Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alphas what kind of humor do you like? (INTj, ESFj, ENTp, ISFp)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little known, but still one of my favorites for totally random surrealistic humor:

[web:3ff7f7466d]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacant_Lot[/web:3ff7f7466d]

Kind of a stranger version of Kids in the Hall (if that's possible to imagine).

I've always had a fondness for absurdity. Freud postulated (in "Jokes and the Unconscious") that people who enjoy absurd humor generally enjoy frustrating others. (I paraphrased). :wink:
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Bizarre juxtapositions = NeTi
    Finding humor in nonsensical things: Ne + Fe
    It's so common in this forum to say that some behavior or aspect of life "equals" some IM element or combination of IM elements...I don't know how to free people from that thinking.

It's absolutely true that Ti can isolate things from their usual emotional context, and Ne from their usual physical context, so as to lead to a bizarre juxtaposition.

The question is whether all bizarre juxtapositions are derived from Alpha processes.

I think it all depends on why the person is making the bizarre juxtaposition, and what aspects that person is emphasizing.

I think a lot of people with emphasis on Ni also explore bizarre worlds or surreal imaginations; this takes on a different quality than Ne surrealism which is more about recognizing the possibilities.

Maybe it would help to consider some people who are known for bizarre juxtapositions and consider individually how they use these and to what effect:

Salvador Dali
    Niffweed
    JK Rowling
    Georgio de Chirico

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But we are not talking about surrealism per se, but the specific genre of surreal humor, which was covered in overview (at least in terms of contemporary expressions) in the first post with the slightly lengthier link.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alpha humor

So it is my understanding that gammas do not appreciate alpha humor the majority of the time. I guess I can understand that when you're having a serious discussion you wouldn't like someone making an off color joke--that's just disruptive, but I want more specifics.

In the interests of diplomacy, when do you find alpha humor funny and when do you find it annoying? What do you find annoying about it? I love anecdotes. Share some!

I often try to express sincere ideas in the form of a joke so I can get something serious across while maintaining the atmosphere and I consider this to be one of my personal strengths--that I can get otherwise uninterested people interested in complex ideas by making them simple and fun. Would this annoy you?

(if you want to talk about annoying alphas, this would be the place/time to do it. I promise I wont take it personally.)
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not Gamma, but I"ll answer anywway. I find Alpha humor to be interesting, not annoying at all. Sometimes funny, sometimes I'm sort of fascinated that they find it amusing.

Some examples: the "that's what she said" thing (which is sometimes funny, sometimes not). The office, Third Rock, Stepbrothers, Tiny Fey.

I do find Tiny Fey to be somewhat annoying as she thinks she's so witty/cute. However, I know ISFps who like that very thing about her.

From my perspective, some of it seems like "OMG it's a silly clown wearing a fake mustache! hahha" It's like "oh, well I guess that's interesting -- but why is a fake mustache on a clown funny exactly??"
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It always surprises me how sensitive types are. I can't count how many times a type has said something mildly insulting to me (I'm sure they didn't intend it as an insult) as a friendly joke, and I try to respond in kind, only to find out that I crossed some unspoken line and hurt their feelings, like I picked the wrong thing to make fun of. Although this happens more with delta than gamma.
    The saddest ESFj

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think gammas have a very black, overt sense of humor. I never try to be funny. I don't try and pull jokes out of the sky the way alphas do. Something happening has to be inherently funny, and my jokes come from observations on the experience of it. I also dont joke around with people i dont like.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gamma humor is like dave chappele and sacha baron cohen.

alpha humor is like the office or monty python.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    I think gammas have a very black, overt sense of humor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    gamma humor is like dave chappele.
    See? I just pulled a joke out of thin air!
    I disagree on Dave Chappelle though, I wouldn't describe his humor as dark in any way.
    The saddest ESFj

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol i dont think it is.

Not sure if "dark" homur is really gamma.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol but that's what this thread is all about--when and why do you think alpha humor gets ridiculous?

Here's Stephen Colbert interviewing Paul Krugman. I think he's an ILI--he looks a little uncomfortable and all the jokes aren't really reaching him (they seem to be making him more uncomfortable), but he manages to get a couple jokes of his own in.

Paul Krugman | July 13, 2009 | ColbertNation.com

Haven't heard anything from any SFs yet. Where are they?
    The saddest ESFj

Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    Here's Stephen Colbert interviewing Paul Krugman. I think he's an ILI--he looks a little uncomfortable and all the jokes aren't really reaching him (they seem to be making him more uncomfortable), but he manages to get a couple jokes of his own in.
    In case of Fe-PoLRs it's case of other peoples expectation to react to the jokes, that's uncomfortable rather than the jokes itself.

I don't like jokes that seem to be promoting behaviour that I find to be morally objectionable, that's all I can think of right now.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I strangely can't think of specific examples other than the off-color sex jokes or some of the insult-based humor (I'd cite an example to understand what I am saying, but it's the sort of things LIIs say to insult me.). I get the off color sex jokes from my best friend/ex boyfriend since I'm usually tolerant to it and have plenty of my own, but it grates on me every now and again and as a girl, I don't particularly appreciate making jokes about me based on the mere fact I have breasts and a vagina.
    It was my understanding from past threads that the off-color sex joke was more likely to come from Gamma or Beta?

Dark humor isn't really gamma. It can be, sure, but gamma tends to gravitate to inside jokes or jokes requiring some insider knowledge and is usually more toned down than Alpha humor when Alpha humor gets....ridiculous...cough.
    There are even limits to "Alpha humor" that even grate on my nerves.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    It was my understanding from past threads that the off-color sex joke was more likely to come from Gamma or Beta?
    Yeah, depends on what "off-color" means, but joking about sex is typical for aggressor-victim-relations. Although when Alphas joke about sex, then to me, sometimes there's something that irks me about it.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see anything humorous here, maybe just the way Colbert is approaching the situation, but its prevalent.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure, however, if you described Alpha humor. It sounds like you are not describing Alpha humor, but middle school humor.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, good joke is a good joke. Humor is an insider thing. Insiders are those people who are supposed to get the joke.
    Last edited by Trevor; 07-12-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite. I don't mean that low grade though I realize trying to communicate ILI-speak to an LII is not too easy.

I'm just joking, cowboy.

Maybe I should show a clip of one of the hentai Oblivion mods he uses which both him and my LII brother find a lot funnier than I do (though they are guys, too, so it's not a totally fair example.).

Anyways, a good example of Alpha humor I hate is anything done by Eddie Murphey for his RAW stand ups. He sucks horribly and is plain offensive. I'm sure not all alphas like him either, but it's one example.

I'm not sure of the PedoBear over 9000 music vid would be a good example, but it may also not be very much type related, either.
    I understand what you are talking about with ILI humor. I too need a context or some soil to implant most of my jokes or quips. I just do not understand exactly what you are trying to get at with Alpha humor. I certainly would not find a hentai mod to be funny; it lacks wit.

Humor runs a fairly large gamut in terms of taste. Expat for example once said that he finds Weekend at Bernie's hilarious, and he thought it was a good example of an Alpha comedy. I'm not really a fan of Weekend at Bernie's, but I do not deny that it is an Alpha comedy.

I have found that Alpha humor generally revolves around contextual scenarios and absurd situations and people (The Office, Hitchhiker's Guide, Spaced, Futurama). Although Alpha sometimes pokes fun at people, they frequently poke fun at themselves, and rarely in a manner that could potentially upset the given emotional atmosphere. It is surrealistic (many of the shows listed have strong Alpha elements). Monty Python for example features scenarios that are clearly impossible or unlikely to ever occur, but they also take things to logical extremes and use non-sequiturs. But these are largely instances where the medium is controlled and not necessarily always something that is observed in groups, unless you can observe towel-carrying space-travelers.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we could get some input
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-bg

Note to alphas: Feel free to put up humor you like which you feel is particular to your quadra more so than anything and we can give our input since otherwise this is going nowhere in an objective sense. And since you would know what qualifies for it better than us gammas would.

Thanks in advance.
    I think this might be something that some alphas (those who like sick humor at least) would appreciate but gammas would just at.

NSFW
    Last edited by bg; 07-17-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Creepy-bg

It's actually pretty funny in the weird sorta messed up way. 'arbitrary flith' that's a good way to put it. But yeah, it gets a bit messed up.
    okay maybe it's just funny for anybody with a sick sense of humor

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah all in all I'm not really sure if humor is strictly a quadra thing. Every type seems to have more or less their style of humor, and sociotype really has less to do with humor than basically what the elements describe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should respond to that ESE of how those new shoes or that new bag is going to put money in their bank account.
    lol only if you want a lengthy, confusing, Sarah Palinesque response.
    The saddest ESFj

Message removed
    Last edited by Warlord; 11-20-2009 at 08:25 AM.

INTp

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Alpha humor is contextual, situational, self-deprecating, contradictory, satirical, often indulging in word play and sometimes physical comedy. Often social commentary is being made.

It typically requires some understanding of the situation/context/rationale of the actors/humorist.

But I think there are many people who can appreciate these humor elements.

I think the best comedy show in the recent past is Chappelle show, but I think typing Dave Chappelle Show as gamma is a mistyping.

Chappelle show fulfills all the elements of Alpha humor, almost all the shows skits are relating some past experience in a colorful and humorous fashion or some satire of popular culture.

The Rick James sketches, Charlie Murphy, the satire of popular culture such as Trading Spouses and the R. Kelly trial. The black blind white supremacist, amongst other social commentary.

As far as Sasha Baron Cohen, I don't really see his style as being very close to Chappelle.

But maybe I'm just seeing things, cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should respond to that ESE of how those new shoes or that new bag is going to put money in their bank account.
    ESEs aren't 30 and still living with their parents.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simmer down, sonny. It's just a joke. :rolls eyes:

This gives me deja vu with me joking with my LII brother who smirks at me and tells me I'm an idiot. But occasionally I can crack him up.
    Simmer? I didn't even warm up.
    Johari Box

That's why, saying something like:"very funny, stfu or I'll make you eat it", would work for better effect.

INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    That's why, saying something like:"very funny, stfu or I'll make you eat it", would work for better effect.
    If I was 14.
    Johari Box

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    If I was 14.
    Listening to people who are seemingly 6.

INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird Al=example of Alpha humor I have no qualms with. At all.
    His humor is benign and non-offensive.
    Johari Box

Creepy-Diana

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is this ILE who jokes with me and I either don't find those jokes funny or I take them way too serious. LII jokes mostly insults me. ESE and SEI sometimes are pretty funny but sometimes just annoying.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will admit that sometimes Ti types can be edgy with their humor in order to provoke a Fe response back. Depending on what has proven to work for Ti types and their history, their jokes can be insulting. But Fi types can just be insulting because they dislike you, which can be equally insulting.
    Johari Box

Creepy-male

So true. I especially notice this in certain EII males.
    My EII friend does this to people he likes too.

"I can say whatever, since we're friends."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    My EII friend does this to people he likes too.

"I can say whatever, since we're friends."
    what a buzz kill.
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

what a buzz kill.
    Deltas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gamma and beta humor has always struck me, 'yep here's the joke, right here for you, i'm tellin it, this is the joke.' like the whole thing has to be on the table(lack of value of extroverted intuition in quadra?). I think futurama is a great, brilliant example of alpha humor.
    asd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    gamma and beta humor has always struck me, 'yep here's the joke, right here for you, i'm tellin it, this is the joke.' like the whole thing has to be on the table(lack of value of extroverted intuition in quadra?). I think futurama is a great, brilliant example of alpha humor.
    Ha, Futurama just isn't funny to me at all. I watch it and I'm thinking "wow this is retarded", but my LII friend loves it.

When Alphas try to humor me it seems like they try too hard, and I understand the joke but I don't appreciate it and don't think it's funny. Or I just don't get it, at all (PoLR Ne). I see that there is some sort of gist, but I don't make the connection in my head to really get it sometimes.
    SEE-Fi 9w8 sx/sp

The whole problem with this thread is that it's written from the assumption:"Gammas find alpha-humor offending, why's that?" When in reality gammas in general probably don't. It's like asking Howard Stern why is Robin Williams so offending. I'm hard pressed to find anything offending about alpha humor, other than sometimes being offending to my intelligence.

INTp

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast