Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Locus of Control

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    So I'm the most introverted person here?
    You can be an introvert or self-conscious extrovert ... do not you guys read up?

Higher scores do point towards introversion and lower scores extroversion, but not always ... the age of a person and their experiences in life is also a factor in it, but not completely. It still coorelates to a certain degree.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I should probably mention that 'samskara' in concept may have had more to do with influencing Jungian typology than most, people who have a specific personality type and tendencies based on the experiences of a past life. Jung may have been attempting to make a system that explained the law of karma fully as the consequences of good and bad actions, and how to maximize a persons ability to reach enlightenment.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.deekaypages.com/samskara/default.htm

Samskara
    'Samskara' is a Sanskrit word, which means to improve, to purify, to refine and to make perfect. In short, the process by which all impurities in man are removed and positive qualities are developed is known as Samskara. It may be called a sacrament rather than a religious rite or ceremony. The number and methods of Samskaras are discussed in the 'Gruhya Suthras'. Samskaras are popularly known to be 16 in number as in the word 'Shodasha Samskara.'

Garbhadana, Pumsavana, Seemanthonnayana, Jathakarma, Namakarana, Nishkramana, Annaprashana, Karna Vedhana, Choodakarma (Chowla), Upanayana, Mahanamni, Mahavratha, Upanishadvratha, Godana, Samavarthana and Vivaha - are the 16 Samskaras. Out of these, first eight sacraments are to remove impurities in man caused by the womb and the semen. The next seven rites are to acquire knowledge, these uplift the soul to the spiritual level also. The last one, Vivaha (wedding) or the marriage ceremony makes a man perfect by filling the lacking-portion.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.commsp.ee.ic.ac.uk/~panch...0Samskaras.pdf

This one is a good one. Note the phrase: "The variety of rites and rituals related to the samskaras help in the formation and development of personality."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the award for "going most off-topic in a thread" is awarded to.....

nevermind
    Remember to keep things simple and not any simpler like Einstein once said.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snowyc
    And the award for "going most off-topic in a thread" is awarded to.....

nevermind
    I am actually more on topic than most, just many do not know enough about the theories and beliefs to comment or even care to know enough for that matter unfortunatelly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true, i should have never made a correlation towards introversion/extroversion.

Locus of control seems to me to relate with an assertive--|--unassertive dichotomy towards others. In fact when it comes to a person's so-called "friends" influencing you, i find this quote quite relevant:
    • "It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends." - J. K. Rowling

From the friend who calls in excitement about his newly received *whatever* to the friend who instant messages you with news of his cooking achievement or the friend who checks up on your progress. It would seem to me that certain "friends" need to be put in their place otherwise I don't get a chance to live for myself.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew

Samskara
    'Samskara' is a Sanskrit word, which means to improve, to purify, to refine and to make perfect. In short, the process by which all impurities in man are removed and positive qualities are developed is known as Samskara. It may be called a sacrament rather than a religious rite or ceremony. The number and methods of Samskaras are discussed in the 'Gruhya Suthras'. Samskaras are popularly known to be 16 in number as in the word 'Shodasha Samskara.'

Garbhadana, Pumsavana, Seemanthonnayana, Jathakarma, Namakarana, Nishkramana, Annaprashana, Karna Vedhana, Choodakarma (Chowla), Upanayana, Mahanamni, Mahavratha, Upanishadvratha, Godana, Samavarthana and Vivaha - are the 16 Samskaras. Out of these, first eight sacraments are to remove impurities in man caused by the womb and the semen. The next seven rites are to acquire knowledge, these uplift the soul to the spiritual level also. The last one, Vivaha (wedding) or the marriage ceremony makes a man perfect by filling the lacking-portion.

The number 16 is 2^4. You're not going to connect all the things that contain that number to the 16 socionics types, right?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true, i should have never made a correlation towards introversion/extroversion.

locus of control seems to relate to an assertive--|--unassertive dichotomy towards others.
    No, it does correlate with introversion and extroversion in that it has to do with degrees of self-awareness, it seems to me just that locus of control is more like a measure of the kind of freedom one has over his or her life and extroversion and introversion is more of a measure of the degree.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG

Samskara

The number 16 is 2^4. You're not going to connect all the things that contain that number to the 16 socionics types, right?
    How many more of these hints to I have to hand out? Scroll down to Jung ...
    http://www.atributetohinduism.com/quotes61_80.htm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To quote from the novel Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand:
    • "I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." — John Galt

Introspection in the sense of looking within for the answers to life's problems would seem to correlate with the notion that an internal locus approximates with "being one's own boss" which I don't wish to generalise to introverted types since we should discuss the likelihood of this attitude in each of the 16 types.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samskara

Jung in Psychological Types examines Indian Philosophy from a psychological perspective in glowing terms. His theories have some intuitively and aesthetically resonant qualities. Simple but precise and partially derived from Indian Thought:

I've cut the BS that is written after this, that partially is all that was needed to refute your position.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• "I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." — John Galt

Introspection in the sense of looking within for the answer to life's problems would seem to correlate with the notion that an internal locus approximates with "being one's own boss" which I don't wish to generalise to introverted types since we should discuss the likelihood of this attitude in each of the 16 types.
    "Being one's own boss" is a deceptive definition, because it is ignoring the fact that chief characteristic of someone with a inner locus of control has a natural awareness of right and wrong, and maximization of a persons ability to do natural right and naturally avoid the wrong. This also requires an ability towards high self-control and reservation towards those who promote bad karma, and will seek good karma. Someone with a high locus of control may typically spend his or her time following "crowds" of people who often tend to encourage bad karma, and have a harder time finding enlightenment.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samskara

Jung in Psychological Types examines Indian Philosophy from a psychological perspective in glowing terms. His theories have some intuitively and aesthetically resonant qualities. Simple but precise and partially derived from Indian Thought:

I've cut the BS that is written after this, that partially is all that was needed to refute your position.
    A disability to see things from the point of view of others and to misunderstand the importance of a proper understanding of the philosophy behing philosophy is not a refutation, it is something else and not a very good something for that cause.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introspection in the sense of looking within for the answer to life's problems would seem to correlate with the notion that an internal locus approximates with "being one's own boss" which I don't wish to generalise to introverted types since we should discuss the likelihood of this attitude in each of the 16 types.
    "Being one's own boss" is a deceptive definition, because it is ignoring the fact that chief characteristic of someone with a inner locus of control has a natural awareness of right and wrong
    Non sequitur.

and maximization of a persons ability to do natural right and naturally avoid the wrong
    As above. You're not justifying the claim.

This also requires an ability towards high self-control and reservation towards those who promote bad karma, and will seek good karma. Someone with a high locus of control may typically spend his or her time following "crowds" of people who often tend to encourage bad karma, and have a harder time finding enlightenment.
    How does this correlate with E or I is still totally unclear.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samskara

A disability to see things from the point of view of others and to misunderstand the importance of a proper understanding of the philosophy behing philosophy is not a refutation, it is something else and not a very good something for that cause.
    The 16 types that stem from coupling the Jung's descriptions of functions are not particularly and significantly related with the 16 samskara. That's all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Being one's own boss" is a deceptive definition, because it is ignoring the fact that chief characteristic of someone with a inner locus of control has a natural awareness of right and wrong
    Non sequitur.

and maximization of a persons ability to do natural right and naturally avoid the wrong

This also requires an ability towards high self-control and reservation towards those who promote bad karma, and will seek good karma. Someone with a high locus of control may typically spend his or her time following "crowds" of people who often tend to encourage bad karma, and have a harder time finding enlightenment.
    It is hard to understand from someone who comes from a Western viewpoint that in Eastern tradition and Culture it is Introversion that is prized above Extroversion, In Western culture it is flipped in that it is Extroversion that is prized over Introversion. This has to do with Eastern societies tending to be moral ones and Western societies tending to be amoral ones.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non sequitur.

It is hard to understand from someone who comes from a Western viewpoint that in Eastern tradition and Culture it is Introversion that is prized above Extroversion, In Western culture it is flipped it is Extroversion that is prized over Introversion. This has to do with Eastern societies tending to be moral ones and Western societies tending to be amoral ones.
    Again, this doesn't explain ANYTHING! And you're adding value judgments, that make the whole thing even more unclear. You mean that E is less moral? It could be, but why?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 16 types that stem from coupling the Jung's descriptions of functions are not particularly and significantly related with the 16 samskara. That's all.
    Good ... glad you've finally come to a conclusion that is neither right or wrong.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non sequitur.

It is hard to understand from someone who comes from a Western viewpoint that in Eastern tradition and Culture it is Introversion that is prized above Extroversion, In Western culture it is flipped it is Extroversion that is prized over Introversion. This has to do with Eastern societies tending to be moral ones and Western societies tending to be amoral ones.
    Again, this doesn't explain ANYTHING! And you're adding value judgments, that make the whole thing even more unclear. You mean that E is less moral? It could be, but why?
    It explains everything, you just don't get it is all ... I'd continue, but the liklihood is that you'd just reply with more argumentation and continue to miss points detremental to understanding the principle.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that this helps any, but, mcnew...I couldn't even figure out what you were attempting to support.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Not that this helps any, but, mcnew...I couldn't even figure out what you were attempting to support.
    I am not really supporting anything, just explaining where everything came from; the problem is that not everyone knows enough about Eastern and Western philosophy to follow and others like FDG misunderstand and respond with weird out-of-place arguments like they are trying to refute some invisible enemy or something.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyhow, I wasn't saying that extroversion is amoral, I was saying western societies are typically amoral and value extroverted tendencies over introverted ones. Eastern societies are typically moral and value introverted tendencies over extroverted ones.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95!
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12