Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe sharing thread

Creepy-bg

Default Recipe sharing thread

post your favorite recipes for everybody to try out and enjoy. (please respond with s to stuff that sounds good enough to try, or if you loved it after trying so we can keep the interest in posting recipes going.) nevermind... we have 'likes' now.

go.

Creepy-bg

Hot Sandwich (recipe from my Grandma, a family favorite )

1 lb ground beef
    1 can tomato sauce (or soup)
    1 small can mushroom bits
    4-5 green onions, chopped
    1/2 lb Velveeta
    2 T. melted shortening
    1 loaf French bread

Brown + cook the beef. Slice bread lengthwise. Cover each half with cheese. Put cooked beef on top of cheese. Sprinkle mushroom bits and onions on top of beef. Cover with tomato sauce and melted shortening. Place on cookie sheet in oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.

Creepy-bg

Company Chicken (I LOVE this )

4-6 boneless, skinned chicken breasts
    4-6 slices Swiss cheese
    1 can of cream of celery soup (mushroom or cream of chicken may also be used) add 1/4 cup of water to the soup
    1 pkg. "Stove Top Stuffing" mix for chicken

Wrap chicken in cheese slices and place seam side down in 9x13 Baking Dish (Pyrex). Spread soup over top of chicken. Spread "Stuffing" over top of soup. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. cover loosely with aluminum foil if "stuffing" is crusty.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My SEI brother's favorite snack food:

1 banana
    cinnamon-sugar

Peel banana. Place thumb on one end and shove inward. Banana should separate into three sections. Peel sections away from one another. Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    My SEI brother's favorite snack food:

1 banana
    cinnamon-sugar

Peel banana. Place thumb on one end and shove inward. Banana should separate into three sections. Peel sections away from one another. Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
    I wish I could eat bananas (they give me headaches and make my throat close up sometimes )

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like making deserts, like lemon squares or toffee, or french bread in a can, but I use recipes for those and don't have a cookbook with me. So here's an easy recipe.

Tuna Sandwich

2 cans tuna
    mayonaise
    dill relish
    mustard
    bread

Open cans. Drain water from tuna. Scoop tuna into a bowl. Throw away empty cans. Scoop mayonaise in and mix until preferred consistency is reached. Squirt a squirt of mustard, or two if you like mustard. Add relish and mix until preferred consistency is reached. Spread onto bread or toast.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-bg

post the lemon squares and toffee sometime. I don't know what french bread in a can is... but it sounds different

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm your total opposite recipe-wise, Abbie.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    post the lemon squares and toffee sometime. I don't know what french bread in a can is... but it sounds different
    I believe the toffee is...1/2 cup butter melted in a small pot with 3/4 cup brown sugar. Once it's melted, stir rapidly for 7 minutes (I tried less; the toffee turned out kinda powdery), then pour into a small greased pan with chopped nuts (pecan) on the bottom. (I tried without the nuts; it was hard to get out.) If you want, you can sprinkle chocolate chips (mint chips taste funny) over the mixture, cover with a cookie sheet until the chips are soft, then spread them around, cut the toffee into squares, and let it cool.

French bread in a can is just regualr french bread, but baked in a large coffee can. If you double the recipe, don't bake it all in one can. It rises in the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    I think I'm your total opposite recipe-wise, Abbie.
    How so?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite snack is a cored apple filled with crunchy peanut butter.
    LII

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How so?
    Directions - yours are extremely specific. I mean, to the point of adding when to throw away empty cans. Like you were overly planning workflow or something. Unnatural for me. I have a hard time following the "how" of recipes as it is.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Sandwich (recipe from my Grandma, a family favorite )

1 lb ground beef
    1 can tomato sauce (or soup)
    1 small can mushroom bits
    4-5 green onions, chopped
    1/2 lb Velveeta
    2 T. melted shortening
    1 loaf French bread

that sounds good, i may have it for dinner this week
    but aiss if you have a hard time following directions wouldn't it be better that director abbie is being very specific? i will post some of mine when i find my recipes among my very disorganized room...

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    but aiss if you have a hard time following directions wouldn't it be better that director abbie is being very specific?
    I fear you may have misunderstood me. To be plain about it, most of the time I think I know better, or at least have a better idea to try, not that I'm never wrong about it. (And if I don't know, I google and compare anyway rather than trust the recipe. It's amazing how much one can learn from others' mistakes.)

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    I fear you may have misunderstood me. To be plain about it, most of the time I think I know better, or at least have a better idea to try, not that I'm never wrong about it. (And if I don't know, I google and compare anyway rather than trust the recipe. It's amazing how much one can learn from others' mistakes.)
    ah, okay, i get it

My Grandma's Potato Salad
    5 lb. potatoes peeled, boiled, mashed
    8 eggs, hard boiled, chopped
    1 large onion minced
    1 1/2 cups miracle whip
    2-3 tblsp vinegar
    1 tblsp prepared mustard
    1 tblsp sugar
    1 small jar sweet pickle relish
    optional - green hor'douvres olive, green peppers
    paprika

Meatloaf
    5 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    about 16 slices white bread (fine crumbed)
    1 med onion
    1 clove garlic minced
    4 lbs hamburger
    2 lbs italian seasoned sausage
    1 1/2 tsp pepper
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp sage
    Dash chili powder

Beat eggs with milk. Add seasonings, garlic & onion. Mix well. Add bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly. Add layers of hamburger and sausage. Mix well. Pat into large baking pan. I used a rectangular cake pan & made a second meatloaf in a casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees 45 min to 1 hour.
    You can also make meatballs from this recipe.

(speaking of meatloaf, one of my grandmas used to think meatloaf was literally a loaf of meat, nothing else in there...yuck :/)

Red Pepper Gouda Soup
    INGREDIENTS
    2 tablespoons butter
    4 red bell peppers, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    24 fluid ounces chicken broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cups shredded gouda cheese

DIRECTIONS
    Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Place the red bell pepper, onion and garlic in the saucepan and sauté for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
    Pour in the chicken broth, stirring well, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
    Return the liquid to the saucepan over medium low heat. Stir in the heavy cream, the ground black pepper and cheese, and allow to heat through, about 5 to 10 minutes.

i found that online maybe a year ago.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For dinner, I want something fudgier than brownie and brownier than fudge.

How to make?

Very urgent.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    For dinner, I want something fudgier than brownie and brownier than fudge.

How to make?

Very urgent.
    Fudge chunks in brownies.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Red Pepper Gouda Soup
    INGREDIENTS
    2 tablespoons butter
    4 red bell peppers, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    24 fluid ounces chicken broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cups shredded gouda cheese

DIRECTIONS
    Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Place the red bell pepper, onion and garlic in the saucepan and sauté for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
    Pour in the chicken broth, stirring well, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
    Return the liquid to the saucepan over medium low heat. Stir in the heavy cream, the ground black pepper and cheese, and allow to heat through, about 5 to 10 minutes.

i found that online maybe a year ago.
    oh wow. I'm going to try this. I love gouda!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    Fudge chunks...
    How to make?
    ...in brownies.
    How to make?
    ____

I getcha, though.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How to make?
    Buy fudge at the store and chop it up. Use a brownie mix.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. So where do you find 2 lbs of goat rib meat? Certainly not at your local Shop Rite, Superfresh, or Kroger. You'll have to find a speciality store. In NJ, there are speciality stores owned by Haitians, Jamaicans, Arabs, and Dominicans. Goat is a staple in their cuisine, so these ethnicities often carry the meat. Ask them for small cuts so that it is easy to work with.

2. Place the goat meat, chopped shallot, parsley, orange juice, lemon juice, and salt and pepper all in a large pot. Marinate the meat overnight for the best flavor. If you are short on time, 4 hours is sufficient.

3. Place the large pot on the stove over medium-high heat. Add just enough water in the pot to cover the meat. Bring everything to a boil and simmer until tender (about 30-40 minutes).

4. Add vegetable oil to a frying pan. Take the pieces of meat out of large pot one by one and drop them into the frying pan. Do not overcrowd the meat in the frying pan. Fry each side of the meat until it is browned (2 minutes on each side).

5. Place a paper towel on a large plate. Remove the pieces of meat from the frying pan and place them on the paper towel to drain any excess oil.

6. Repeat the frying steps with all of the meat from the large pot. Serve the goat over rice as a meal or by itself as a snack.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fudge. Store. Chop. Brownie Mix.
    Please you to make?

Pizza

Ingredients
    3 cups - White Flour ("OO," "Bread," or "All-Purpose" only -- Whole Wheat tastes like cardboard)
    2 teaspoons - Salt
    1 teaspoon - Active Dry Yeast
    2 teaspoons - Sugar
    1 tablespoon - Olive Oil
    1.5 cups - Water (Warm or Tepid)

1 pound - Whole-Milk Mozzarella Cheese (Grated)
    2-3 tablespoons - Olive Oil
    1 pound - Absurd Goat

Optional Toppings: Basil, Oregano, Fennel, Garlic, Parmigiano-Reggiano

How To Make

1) Dump flour, salt, yeast, and sugar in mixer with dough-hook attached. (If mixer doesn't exist, dump ingredients in bowl and 2 Tylenol in mouth. Pain is coming.) Mix dry ingredients at low speed; add water gradually until there's no dry flour. Let mixture sit a couple minutes (yeast is brewing). Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to dough and knead ten more minutes. If dough sticks too much to bowl after kneading, add pinch(es) of flour until it kneads smooth. If dough is too dry and dense, do the same but with water. Split giant dough-mass into two equal-sized pieces, roll both into balls, coat each with a couple drops of olive oil, and drop into individual ziploc bags. Stick your balls in the fridge overnight (at the very least, a 2-3 days rise is about optimal, 4-5 is still good, 6+ is pushing it but tasty anyway).

2) One hour before pizza-time, set oven to Bake as high as it'll possibly go. (If oven won't break 500F, stop everything. Buy oven.) Thirty minutes before pizza-time, remove balls from fridge and let rise at room-temp. Finally, at pizza-time, drop one dough-ball on a floured surface, flip it to coat, pat off excess, and stretch that thing out. (Tossing in air really does work, but not recommended on the first go-round.) When 12 to 14 inches round, or so, and kinda flat-ish, stop.

3) Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil on the dough and, with your hands, get the whole thing kinda slicked-up. If you want to add any spices (very optional), now's the time to do it. Toss 'em on copiously. Finally, leaving a one-inch border around the outer edge, sprinkle half of the cheese atop the dough. If you want meat (you do), apply now. Transfer fully-topped dough to pizza stone in flamming-hot oven (should've mentioned the stone earlier, sorry) and let it bake until lightly charred in spots. Remove from oven. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for other dough-ball.

4) Repeat above once per day 'til you die.

5) Die.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Maybe I'll try it. Do we have a "print thread" button yet?
    (If oven won't break 500F, stop everything. Buy oven.)
    I would have suggested paying the neighbor a friendly visit.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-bg

Maybe I'll try it. Do we have a "print thread" button yet?
    look in the Thread Tools tab on the top of the thread, there's a "printable thread" option there... I've never used it so I don't know what it does. (I've just been copy/pasting the good recipes and emailing them to my mom (her computer is the one in the house with the printer))

Creepy-bg

...pizza...
    cool. going to try this one too. I've never had a good home-made pizza recipe.

Creepy-bg

CILi should I even attempt it without the stone?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

look in the Thread Tools tab on the top of the thread, there's a "printable thread" option there... I've never used it so I don't know what it does.
    It worked.

CILi should I even attempt it without the stone?
    We have a stone. It makes a great frozen pizza tray. When we make homemade pizza, we just use cookie sheets.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-bg

We have a stone.
    that doesn't help me any.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have suggested paying the neighbor a friendly visit.
    Thought about that too, but kinda doubted they'd buy me one.

Quote Originally Posted by bionicgoat
    Should I even attempt it without the stone?
    Very much yeah. Go for it, anyway.

A couple slabs of unglazed soapstone or quarry tile would probably be your next best bet; but lest you've got a couple of those just sitting in your kitchen, go the skillet route.

Pre-heat a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet on your stove-top until it smokes a bit (3-5 minutes, or so). Place a flattened-out, untopped pizza dough in the skillet, then top with the cheese/olive-oil/spices/etc., and THEN transfer the pizza (skillet and all) to the oven. Oven should be set to BROIL; skillet should be set on highest possible rack in the oven (just barely giving it enough space to actually fit inside). Somewhere between 2-4 minutes later, your char should appear; the pizza comes out; and the eat commences.

NOTE: Unless you're the next Iron Chef, you'll seriously blow the first couple pizzas. Happens to everyone. Ugly as it might look, just laugh it off and enjoy anyway. Pizza's pizza. You can't not smile eating it.

Creepy-bg

Pre-heat a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet on your stove-top until it smokes a bit (3-5 minutes, or so). Place a flattened-out, untopped pizza dough in the skillet, then top with the cheese/olive-oil/spices/etc., and THEN transfer the pizza (skillet and all) to the oven. Oven should be set to BROIL; skillet should be set on highest possible rack in the oven (just barely giving it enough space to actually fit inside). Somewhere between 2-4 minutes later, your char should appear; the pizza comes out; and the eat commences.

NOTE: Unless you're the next Iron Chef, you'll seriously blow the first couple pizzas. Happens to everyone. Ugly as it might look, just laugh it off and enjoy anyway. Pizza's pizza. You can't not smile eating it.
    oh cool! I've heard of the quarry tile thing (I think from a Good Eats episode) but I don't have money or a job to go acquire one with. I do have an iron skillet though!

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Fish and Chips
    One Fish
    Some Chips
    Salt
    Vinegar
    Tomato Ketchup

Lime Surprise
    Limes

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Lime Surprise
    Limes
    what's the surprise?

TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Sausage Hotpot
    2-3 tins of baked beans
    650-750 grams of potatoes (or whatever)
    A pound of sausages (or whatever)
    1 or 2 onions (if you want)
    Salt, Vinegar, Turmeric (or whatever, if you want)

Cut the sausages into pieces, chop the onions - fry them in a frying pan thing.
    Slice the potatoes not too thickly. Fry the slices in a fryer if you have one, for a short time. Otherwise, just put them on top of the beans and the onion and sausage mixture in some casserole dish. Cook everything in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 to 50 minutes or more, depending on how you do things and how things are going, yeah. Put the lid on for the first half, and then take it off for the second half. This is all probably enough for 4 to 6 people.

TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

what's the surprise?
    It only has limes in it.

Creepy-bg

Creepy-bg

that gouda soup was amazing jenna

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the other week my friend and i decided to make lasagna pizza. we used instant pizza dough, boiled bow-tie pasta, and then lined a glass baking dish with the dough, deep-dish style. then a layer of sauce, a light layer of mozzarella cheese, the cooked pasta, more sauce, and then a thicker layer of mozzarella on top... baked in the oven for a while til we thought we burnt it cause the cheese on top looked brown in spots, but it was delicious like that. you gotta eat it with a fork though, not like you'd normally hold a slice of pizza. either way though, it's soo good... and yeah we were pretty high when we came up with the idea.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edible Cookie Dough

2 tbsp Brown Sugar
    2 tbsp White Sugar
    2 tbsp Margarine
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1/3 cup Flour
    Chocolate Chips

Mix sugars and wets then add flour until it thickens. Put in as much chocolate chips as you like. Eat it raw
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yay! by the way you don't really have 24 million posts do you bg? because that is crazy

Creepy-bg

Creepy-bg

bump

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast