Thread: The 8th function

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The 8th function

How comfortable are you with your 8th function? It's supposed to be rather active - is it possible that you don't use it very much?

The ENTj's 8th function is . I can easily see that I'm not as prone to use it as an ENTp or ENFp, but neither do I perceive a problem with using it. I notice most clearly difficulties with in ISTjs and ISFjs. Descriptions say that for ENTjs, is most clearly seen as awareness of potential abilities and possible achievements, rather than as always looking for alternatives. I can believe that, from the point of view of ENTps, ENTjs can appear as narrow-minded.

But can it happen that the 8th function is somehow a rather weak one?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think is rather strong in INTps, which is why they often have trouble determining if they're INTp.

My guess is that people who are into academic achievement develop both kinds of T and N because they're taught that these are essential skills.

On the other hand, people aren't taught in school that F is that important. Therefore, if it's the 7th or 8th function, it may not be developed as much unless there's a good reason for it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Model A states that the eighth function acts automatically as a result of other functional activation. I proposed a theory months ago about the process of the eighth function's activation, which stated that the functional process flows as 1st-->2nd-->8th, or more specifically, the result of the metabolism of a group of information through the 1st and 2nd functions is a crude form of the eighth function. Basically, the 2nd function receives its input from the 1st, and since the 1st function is oriented opposite of the 2nd, the 2nd can only work with information of the opposite kind, i.e. the Ni of an ENTj must work with primarily extraverted input. Processing this input with the introverted second function produces a semi-extraverted result which is partially Ne. So generally speaking, the result of information metabolism is a mix between 2nd function outputs and 8th function outputs. So really you don't use your eighth function; it is only a result of another process.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Model A states that the eighth function acts automatically as a result of other functional activation. I proposed a theory months ago about the process of the eighth function's activation, which stated that the functional process flows as 1st-->2nd-->8th, or more specifically, the result of the metabolism of a group of information through the 1st and 2nd functions is a crude form of the eighth function. Basically, the 2nd function receives its input from the 1st, and since the 1st function is oriented opposite of the 2nd, the 2nd can only work with information of the opposite kind, i.e. the Ni of an ENTj must work with primarily extraverted input. Processing this input with the introverted second function produces a semi-extraverted result which is partially Ne. So generally speaking, the result of information metabolism is a mix between 2nd function outputs and 8th function outputs. So really you don't use your eighth function; it is only a result of another process.
    I don't see how a T function could be so subconscious in a type that has T in the ego block. I'm pretty sure I use both kinds of T consciously.

What may sometimes happen though is that the more remote T may be "synthesized"...for example, consider an ENTp or INTj. That person has in the ego block and through practice may become conscious of and use it to help "control" things. may serve as a sort of reflector, or mirror, for creating a synthetic .

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the eighth function at work only once every few days. It's always a spark of correspondence between the inner world of Ti and the outer world of Ne. Like for example, I've been working on a "relationspace" through which to explain socionics and crosstype in "physical" terms. Although the relationspace itself is not relevant to this discussion, the impact of concrete art on its development is. Particularly, I watched Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children recently. The creative art manifested itself on the octagon lattice used as a promotional effect by the designers, but not specifically explained by them.

In particular, the lattice looks very similar to the lattice I had used to describe relationspace, only it has eight sides per node instead of the four I was using. I had been wondering how to use the four-sided lattice to explain the subject's unconscious functions in terms of personalities, and not just apparent relations between functions. This octagonal lattice is probably the correct approach to the problem, and I will try to link my existing model with the "correct" vision of it when I have sufficiently thought about it enough to make the links intuitively.

That's creative art.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I try to use Te for extended periods of time, I get rather bored and drained, leaving me in a rather bizzare state of fatigue.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...I think we should start providing our definitions of the functions we reference. You know, just to clear up the ambiguities.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lately I think I have been going back and forth between the two thinking functions. Looking back at my past, it seems like Te used to "take over" or whatever, being the reactionary part of my personality, but then as I "matured" the energy-level of the thinking function seems to have more or less leveled out between both Introverted and Extraverted Thinking. I try to hold back and contain my criticism, being more controlled, thorough, systematic... and not calling people out right stupid as soon as they disagree with me. But that part still fights with the Te, which likes to throw things out there and makes a decision based on the kind of reaction it gets.

So, I think we can use all of the judging functions "conciously" if we learn to control them.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.