Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the delta NFs and foul language

TIM
    Ne-EII 5w4 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only swear when really nervous, anxious or angry. But 99% of the time its when Im angry, which about 2% of my existence.

Magical girl (◠‿・)—☆ ShiningLunette's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really dislike foul language. I think it's rude and disrespectful and can come across unnecessarily aggressive.
    Be the reason someone believes in the goodness of people.

TIM
    EII sp/so 4w5
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never curse around adults for some reason I just can’t, besides my mother. My enfp friend curses more than me but she is also a 7 and more outspoken. I don’t know if beta nfs curse more because of their fe, but more of the people who have said don’t curse have been alpha sfs. I think gamma and beta se users like to curse a lot. I’ll curse by myself if I get irritated if I can’t do something ect.,

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it when my IEE-fi friend swears, especially if she’s being mean about someone. It’s quite rare but it’s cool, it reminds me that she understands how annoyed I get at people. And that she genuinely is upset about stuff.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

generally:
    they're the least likely to use it because of sensitivity to the emotional comfort of others (Fi) and keen perception of the context and dynamics of a situation (Ne) - but in the right milieu they can like everyone else. foul language is a Fe thing
    especially EII avoid it because of shyness and stronger aversion to conflict

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a LOT of Delta NFs who move to Japan as English teachers, and I have noticed a very strong tendency of them to police conversations. I'm good friends with a lot of them, but I do find the policing quite annoying and stressful. Like coarse conversations don't make me uncomfortable, but I'll start to feel uncomfortable by proxy because I know it's bothering them and then I feel like I have to reign in the conversation (killing the fun atmosphere imo). When we're all at the office (which really isn't that frequently actually), there's me (IEI), an EII girl, an LII(?) guy, and an ExE guy. The EII girl is the most insistent BY FAR that we maintain a "professional" atmosphere. The LII(maybe, I'm still confused about his type) and I only care that we aren't bothering anyone else in the office, and the ExE guy is the most uninhibited and tends to clash the hardest with the EII girl. When the EII girl isn't there our conversations are just absolute trash and full of "offensive" jokes. I was on a car trip with them and an SEE and SLE and the whole trip's conversations sounded barely better than a 4chan board. Personally I find that environment way more preferable to maintaining some kind of dead "professional" atmosphere (though I'm very adept at doing that when I need to, especially in front of bosses/supervisors), but the Delta NFs in my opinion are almost always bothered by the roughness of the conversation. Delta NF guys aren't quite as sensitive as Delta NF ladies in my experience, but even they tend to be quite sensitive to the "pleasantness" of the conversation (though interestingly they are less proactive at steering it in a more polite direction than Delta NF ladies seem to be)
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More directly on topic, the Delta NFs don't seem to be against swearing in the general sense so much as they are against specific kinds of swearing. Most often I hear them express distaste for "disparaging" swear words. Namely:
    "bitch," "whore," "cunt," etc.

Personally I don't swear that often just because my family was REALLY strict about it, but it's never bothered me, and I enjoy swearing to embellish a story or joke that I'm telling. I don't swear so much when I stub my toe for example because the instinct of self-censorship was so thoroughly ingrained in me by my family that it just doesn't come that naturally. Maybe I'm just not stubbing it hard enough though
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    EII-Fi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is funny, it gives me a visceral cringe reaction to hear a lot of it. i can develop "tolerance" but yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    More directly on topic, the Delta NFs don't seem to be against swearing in the general sense so much as they are against specific kinds of swearing. Most often I hear them express distaste for "disparaging" swear words. Namely:

you're right, it's the grosser words (such as the ones in spoiler) that bother me, they feel like fighting words and fighting isn't something i want to be doing often haha. but, i do tend to be more inviting of it when i agree with the judgments made!

i don't really ask that people don't do it for my sake though, b/c i think that would cut down on the emotional atmosphere of the group more than it would do anything else (and then they would just continue having fun when i left, such is the case there)
    and at the end of the day there just are horrible things we have to deal with as human beings... it's how it b

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In contrast to some of the other responses.. I don’t really mind language, and can actually swear quite a bit if I’m not at risk of offending others (often to others’ surprise). However, I generally don’t use it in a way that forces my emotional state onto others; rather, it seems to subconsciously stem from a sense of camaraderie, and a desire to bond and share a comfortable atmosphere with others. As such, even though I do swear, it’s generally in a casual manner--'inoffensively offensive,' perhaps.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pingas

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123