Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If you play RPGs....

what are your strategies? It seems to me that playing styles should be at least connotated with type.

My strategy is to get enough healing items that I know I will last through anything. I intentionally spend time leveling until I am destroying the surrounding enemies without thinking. I don't actually enjoy the games themselves that much: they are merely gateways to the storylines and visual phenomena (graphic effects) that one otherwise doesn't have access to. :\

I play the game with the specific goal of uncovering the story. I apply the unusual precepts behind the story to the unusual intellectual problems that are styming me at the time. In this way I relate the experience of the game to my experience as a person and my own intellectual and personal growth.

I know that some people just say that "a game is a game", although I've never met an INTJ who feels that way. Gameplay styles--perhaps even gameplay preferences--must be related to type.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the INTj I was with had macros set for crafting, but he'd only have them running when he was at his computer (like when we were watching anime), so that way if anyone messaged him, he'd be there to answer. he also took a lot of requests, and then when people asked how much for the items he crafted, he'd tell them to pay him whatever they want, and it was usually more than what he'd have asked.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't need strategy to play an RPG.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    You don't need strategy to play an RPG.
    But there is style. I should have said style, sorry.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to strategy to play an RPG such as Final Fantasy Tactics.
    SEE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most RPGs.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If you play RPGs....

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    what are your strategies? It seems to me that playing styles should be at least connotated with type.

My strategy is to get enough healing items that I know I will last through anything. I intentionally spend time leveling until I am destroying the surrounding enemies without thinking. I don't actually enjoy the games themselves that much: they are merely gateways to the storylines and visual phenomena (graphic effects) that one otherwise doesn't have access to. :\

I play the game with the specific goal of uncovering the story. I apply the unusual precepts behind the story to the unusual intellectual problems that are styming me at the time. In this way I relate the experience of the game to my experience as a person and my own intellectual and personal growth.

I know that some people just say that "a game is a game", although I've never met an INTJ who feels that way. Gameplay styles--perhaps even gameplay preferences--must be related to type.

Yeah, I'm similar.

And I'm really, really stingy when it comes to using potions or elixers or health items. I almost never use items.

I don't play video games much anmore, though. Perhaps I shohuld. Perhaps it would be a good release for me.....
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never used a magic character.
    asd

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Would World or Warcraft be a RPG?

If so...I save things. Stock up on healing things. And I spend a good amount of time trying to figure out the most efficient way of leveling through the n00bie zones. The most efficient way of spending and buying and learning new skills, and when to do it. Thats where most of my thought goes.

As for fighting things, I try to use the least amount of end every time, which sometimes makes me kill things slower and/or die faster. =/ Maybe I should change that.

And for gear, ....well basically I try to make everything efficient.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPG is a tool to make me feel powerful. I choose the most powerful character class, I equip her (sometimes him) as well as I can and then I go hunting for loot. The aim is to be so powerful that I can kill even the worst monsters in the game. The story is just a background, but often gives me the hero-feeling, so I always finish the game.

I do as many sidequests as I can too, because I get EXP, which makes me even more powerful.

And as for the strategy... I'll be pretty powerful pretty quick, so I can just kill evil monsters and take their loot.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else play MUD's?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeia
    Anyone else play MUD's?
    The INTp I live with still plays them... I never tried them myself.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i played muds circa 1996 or so...they were the shit. that's when i got addicted, never played muds or mmorpgs. now i started back in january, playing dnd online. good game...

my estj friend just tries to get all the cool items. i like to get levels. thats about all the strategy i have.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Creepy-pokeball

Druids ftw. Crafting is for masochists.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my NetHack campaigns end in a YASD*. It does not take much strategy (or tactics) to achieve that.

*Yet Another Stupid Death

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been tempted to join another MMORPG (I had played Neverwinter Nights for a while). I had my eye set on Guild Wars, but have stayed my hand at present.

They can be quite addicting, but the thing is... I don't really know that it is worth it. It can be a nice way to get away from reality, but I just inevitably end up making characters that take on weighty responsibilities in the imaginary world as well...which they often cannot fulfill because of real responsibilities in real life. Therefore, I've concluded that the whole concept is just messed up and am warry of it.

I have enough psychosis as it is, thank you very much!

Still, for some reason I always preferred the Ranger class over the Wizard (the Wizard being the more stereotypical INTj). I guess I don't necessarily want to continue being myself in a game, so I think generally people may not play the same as their type.

Isn't the point to get away from yourself for a while?
    Apollonian
    INTj
    "How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.” - Soren Kierkegaard
    “Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect; a haphazardly selective memory; a set of preconceptions and assumptions so numerous that I can never examine more than a minority of them - never becoming conscious of them all. How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?” - C. S. Lewis (INTJ)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played rose on-line for about 3 or 4 months, and got up to level 42 with a dealer, which is a crafter character. I tried playing non-dealer characters, but I thought it sucked ass considering that I was use to having atleast a million in game money in assest or credits. Plus, I would rather make my own equipment from what I found than pay over-inflated prices for shitty items I can get for cheaper as a dealer.

http://www.roseonlinegame.com/

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian
    I've been tempted to join another MMORPG (I had played Neverwinter Nights for a while). I had my eye set on Guild Wars, but have stayed my hand at present.

