• I consider it to be true, but it isn’t hugely important to me

19 36.54%
  • I wish I could care more about it, either way\I don’t really give two shits

1 1.92%
  • I have my suspicions about it

2 3.85%
  • I don’t place faith in the theory of evilution

6 11.54%

Thread: What is your view on the theory of evolution by natural selection?

Threaded View

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Jxrtes, when I said "strongest" I didn't mean physical strength. It may be "intelligence" (alpha NT version) or whatever trait. The point is that when you arrive to a company and if you are "better" at doing the job, the others undermine you so that they don't look incompetent. In this sense, what you said works, you have to adapt to the environment.
    You're referring to an interpretation of social Darwinism which, other than bearing his name, has very little to do with Charles Darwin or his work. I don't think it was ever something he was actually purported to believe, either. In fact, the original edition of On the Origin of Species never even made use of the now common quip "survival of the fittest." This was something attributed after the fact by English philosopher Herbert Spencer in Principles of Biology, which came five years after the first edition of Darwin's Origin.

Most of this "survival of the fittest" and social Darwinism crap hinges on a misrepresentation of natural selection as we have come to understand it in the modern day. It has absolutely nothing to do with the actual scientific use of the term. Moreover, the theory of evolution and natural selection is much more complex and refined today than it was in the 1800s. Though Darwin's work was legendary for its time -- genetics was not even discovered yet -- he did commit quite a few blunders which have since been corrected and reformed.
    Last edited by Capitalist Pig; 11-17-2010 at 11:54 AM.