Thread: What are the Quadra Values of your City or Town?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are the Quadra Values of your City or Town?

Hi everyone!

My friend and I were talking about this the other day--and then I started to wonder if anyone else had noticed anything similar re: their city or town....

Recently, I moved from New Haven, Connecticut--a port city w/ 130k people that seemed to have, in general, Beta/Gamma values. Betas and Gammas had a lot of influence over the city's street and civic life. (Se was highly valued.) Even though New Haven had a high crime rate, and looked kinda run-down, I felt at home there--understood and valued.

Now I live in Northampton, Massachusetts--and it's a lot different. The Northampton-Amherst, Mass area is a huge college town (Univ. of Massachusetts; Amherst College; Smith College; Mount Holyoke College, and Hampshire College are all within 10 miles of each other, scattered across these two small cities... When school's out, the population is 70k; when it's in, it's 110k or so!)

NoHo-Amherst is aesthetically beautiful compared with New Haven, (it looks cared for in an Si way,) and there are tons of good restaurants.

That said, it seems to me that it's almost entirely Alpha up here. (I've never heard so many conversations about sustainable growth! Or seen so many posters for hipster/indie bands! Or so often couldn't find a seat in a coffee shop.)

The vibe up in these cities is just really different.

Which leads to my questions: Do you think that certain parts of the country, or certain cities, attract different Socionics Quadras?

If yes, do you have any guesses as to why?

Thanks for reading everyone

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Málaga, Spain

City center and East: Gamma rational
    Wild West:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1laga
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Antonio, TX (thereabouts)

Very I guess.

My dad says, "big city, small mind". One of the biggest cities in America, but it doesn't have much to promote about itself. Not much going on artwise, economy-wise, technology-wise. They have the San Antonio Spurs. That's about it. There's like 5 military bases here, and a lot of people in the military end up staying.. So that contributes to a sort of Delta "retiree" stereotype. People are generally friendly though and OK. There aren't very many central areas or places people do things together with. No hubs or college section where there's a lot of clubs or partying. There's a lot of suburbs and highways. You gotta get up close to find the human side of things and see where the fun is. Where a lot of people are in tight knit groups, kind of workaholics, and have get togethers and barbecues on Sundays. It's no place for a dreamer though. Sometimes I feel like that Depp character, Gilbert Grape. Sometimes the local government or some group has it in mind to try to kickstart new things.. like film festivals or even plans to have a "skyline" (for a big city, it doesn't have that either). I never see go anywhere though. Why the hell do I stay? No idea.. or, long story.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    Which leads to my questions: Do you think that certain parts of the country, or certain cities, attract different Socionics Quadras?

Thanks for reading everyone
    Of course - college towns are naturally going to create an Alpha vibe because they are centers of learning that are largely sheltered from the economic climate. On the other hand places like NYC attract business and success-oriented types. It's just a natural way for people with similar interests and priorities to meet and interact.

Creepy-male

Perth, I think. It's just the practical reality of our city being placed really, really poorly for supporting life. There's consistent encouragement from the government to try and live more efficiently and economically.

The whole lack of people is probably what gives it such a relaxed feel.

I would be in Canberra, which I think is possibly LII, but I've kind of settled comfortably here in Perth. I was definitely repulsed from Sydney, which I think is an LIE city.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a college town. Yes, I'd say Alpha.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spend most of my time in 3 cities:
    Treviso (hometown) is IJ-Se (extreme Se subtype), in a stereotypical fashion. People love gossiping, are known for their fixation for expensive clothing, are really hard-working and sporty, and hate anything theorethical or abstract. Oh yeah, they (we, I guess) also love going to clubs.
    Venice is probably more - people are friendly, manic, don't care about clothing / being well dressed, culture is considered extremely important (literarly culture rather than scientific), and there's a certain tendency towards "unfair" business dealings (probably coming from its long history as a mediterranean commercial hub)
    Belluno (my gf's hometown) is stereotypically ENTj-Te: every young male dreams of becoming an engineer and building a new mastodontic dam, or becoming a famous montain climber; scientific culture is considered extremely important, start-ups are generally based on innovative technologies; people are very open and friendly, but rather blunt/rude.
    Last edited by FDG; 02-27-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post

The vibe up in these cities is just really different.
    Do you think that certain parts of the country, or certain cities, attract different Socionics Quadras? ...
    Paul Graham has some thoughts relevant to this: http://paulgraham.com/cities.html

I see a clear distincion btw "conform or be cast out" corporate cities like Houston and like I imagine Phoenix to be of the on one hand and more "creative" places like the SF bay area on the other. Also hostile and hurried places like Boston (ESj?) vs more friendly places. Not sure how it plays out in socionics terms though.

Also, big cities seem to attract different kinds of people from small towns - people who are more "extreme" in one way or another.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orinda, CA
    Probably , it's a really sleepy town with a lot of pretty scenery but nothing to do.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nyc is too diverse to have a type, but if it had a type/quadra, it would be beta. Probably beta rational. The two representatives types of nyc are the LSIs who put their heads down and fight hard to run the city, and the big splashy lavish EIEs who plan their parties, entertain them, and give them a reward for all their hard work, something to work for. But then there are also sorts of enclaves and neighborhoods that are alpha, delta, gamma, beta, epsilon, arabic alphabet, cyrric, you name it.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando, Florida seems mostly Beta and Gamma to me.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... is it city VI time?!

http://tinyurl.com/5vq7xm9

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure, since moving out of the city I'd say it's probably more on the Ne/Si side here, possibly Delta-ish. Very close community orientated as a whole
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    ... is it city VI time?!

http://tinyurl.com/5vq7xm9
    +

---

Off-topic: Sizzler's is +

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Berlin, Prenzlauer Berg - Delta
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Louisville - little of everything but delta and alpha mostly. Lots of hunting, fishing, etc plus whatever the evolution of the hipster thing is now.. openness, seems like.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lots of redneck confederate flag-waving nationalist where I live, so beta maybe.

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYC is a Gamma/Beta in Gamma stronghold, valued +/- Se all the way. And Stockholm is Delta af.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An American friend from this forum once visited me here in the capital city Helsinki in Finland. He said it seems Beta. I agree. Beta ST. Although some might say Delta.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've often read Finland is a country of choice for those who are INFP in MBTI so that's interesting. I think I live in a mix of a gamma/alpha city :/

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingoffclouds View Post
    I've often read Finland is a country of choice for those who are INFP in MBTI so that's interesting.
    Really? Do you remember why? I don't understand why IEIs would like Finland. I think they'd be happier in Russia.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember why, I'm sorry. They may have been speaking more at delta and EII as INFP's are often EII, I think even slightly more often than IEI. Does delta and EII seem more appropriate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Really? Do you remember why? I don't understand why IEIs would like Finland. I think they'd be happier in Russia.

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I'm going to visit Russia after delaying it for a long time, and I'm pretty excited about it. The thing that I've noticed is that it has a lot of subcultures and it's rich in that sort of stuff-- it also has what I think is the BIGGEST generation gap in any country in the world. Seriously, Russia puts the "ok boomer" joke to shame.
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector