Thread: Unrealistic expectations and disappointments for INFjs/ENFps

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unrealistic expectations and disappointments for INFjs/ENFps

Lately I've been working on removing my expectations of people/situations, which is something that until now I hadn't seriously considered doing. I've noticed how being disappointed and upset at things is a sign of me expecting things that weren't realistic and that I really didn't have control over... All this is actually quite enlightening and liberating for me, because I've always expected things that I thought were for the "better" of someone or myself, when it might have just been done out of wanting to have control. Accepting that I really don't have control over the outcome of any situation now or in the future is almost against my nature, yet like I said, it's actually liberating now that I've been gradually letting the expectations go. I wonder if this is something that other Delta NFs or just plain anybody has problems with. I think my issue with this type of life philosophy is that I thought that it automatically means that I expect less from someone/something, when the latter really isn't removing an expectation, but replacing it with a negative one. Expecting nothing from somebody might be one of the most productive things you can do to have a healthy relationship.

My intention of posting it here is that NFs in Delta quadra might be more focused to determine all of the possibilities of why something isn't going their way, for example, without really considering if it actually MATTERS for whatever reason something happened or didn't happen. Also, disregarding an emotional bond with anybody in order to consider other perceptions of a situation almost seems like a taboo thing for me to be doing... All of this is almost foreign to me and "scary," like I'm somehow truly understanding a concept that until now I didn't realize existed... Something not changing to the way I wanted and it being OK. Also being OK with things not developing the way I had envisioned/wanted them and not getting disappointed, because I didn't EXPECT anything and yet I can still have goals that will or will not happen due to reasons out of my control... Good stuff.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this might be more of an EII than IEE thing. It sound rational.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    I think this might be more of an EII than IEE thing. It sound rational.
    I see. What parts strike you as rational?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having expectations of how things should go. See how what you said compares to the first part of this: http://socionics.us/theory/rat_irr.shtml Maybe I'm not reading it right, it could be you're saying you aren't as rational as you felt you were earlier, or it isn't as important to you.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Having expectations of how things should go. See how what you said compares to the first part of this: http://socionics.us/theory/rat_irr.shtml Maybe I'm not reading it right, it could be you're saying you aren't as rational as you felt you were earlier, or it isn't as important to you.
    Yes, I do expect things to turn out a certain way before they start and when something does start I can picture the end; when the end, which might actually be a plan, doesn't go my way, I get disappointed. I have seen the same reaction from my LSE cousin.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see how the rational column applies more to me. However, what I'm saying is not really that I'm becoming less rational, but that I've realized that unrealistic expectations are just not good for sustaining a happy lifestyle. Now I've been seeing how everyone does it in his/her own way, be it that they expect to be married at some point or maybe that they need a better job to be happy, etc, when these types of expectations aren't necessarily going to make you "happier." It doesn't seem to open yourself to other ways of being happy that are beyond what you know at that particular time. Maybe changing your attitude towards your current situation is the key to being happy with your life, and pursuing goals without really expecting that they will or will not happen because that's ultimately out of your control. That's more or less what I'm getting at.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Years ago I was presented with the concept of a sideways V. Or, perhaps, a <. Anyway, it was a graphic that I feel too lazy to replicate in PS so you'll have to imagine it from my description.

The bottom line is labeled "reality"; the top line is labeled "expectations"; and the area between the two is called "pain" (or something similarly uncomfortable, maybe "discomfort").

Basically, the idea is that the further your expectations differ from reality the more pain you'll feel. So the idea is that you need to not build up lots of expectations and if you're feeling conflict or discomfort with a situation that you should check to see if it's because your expectations need adjustment.

I personally find what you're describing, Lobo, to be applicable to me. At least in terms of expecting certain things and then feeling great disappointment when it doesn't happen. And it is something I have consciously tried to look at and deal with at times. Part of my problem is it's so easy to imagine everything. And it's especially easy to build up and bask in the attractive portions of imagination, so much so that it becomes an (almost unconscious) expectation.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's similar to a Buddhist idea that desire is the root of suffering. It isn't about sexual desire, just the idea of desiring for things to be different than they are.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    This kind of thinking often seems cynical to people, but in my opinion that's neither an accurate nor productive reaction.

The fact is, when you lower your expectations, you tend to become more independent and responsible as a result. You are less of a victim because now you're not at the whims of the world, and for that reason, your increased resiliance makes you seem that much more capable. People will afford you more respect, and they will appreciate how low maintainance you are.

Additionally, you come to the realization that lowering your expectations of someone (or something) doesn't require that you lower your opinion or respect of them. In fact, by your opinion can increase because your perception of them is not tainted by your own emotional baggage.

...At least, these have been my discoveries in my personal evolution.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Years ago I was presented with the concept of a sideways V. Or, perhaps, a <. Anyway, it was a graphic that I feel too lazy to replicate in PS so you'll have to imagine it from my description.

The bottom line is labeled "reality"; the top line is labeled "expectations"; and the area between the two is called "pain" (or something similarly uncomfortable, maybe "discomfort").

Basically, the idea is that the further your expectations differ from reality the more pain you'll feel. So the idea is that you need to not build up lots of expectations and if you're feeling conflict or discomfort with a situation that you should check to see if it's because your expectations need adjustment.

I personally find what you're describing, Lobo, to be applicable to me. At least in terms of expecting certain things and then feeling great disappointment when it doesn't happen. And it is something I have consciously tried to look at and deal with at times. Part of my problem is it's so easy to imagine everything. And it's especially easy to build up and bask in the attractive portions of imagination, so much so that it becomes an (almost unconscious) expectation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    That's similar to a Buddhist idea that desire is the root of suffering. It isn't about sexual desire, just the idea of desiring for things to be different than they are.
    Yup, I was thinking about this today actually. The more expectations, the more potential pain.

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    This kind of thinking often seems cynical to people, but in my opinion that's neither an accurate nor productive reaction.

The fact is, when you lower your expectations, you tend to become more independent and responsible as a result. You are less of a victim because now you're not at the whims of the world, and for that reason, your increased resiliance makes you seem that much more capable. People will afford you more respect, and they will appreciate how low maintainance you are.

Additionally, you come to the realization that lowering your expectations of someone (or something) doesn't require that you lower your opinion or respect of them. In fact, by your opinion can increase because your perception of them is not tainted by your own emotional baggage.

...At least, these have been my discoveries in my personal evolution.
    Exactly. I'm becoming very low maintenance and being open to understanding other people, without assuming that they can't surprise me in a positive way. It's a "peaceful place" to be.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HABIT 1

BE PROACTIVE
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, thank you, Parkster, that's pretty. The only change I'd make is to rotate the V slightly counter-clockwise so that "Reality" is parallel to the "low - high" legend.

To add a little more of my thoughts, I don't think it's so much lowering expectations as it is... lessening them, I guess. "Low expectations" makes me think of "oh, no, it's going to be horrible" negativity. Whereas simply removing expectations is more about just letting things happen as they will. Which is also different from planning, or preparing for contingencies.

An example might be if I'm going someplace I've never been before. An ideal approach for me might be to learn what I can about the place and do some envisioning, not to build up expectations about the experience (emotional attachments) but so as to think ahead about what I might need to prepare for. So that whatever does come I'll be relatively prepared for, both practically and emotionally.

I like the idea of being able to remain internally steady despite external circumstances. Not passionless, but grounded and content.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lately I've been working on removing my expectations of people/situations, which is something that until now I hadn't seriously considered doing. I've noticed how being disappointed and upset at things is a sign of me expecting things that weren't realistic and that I really didn't have control over... All this is actually quite enlightening and liberating for me, because I've always expected things that I thought were for the "better" of someone or myself, when it might have just been done out of wanting to have control. Accepting that I really don't have control over the outcome of any situation now or in the future is almost against my nature, yet like I said, it's actually liberating now that I've been gradually letting the expectations go. I wonder if this is something that other Delta NFs or just plain anybody has problems with. I think my issue with this type of life philosophy is that I thought that it automatically means that I expect less from someone/something, when the latter really isn't removing an expectation, but replacing it with a negative one. Expecting nothing from somebody might be one of the most productive things you can do to have a healthy relationship.
    It is good to love people unconditionally, but you have to let go of your socionics first. It seems hard at first, but I am realizing that letting go of expectations does leave me with a sense of peace. Anybody can do this, as long as they stop using socionics.
    Last edited by Pulsar41; 01-25-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: wording

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_principle
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ok... Now I get what you were saying Minde better with the graph. Parkster "Graphster of Delta" lol. Hey, if you switch "expectations" with "posts" and "pain" with "gayness", that would be a graph of Ryu.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Parkster.

(By the way, is this or is this not a stereotypical example of Delta NF / Delta ST interaction? Delta NF tries to convey a formless idea (Ne), Delta ST turns it into concrete reality (Te+Si), and Delta NF gives some love (Fi). I know, that's terribly simplified and I'm probably just encouraging the propagation of horribly flawed stereotypes, but I think it's kind of funny. I wasn't even thinking about it like that until just now.)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ok... Now I get what you were saying Minde better with the graph. Parkster "Graphster of Delta" lol. Hey, if you switch "expectations" with "posts" and "pain" with "gayness", that would be a graph of Ryu.

Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post

. When I first read this, I forgot I had been the one starting this thread.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"No expectations, no disappointments." ~ Becker

6:30 - 9:00 = pure gold

Thank you, Parkster.
    You're welcome.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    lol this is awesome!!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Creepy-Snaps

Expecting nothing from somebody might be one of the most productive things you can do to have a healthy relationship.
    True. And I agree with lots of points made in this thread. But I'd like to point out one thing.

Don't lower expectations of yourself! Higher expectations are painful when they are of things outside your control. Other people, for example. You can't control other people. But what are some realistic expectations you can set for yourself? What can you do?

Setting goals and expectations of yourself can be very rewarding, once you reach them. Just make sure they're realistic, and work hard, and you'll be happier than having no expectations at all.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty flexible with what I expect from people. Nobody is perfect and life is full of disappointments. When it comes to major let downs, I'll admit I don't take them well. If it's a continual pattern of disappointment, that is when I distance myself. Expectations and reality can get blurred if I have a vision in my head, but other people seem to do everything to go against it. Not so much in a controlling way, but more everyone having conflicting views on the way that something should go. Either that or an outright backstabbing.

There are some people who won't meet expectations no matter what, and it's a difficult thing to accept. And on the flipside, we don't meet other people's expectations. Then again, when I'm in the position of letting people down, it's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. So I don't like doing that to other people, but it happens on a subconscious level.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All NF-types have been known to harbour overly idealistic expectations but INFjs are the least equipped to roll with the punches so on average, they may feel a gut-punch more than the other three types. However, the same depth of disappointment is experienced equally by all types. I would think that INFjs would be able to detach from most situations or plans enough to do a reassessment - to see where expectations need to be reduced to a more practical level. They usually have an excellent ability to see which way the wind is blowing (when they actually take the time to look). ENFps do too but because they give priority to looking and are often reticent to commit, opportunities for disappointment are usually much reduced; they seem to get more disappointed with themselves than with others or their situations......

a.k.a. I/O
    Last edited by Rebelondeck; 02-22-2020 at 06:16 PM.