Thread: Books banned in prison

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Books banned in prison

Lists of banned books by state:
    https://www.bookstoprisoners.net/banned-book-lists/

Why did Michigan ban a bunch of books on HTML5?

Texas has banned over 10,000 books, including: Where’s Waldo, The Color Purple, Finding Oprah’s Roots, Freakonomics, National Geographic, and just about every world atlas on the market. Book that isn’t banned in Texas prisons: Hilter’s Mein Kampf

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Lists of banned books by state:
    https://www.bookstoprisoners.net/banned-book-lists/

Why did Michigan ban a bunch of books on HTML5?

Texas has banned over 10,000 books, including: Where’s Waldo, The Color Purple, Finding Oprah’s Roots, Freakonomics, National Geographic, and just about every world atlas on the market. Book that isn’t banned in Texas prisons: Hilter’s Mein Kampf
    Encyclopedia of Italian renaissance is banned in California prisons Probably that Birth of Venus painting that put it on the list.

just about every world atlas on the market
    I just read about this. Because they are big books and can be used for hiding or smuggling things?

Hilter’s Mein Kampf
    Seemed relatively harmless when I tried reading it. Lot's of opinions on history and not very easy to understand. Also antisemitism of course.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Encyclopedia of Italian renaissance is banned in California prisons Probably that Birth of Venus painting that put it on the list.

I just read about this. Because they are big books and can be used for hiding or smuggling things?

Seemed relatively harmless when I tried reading it. Lot's of opinions on history and not very easy to understand. Also antisemitism of course.

The justification for banning atlases - “Maps can facilitate an escape” lol.

Other state prisons have banned Mein Kampf, I guess because the Aryan Brotherhood is one of the largest prison gangs in the country. I think it says something about the Texas state prison system, that they’ve managed to arbitrarily ban so many other books based on the mere potential to cause disruption, and yet Hilter’s book gets a pass, lol.

And yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if they deemed the Birth of Venus too inappropriate for inmates.
    Last edited by Poptart; 10-29-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what books I would read in prison…