Thread: LIIs-INTjs and reading manuals

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't typically pore over any manual for months; but with that qualification removed it sounds like something people in general do (i.e. erring on the side figuring things out yourself and not letting the manual confuse you).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This had ended badly several times.
    If it goes wrong once for ever five times it goes right, you've probably already made the favorable time investment.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C++ is potentially something you'll be using lots of times throughout a lifetime, so it's something I'd be more likely to read up on the details of than, say, a video recorder.

unfortunately it generally happens when it's my stuff he's meddling with.
    When configuring another person's "stuff", tiny differences in habits turn into major obstacles and undermine the assumptions that enable you to configure things quickly in your own domain. I think it's pretty common for people to underestimate the difficulty of the task, regardless what type they are.

I'm personally reluctant to ask people for help on such things for this reason. They always end up being confused by something I do "different".

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIIs are reading manuals.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    LIIs are reading manuals.
    truth

I would be so good at writing manuals, omg.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who needs manuals, when we have google.
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    If it helps, they were more like C++ textbooks.
    C++ itself isn't really a well design language that you could figure out using 'common sense'. It has so many gotchas that it's justifiable to read it while trying to program. The question is: why isn't he using .NET/Java?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something that has deep, interesting logic to it - yes.

Something that is as dry and voluminous as a telephone book I leave to someone else...
    Last edited by jason_m; 06-06-2019 at 09:00 PM.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't outright ignore a manual, but I like to figure out how to do things on my own. If I am really really not familiar, then I will turn to a manual or look up a how to article. I want to do it right, but I'm not one to get caught up on little details. Though I have language processing issues and I may end up misunderstanding and screwing something up unintentionally
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read manuals either for fun or if I have to. In most cases I don't need a manual to understand how a technical device works and how to handle it.
    There are two exceptions of course.
    The device is counter-intuitive to use or is very complicated.

And for things like programming-languages... you simply need to to know the syntax first... which you can't guess for sure.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can write 4 step manual for dealing with manuals:
    1. Find it online
    2. CTRL+F
    3. Insert keyword
    4. Press Enter
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    I can write 4 step manual for dealing with manuals:
    1. Find it online
    2. CTRL+F
    3. Insert keyword
    4. Press Enter
    Or 6 steps... depends on the functional state of your device you use for information retrieval.

-1. Start computer
    0. Open web-browser

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I use manuals when I don't know how to do something, and don't when I do. That's about as complicated as it gets.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Men don't read manuals.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    C++ itself isn't really a well design language that you could figure out using 'common sense'. It has so many gotchas that it's justifiable to read it while trying to program. The question is: why isn't he using .NET/Java?
    Don’t use .NET, but isn’t it difficult to use on any platform that’s not Windows? And Java can’t do all C++ can. Too abstracted. Can’t manage memory directly, no pointers, and there’s the syntax which is annoyingly verbose. But I started with C, so I’m biased.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Java and C# suck.

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with one of the earlier responses. It tends to be the Te egos who spend hours reading manuals for all their technical details. Te ignoring types tend not to be bothered with such details unless they have to.
    ----- FarDraft, 2020

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FarDraft View Post
    I agree with one of the earlier responses. It tends to be the Te egos who spend hours reading manuals for all their technical details. Te ignoring types tend not to be bothered with such details unless they have to.
    I, being a Te-ego type, tend to have one of two approaches to manuals. If they are short and the subject matter is simple, I will quickly flip through the pages, scanning for major warnings, and then will discard the manual.

If the manual covers a topic which I know nothing about, I will once again skim the table of contents, look for warnings, and will thoroughly read any sections that pertain to whatever it is I'm trying to do. Then I keep the manual around.

In cases where I really know nothing about the topic and I don't want to devote any brain space to learning it, I will call the help desk and ask a human for specific instructions. Immediate problem solved, move on to the next problem.

The very best manual I've ever read was the Jaguar XKE Service manual. It was a nearly perfect blend of facts, procedures, operation, and reasons for why things are the way they are. It even had a section on tuning the car for racing. Second best but much farther on down the comprehensible line are the Mercedes Service manuals. They are divided into sometimes arbitrary sections of the car and describe only the assembly/disassembly procedures. Nothing on design intent, nothing on operation. "We know best for you. Just follow directions." A more LSE manual I have never seen.
    Worst by far are the Honda User Manuals. "Here is a picture of the instrument panel with labels." Detailed descriptions of functions and operation are scattered about the manual under the Name of the Day. Odometer Reset button is called Maintenance Minder, and the reset operation is in some obscure other section, like the one describing the oil change intervals. The organization of the information is a perfect example of ADD.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 06-03-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Most Ijs don't like following someone else's rationalization; they prefer to research subjects and come up with their own processes. Therefore, instruction manuals aren't usually their first choice unless they're really inept and have accepted that fact. If competent, the exploded-view drawing is likely the only thing ever pondered, if even that. The same thing for Eps but to a lesser extent.......

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Most Ijs don't like following someone else's rationalization; they prefer to research subjects and come up with their own processes. Therefore, instruction manuals aren't usually their first choice unless they're really inept and have accepted that fact. If competent, the exploded-view drawing is likely the only thing ever pondered, if even that. The same thing for Eps but to a lesser extent.......

a.k.a. I/O
    They can make exploded view diagrams in their heads. Or something that serves a similar purpose.