They can be quite addicting, but the thing is... I don't really know that it is worth it. It can be a nice way to get away from reality, but I just inevitably end up making characters that take on weighty responsibilities in the imaginary world as well...which they often cannot fulfill because of real responsibilities in real life. Therefore, I've concluded that the whole concept is just messed up and am warry of it.

I have enough psychosis as it is, thank you very much!

Still, for some reason I always preferred the Ranger class over the Wizard (the Wizard being the more stereotypical INTj). I guess I don't necessarily want to continue being myself in a game, so I think generally people may not play the same as their type.

Isn't the point to get away from yourself for a while?
    I understand some of how you feel.

I tend to choose characters that aren't supposed to be weighed down with responsiblities, who have a blaze` attitude towards whatever the main story is. And while I'm pretty good about not caring about the politics of the world my character is in, I still find myself defending and taking care of the underdog/downtrodden/helpless. No matter how hard I try, I always wind up playing myself. It's when the game begins to bore me that I realize that I had slipped into my mode.

Because of this tendency, I find myself avoiding RPGs, as much as I like them. I have to say though, that I loved Bethesda's Daggerfall not for it's story/world, but for the fact that any character type I played could only improve/advance if I used the actual skills I designed them for. Bethesda's Morrowind, however, couldn't get me interested enough in the world to play it. I'm not sure if I'll attempt Oblivion.

I love games that aren't hack and slash by nature. My magic skills are generally limited to helping with sneaking in and avoiding fighting as much as possible. I prefer backstabbing not because of the lack of honour, but because of the less chance of getting my ass killed. My nerves can't handle fighting scenes. (RPGs are hazardous to my health..hehehe)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMORPGs steal your life and try to steal your soul
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing Oblivion and I've planned things in such a way that I can develop my skills and max my corresponding attributes (+5 bonuses) while adventuring. I find it boring to repeatedly do something just to get an increase in skill. And you miss on the good loot you can get while exploring Half the fun in RPG's for me is getting powerful magical items you find through adventuring.

Oh, and I ALWAYS play good characters in RPG's. In D&D I go for either Lawful Good (to play a Paladin) or Chaotic Good (to play any other, usually warrior/mage. I don't like thiefs). I like to be the hero that will help other people survive in the unfair world they're in.
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eidos
    I've been playing Oblivion and I've planned things in such a way that I can develop my skills and max my corresponding attributes (+5 bonuses) while adventuring. I find it boring to repeatedly do something just to get an increase in skill. And you miss on the good loot you can get while exploring Half the fun in RPG's for me is getting powerful magical items you find through adventuring.

Oh, and I ALWAYS play good characters in RPG's. In D&D I go for either Lawful Good (to play a Paladin) or Chaotic Good (to play any other, usually warrior/mage. I don't like thiefs). I like to be the hero that will help other people survive in the unfair world they're in.
    hehehe... I always think about playing the good character, but I'll end up doing the "good" quests with the mindset, "Ok, I'll help you, you incompetent whining jackass, you WUSS! At least I get EXP! And I'll grow POWERFUL AND STORNG!!! Muahahahaaaaa..."
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    MMORPGs steal your life and try to steal your soul
    If you let it. I find them relaxing. It helps relax the mind from the masses of needless info we call modern life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    It helps relax the mind from the masses of needless info we call modern life.
    Or rather postmodern life. I think this generation is dealing with a whole different dilemma than our modern predecessors. With computers, television, video games, and most of all internet, the constant flow of mass-media-mass-information is messing with our brains until we can't distinguish from fact and fiction, reality and reality-TV, truth and obsurdity.

Needless info is right. *Sigh* I wish I could turn it off, but it is imbued within our culture now.
    Apollonian
    INTj
    "How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.” - Soren Kierkegaard
    “Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect; a haphazardly selective memory; a set of preconceptions and assumptions so numerous that I can never examine more than a minority of them - never becoming conscious of them all. How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?” - C. S. Lewis (INTJ)

I used to play online and paper RPGs for a few years. I always played whatever gave me the most bonuses and least penalties in terms of what I actually thought were going to be used more frequently and to more effect in practice.

I also took special care to coalesce my character's strengths rather than have them compete against eachother. For example, if I had strong melee fighting ability and spell abilities, I would concentrate my spell strength in melee augmentation and healing/defense spells, both of which would tactically coalesce with strong melee strength. But I stay away from concentrating my spell strength in directly offensive spells, because that would compete with my melee ability, since in general, at each time juncture you can either cast a spell or hit with your weapon, but not both. In the example, I am assuming your strengths are limited, and you can only concentrate in so much--so taking a strength in one area leaves you weaker some place else.

RPGs were fun--I learned alot about strategy and allocation from playing them.
    Sticking to your beliefs through thick and thin is easy. All it takes is the ability to twist reality.

There are two kinds of people--those that recognize and co-opt their needs and instincts, and those that fight them.

Fast peace means cheap war. Cheap war means more war.

ESTP / ESTp

Quote Originally Posted by Kraus
    Aww yeah! And I'll trade you my level 72 Jizzdos for your level 71 Fuckbird!

Sounds like a sexy deal, Luigi. :wink: Although as Mario myself, I strongly object to these randomly placed swinging phalluses in all of my courses. It's all from the works of Bowser and his dirty, filthy slaves.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorks.
    (Coming from an INTp, this is indeed, a very bad thing.)