Thread: Any threads/sites in particular I should read to learn socionics?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any threads/sites in particular I should read to learn socionics?

Is the 'useful socionics links' thread up to date? Is there a general consensus on the information within (or socionics in general), or is it fragmented? Since the thread is locked, I figured there could be dissent about whether some of those links are indeed useful.

Also I assume people who have been around the theory for a few years and have used it in their lives would know a bit better than I what's accurate and what isn't. I merely seek to shortcut the process.

Creepy-male

Socionics in the West has excellent theory pages.
    Main Page - WSWiki has excellent type descriptions

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hint: After learning just the basics from theory, try to learn as much as you can in real life. When you meet people, observe them and try to spot the similarities. Be aware of your feelings.
    towards them. This way you'll learn everything from your perspective, and know how to interpretate the theory.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Hint: After learning just the basics from theory, try to learn as much as you can in real life. When you meet people, observe them and try to spot the similarities. Be aware of your feelings.
    towards them. This way you'll learn everything from your perspective, and know how to interpretate the theory.
    ya

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How you learn best will depend on you. For me, so far ...

The composite type descriptions are interesting but not very good for typing people.

The descriptions of information elements are useful but only a starting point for developing my inner picture of what the IMs look like as manifest in the individuals I encounter.

A lot of people on this site can tell you much more than you will find in any one thread. I learn a lot by going into the chatbox and just asking annoying questions.

This forum is a way to test out your interactions with people. I find I often overlook Deltas unless they approach me. I learn a lot from Alphas. My supervisors possess a piece of the puzzle I do not own. I notice my duals but it takes me time to figure them out. Identicals are great for reinforcing ideas or playing them out just a little farther than I can take them on my own; clarifying. Etc.

It just takes time to build up more complete images in my mind of how the types "are"; I remain wary of going too far into the theory without keeping it all grounded in reality.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Socionist and Socionics in the West seconded.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I suppose this would be good advice, assuming I am able to type people accurately.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCraven View Post
    I suppose this would be good advice, assuming I am able to type people accurately.

yes, that's the paradox, you have to know the theory before you can type, but you learn the theory better after you know how to type. But that's no problem, just check in real life what you've learned in theory and check if the theory supports what you've learned in real time.

Also dating was for me the fastest learning curve. You meet people at so called short psychological distance, and get an immediate feel for how the information elements interact between you two. Duality for example can only be understood by people who've experienced it in real life.

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

socionics.org has some good stuff. Just Google translate that shit.

But I think the best part of socionics isn't internalizing some theory. Rather, it forces you to pay attention to things in your day-to-day interactions that you might not be conscious of otherwise, it prompts you to observe people's behavior more closely. And pretty soon, you'll become aware of patterns you never grasped before. That's what makes socionics awesome.