701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm supposed to go to sleep; ok, hun, right after this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyb_6hFKLds&feature=plcp
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

http://pinterest.com/acacialungs/trusted-recipes/

i just recently got into collecting recipes so now i'm off to forage through this thread.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chicken Lollipops

I had these once at a party and now that I know what they are called and I want to make this for company sometime!

There is lots of ways to make them and it looks they they get breaded and fried sometimes. I want have the trimmed wings sit long in a savory marinate and then slow bake them. Trimming and turning the wings before marinating is the time consuming part (it takes a LOT of patience, clean hands, sharp knife; chicken needs a vinegar rinse,,then a water rinse wash, then dry, then marinate), but the ingredients are inexpensive, making it a great thing to take the time with for something extra-special for a crowd. They look interesting and inviting all sitting bone up on a plate, its easy to grab with your fingers and interesting to eat. For a party I like a mess of the little ones made from the 2 parts of the wings, rather than the bigger ones from drumsticks..

Here is how different people make them:

First you need a good explanation for how to trim and turn, and some recipes are not thorough enough. This woman does a good job explaining.

Savory

Seasame

A well-done Somali recipe for a stuffed one

Candied bacon-wrapped and smoked! I am without a grill right now, though...

And here is a whole mess of those videos.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dark and Stormy

Dark and Stormy - Dark rum, Barritts Ginger Beer*, fresh lime in a tall glass on ice. So refreshing! SLI and I have been enjoying this these dog days...

[P.S. I was a TEETOLLER most of my adult life and feel free to imbibe now that I am Catholic, but i don't know that many recipes. I enjoyed finding and sharing that recipe with my SLI. I would love to hear anyone's favorite drink recipe! And if you want, what you like to serve with it.]

*Gosling makes a cheaper one but it has HFCS and Barritts has cane sugar instead and I prefer it...

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol I gotta make my entrance in such a domestic thread.

Sweet potato soup with ginger: http://www.health.com/health/recipe/...522520,00.html

I also add one onion, but anything else would kill the taste.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agni View Post
    lol I gotta make my entrance in such a domestic thread.

Sweet potato soup with ginger: http://www.health.com/health/recipe/...522520,00.html

I also add one onion, but anything else would kill the taste.
    Oh, that sounds yummy. (I've just started adding ginger to my food list.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've gotten into bok choy all of a sudden, experimenting with various stir fries.
    This is the simplest and quickest base-level recipe (total prep time ~10min):

1 tablespoon of olive oil
    4-6+ bok choy plantlets (depending on size)
    some minced garlic
    soy sauce (optional)
    ginger (optional)
    cashews, sesame seeds, or shrimp (optional)

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
    Add garlic (and ginger) and cook for <1 minute.
    Note: don't overheat the oil otherwise the garlic is going to turn brown and bitter in taste.
    Add bok choy (either whole or cut into large chunks) and flip it around a bit until it's covered in oil + garlic/ginger mixture.
    Some recipes suggest adding in soy sauce. I simply add salt at the end.
    Add 1-2 tablespoons of water, cover, and let simmer for another 3-5 minutes until cooked.
    Season with cashews, sesame seeds, or cooked shrimp (or keep it simple and eat as is).
    Enjoy with a slice of toasted bread.

Bok choy is at it's best (in season) in winter and high in vitamins C, A, K, calcium and iron.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best Roasted Chicken

I think it really is best. I have been searching for an excellent roast chicken recipe because this often is the thriftiest way to have chicken: whole. This is the America's Test Kitchen recipe, as printed on Chowhound website (You have to join the ATK website if you want to see it there). It dinner tonight!

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/312785?page=all

For the part of butterflying the whole chicken, which you do in order to roast it high and fast and not have it dry out, this was the easiest youtube video to follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soC2ozImWaY

My house smells delicious!

Wow, this is a great way to render a whole chicken flavorful and moist all through. The layer of sliced potatoes (I sliced 5 bakers) placed under the rack that the chicken sits on are needed to soak up fat that drips off and this keeps the dripped off fat from sitting in the very hot pan when the oven is set at 500 for this recipe which smoke up the house as it cooks. The recipe says blot the potatoes, but even with that they remain too heavy with fat, because you have the chicken fat drippings, plus the olive oil, and probably some of the butter. Just over the top. The meat is enough of a treat.

Because the potatoes deters the smoke I will use them but I won't plan on using them for the meal again. In fact I won't bother to peel them, just slice them skinned, and use potatoes with eyes since we won't eat them. We can put them out for the critters. But it is the best roast chicken I ever had, so we will do it this way again.

P.S. @silke, I can't wait to try that bok choy recipe! It looks good!
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 03-31-2015 at 04:25 AM.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bobby Flay's Simple Kale Recipe

Ingredients
    1 1/2 pounds young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
    1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
    Salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Directions
    Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.

Bobby Flay
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singapore Bean Thread Noodles

Ingredients:
    Bean thread noodles
    your choice of meat (I usually use skinless, boneless chicken thighs)
    olive oil
    sliced onion
    sliced veggies (variety, whatever is available & good for stir-fry)
    scrambled egg (prepared in advance; optional)
    yellow curry powder
    fish sauce (can substitute soy sauce or just use salt) - apply sparingly, to taste
    fresh basil leaves

Directions:
    Start soaking a pack of bean threads in water (two packs if they are small).
    Heat up a pot, large frying pan, or wok, add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil.
    When hot, fry your choice of meat until almost done (but not quite).
    Add sliced onion.
    Add chopped/sliced veggies of your choosing (I have used peppers, matchstick carrots, mushrooms of different kinds - shiitake, woodear, portobella, bamboo shoots, kale, spinach, snow peas, and varying permutations thereof)
    Stir fry quickly.
    Add scrambled egg if desired.
    Add some yellow curry powder to the meat + veggies +/- egg. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, or salt to taste. Stirfry quickly.
    Soaking bean threads should be flimsy and hydrated by now. Drain off the water, and throw the bean threads into the stir fry.
    Add more curry powder, to taste. Stir-fry. Check flavor to see if more saltiness is needed, adjust if necessary
    Add a handful of basil leaves, stir-fry just a little bit more, until the bean threads are soft and not crunchy.
    Take off heat.
    Serve with some more fresh basil leaves on top.

This is a really quick and easy dish. I make it fairly often. I find it amazingly good (but full disclosure, i do have an addiction to the flavor of curry).
    Last edited by Suz; 06-14-2015 at 01:12 AM. Reason: added a detail
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Israeli Couscous!

Oh, yum. Has anyone else had this? My brother and his wife made this for me when I visited in March, with grilled fish, and I have not had fish since without remembering it. I have tried couscous, but I do not like the texture of all those tiny grains of pasta. Ick. But Israeli Couscous is SO DIFFERENT. Bigger is better.

I try to keep pasta, rice and bread down to about 3x a week, so, I am picky, and this is couscous makes the cut! I made it tonight to go with chicken and we'll have leftovers on Friday with fish. Successful, easy recipe below!

It can't be found in our little local stores. A bigger store would have it in their international foods section. Like Wegmans, which we don't have around here. You can get a little box at Trader Joe's, which is not close to here. (I make a semi-annual pilgrimage though!). Buy a big bag - pasta keeps - and you will have many affordable delicious meals to come. We have Prime right now, so I ordered this 5 pound baby with that free shipping on Amazon. It came today!!!:
    91WzQwmFEUL._SL1500_.jpg

Now for a recipe (there are lots others):

3 T. olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, crushed.
    1 c. Israeli couscous
    4 c. (1 box) chicken broth
    salt and pepper to taste
    seasoning you like (I like parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme).
    Lemon zest (Bobby Flay puts this on everything!)

In a large heavy-bottomed saute pan, heat garlic on med. high heat; stir in garlic to saute. Add dry couscous. See, it looks looks like beautiful pearls! (That's the other name for it too. You can see why. So pretty!). Now stir it about. Listen to how nice it sounds moving around the pan, and watch while it slowly turns lovely shades of tan and brown while you stir, till its all nicely toasted. Quick, before it burns, pour in the broth and seasonings. Turn up to high, stir, and babysit til it boils. Turn to med.low and simmer 10-12 minutes. Top with a few swipes of fresh lemon zest and serve.

Mmm, good.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds good. This time of the year it would pair well with an ice cold summer shandy.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Simple Cod

Old Bay Seasoning is great for fish and this is an easy recipe:

Old Bay Seasoning Cod Fillet
    "flaky, crispy delicate and delicious"

Ingredients:
    2 cod fillets
    1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    ¼ cup flour
    dash of salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons light olive oil

Directions:
    Preheat sauté pan to high heat.
    Wash and pat dry fish fillets.
    Season with salt and pepper.
    Season with Old Bay and then
    dredge in flour to coat fillets.
    Heat oil and add fillets.
    Saute 2 minutes on one side,
    Turn and sauté 2 minutes more.
    Turn once more and brush with
    Butter before removing to serve.
    Add a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Creepy-theticalanti

@Eliza Thomason When you're not talking about God, you're talking about something that rhymes with God.

looks legit enough to try

wouldnt bake it though

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@kalimera, banana oatmeal is awesome!!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Creepy-bg

Lame Sauce

combine 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup water. pour over toast.

(for a spicy lame sauce substitute milk for water)

Creepy-bg

Noodle Pudding (Kugel?)

Boil and drain 8oz pkg bread noodles

add 3/4 cup sugar to 2 well beaten eggs

add 1 small (8oz?) container of sour cream
    add 1 small container cottage cheese
    add 1 C white raisins (brown ok too)

Put noodles in greased baking pan, pour sauce over noodles pour 1 stick melted butter over all.

bake 45 min in 350 oven

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I got this off allrecipes.com and made it for the second time last night. I didn't really like it so much last time but I think it was because I skipped the lime juice which is apparently essential because I'm loving it right now for lunch.

quinoa black bean salad

1. Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.

2. Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.

3. Combine quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, and green onions together in a bowl. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.

Ingredients
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 limes
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
    1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    5 green onions, finely chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Drommar Cookies (Swedish Dreams)

I asked my Grandmother's friend for this recipe when I was 14. She had a tray full of many home-baked cookies and this was my favorite. So I made them then and I made them again this Christmas, because I wanted something white and light on the cookie plate mix. And I always get requests for this recipe! Its a very basic recipe and super-simple to make. What makes them extra-special is their unusual flaky delicateness, due to the special ingredient, Ammonium Carbonate, which is used instead of baking powder. I used to get it at my local apothacary but they don't carry it around here. So I found it on Amazon. It smells horrible in the dough but bakes off. And, it's Sweden's no.1 favorite cookie recipe.

Ingredients for about 6 dozen:

2 cups all-purpose flour
    ½ tsp salt
    2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
    1½ cups sugar
    1 tsp crushed baker’s ammonium
    ½ tsp almond extract
    1½ cups sweetened flaked coconut.

- Sift or whisk together flour and salt.
    - Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
    - Beat in ammonium carbonate and almond extract until combined well.
    - Mix in flour mixture at low speed just until blended, then stir in coconut.
    - Roll into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300°F.

- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and arrange 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets. (Dough will be crumbly).
    - Bake cookies in batches in upper third of oven until pale golden around edges, 18 to 22 minutes.
    - Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.

IMG_8016.JPG

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best Scalloped Potatoes Recipe

This has become an annual thing, 3 years running now. Everyone LOVES it. Its extremely simple, though peeling and slicing 5 lbs. of potatoes is best with a sous chef helping. Wegmans has the BEST recipes:

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=680876

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Socionics has a lot of relation to Russia, so "true" Socionists need to taste the most advertised by Hollywood the Russian dishes.

Schi (Щи)

Ingredients for 3 litres pan:
    Meat beef brisket, not old and not very young - 800-1000 grams
    Fresh cabbage without stump - 500 g
    Potatoes - 200-250 g
    Onions - 1 pc
    Carrots average, shelled - 1 pc. (~ 100 g)
    Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
    Tomato sauce - 2/3 of tablespoon
    Dried laurel leaf - 1 pc.
    Parsley - 1 bunch.
    Salt - 10-15 g.
    Sour cream. (normal sour cream is the separated cream from natural milk, soured themselves to a paste state after a day in a fridge)

Cooking:
    Place the meat in the pan and keep under cold running water for 5 minutes.
    Pour clean water into the pan to the top.
    Bring to a boil and keep on low fire for 90 minutes.
    Then put the onion chopped by half-rings + shredded carrot.
    After 10 minutes put the cabbage chopped by ~4 cm thin noodles + potatoes chopped by ~4x(0.5-1) cm cuboids + salt.
    Cook this for 40 minutes on low heat. After 30 min of this 40 min put the laurel leaf.
    Tomatoes, shabbied on a coarse grater, put on a frying pan and boil-out on medium fire, with stirring it, until half of the mass ~10 minutes. Then add tomato sauce and stir it, keeping on the fire for 1 minute.
    After the mentioned 40 minutes, put the made tomato mass in the main pan + shredded parsley.
    Cook it for 5 minutes. Turn off the fire and leave under the cover for 15 minutes.

It's good to add 1 tablespoon of sour cream to a plate and to eat with rye bread. Meat from the pan + mustard also combine well with it.
    Schi become better after 12-24 hours in a fridge. It can be stored for 3 days. To warm it next days can be used a microwave.

Borsch (Борщ)

Ingredients for 4 litres pan:
    Meat beef brisket, not old and not too young - 1000 g
    Beetroot - 500 grams (~ 2 pcs)
    Cabbage - 250 g
    Onions - 1 pc
    Carrots average, shelled - (~ 100 gr.) 1 pc.
    Parsley - 1 bunch.
    Dried laurel leaf - 2 pcs.
    Tomato paste - 2 tablespoons
    Vinegar 6% - 1 tablespoon
    Sugar - 1 tablespoon
    Salt - 15 g
    Garlic - 3 cloves
    Sour cream.

Cooking:
    Place whole beets + ​​onion sliced by half rings.
    Remove the beets to cool and then rub it on a coarse grater.
    Put in the pan the cabbage shredded by ~4 cm thin noodles + carrot shredded on a coarse grater + salt + laurel leaves.
    Put shredded beets on frying pan + vinegar + sugar + tomato paste + 100 gramm of bouillon from the main pan, and keep this for 10 min on low fire, with stirring.
    After ~30 min since of putting the cabbage into the main pan, add there the made beet mass. Add the parsley and garlic, squeezed through garlic press.
    Cook it for 5 minutes. Turn off the fire and leave under a cover for 15 minutes.

It's good to add 1 tablespoon of sour cream to a plate and to eat with rye bread.
    Borsch becomes better after 24 hours in a fridge. It can be stored for 3 days.
    Last edited by Sol; 07-04-2016 at 08:41 PM.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Socionics has a lot of relation to Russia, so "true" Socionists need to taste the most advertised by Hollywood the Russian dishes.

Schi (Щи)

Ingredients for 3 litres pan:
    Meat beef brisket, not old and not very young - 800-1000 grams
    Fresh cabbage without stump - 500 g
    Potatoes - 200-250 g
    Onions - 1 pc
    Carrots average, shelled - 1 pc. (~ 100 g)
    Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
    Tomato sauce - 2/3 of tablespoon
    Dried laurel leaf - 1 pc.
    Parsley - 1 bunch.
    Salt - 10-15 g.
    Sour cream. (normal sour cream is the separated cream from natural milk, soured themselves to a paste state after a day in a fridge)

Cooking:
    Then put the onion chopped by half-rings + shredded carrot.
    After 10 minutes put the cabbage chopped by ~4 cm thin noodles + potatoes chopped by ~4x(0.5-1) cm cuboids + salt.
    Cook this for 40 minutes on low heat. After 30 min of this 40 min put the laurel leaf.
    Tomatoes, shabbied on a coarse grater, put on a frying pan and boil-out on medium fire, with stirring it, until half of the mass ~10 minutes. Then add tomato sauce and stir it, keeping on the fire for 1 minute.
    After the mentioned 40 minutes, put the made tomato mass in the main pan + shredded parsley.
    Cook it for 5 minutes. Turn off the fire and leave under the cover for 15 minutes.

It's good to add 1 tablespoon of sour cream to a plate and to eat with rye bread. Meat from the pan + mustard also combine well with it.
    Schi become better after 12-24 hours in a fridge. It can be stored for 3 days.

Borsch (Борщ)

Ingredients for 4 litres pan:
    Meat beef brisket, not old and not too young - 1000 g
    Beetroot - 500 grams (~ 2 pcs)
    Cabbage - 250 g
    Onions - 1 pc
    Carrots average, shelled - (~ 100 gr.) 1 pc.
    Parsley - 1 bunch.
    Dried laurel leaf - 2 pcs.
    Tomato paste - 2 tablespoons
    Vinegar 6% - 1 tablespoon
    Sugar - 1 tablespoon
    Salt - 15 g
    Garlic - 3 cloves
    Sour cream.

Cooking:
    Place whole beets + ​​onion sliced by half rings.
    Remove the beets to cool and then rub it on a coarse grater.
    Put in the pan the cabbage shredded by ~4 cm thin noodles + carrot shredded on a coarse grater + salt + laurel leaves.
    Put shredded beets on frying pan + vinegar + sugar + tomato paste + 100 gramm of bouillon from the main pan, and keep this for 10 min on low fire, with stirring.
    After ~30 min since of putting the cabbage into the main pan, add there the made beet mass. Add the parsley and garlic, squeezed through garlic press.
    Cook it for 5 minutes. Turn off the fire and leave under a cover for 15 minutes.

It's good to add 1 tablespoon of sour cream to a plate and to eat with rye bread.
    Borsch becomes better after 24 hours in a fridge. It can be stored for 3 days.
    These look like great winter recipes! I will have to try them sometime!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Yes, warm and fatty soupes like these ones are better with temperature <10 °C.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    I'll make Borsch for you when I come over. My parents taught me how.
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Popular desserts in Russia.

Blins (Блины)

~25 pcs.

Ingredients:
    Flour - ~500 g (750 ml)
    Milk / water - 600 ml + 200 ml for stired acid
    Eggs - 2 pcs
    Sugar - 1 table spoon
    Salt - 0.5 tea spoon
    Soda - 0.5 tea spoon
    Citric acid - 0.5 tea spoon [replacement: 5% apple vinegar - 1 table spoon or lemon juice of 1/2 pcs]
    Ghee - ~3 table spoon
    For ready-made blinchiks (optional):
    Milk butter (softened) - 90 g
    Sugar - 50 g
    Sour cream - 200 g

Cooking:
    Mix eggs and warm water. Add sugar, salt, soda. Then add flour and stir with a whisk or a mixer. Dilute acid in 200 ml of water, add to the dough and stir.
    Grease the pans with a piece of ghee or fat, it's possibly for each blinchik. Make a blinchik of ~15 cm on medium fire for ~40 sec on both sides until browning. While hot, the finished blinchik is greased with a milk butter and sprinkled with a sugar. Next blinchiks are put in a stack. Blinchiks can be also eaten with sour cream.

Blinchiks (Блинчики) with meat

For ~30 pcs.

- Dough part
    Ingredients:
    Flour - 400 ml
    Eggs - 3 pcs
    Milk - 500 ml
    Sugar - 1 table sp.
    Salt - 0.5 tea sp.
    Sunflower oil - 2 table sp.
    Ghee - 4 table sp.
    Cooking:
    Mix eggs, salt and sugar by a mixer. Add milk + sunflower oil and mix. Then add the flour (through a sieve) and mix it.
    Grease the frying pan by small piece (on a fork) of ghee. Puor the dough on the pan and spread it by round inclining to 15 cm circle of ~1 mm thikness. Keep it on a middle fire for ~1 min until small browning, then turn to other side and do the similar. Place blinchiks as a stack.
    - Minced meat
    Ingredients:
    Beef meat without fat - ~1 kg
    Onions - 400 g
    Milk butter - 90 g
    Sugar - 0.5 tea spoon
    Salt - 1 tea spoon
    Cooking:
    Wash the meat. Put it in 3 litre pan and boil for 2 hours on low fire.
    Place on a frying pan cuted onion + butter, with a stirring, keep it on low fire until onion will become soft (~10 mins).
    Mince cuted boiled meat + fried onion by a meat grinder. During the grinding, add gradually and with a stirring, the meat bouillon 400 ml + salt + sugar and mix it.
    - Dough part + minced meat
    Place ~1 tea spoon of minced meat on a blinchik near its edge, fold top and bottom edges and then roll it. Grease a frying pan by an butter/oil, place several blinchiks keep on middle fire for ~4 min per a side.

Blinchiks (Блинчики)

It's more tender variant of blinchiks.

Ingredients:
    Flour - 400 ml
    Eggs - 3 pcs
    Kefir 3% - 400 ml
    Boiling water (~100 °C) - 400 ml
    Baking soda - ~1 tea spoon
    Salt - 1 tea spoon
    Sugar - 3 table spoons
    Sunflower oil - 2 table spoons
    Ghee - ~4 table spoons (for a frying)
    For additional covering:
    Milk butter - 100 g
    Sugar - 100 ml
    Cooking:
    Eggs + sugar + salt + soda mix by a mixer.
    Add boiling water from a teapot and soon mix it.
    Add the flour (through a sieve) and mix it without clots.
    Add kefir + sunflower oil and mix it.
    Grease the frying pan by small piece (on a fork) of ghee. Puor the dough on the pan and spread it by round inclining to 15 cm circle of ~1 mm thikness. Keep it on a middle fire for ~1 min until small browning, then turn to other side and do the similar. Until the blinckik is hot - grease it with milk butter and cover by a little of sugar. Next blinchiks place above it to make a stack. You may fold each of blinchiks 2 times to get triangles for more convenient taking. Such blinchiks can be eaten as is or be fried.
    Last edited by Sol; 02-26-2021 at 03:17 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I baked chocolate muffins for my mom this morning

Super easy and delicious
    1c. Flour
    1/2 c. Oil
    3/4 cup chocolate melt this slow heat with the oil
    Any amount of sugar that you want
    Three eggs
    1/2 tsp salt
    And 1tsp baking powder
    Beat eggs with sugar and add salt, mix dry ingredients lastly add melted chocolate with the oil and bake 350 and watch it carefully it will burn or over bake fast
    -

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fiber & EFAs oatmeal (gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, soy free. Contains nuts)

1/4 cup of gluten free oatmeal (Quaker Oats brand quick oats)
    1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
    Follow cooking instructions on Quaker oats container (microwave one minute, stir, microwave 30 more seconds)

Add sweetener of choice. I prefer Truvia stevia sweetener. 4 packets is what I use
    1 tbls of coconut oil
    1 tbls of flax seeds
    1 tbls of chia seeds
    1 tbls of hemp seeds
    1/4 (a handful) of chopped raw walnuts
    Stir and enjoy.

On days when I'm pale/anemic I add 1 tbls of organic molasses for digestible, instant iron. I eat this every morning with 2 slices of toasted Ezekiel bread (7 Sprouted Grains) and peanutbutter with coconut oil already mixed in, I forget the brand of it. This breakfast is what I like to get my daily fiber and EFAs. This is what I do for myself and I am not telling anyone how to eat healthy, simply what I do for myself.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hello comrades! Today I am going to share a recipe with you.

(Pic filtered a little. Here I cooked potatoes a little too long, but they were still edible.)

Lamb & associated other things by TOTALISE

Ingredients:
    Lamb chops, or shoulder,
    Potatoes,
    Bell peppers (capsicum),
    Rocket (arugula),
    Salt, pepper,
    Olive oil,

For vinegarette:
    Mustard,
    Anchovies,
    Capers,
    Olive oil,
    Red wine vinegar

First, make vinegarette:

Take bowl, add one tablespoon mustard, teaspoon red wine vinegar. Mix. Add olive oil. Beat up capers and throw in to this bowl. Add also anchovies and stir him a lot, until he becomes vinegarette. Leave to one side. He can be cold.

Then make potatoes:
    Parboil your potatoes in pan with salt and olive oil. When done, take them out, beat them up, add pepper, olive oil, and half a bulb of garlic cut in half, which you put face down in the tray. Depending on size of potatoes you cut (hopefully you didn't cut too big, because it all must fit on the plate) depends how long you cook them for. If the potato is about two inches long, then 35minutes @ gas mark 4. While you do this you can do the main part...

Take lamb:
    Cut them around the edges, with sharp knife or scissors. This stops your chops from "curling" in the pan. Heat up a pan so it's super-hot. Then put oil. If it's smoking, it's hot enough. Before this, season your chops well. Don't play with lamb, just put a lot of salt & pepper, you are not eating chicken or beef, you are eating baby sheep here. It died for you and deserves to be seasoned. Add herbs to pan if you like, you can use thyme, sage, rosemary. Fry them up to a level you like. Baste the oil in the pan over the chops while cooking & make sure you render, so put the fat to the corner and then tilt the pan so all the oil cooks the piece of fat on that chop.

Other shit:
    Rocket. Cut how you like. Same also with peppers. Peppers I eat raw because they are crunchy, but cook if you like.

Serve:
    Put chops on plate (before, you can put them on paper towl to get rid of some oil.) Take potatoes out. You can eat garlic if you know all the words to la marseillais, or you can throw away if you are food-waster. Put potatoes on plate. Then on top put rocket and peppers. Add vinegarette.

Eat:
    At your pleasure.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@totalize I started cooking with store bought curry and I remember you and @Starfall talking about how you guys love curry. I was gonna post a picture of one my dishes here but I wasn't sure if I made it "right" and I was embarrassed (even tho it tastes good..)

either of you guys have any recipes for homemade curry or curry dishes? tips/recommendations?

TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    @totalize I started cooking with store bought curry and I remember you and @Starfall talking about how you guys love curry. I was gonna post a picture of one my dishes here but I wasn't sure if I made it "right" and I was embarrassed (even tho it tastes good..)

either of you guys have any recipes for homemade curry or curry dishes? tips/recommendations?
    Yes Ill post a great one soon.

TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

SPINACH CURRY by TOTALISE

This dish will get you fat. No picture (yet). Do not eat too regularly. Also do not use single cream... I warned you.

Ingredients:
    2 cups double cream
    some kind of meat, chicken I guess
    a bunch of spinach, enough to make about 1-2 cups worth AFTER its blended
    one chicken stock cube
    soy sauce
    oil
    butter
    cinnamon sticks

For curry sauce:
    shallots
    garlic
    ginger
    chillis

Spices as follows:
    Turmeric: 3 TBSP
    Cumin: 1 TBSP
    Coriander: 1 TBSP
    Cinnamon: 1 TBSP
    Nutmeg: 1 TSP
    HOT CHILLI POWDER: 1 TBSP
    Cardamom seeds: 1 TBSP crush if u want
    Black or white pepper: 1 TBSP

Mix that spice combination well.

Prework: This dish can move very fast, if you think it is burning and all preparatory work is not done, you are fucked. So first cut chicken, then in blender create a liquidy-type of paste from the spinach. That must all be ready before you begin.

Make paste: Fry shallots, garlic, ginger, until smells good. Do not burn. Add all spices slowly, so that the spices stick to the shallot-garlic-ginger mix rather than to the pan. Keep stirring while you do or it will burn. Add all spices. Then you can add chillis if you want, if you do not like hot food I suggest do not. This process lasts as long as you think it takes to get it all smelling good and great a solid base.

Add meat: Add your meat and cinnamon sticks. If you want at this point you may add other vegetables, peppers are good. Keep stirring, get all that juicy paste over the meat, but make sure that your meat is cooked before next step (or half cooked if you are using beef. If chicken it should be basically cooked by time you move to next point.)

Add cream: This is the best stage. Add all cream you have, add chicken stock (crumble it) and add soy sauce. Stir for about three minutes, slowly, and then allow it to come to the boil, then cut heat to low. Taste!!! This is your last stage for repairs!!! If too spicy, add a little sugar, perhaps brown, and some water. You will reduce the water off later.

Add spinach:
    Add the spinach paste, stir good. After five minutes, you may choose how thick you want your sauce. If you want LOADS of sauce but watery, you can cook on low heat then serve after maybe ten minutes (keep tasting.) If you want more reduced curry, take your time, reduce it as much as you like, maybe ten minutes on high heat but here you must watch because it will burn at bottom of the pan so keep moving everything.

Serve with rice and coriander leaves.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinach Curry looks nice, @totalize. Maybe I will try it. I am a big fan of spinach, but have not developed a curry taste yet. My husband likes curry, but not spinach. So I would like to try making curry for him, and maybe I will learn to like it.

Your vinegarette looks nice, too! I have not worked with anchovies yet but i recently saw this recipe for Green Goddess Dressing and I want to try it. It looks pretty awesome.

Lamb chops are frequently on our menu at our house. Its one of my favorite quick dinners. I also always cut the sides so they don't curl up. Just makes sense. I also use salt pepper and thyme, a favorite. Also garlic powder, unless I cook it in garlic-infused olive oil, which I do like to keep on hand (and I should start making my own). I have mine with salad or cukes or spinach, and I make with potatoes or garlic bread for my husband because he likes it and I don't push him to change to my diet - which includes not having starch with meat. Its a habit i have adopted, even though i always enjoyed meat with potatoes. It wasn't a hard change to make. (I just tell myself "later" for the starch, then later I am fine and don't want it).

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I always loved spaghetti but I try to avoid pasta most of the time. I do make a great spaghetti recipe I will post later, but this is spaghetti squash. Guilt free. Its much better for you and does not combine starch with meat which is better for your digestion. And if you are a vegetarian, just eliminate the meat.

This is all approximations! No set amounts.

You need:
    1 spaghetti squash
    jar spaghetti sauce
    some Italian hot sausage
    onion
    ricotta cheese
    mozzarella cheese
    parmesan cheese
    Olive oil
    salt ad pepper and garlic

1. Cut the Spaghetti squash into rings. I just discovered this method which is so much better and easier and nicer than cutting in two halves. Its easier to pull the stringy center and seeds out, and you get nice spaghetti-like lengths of squash when its done. More manageable too. Here is an explanation and pics of that. The average squash just 4-5 rings (including the two end-rounds). I cook it at 350 degrees; 30 minutes is good enough.

2. After baking, you might want it to cool for 5 minutes to handle it easier. Pull out the "spaghetti" with the fork, and discard yellow skin. This is easy.

3. Toss the pulled "spaghetti" with some virgin olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese (go easy on salt or eliminate because the p.cheese is salty).

4. Meanwhile remove skin from sausage and saute in pan, add onion and briefly saute together (add pressed fresh garlic if you have it) and then pour in sauce til just heated.

5. Oil a small casserole dish and cover bottom with a thin layer of sauce, then squash, then ricotta, then mozz.ch., then sauce, then repeat if you want, ending with sauce.

6. In oven for 20 minutes, remove, top with more mozz. til it just melts.

Its filling which is nice in the cooler weather, delicious, healthy, budget friendly, what more could you want?

Tips: whenever possible get in the habit of using only sea salt, and also cold-pressed virgin olive oil (esp. when not sauteing) for great taste and good health. Also a good parm.cheese, good spaghetti sauce that tastes good from the jar, and sausage from the butcher without nitrates.)

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Perfect Baked Potato

The humble baked potato, elevated to perfection.

I saw this on America's Test Kitchen, and looked it up here: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/art...t-baked-potato I am going to follow this for tonight's dinner.

That's the long explanation and the how-comes. Here is the simple summary from their link (Step three, performed immediately after second removal from oven, is vital to not having soggy potatoes):

Best Baked Potatoes

INGREDIENTS:
    - Salt and pepper
    - 4(7- to 9-ounce) russet potatoes, unpeeled, each lightly pricked with fork in 6 places
    - 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in 1/2 cup water in large bowl. Place potatoes in bowl and toss so exteriors of potatoes are evenly moistened. Transfer potatoes to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet and bake until center of largest potato registers 205 degrees, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

2. Remove potatoes from oven and brush tops and sides with oil. Return potatoes to oven and continue to bake for 10 minutes.

3. Remove potatoes from oven and, using paring knife, make 2 slits, forming X, in each potato. Using clean dish towel, hold ends and squeeze slightly to push flesh up and out. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

Also from that article:

Why You Shouldn't Microwave Potatoes:
    A microwave might seem like a fast way to “bake” a potato, but we found two reasons why it’s actually the worst approach. First, microwaves heat foods very unevenly, so some parts of the potato might rapidly reach 205 degrees while others get to only 180 degrees. Second, rapidly heating a potato causes pressure to build and cell walls to burst, releasing starch molecules that glue together the broken cell walls.

Actually - just, never microwave!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Salad the layered with nuts

Ingredients:
    Walnuts (shelled) - 100 ml
    Eggs - 5 ps
    Red onion - 1 pc
    Apples (sweet-sour) - 2 pcs
    Cheese - 120 g
    Mayonnaise ("Provencal" 67%) - 350 g
    Wine vinegar 6% - 2 tbsp
    Sugar - 2 tsp
    Water boiled (for the marinade) - 150 g

Cooking:
    Boil the eggs hard for 10 minutes, cool in cold water, cut into ~3 mm pieces.
    Put the nuts on a frying pan, set a small fire, stir it for ~7 minutes until lightly roasted. Then splinter them to ~4 mm pieces (by pressing them by meat mallet).
    Cut the onion into half rings, put it in a colander, put the colander in a plate. Boil a water and immediately pour it on the cuted onion until it all be covered, keep such for 30 seconds. Remove the colander from the plate, drain the water and immediately rinse the onion with cold water.
    Now we are making the marinade. Mix water, vinegar, sugar. Put the onion in the marinade for 4 hours.
    Grate the cheese with a fine grater and mix it with part of the mayonnaise to the state of soft porridge.
    Peel the apples, grate them on a coarse grater and immediately (before they've darkened) mix with 1 tbsp. of the mayonnaise.
    Put the layers on a wide plate:
    1 (bottom) - eggs, grease above 2 tbsp. of the mayonnaise
    2 - marinaded onion
    3 - cheese mixed with the mayonnaise
    4 - apples mixed with the mayonnaise
    Cover the apples layer with the mayonnaise completely. Cover the sides of the salad with the mayonnaise. Sprinkle the nuts on the top and sides.
    Leave the salad in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours to become soaked.

Note:
    The quality of the mayonnaise is very important. It should to have soft and fat taste like a cream, so you'd like to eat it with a boiled egg. There should not be wrong tints like a potate (starch), olive, etc.
    Red onion is recommended as it has lesser bitter taste. Also during the cooking you do several steps to reduce its bitterness.
    Because of the mayonnaise it's high-calorie salad. It's purpose is big holidays. Combines good with white wines.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Sol that looks weird but possibly good. what kind of cheese?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lump View Post
    @Sol that looks weird but possibly good. what kind of cheese?
    The picture is the closest I've found in the Internet. It would look better if to splinter the nuts on lesser pieces and to make the form closer to an ellipsoid. Were used local sorts like that (semi-hard, 50% fat).

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Fried eggs with a bread

Ingredients:
    Wheat bread - 1 loaf
    Eggs - 5 pcs
    Semi-hard cheese - 100 g
    Milk butter - 40 g

Cooking:
    Rub the cheese on a grater.
    Break 1 egg in a plate, mix it by a fork a little.
    Cut 3 pcs of ~1 cm in the height from a bread. Cut off their centers. Wet the bread pieces by each side in the plate with the egg.
    Place a half of the butter on a frypan and then pieces of the bread. Pour out egg's remnants from the plate to the frypan.
    Fry the bread for some minutes until geting a little toasted. Turn the bread upside down. Place 2nd half of the butter on a frypan.
    Place in the center of every bread piece per 1 egg. Last egg place in the center between bread's pieces.
    Cover all by the rubed cheese.
    The dish is ready after the cheese is melted.

shorter variant

Ingredients:
    Wheat bread - 1 loaf
    Eggs - 3 pcs
    Semi-hard cheese - 50-100 g
    Milk butter - 20 g

Cooking:
    Rub the cheese on a grater.
    Cut 2 pcs of ~1 cm in the height from a bread. Cut off their centers and get 2 small ellipse alike pieces.
    Place the butter and later 2 cuted pieces of the bread and 2 smaller pieces on a frypan. Fry them for some minutes until geting a little toasted. Turn the bread upside down.
    Place in the center of every of bread pieces per 1 egg. Last egg place between 2 small bread's pieces or on them.
    Cover all by the rubed cheese.
    The dish is ready after the cheese is melted.

Note: It's important to choose the appropriate cheese as some sorts after the melting get not good taste.
    Last edited by Sol; 08-13-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast