Thread: Both MBTI and Socionics are Correct?

Hybrid View

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    He used extroversion/introversion and the four functions (T/F, S/N). The P/J dichotomy was invented by Isabel Myers to connect Jung's temperaments into coherent types -- but unfortunately she didn't account for the potential consequences (type-wise) of tertiary temptation, and she kind of misinterpreted the impact of function orientation to personality.
    Okay. So what do you think Jung meant when describing Te and Fe dominants as "extroverted rationals", Ti and Fi dominants as "introverted rationals", Ne and Se dominants as "extroverted irrationals" and Ni and Si dominants as "introverted irrationals"?

IMO the greatest problem with MBTI - clearly visible with INTJ and INTP, as those two types are probably most common in online communities - is that trying to force-fit Ji and Pi with opposite rationality makes people reinterpret everything about the functions or dichotomies, then argue endlessly about what it really means, each giving their own typing as a "proof". Moving from MBTI to socionics, the agreement and constructive discussion about what elements are is unbelievable.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    Okay. So what do you think Jung meant when describing Te and Fe dominants as "extroverted rationals", Ti and Fi dominants as "introverted rationals", Ne and Se dominants as "extroverted irrationals" and Ni and Si dominants as "introverted irrationals"?
    He was referring to perception and judgment, but that doesn't mean perception and judgment were proper dichotomies -- Myers codified them into such.

Essentially, Jung didn't invent the types. he just invented the functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    IMO the greatest problem with MBTI - clearly visible with INTJ and INTP, as those two types are probably most common in online communities - is that trying to force-fit Ji and Pi with opposite rationality makes people reinterpret everything about the functions or dichotomies, then argue endlessly about what it really means, each giving their own typing as a "proof". Moving from MBTI to socionics, the agreement and constructive discussion about what elements are is unbelievable.
    I'm gonna need you to clarify yourself here.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna need you to clarify yourself here.
    Which part didn't you understand?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Essentially, Jung didn't invent the types. he just invented the functions.
    Types and functions weren't invented, they were discovered. That's something completely different.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Types and functions weren't invented, they were discovered.
    Show me a brain scan. Then show me what areas in that brain scan represent Jung's functions. Then I'll consider them to have been "discovered."

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Types and functions weren't invented, they were discovered. That's something completely different.
    BAM, Truth.

Show me a brain scan. Then show me what areas in that brain scan represent Jung's functions. Then I'll consider them to have been "discovered."

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before.
    You don't need a brain scan to discover an obvious phenomenon of human nature. Quit being a tool. Just because you are not aware enough to pick up on the types doesn't mean you need to exclaim they don't actually exist.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    BAM, Truth.
    Get a room you two.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    You don't need a brain scan to discover an obvious phenomenon of human nature. Quit being a tool. Just because you are not aware enough to pick up on the types doesn't mean you need to exclaim they don't actually exist.
    I can pick up on collections of traits which correspond to given types. I do not have to logically connect that to those types being naturally-occurring phenomena, as for that to occur it must be established that there are specific brain reactions that cause people to behave that way. Hence, I demand a fucking MRI.

By the way, more ad hom. You really should learn to debate properly.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a room you two.
    I can pick up on collections of traits which correspond to given types. I do not have to logically connect that to those types being naturally-occurring phenomena, as for that to occur it must be established that there are specific brain reactions that cause people to behave that way. Hence, I demand a fucking MRI.
    No, you know how to think up a truck-load of bullshit conceptions about type and slap them on a giant list with 10% accuracy. You've done it a million times. If you decided to focus on quality > quantity of typings, you might actually get somewhere with this theory.
    By the way, more ad hom. You really should learn to debate properly.
    "Real Debate Etiquette" is overrated and boring. You won't see me crying over ad hominem cause I don't bitch over nothing.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nearly everything that has been discovered in psychology has been done without a brainscan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, perhaps people who say personality theories are "discovered" should rephrase that--the concepts are in one's DNA/brain, but the interpretation and method of organizing those traits is created.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    BAM, Truth.
    So any old neuroscientist can come up with the socionics and MBTI theory on their own?