Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it really is.

0 0%
  • I don't know, hard to tell.

0 0%
  • No, not really.

0 0%
  • I haven't decided on a type yet. Can't say.

1 1.12%
  • 88 98.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Life

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Purpose of Life

READ THE TEXT, before you answer the poll question!!!

I was reading some materials about the A model and thought of a theory.

It is about the purpose of existence for that particular person. The meaning of his/her life. I think that the purpose of life could be strongly connected to the program (1st) function. People want to do what the first function is best at. This seems to be especially true for extroverted types, but I have asked so few people, that this is more of a hypothesis so far.

Examples:
    ENFj ( program) - she wants to give people a positive feeling about the world and life. She wants to be a teacher, so she can connect with younger people and show them that the world is a good place to live in. She wants to influence their attitude towards the world and make them positive and optimistic.

INTp ( program) - he wants to know everything. He's always trying to find out more about something new. He wants to learn the basic mechanism about everything, because you never know when you'll need the knowledge. And actually he wants to know everything just to know everything, even if he will never need it.
    This seems like he's using his creative function in an introverted way. Gathering creative functions information... (?) Or is there any connection to Ni?

me, ENTj? ( program) - I want to know what's the pattern that connects the world into one united complex system. I want to understand why some countries are poor and other ones rich, why some people are successful, while others are always poor. I want to know why people in different countries act so different, why some animals are more successful in evolution... I want to know how the world works. But differently from the INTp, I don't want to know everything, I only want to know the most important things of the most important topics. I need the connections, so I know where I can change things and alter the system. Then I can change the world and become successful.
    PS! This sounded like Te in hindsight. After I had answered the question, I analysed what function it was.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that what you describe as Te sounds like Ti, whereas your boyfriend's supposed Ni sounds like Te. Your sister's sounds like Ni.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I think that what you describe as Te sounds like Ti, whereas your boyfriend's supposed Ni sounds like Te. Your sister's sounds like Ni.
    Agreed, except that the sister's seemed more like . She sounds more like INFj than ENFj.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, my life goals revolve around relaxing with my family and having free reign of my time. I refuse to sell my time for a living. I don't work for money, money works for me. It's all about freedom to relax, really.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The purpose of life is INDIVIDUALISM.

The mastering of both Judment and Perception, Introversion and Extraversion.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. My purpose in life. Maybe it's a combination of functions for me. I certainly love raising people's spirits and cheerleading , but I also love learning new things. Oh, maybe that's too. In which case I guess I'd say yes.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    The purpose of life is INDIVIDUALISM.

The mastering of both Judment and Perception, Introversion and Extraversion.
    In America.

Seperate comment: Why are so many of the texts gender referenced? That is really annoying and contradictory.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joy
    Yes, my life goals revolve around relaxing with my family and having free reign of my time. I refuse to sell my time for a living. I don't work for money, money works for me. It's all about freedom to relax, really.
    Very similar for me, time is the most important commodity I can have, it's worth far more than money. It allows me to relax, enjoy myself, involve myself in hobbies and interests, of which I have many, meet friends, family, play, and have fun, all of which make me happy Time is not money, money buy's you time.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Creepy-

Tough...

I don't take life very seriously, but there are a few things I take very seriously.

In no particular order:

Love (and the object of my affections)
    Learning
    Religion
    Music

So, my life is driven by abstract, loosely defined and ultimately unachievable goals (as there is always more I can do), and again in no particular order...

*) To love
    *) To learn at every opportunity
    *) To be closer to "God"

If someone wants to supply a functional analysis, I would be grateful (otherwise I can't vote, lol)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleesha
    Tough...

I don't take life very seriously, but there are a few things I take very seriously.

In no particular order:

Love (and the object of my affections)
    Learning
    Religion
    Music

So, my life is driven by abstract, loosely defined and ultimately unachievable goals (as there is always more I can do), and again in no particular order...

*) To love
    *) To learn at every opportunity
    *) To be closer to "God"

If someone wants to supply a functional analysis, I would be grateful (otherwise I can't vote, lol)
    * To love - the hidden agenda of the INTp. Makes sense. You probably get a feeling that everything is just as it ought to be when you're cuddling with the right person. It is one of the ways can work.
    * To learn at every opportunity - You're using to gather ALL the information possible, because it somehow fuels your program. You can see the possible Ni-outcome if your mind has the information, which is provided my . Very INTp of you. :wink:
    * To be closer to God - well... I don't know. Erkki wants to BE God. Maybe it's just the need to be immortal or to have an immortal soul. If you're close to God now, He'll treat you better after you have died. He won't let you vanish into thin air...
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of that is INTp specific, whatsoever,.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    None of that is INTp specific, whatsoever,.
    Might be true, but of all the types, I've seen this in an INTp.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Creepy-pokeball

The purpose of life is worm food. Now ya'll have a good day, ya'hear!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel to new, interesting countries;
    Meet new, interesting people;
    Kill them all.

Or, would that be the purpose of Marines?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emeye
    Kill them all.
    The Aachener are quite safe, then, I suppose.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kill them all.

Or, would that be the purpose of Marines?
    Yes, and space aliens.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Kill them all.
    The Aachener are quite safe, then, I suppose.
    Seeing that they've finally made it to the Bundesliga, I'd say, not

I'll give them a year :wink:

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alemannia Aachen, you mean? My club is Freiburg. Another of those yoyo clubs. Ah well... *shrugs*

I was alluding, btw, to the average German's superior survival skills. If everybody stuck to your maxims, we'd be the ones to survive. The only nation capable of blending in with a concrete wall. You've got to love us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, no offense, but I believe Germans are the only nation who could come to the idea of building a damn pre-stressed concrete wall in the middle of a city in the first place. Not even Chinese thought of that

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite many people think their purpose of life is connected to their first function. The idea wasn't total BS. I'm glad.

Still, 37% isn't very much. It can't be used to type people. I'll keep that in mind when I'm trying to figure out someones type. :wink:
    E3 (probably 3w4)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, no offense, but I believe Germans are the only nation who could come to the idea of building a damn pre-stressed concrete wall in the middle of a city in the first place. Not even Chinese thought of that
    Ah yes. The blessings of totalitarianism. Thank God it's over.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Soviets did that, not the Germans.

I know you are being half-facetious, but I just wanted to set the record straight anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They gave the order, but the use of concrete and shotguns in the wall were German idea.

No other fence around east-block countries was that strongly built nor guarded

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The situation of Berlin was totally different and unique and can't be compared with any other border in that area, to use that example as the proof of some sort of German "uniqueness" is to stretch things way too much.

Anyway this is a huge thread hijack.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Expat: thanks. And sorry. You're right. End of hijack.

If the purpose of life (or your opinion about it) is linked to your first function... then what if you get influenced in a way that makes you think that exercising your first function is not a priority? If, say, a hapless INTP grew up surrounded by ESTPs and ESFPs, what would this do to his sense of purpose? He'd probably feel that the purpose of his life "ought to" be what everyone else tells him it is, but he'd secretly yearn for something else. Or he'd feel adrift and without any real sense of purpose at all whatsoever. Just thinking aloud here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Purpose of life

I think it is reasonable to suggest that the first function is leading or dominiering in the process of development. Otherwise why this and not the other function has been given to you as a base function? That means you have got abilites to serve sociey and God better on this function. It is like your mission. But purpose is not just to serve society or God, you have to learn to balance your needs with the needs of others. The greatest responsibility we have been given to look after ouselves and that is why the God said : Do not judge and you not be judged. It is important that you do not do bad for yourself and care about your soul in a first place. Life is a gift of Love and we suppose to threat it as a precious thing. It is a gift of gaining your identity, to understand who are you, who are you with and against, and etc... What we do in life is recorded on the palm of our hands, in genetics codes, in our memory, in the memory of others, we change ourselves and change the world around us. How important is identity for you?
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

Creepy-

Whatever my type is, there doesn't seem to be a correlation for me

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Aleesha

May be it is possible to tap into your base function? If we shal consider a base function as receptive centre, that means only info of a certain kind will be of an interest to you the other info will not pass through easily and if you wish you have to take an effort to push it through. That also means that automatically you choose from your environment only a certain type of info. It may be to do with the material structure, how it works, the psychological structure of people and objects around you. You may be uncounschiesly attentive when the talk goes about ddevelopment in a future and you feel as if you could do certain guess or prediction if you would grasp the idea of a structure first, analysis. Somthing like that?
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Creepy-

Oh, I don't know anymore. I'm NeFi, whatever that happens to mean. I don't know that my "purpose in life" has anything to do with Ne (or Ni ).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Alemannia Aachen, you mean? My club is Freiburg. Another of those yoyo clubs.
    Hijack number two, but just a short tangent--Allemania is playing Freiburg this coming weekend. Do you intend to drop by?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Aleesha

that's ok if you are not sure about your l;ife pupse at the end of the day there are many purposes and not just one. If you are an irrational type than may be you do need rationally justify your life as any one purpose. Irrationality provide different sort of exploanation as rationality: the purpose of life is life, for example.

I looked at one of the tests and it describes your core value as associtaed with compassion, to help another human being on one hand and ability to see through people to know what is the best they can offer regarding inner qualities.

We can also look into purpose of life system if you tell me the date of your birth, of course if you are interested.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I meant you may not feel a need for any rational explanation of your life purpose or it is irrelevant to you.

Creepy-pokeball

Oh, I don't know anymore. I'm NeFi, whatever that happens to mean. I don't know that my "purpose in life" has anything to do with Ne (or Ni ).
    You wont find the answer here. I promise you that.

Creepy-

@Olga

I'm not unsure of the purpose of my life (I am very clear about it even if it is un-specific), it just doesn't appear to be tied with my base function.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Huh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh?
    Jadae is probably referring to the fact that the meaning of life is hidden between rolls 4 and 5 of the film, but everybody misses it

(Monty Python: The Meaning of Life)

Creepy-

Oh.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Purpose of life for me is to make an impact on the world.

But, it could be biased. That purpose came to me at a funeral, when I didn't like the way dead people were talked about. And would rather be a "hero" then possess all these "qualities".

Creepy-pokeball

Huh?
    Jadae is probably referring to the fact that the meaning of life is hidden between rolls 4 and 5 of the film, but everybody misses it

Partially. I meant her as an entire whole tho--not just the thread title. She wont find what she is looking for here.

Creepy-

Huh?

Partially. I meant her as an entire whole tho--not just the thread title. She wont find what she is looking for here.
    Umm, I'm not looking for anything, so... *shrug*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast