving you there.
    good
    I don't value a relationship with you.
    -

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    There's been a record number of scam charities popping up in the wake of this mess, so people are being strongly urged to donate to respected and established relief organizations like the Red Cross. If you're solicited for donations and want to dole out, a few tips from our good ol' buddies at the FBI:

* Do not respond to any unsolicited (spam) incoming e-mails, including clicking links contained within those messages because they may contain computer viruses.

* Be skeptical of individuals representing themselves as members of charitable organizations or officials asking for donations via e-mail or social networking sites.

* Beware of organizations with copy-cat names similar to but not exactly the same as those of reputable charities.

* Rather than follow a purported link to a website, verify the legitimacy of nonprofit organizations by utilizing various Internet-based resources that may assist in confirming the group’s existence and its nonprofit status.

* Be cautious of e-mails that claim to show pictures of the disaster areas in attached files because the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders.

* To ensure contributions are received and used for intended purposes, make contributions directly to known organizations rather than relying on others to make the donation on your behalf.

* Do not be pressured into making contributions; reputable charities do not use such tactics.

* Be aware of whom you are dealing with when providing your personal and financial information. Providing such information may compromise your identity and make you vulnerable to identity theft.

* Avoid cash donations if possible. Pay by credit card or write a check directly to the charity. Do not make checks payable to individuals.

* Legitimate charities do not normally solicit donations via money transfer services. Most legitimate charities websites end in .org rather than .com.
    Thanks for these tips, Korps.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't need money. Throwing money at institutions that have limited access to necessities isn't going to help. It's like having a stash of gold without having anything to exchange it for. What good does it do if you add to that stash with more gold, if you can't get food for it. You can't eat gold. Japan has the financial resources to support their own disaster. They need to get help or a miracle to solve this nuclear situation.
    Just making sure this is on the record.

I sort of understand what you're trying to say, however, I find it appalling that you would have such a flippant attitude about Japan having their own resources to support the disaster. And even if they could support it, that obviously doesn't stop you from feeling compelled to help in some way. There are tangible ways to help, and there are plenty of problems in the world that can use assistance.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

thanks golden and korpsey

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too. I really feel terrible for these people. It's heartbreaking, terrifying and brutal.
    I had a nightmare about it last night. Really scary!!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast