Thread: Final Fantasy VIII: Squall and Rinoa

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    I changed my mind about Rinoa. She's definitely too self-confident to be an ESFJ, or an ISFJ. My assertation now is that she is xSFJ, which means that her functions interact without regard to orientation. (think "super confidence")

She seems to represent Squall's fraternity with his peers, and his evolving relationship with the outside world, which she incarnates.
    Rinoa, who, fell apart when she tried to take on the Sorcerress by herself?

I don't think she's alll that confident. She has willl power to do what is right for her cause, but clealry she doesn't have the confidence that the rest of the SeeDs do when it comes to battle situations.

Your second paragraph I am not so sure about, either. There is a lot of "duality" (for lack of a better word) in FF8. Opposition, conflict, mutual differences. Cid/Edea, Laguna/(and that piano girl-forgot her name), Laguna/Squall, Seifer/Squall, Siefer/Rinoa, Squall/Rinoa, Piano Girl/Rinoa's Dad, Elle/Squall.... And that's not even getting into the other supporting characters.

Also, there is a matter of time, and time compression. Overlaping. Look at the romantic interplay between the Laguna/Squall characters and how it deals with Piano Girl, Elle, Rain, and Rinoa. There are a lot of inferences one can make, going from the different big pictures to the different individual parts.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    I changed my mind about Rinoa. She's definitely too self-confident to be an ESFJ, or an ISFJ. My assertation now is that she is xSFJ, which means that her functions interact without regard to orientation. (think "super confidence")

She seems to represent Squall's fraternity with his peers, and his evolving relationship with the outside world, which she incarnates.
    Rinoa, who, fell apart when she tried to take on the Sorcerress by herself?

I don't think she's alll that confident. She has willl power to do what is right for her cause, but clealry she doesn't have the confidence that the rest of the SeeDs do when it comes to battle situations.
    But she didn't have the experience Squall did either. Nor did she has the objective reasoning skills. It's also worth mentioning that she *did* try to take on the sorceress. She did have confidence in her ability to stop her, but she wasn't able to resist the hypnotic power of the sorceress. (which could be viewed as a "fantastic" example of the IxFP's splitting effect on the superego block, which Rinoa did possess) I've experienced that splitting effect myself, and to the young it does seem like a sort of hypnotism.

Your second paragraph I am not so sure about, either. There is a lot of "duality" (for lack of a better word) in FF8. Opposition, conflict, mutual differences. Cid/Edea, Laguna/(and that piano girl-forgot her name), Laguna/Squall, Seifer/Squall, Siefer/Rinoa, Squall/Rinoa, Piano Girl/Rinoa's Dad, Elle/Squall.... And that's not even getting into the other supporting characters.
    There is a lot of emphasis on relationships. Relationships are the theme of the game in general. (specifically "love", says Square)

Laguna was definitely an ESTJ. I have a cousin who mirrors him in so many ways that in my mind I envisage my cousin instead of Laguna when I'm watching the game. Squall had a pretty typical notion for a young INTJ of an ESTJ: "pathetic."

Squall makes clear that all of his relationships are subordinate to his with Rinoa when he leaves for Esthar by himself, and abandons his duty. What a good dual.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

......... and his dual would be of what type? INTJ ~ ESFJ?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy crap! ff8. i'm going to go play that. does anyone else think using codes in rpgs is perfectly acceptable? I mean, there is really no real reason to master the system of an rpg. basically the only strategy required is to spend time.
    asd

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    holy crap! ff8. i'm going to go play that. does anyone else think using codes in rpgs is perfectly acceptable? I mean, there is really no real reason to master the system of an rpg. basically the only strategy required is to spend time.
    It's perfectly acceptable to use codes. The story is the focus. (from my PoV) Besides, it is a -very- time consuming game to play. I was particularly shocked by how much time I needed to prepare my characters to finish it.

On Wikipedia, there are statements by the designers that Rinoa was designed to look "cute". For her to be "cute" to an average of people would imply that her ego block is undifferentiated; otherwise type relations would limit her "cuteness" among most people. Introverts would be turned off by an apparent avoidance of internal thought, and extroverts might be turned away by introversion. She strikes a balance that only crosstypes can manage at her age. Secondly, she identifies herself with the independence of a nation. Desire for belonging and union with a specific group is a mark of undifferentiated ego.

Creepy-pokeball

You can do whatever the hell ya want. It's single player. There are no other people to consider accept your own being and whether or not you want to challenge yourself or just plain ol' relax.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    It's perfectly acceptable to use codes. The story is the focus. (from my PoV) Besides, it is a -very- time consuming game to play. I was particularly shocked by how much time I needed to prepare my characters to finish it.

On Wikipedia, there are statements by the designers that Rinoa was designed to look "cute". For her to be "cute" to an average of people would imply that her ego block is undifferentiated; otherwise type relations would limit her "cuteness" among most people. Introverts would be turned off by an apparent avoidance of internal thought, and extroverts might be turned away by introversion. She strikes a balance that only crosstypes can manage at her age. Secondly, she identifies herself with the independence of a nation. Desire for belonging and union with a specific group is a mark of undifferentiated ego.
    In other words, bullcrap.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-pokeball

I cannot believe you guys are arguing a game toon

Creepy-pokeball

FF3 was awesome. Terra and Gau were my favorites.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what the fuck. It would have been so much easier to just make her a whore.

Think about it, the following things go completely out of focus when there is a whore present:

undifferentiated ego blocks
    introversion
    extroversion
    crosstypes
    independance of a nation
    specific group
    is
    a
    the
    asd

Creepy-

Hmm...

Rinoa - I really wonder what her type was.
    She 'rebelled' against her father - General Caraway.

But there is an ESFj I know that "rebelled" against her own family, moving from the country into the city. (even though she is still very close with her family, and traditional etc etc).

Perhaps "Rinoa" isn't ESFj, though - maybe xSFj as you said before. She was very confident in all situations-- the dance scene, leading the rebel forces... except when she was alone.

==========

update

Hmm-- going by Gulenko's erotic attitudes, I really don't see Squall an an agressor, and Rinoa seems very much like an "careful", as opposed to "victim".

However, the IxTJ / ExFj "duality(?)" Might be reasonable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't played the any FF game yet, but I've watched Advent Children. We're pretty much settled that Sephiroth is an INTj, but I'm Cloud screams ISTp. Logicality, social awkwardness, "down-to-earth" natures & hidden agenda/inferior Fe. I'm gonna be giving more input maybe next week as I have to secure the data for any possible argument to come. And by the way, Squall has that same vibe as for youtube vids. There's a vibe of confidence in both INTj and ISTp stereotypes, but INTjs also give off a condescending/arrogant vibe.

I see a similar scenario in Church. My INTj friends label some of my ISTp friends as INTj. It's kind of funny. They share similar traits...and traits that you see yourselves in doesn't mean it's exclusive to only your stereotype. Now here's the tricky part. They seemingly share many traits... but really INTj say more, ISTp say less...

TIM
    EII Sx/Sp 9w1 (954)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edea: EII
    Cid: LSE
    Ultimecia: LIE?

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought Edea was EIE-Ni. Also makes sense due to intertype with Seifer, who is SLE.

TIM
    EII Sx/Sp 9w1 (954)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    i thought Edea was EIE-Ni. Also makes sense due to intertype with Seifer, who is SLE.
    That Edea was possessed by Ultimecia, so she doesn't count. I'm talking about the Edea you see at the orphanage, the real one.

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squall SLI- Rinoa IEE

Probably the most "boring" FF since it's very Delta and revolves around mechanical upgrades (very Te). I first played this game as a kid and then years later I tried to get my LSI bf to play it with me, but he couldn't get into it because he couldn't identify with Squall. He identified with Cloud and was obsessed with FF VII. It's not a very interesting premise for the game (centered around a school), so I can see why it's not so popular. I have the remastered version and casually started playing it again, but it's kinda slow.
    Last edited by Lolita; 04-08-2021 at 02:37 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah the gameplay system in FF 8 is kind of weird and counter-intuitive- I think I read somewhere it's better to not level up everybody actually and it's more about what you use and save up with the draw command then anything. I never got very far in the game because the battle system kinda rubbed me the wrong way lol. I kinda like the thought of the battle system being Te lol. I remember liking the college/school setting actually & I liked Quistis kinda. Squall/Rinoa bored me to tears though.

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resource acquisition and careful, limited spending is a Delta value. It's not really a game meant for the masses, since Delta is the least populous Quadra.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12