Thread: Recipe sharing thread

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are beautiful @Sol .

Also not a recipe but I’ve been adding potato starch into my eggs recently. I add a bit of hot water and whisk it in with a bit of salt. It draws out my eggs, adds a yummy chewy, crepe-like texture, and is good with cheese. I like to sprinkle dried basil on top if I add cheese. Also a super convenient way of getting carbs/starch into my meal. Gluten free too obviously if you care. Basically it makes normal eggs into a full satisfying meal and improves cost efficiency.
    Last edited by sbbds; 11-29-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    You are beautiful Sol
    It's surprising to get this after a cooking recipe. You are beautiful too.

> Also not a recipe but I’ve been adding potato starch into my eggs recently. I add a bit of hot water and whisk it in with a bit of salt. It draws out my eggs, adds a yummy chewy, crepe-like texture, and is good with cheese.

Instead of a water mb tried kefir/yogurt (1 table spoon per egg) or 1 table spoon of sour cream per 2-4 eggs. Instead of potato starch mb used a flour (~0.5 tea spoon per egg). The components are near home temperature.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    It's surprising to get this after a cooking recipe. You are beautiful too.

> Also not a recipe but I’ve been adding potato starch into my eggs recently. I add a bit of hot water and whisk it in with a bit of salt. It draws out my eggs, adds a yummy chewy, crepe-like texture, and is good with cheese.

Instead of a water mb tried kefir/yogurt (1 table spoon per egg) or 1 table spoon of sour cream per 2-4 eggs. Instead of potato starch mb used a flour (~0.5 tea spoon per egg). The components are near home temperature.
    I’ve added a dash of milk/cream to eggs before but idk how I feel about sour dairy plus eggs >_>

Flour wouldn’t make it chewy like potato starch.

Eccentric Neurotic Narcissist andreasdevig's Avatar
    TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my favorite recipes...

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"Trubochki" (waffle rolls) with butter cream

Dough:
    flour - 150 g
    milk butter - 150 g
    eggs - 4 pcs
    sugar - 150 g
    potato starch - 50 g
    water or milk - 100 g

Cream:
    condensed milk/cream (with a sugar, 8-20% fat) - 1 can (360-380 g)
    milk butter - 250 g

The butter should be soften. Then mix it and beat up with the sugar by a mixer. Then add the egg yolks one by one, meanwhile adding the starch, the flour and the water. Egg whites beat up by the mixer in a strong foam and then add to the dough, gently stirring by the mixer. Bake waffles immediately.
    Before making waffles a waffle iron should be warmed for ~15 min. Place a little of butter on the cooking surface and spread it. The 1st waffle is made until dark brown color to prepare the surface. Place a tea spoon of the dough to a center of the waffle iron and press by its cover on ~75 seconds (until light-brown color). Remove the waffle by a knife and quickly fold it into a cone form.
    The cream is made by mixing of the soften butter and the condensed milk by a mixer for ~30 min. To this time waffles are cooled.
    Fill the waffle cones by the cream. Then place the prepeared rolles into a fridge for a couple of hours.

The quantity of waffles is >30 pcs.

Cookies "Oreshki" ("Nutys")

Dough:
    flour - 350 g
    milk butter - 250 g
    sour cream or cream (30-35%) - 100 g
    sugar - 100 g
    soda - 1/2 tea spoon [on the soda pour lemon juice or vinegar to the top of the spoon]

Cream:
    condensed milk/cream (with a sugar, 8-20% fat) - 1 can (360-380 g)
    milk butter - 140 g
    walnuts - 75 g
    almond nuts - 25 g

Boil a can of condensed milk for 3 hours in a saucepan, with pouring a water every hour so that the water completely covered the can. Also you may buy a ready-made boiled condensed milk.
    Fry the nuts, with stirring them for 5-10 minutes on a frying pan and then crush them (manually or by a blender) to small pieces.
    You can soften a butter from a freezer by rubbing it on the grater and leaving it at room temperature for 2 hours.

Make the dough, mixing by the hands the flour, softened butter, sour cream, sugar, soda (hydrated by an acid).
    Place a little of the butter on the nuts cookies form and heat it (also exist electro nuts makers). Make a party of 2-2.5 cm balls of the dough. Place the balls in the form, close it and place on a stove with a middle fire, keep pressing the form's parts while baking. Keep the form on the fire by the pits side for 1-1.5 mins and on other side for the same.
    At ready-made cookies' parts you may break off the redundant edges.

Make the cream by mixing the cooled condensed milk with softened butter, and at the end mix with the nuts.
    Fill the nuts' shells with the cream and join them. The ready-made cookies put in the fridge for 4 hours.

Note: It's very important to use high quality condensed milk and butter in the cream of these recipes. Condensed milk made in Russia and near climate is better when produced from May to August. Among the best Russian butter is "Vologodskoye" 82,5%.
    Last edited by Sol; 11-25-2019 at 07:02 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yoghurt
    ground cardemom, clove
    berries, fresh or dried
    banana
    some nuts

mix yoghurt with sliced banana and nuts,
    add cardemom, clove and berries
    Enjoy!
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to make a tuna toast: take 2 slices of bread, open a tuna can, put the tuna on one slice of bread and cover with the other slice. (variation: add salad)

bon apetit!

ps, i can give you lasagne recipe if you want.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    how to make a tuna toast: take 2 slices of bread, open a tuna can, put the tuna on one slice of bread and cover with the other slice. (variation: add salad)
    as variations:
    - to put the tuna by different sides
    - to cut the slices of different forms, shapes and thickness
    - to put the tuna between slices of the bread without a can

such you'd get the menu for whole day

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@hag
    your cookies need a name and a picture would be nice
    have added a popular in Russia cookies' recipe

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegetarian Burger (own recipe)

Ingredients: (For one burger)
    1/2 Smoked Tofu
    Whole Wheat Bun
    Garlic
    Onion
    White Yogurt
    Ketchup
    Soy Sauce
    Black paper
    Salt
    Arugula
    Tomato
    Pickled Cucumber
    1 Batata
    Thyme
    Garlic Baking Spice
    Olive Oil

How to make the batata:

• Preheat the oven to 200 °C/390 °F
    • Clean and peel the batata
    • Cut it on thin slices
    • Spread some olive oil on a baking sheet
    • Place the batata on the baking sheet and add a garlic baking spice and thyme
    • Bake it in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until it turns crispy

How to make the burger:

• Place the tofu into a closable container, and drip few drops of soy sauce on it from each side. Add black paper, 1 squeezed garlic clove and 1/2 of finely chopped onion. Close the container and place it into a fridge for at least 1 hour. If you let it in there for longer time, it will better soak in the sauce and the spice.

2. Place the marinaded tofu on a heated pan with olive oil, roast it with the onion and the garlic from each side for approximately 5-10 minutes

3. When the tofu's ready it's time to roast the bun, cut it on half and place the halves on the same pan, add more olive oil if necessary and roast it from each side until it turns browner and crispy.

4. Now it's time to make the dressing! Empty the whole packing of yogurt into a bowl, add 3-5 cloves of garlic (I add more, but I like garlic too much. It depends on your preferences how much garlic you want to use.), add black paper and salt.

5. Spread the yogurt dressing on the bun, add ketchup, 1 pickled cucumber cut on 2 halves, 2 slices of tomato, roasted onion and arugula, finally place the tofu on the bun and enjoy!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yay, found it. The thread, i mean.

I made a new dish the other night but I probably won't again because it involved a lot of chopping and idk how it tasted because I used too much green Tabasco and it took over. But here it is. https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/chil...otato-skillet/

Btw, do u guys roast squash? I just had some roasted squash with lunch and it tastes good and I can feel good about it cuz it's a veggie. I don't use any oil. Not a recipe, exactly, but it has my enthusiastic endorsement.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I microwave squash. I just cut it in half or in the biggest hunks that will fit and put it in a Corningware dish with a couple tablespoons of water and cover it with a glass lid and microwave on high until it tests with a fork as being done.
    This works with Spaghetti squash, butternut, and acorn squash.

It turns out fine, and if I wanted to roast it afterwards, I'd spread butter and brown sugar over it and place it under a broiler until it browned.

I'd microwave it first, though, to make sure it was cooked all the way through.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I thought this salad was so-so and helped by dressing but my boyfriend said he wouldn't pollute it with dressing and could eat it everyday the rest of his life.

Notes! I couldn't find gnocchi, so I substituted penne made with whole wheat and vegetable powder, a little over half a box or so. I also used 12 ounces of chicken sausage (love me some meat) with cheese in it. And white wine vinegar instead of red cuz that's what I had, and whatever, it's all the same.. right?

1 large shallot, finely sliced
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 package gnocchi
    2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    8 ounces chicken sausage, preferably sweet or spicy Italian flavored, sliced
    1 16-ounce bottle roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
    5 ounces arugula

Soak the shallot in the vinegar
    Cook the pasta then brown it in half the oil
    Brown the precooked sausage in half the oil
    Mix all the things

Here:
    https://www.rachaelhartleynutrition....-gnocchi-salad

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV dinner recipe:

1. buy
    2. open package
    3. put in microwave for idk a few minutes
    4. enjoy!

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Typical Dinner Recipe:

1. Wander around until you see a nice restaurant.
    2. Go in, sit down, look at menu, ask waiter what they recommend.
    3. Order food.
    4. Enjoy.

-with a tip o' the hat to @Armalite

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Typical Dinner Recipe:

1. Wander around until you see a nice restaurant.
    2. Go in, sit down, look at menu, ask waiter what they recommend.
    3. Order food.
    4. Enjoy.

-with a tip o' the hat to @Armalite
    Wow, can't believe I never thought of that. Thank you!

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
    Wow, can't believe I never thought of that. Thank you!
    Lol. It becomes a near-necessity when your time is worth more than the meal costs, either to buy the meal or to prepare it yourself.

Besides, I'm not a great cook. Why not leave the complex stuff to the professionals?

Eccentric Neurotic Narcissist andreasdevig's Avatar
    TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smoothie6.jpg

This is a Smoothie I invented. It's called Solar Melanchola.

Ingredients:

- Frozen Raspberries
    - Raspberry jam
    - Peanut Butter
    - Half an Apple (optional)
    - Pineapple Juice

Put in the blender for about a minute. And that's it, baby.
    EII-INFj / INFP / Strong E4 and 9 energy / Melancholic-Phlegmatic / Musical-Intrapersonal-Spatial / Kinky-Sensual

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Another salad. I've made it a handful of times and it's easy and I plan going forth to just have it on hand pretty much all the time as a quick dinner side. Its not a mouth orgasm, but it's pleasant and healthy to have around.
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe..._and_parmesan/

Mix the dressing in a little bowl:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp rice vinegar
    1 tbsp honey
    Salt and pepper

Fill up a big bowl with a bunch of bite-size kale pieces and dump the dressing on it. Squish it in a whole bunch with your hands.

Throw in a handful of dried cranberries and a handful of nuts.

Voila, buncha salad.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    "Trubochki" (waffle rolls) with butter cream

Dough:
    flour - 150 g
    milk butter - 150 g
    eggs - 4 pcs
    sugar - 150 g
    potato starch - 50 g
    water or milk - 100 g

Cream:
    condensed milk/cream (with sugar) - 1 can (360-380 g)
    milk butter - 250 g

The butter should be soften. Then mix it and beat up with the sugar by a mixer. Then add the egg yolks one by one, meanwhile adding the starch, the flour and the water. Egg whites beat up by the mixer in a strong foam and then add to the dough, gently stirring by the mixer. Bake waffles immediately.
    Before making waffles a waffle iron should be warmed for ~15 min. Place a little of butter on the cooking surface and spread it. The 1st waffle is made until dark brown color to prepare the surface. Place a tea spoon of the dough to a center of the waffle iron and press by its cover on ~75 seconds (until light-brown color). Remove the waffle by a knife and quickly fold it into a cone form.
    The cream is made by mixing of the soften butter and the condensed milk by a mixer for ~30 min. To this time waffles are cooled.
    Fill the waffle cones by the cream. Then place the prepeared rolles into a fridge for a couple of hours.

The quantity of waffles is >30 pcs.

Cookies "Oreshki" ("Nutys")

Dough:
    flour - 350 g
    milk butter - 250 g
    sour cream or cream (30-35%) - 100 g
    sugar - 100 g
    soda - 1/2 tea spoon [on the soda pour lemon juice or vinegar to the top of the spoon]

Cream:
    condensed milk/cream (with sugar) - 1 can (360-380 g)
    milk butter - 140 g
    walnuts - 50 g
    almond nuts - 50 g

Boil a can of condensed milk for 2-3 hours in a saucepan, with pouring a water every hour so that the water completely covered the can. Also you may buy a ready-made boiled condensed milk.
    Fry the nuts, with stirring them for 5-10 minutes on a frying pan and then crush them to small pieces.
    You can soften a butter from a freezer by rubbing it on the grater and leaving it at room temperature for 2 hours.

Make the dough, mixing by the hands the flour, softened butter, sour cream, sugar, soda (hydrated by an acid).
    Place a little of the butter on the nuts cookies form and heat it. Make a party of 2-2.5 cm balls of the dough. Place the balls in the form, close it and place on a stove with a middle fire, keep pressing the form's parts while baking. Keep the form on the fire by the pits side for 2-2.5 mins and on other side for 1.5 mins.
    At ready-made cookies' parts break off the redundant edges.

Make the cream by mixing the cooled condensed milk with softened butter, and at the end mix with the nuts.
    Fill the nuts' shells with the cream and join them. The ready-made cookies put in the fridge for 4 hours.

Note: It's very important to use high quality condensed milk and butter in the cream of these recipes. Condensed milk made in Russia and near climate is better when produced from May to August. Among the best Russian butter is "Vologodskoye" 82,5%.
    I will be making these yummy
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I will be making these yummy
    "Oreshki" are much easier. The grinding of nuts mb done in a blender. Mb used any semi-spheric cookies forms.
    Sweet condensed milk (up to 20% of fat) mb sold as "boiled" already. When you boil yourself you can control how viscous it is (the longer boil - the more it will). Check its ingredients: the quality one is with milk and sugar only.
    To add almond nuts was my idea. Mb better the proportion of: walnuts - 75 g and almond nuts - 25 g

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Totally Delicious Breakfast Eggs

Crack 4 eggs, preferably free-range, in a bowl and whisk briskly with in 1/4 cup or more of sour cream, salt and pepper to taste, and a tablespoon of Trader Joe's Harissa paste. Set aside

Heat olive oil and butter [or, bacon fat] in an iron pan. Add some chopped onion and cubed pancetta, stirring til pancetta is just browned. Then add one crushed garlic clove til clear. Then pour in the eggs and harissa mixture. Stir over medium high heat til done, and then turn heat to low to fold in some cubed fresh tomatoes, fresh baby spinach and shredded gruyere and/or raw cheddar and serve immediately.

This adds a powerful flavor punch. I usually have one open in the fridge and at least one on the shelf. I also love it in my cauliflower mash. It colors both the eggs and the mash a pretty pinkish shade. And makes folk ask for the recipe! Sour cream makes the eggs fluffy.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be the best meal I’ve ever accidentally made in my life:

- Ingredients: pho noodles, ground pork, dried bay leaf, onion/meat stock, cheese, seaweed, cilantro, kimchi liquid (fermented chili flakes, sweet vinegar), shredded cabbage, spinach, black pepper, dried basil, sesame seeds, sesame oil
    - In the end I added rehydrated black fungus (this is not the same as other dark mushrooms.. if you can’t find them, skip them altogether or add straw mushrooms, butterscotch/nameko or enoki mushrooms instead if you know wtf those are— it needs to be crunchy when moist and without a pungent aftertaste)
    - It would have been better if I had more green onion in there, and also chives
    - Would work great also with offal, pork or beef bones, or even a whole white fish instead of ground pork (would be okay with chicken too but maybe a bit dry and plain)

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a recipe, but i've started adding turmeric to many dishes. even to hot chocolate It's tasty.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

For lunch just now, I threw the following leftovers in a small frying pan: rice, chickpeas, roasted squash. Added fresh: chopped onion, pepper, garlic powder. Scorched it all and then added sriracha to mask the flavor. Don't be jealous.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate spending too much time in the store, so I am missing a lot of smoothie ingredients to use in my new NutriBullet. The best improvised smoothie I've been able to make thus far is:

Spinach (about half a cup, eyeballing)
    Strawberries, frozen (1/4 to half a cup)
    Plain Greek Yogurt (about 1/4 cup)
    Almonds (mine are sliced, about a couple tablespoons)
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk (probably about a cup or a little more)
    Vanilla (1/2 a teaspoon)
    Lite maple syrup (little over a teaspoon)

In the future I intend to use more banana and dates for sweetening rather than maple syrup, but I don't have them so. This one is pretty good to me though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Meat with prunes

Chop meat with prunes

Ingredients:
    Meat (cow, pig) - 0.5-1 kg
    Prunes (without cores) - 200 g
    Onions - 2 pcs
    Garlic - 4 cloves
    Mayonnaise - 2 tbsp
    Bay leaf - 2 pcs
    Sunflower oil - 4 tbsp
    Milk butter 82% - 60 g
    Salt - 1-2 tea spoon
    Sugar - 2 tea spoon
    Frying pan
    Heavy-walled saucepan

Cooking:
    Cut the meat across the fibers into 10x5x1 cm pieces. Place meat in polyethylene food bag and beat it with a wooden hammer until 5 mm thickness.
    Prunes cut to 1 cm pieces. Cut the onion into 1/4 of circles. Cut garlic to small pieces.
    Mix the garlic with the mayonnaise. Coat the meat by that mix and place in a fridge for 12 hours.
    Put 2 tbsp of sunflower oil and 30 g of butter on frying pan and heat it. Put onion and fry for ~7 minutes with a stirring.
    Put 2 tbsp of sunflower oil and 30 g of butter on frying pan and heat it. Fry the meat for 2 minutes per every of both sides. Depending on meat's quantity you may need to fry several of pans.
    Place in a saucepan fried meat, prunes, fried onion, bay leaves. Cover that by hot boiled water and keep on small fire for 30 minutes. Then remove bay leafs, add salt, sugar and keep for 5 minutes. Turn off the fire and leave for 15 min.

Meat with prunes

Ingredients:
    Meat (cow, pig) - 0.5-1 kg
    Prunes - 200 g
    Onions - 2 pcs
    Garlic - 4 cloves
    Vodka - 3 tbsp
    Tomato paste/sauce - 2 tbsp
    Bay leaf - 2 pcs
    Sunflower oil - 4 tbsp
    Milk butter 82% - 60 g
    Salt - 1-2 tea spoon
    Sugar - 2 tea spoon
    Frying pan
    Heavy-walled saucepan

Cooking:
    Meat clean from membranes and cut to 2 cm pieces. Remove pits in prunes, cut to 1 cm pieces. Cut the onion into 1/4 of circles. Cut garlic to small pieces.
    Put 2 tbsp of sunflower oil and 30 g of butter on frying pan and heat it. Put meat (up to 500 g, with more needs to repeat) on medium fire for 10 minutes (after 5 minutes mix it to fry other sides). Put fried meat in a saucepan.
    Add a water into the saucepan so it was 1-2 cm above the meat. Add vodka there. Close saucepan's cover and keep on small fire for 1 hour. If after ~45 min water's level drops - add some water.
    Put 2 tbsp of sunflower oil and 30 g of butter on frying pan and heat it. Put onion, garlic and fry for ~7 minutes with a stirring.
    After that 1 hour, add fried onions and garlic, prunes, tomato sauce, bay leaf to the saucepan and keep for 30 min.
    Then remove bay leafs, add salt, sugar and keep for 5 min. Turn off the fire and leave for 15 min.

@ashlesha
    Last edited by Sol; 10-22-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Sol ooh that looks exactly like something I would like, and I don't know why you tagged me, but thank you!

Maybe it's fate! I don't remember exactly where you're from? Russia? But I was just looking into slavic recipes and I bought groceries for a croatian fish stew that will be delivered today. Also, I've been considering how I don't know much about that part of the globe (Russia and Eastern Europe) and wondering what to read? It couldn't be too much about dates,wars,boy stuff... it'd need to be easy reading, frankly. It's curious that I have no memory of learning about communism, etc in school.

Maybe I'm derailing a little,lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    Sol ooh that looks exactly like something I would like, and I don't know why you tagged me, but thank you!
    Some time ago we discussed recipes and seems I said that may post later a recipe of meat with prunes which I like.

> Maybe it's fate! I don't remember exactly where you're from? Russia?

yes

> Also, I've been considering how I don't know much about that part of the globe (Russia and Eastern Europe) and wondering what to read?

About Russia I'd recommend to watch popular movies made in USSR since 1930s end to ~1986. This represents the main part of today culture (of people >30 yo). Among possible sources is sovietmoviesonline and youtube [2]. Can be useful English talking travellers shows by TV and bloggers.
    To history materials it's good to be critical, - significant parts can be described incorrectly, not whole and allow different interpretations, due to lack of data, politisation, etc.

> It couldn't be too much about dates,wars,boy stuff... it'd need to be easy reading, frankly. It's curious that I have no memory of learning about communism, etc in school.

Political communism was under influence of Karl Marx "Capital", which could be studed in after schools courses.
    Ideology itself is just collectivism (terms as socialism, communism have close sense), which is opposite of individualism of capitalism. It creates more centralised power pointed on interests of a majority, makes more equality for people, better average education, more supports humanistic altruism, leads to lower number of crimial events, etc. Besides USSR, Eastern Europe (including Eastern Germany) and some Asian states as China had a kind of socialism in times of 1945-1989.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Sol thank you! And I took a screenshot of that recipe. Which will be easier to read than the ad-filled websites I find on pinterest lol

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    @Sol thank you! And I took a screenshot of that recipe. Which will be easier to read than the ad-filled websites I find on pinterest lol
    Try browser's ad-blocker alike "uBlock Origin".

The problem of recipes I've noticed on Internet sites, - significant % of bad ones. The similar is with magazines. Those recipes are written by not educated and experienced professionals which better know what they do, so average results can be worse than with recipes from some books or with ones you liked before. People may decribe a recipe incorrectly, may to have subjectively other taste perceptions, may adopt to not best taste and never had other for a comparision, etc.

Also there is a problem of ingredients. Same recipe made with slightly different ingredient may give significantly worse taste. For example, a taste of mayonnaises may differ a lot. Among local mayonnaise I prefer that. In my favorite salad there is 350 g of such sauce - mb 1/3 of the weight. If this component is not good - when you'd don't like to eat it without nothing - this will ruin the whole salad. As the taste of a mayonnaise may differ much, so a recipe should to have said concrete mayonnaise variant, at least. But I doubt you'll find this info in recipes in common. Sometimes people don't expect how much an ingredient with same name may be different. I cooked an apple pie recently with a flour by another producer and I could to notice the difference in this pie - it was a little, but better. Just a simple flour(!). The sorts of apples have more influence, as they differ in more degree. I know which locally sold apples should be alike for better results, but have no idea what may buy people in other shops and places. If to write just "apples" - this may lead to bad results.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Simple Apple Pie

Ingredients:
    Apples (of sour-sweet sorts) - 600 g (~4 pcs)
    Flour - 250 ml
    Sugar - 200-250 ml
    Eggs - 3 pcs
    Milk butter 82% - 60 g
    Baking form

Cooking:
    Hot up an oven up to 180°C (356°F).
    Grease the surface of the baking dish with 10g piece of the butter. Cut off the center of apples with seeds. Then cut apples to smaller pieces and place them into the baking form.
    Sift the flour through a sieve. Mix flour, sugar and eggs until liquid state.
    Pour the dough evenly over the apples in the baking form.
    Place evenly the butter cuted into small pieces on the top.
    Bake the pie for 60 min. You may check the readiness by a fire match: pierce the pie and pull out - no dough should remain on the match.
    Switch off the fire, partly open the oven and leave the pie there to cool for ~30 min. Separate by a knife pie's borders from the baking form. Place a plate on pie's top and turn over the form so that the pie left on the plate. Cover the pie by 2nd plate and turn over it again so the pie's top was on top at now.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any recommendations for delicious high protein/fat low carb recipes? (anyone?) 25g carb max per serving.

I want something that I will likely stick with
    currently I have loved greek food, I like indian food too and middle eastern food like kebab and their sauces.

in cheeses I love parmesan and I like gouda, white cheddar, gruyere (esp with eggs).

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asd View Post
    Any recommendations for delicious high protein/fat low carb recipes? (anyone?) 25g carb max per serving.

I want something that I will likely stick with
    currently I have loved greek food, I like indian food too and middle eastern food like kebab and their sauces.

in cheeses I love parmesan and I like gouda, white cheddar, gruyere (esp with eggs).
    Broiled wild-caught salmon with either green olives and raw white onion slices or grilled asparagus spears and cherry tomatoes.

1.5” thick steak (Porterhouse, well-marbled with fat), broiled under high heat to “crisp on the outside, rare on the inside“, dusted with salt and pepper just before serving, yam fries with spicy mayonnaise dip, pan-fried tomato slices with grilled mushrooms dusted with Lowry’s Seasoning Salt.

Pound of thick-sliced, no-nitrate bacon from butcher, pan-fried in its own fat and drained, then cooked a bit more until crisp, with two eggs cooked in the bacon fat. Optionally add slices of favorite hard cheese. Glass of heavy whipping cream sweetened with Splenda.

There are lots of recipes in the Atkins Diet book, but a steady diet of high protein/fat low carbs is not really good for you. I did it for a few years and effortlessly lost twenty pounds and felt great until I started intestinal bleeding.

If you want something that you can stick with, try a plant-based, whole food diet.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 02-10-2021 at 02:00 AM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

? why?
    I’m not ENTIRELY sure, but I suspect that the body’s reaction to the high amounts of fat and the constant histamine reaction to the meat, combined with nearly no fiber, just tore up everything inside. The bleeding went on for days, and only stopped when I switched to an entirely plant-based diet. Then, it cleared up instantly and hasn’t recurred.
    Until I was in Chile and all I could find were fish and steak meals. Then, it started again.

Really, people did not evolve eating huge amounts of meat and fat. For most of our evolution, we were on the menu, not others.

Incidentally, I lost twenty pounds minimum, and thirty pounds if you count from my extreme weights, all while “feeling” great. A diet like this is really a low-calorie diet, because after a month, you just don’t want to eat all that much meat and dairy. But you can achieve the same effect by eating bulky and filling plants.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i see. I will research more into it. Unfortunately I don’t really have a choice with the low carb diet due to medical condition and also family history of diabetes.

I will try to include more fibrous carbs in any case
    Yes, @asd, I've felt a lot better since I've started including whole fiber in my diet.

As for diabetes, you can actually reverse it with a plant-based diet. Diabetes is not a result of eating too much sugar, but rather is a result of eating too much fat.
    Read this book, Forks over Knives, diabetes on page 22 & 23: https://www.amazon.com/Forks-Over-Kn.../dp/1615190457
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 02-10-2021 at 05:46 AM.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Poppy Seed Bread

That's what it is called, but it is really a loaf cake. I have been making this for years now and it is a request every Christmas. I make a lot, for gifts. I am going away this weekend and am bringing some for gifts, so I made SIX today. I tripled the recipe below. No easy task because that is a LOT of ingredients. One for neighbor who did us a favor, one for my husband while I am gone, and four to bring and give as gifts (one for my son who loves this). It makes the house smell so nice, and I had a slice, which I shouldn't have. Oh well. Looks like this when sliced:

But just so beautiful right now lined up on the table in the kitchen with its lovely glaze on top. And all the mess cleaned up and away.

The recipe has been around awhile so it was not hard to find the very same recipe online. A great gift recipe. Lots of flavor, always pleases: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/70...ad-with-glaze/
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two recipes I tested out recently for a potluck.

Cashew butter tea biscuits

Changes I made to the recipe:
    - Instead of white rice flour, I used brown
    - I used homemade cashew butter (=pulverised raw unsalted cashews), which does not "flow" as much as store-bought.
    - In addition to grated vanilla bean, I added lime zest.
    - I used star and moon cookie cutters = better than sqaures

Baked Green Pea & Chickpea Falafels

Changes I made to the recipe:
    - Added 3 strands of dill along with the 1/4c parsley
    - Omitted green onion (garlic was pungent enough, I thought)
    - In place of 2 tablespoons of wheat flour I substituted 1 tablespoon each of oat bran and brown rice flour

Both recipes received positive comments, which reminded me of how much more I enjoying cooking when it is for others.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    - I used star and moon cookie cutters = better than sqaures
    On Victory Day (9 May) of USSR I cooked stars cookies too. They were with shredded walnuts and almonds. On one cookie I've drawn sickle and hammer.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast