Thread: changing roles in relations

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default changing roles in relations

I'm the type of person who tries to be strong and masculine... except with my dual. I feel safe to ask for help, admit that I feel irrationally/illogically upset, or anything else. While he generally hates dealing with emotional people, he likes comforting me because we are so safe and comfortable with eachother. <3

IMO, duality is only the first step. There are 100+ other layers of compatibility beyond duality. It takes a hell of a lot more than just being one of the 16 types to take down all of my defenses and whatnot.

<3 Peter!!!
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I'm the type of person who tries to be strong and masculine... except with my dual. I feel safe to ask for help, admit that I feel irrationally/illogically upset, or anything else. While he generally hates dealing with emotional people, he likes comforting me because we are so safe and comfortable with eachother. <3
    Ah, very interesting. So perhaps things would be a little different if we were actually romantically involved. Right now I don't feel like it's right for me to step over emotional boundaries since we're not. I'm very much like you described yourself...."the type of person who tries to be strong and masculine."
    ISFp, SiFe, , or SEI....whatever we're calling ourselves these days.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    I'm very much like you described yourself...."the type of person who tries to be strong and masculine."
    That is quite interesting. People here seem to think I'm not a feeler because of this.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to note that I've also seen a lot of ISTps act like little pansies... EMBARASSINGLY feelery.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you interested in dating this ENTp Elizabeth?
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....I'm very much like you described yourself...."the type of person who tries to be strong and masculine."
    Maybe it an ISFP thing. When dealing with feeling. Cause I'm that way too. Well and I lift weights too.
    ISFP, SEI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am, but he's got it in his head that he's going to find perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by taz
    ....I'm very much like you described yourself...."the type of person who tries to be strong and masculine."
    Maybe it an ISFP thing. When dealing with feeling. Cause I'm that way too. Well and I lift weights too.
    Yeah, ISFps aren't emotional weaklings.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a fear of intimacy due to a low sense of self worth.

My sister is. She has some mental health issues though. I should start a thread...
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would not surprise me in the slightest bit.

My sister is. She has some mental health issues though. I should start a thread...
    Ah, I see. Interesting. I thought about putting "healthy" in there but didn't.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that a relationship can only be as healthy as the least healthy person in it. If you're still interested in this guy, feed his 6th function. ENTps love warmth, and we're best at providing exactly the type of warmth they like (I'm told it's the non-embarrassing kind). Show him how accepting of yourself you are first, then how accepting of him you are. The ideal type of acceptance in a relationship loves unconditionally but does not enable. It's a delicate balance. The key is to expect him to be exactly who he truly wants to be, ignoring all of the *supposed to's*. It's said that a true friend knows everything about you and loves you anyways... that's the idea... but you also have to love enough point out when a person is hurting themselves. Just encourage him to be the best him he can be. ENTps have weak Fi, so don't pressure him for Fi at all when trying to move things forward... just lead with Fe, he'll follow along when he's ready, and you will be invaluable to him for being the one who inspired him to allow himself to be... himself.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was like that. She even thought I was like that. Then I asked her out. :wink:
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that a relationship can only be as healthy as the least healthy person in it. If you're still interested in this guy, feed his 6th function. ENTps love warmth, and we're best at providing exactly the type of warmth they like (I'm told it's the non-embarrassing kind). Show him how accepting of yourself you are first, then how accepting of him you are. The ideal type of acceptance in a relationship loves unconditionally but does not enable. It's a delicate balance. The key is to expect him to be exactly who he truly wants to be, ignoring all of the *supposed to's*. It's said that a true friend knows everything about you and loves you anyways... that's the idea... but you also have to love enough point out when a person is hurting themselves. Just encourage him to be the best him he can be. ENTps have weak Fi, so don't pressure him for Fi at all when trying to move things forward... just lead with Fe, he'll follow along when he's ready, and you will be invaluable to him for being the one who inspired him to allow himself to be... himself.
    Thanks for the advice, Joy. I do think I offer a lot of warmth, and you're right, he likes it. I've basically tried to remain consistent with him. Not push him too hard in anything. Let him know that I'm there as a friend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    I was like that. She even thought I was like that. Then I asked her out. :wink:
    Haha! So maybe there's a chance after all! Though I won't get my hopes up too high.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, Joy. I do think I offer a lot of warmth, and you're right, he likes it. I've basically tried to remain consistent with him. Not push him too hard in anything. Let him know that I'm there as a friend.
    Plan A): Make him like you. Hang around with him for a while as a "friend," and let him see how much fun you are to be with; trust me, it'll work. It'll take some time before he distinguishes you from the rest of the crowd, but it'll happen with time. After a while, flirt with him, and drop hints that you're interested.

Plan B) Flirt with him openly. If this doesn't provoke a positive response, then revert to plan A.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, he knows I'm interested. We get along great, I'm about the only "real" friend he has right now. He also has some issues going on in his life right now that he needs to get straightened out. Its a weird situation right now.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel free to PM me Elizabeth.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is your father doing while he is out?
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is your father doing while he is out?
    Work and socializing. He is a journalist. My mother wants to retire as early as she can.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you say that your mother's facial expression is generally more or less cheery than most people's? Does she smile a lot?

How does she feel about society's ethical norms?

Does she enjoy entertaining others in her home? What about entertaining strangers?

Does she keep her home nice and tidy and put a lot of effort into chores?

Does your mom get very tense if the specifics of a situation are not yet determined?

Does your mom have a strong desire to experience as much as she can and to enjoy herself as much as possible?

Does your mom seem to have a strong sense of duty/responsibility?

When she jokes, does she joke with a straight face or is she more silly?

Does your mom seem to prefer to relax, or does she seem to keep herself somewhat busy?
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you say that your mother's facial expression is generally more or less cheery than most people's? Does she smile a lot?

How does she feel about society's ethical norms?

Does she enjoy entertaining others in her home? What about entertaining strangers?

Does she keep her home nice and tidy and put a lot of effort into chores?

Does your mom get very tense if the specifics of a situation are not yet determined?

Does your mom have a strong desire to experience as much as she can and to enjoy herself as much as possible?

Does your mom seem to have a strong sense of duty/responsibility?

When she jokes, does she joke with a straight face or is she more silly?

Does your mom seem to prefer to relax, or does she seem to keep herself somewhat busy?
    My mother has guests, she does not entertain anyone.

My mother does not wish to experience as much as she can and enjoy as much as she can. My mother wants SAFETY.

The big thing though is that my mother is NOT an entertainer in any way shape or form. Calling my mother a clown would be the worst possible thing you could ever do.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is she bouncy and smiley and expressive, or does she keep a straight face most of the time?
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is she bouncy and smiley and expressive, or does she keep a straight face most of the time?
    My mother is not bouncy at all. My mother wnts respect more than any other thing in the worl. She wants to be praised about everything and she hardly ever makes compliments. She tries to bring you down by making you feel inadequate and creates low self esteem in you.

She keeps you inside as much as she can, she monopolizes your time as much as she can, she makes you read as much as she can, she doesn't want you to eat, she wants total control of even your smallest movements if she can, and she takes away, steals, all the praise that belongs to you. If she can't take credit for your work she doesn't let you do it, she nakes you cry so that you will need her and she can feel good, she makes you sick on purpose to keep you weak, she keeps you away from girls because she is jealous, she makes you wear uncool clothes so that girls won't like you, she tries to make you crazy so that you have to depend on her to know what is reality and what is not, she uses threats and verbal abuse and puts you down as much as she can, she wants to monopolize all the Se in the house and uses force as much as she possibly can,,

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your mother sounds nothing like an ISFp to me.

ISFjs often have a very characteristic facial expression that usually shows alertness and readiness to resist. Sometimes their regular facial expression may show dissatisfaction, a critical disposition or even anger. When ISFjs are thinking they may fix their eyes to an object or person for a long period. In these cases their eyes may show a look of bewilderment in reflection to the situation they are in. ISFjs can remain in the same position for a long time.

ISFjs normally have slightly thick lips which they normally keep tightly together. Their facial structure is smooth, with a distinct lack of prominent or sharp cheek bones. ISFjs can have very slim and elongated figures as well as full figures with big, wide shoulders. Their clothes are always tidy and often strictly elegant with a touch of officially even when they are not at work.

Where the reviewing of any new project is concerned ISFjs are critical, actively seeking out major defects. They try to analyse the situation logically, objectively and with emotions detachment. ISFjs have a very well developed sense of duty.

ISFjs notice people who do not obey ethical norms. When among friends ISFjs always give their ethical evaluations of other peoples actions. Their quick wit enables them to reply effectively to people with sharp tongues. ISFjs enjoy to play jokes on people by telling them something seemingly serious with a straight face. Staying alone with a person for a long time can make ISFjs feel uncomfortable so does the presence of strangers in their homes.

ISFjs know how to actively defend themselves and those close to them. If they take the responsibility of a persons welfare upon them, they will provide protection and defend the persons interests as if they were their own. When the opportunity to take their revenge arises, they know how to find the most defenceless place for their strike.

ISFjs do not cope well in indefinite situations. They can start panicking easily by worrying incessantly about their situation. They do not like to wait for impending events, the nearer it comes the more tension they accumulate. They tend to release their stress with alcohol or in the company of close friends.

ISFjs like orderliness and cleanliness at home. They rarely tidy up but when they do they do a very thorough job. They are unlikely to go to sleep if they know that they have to finish some duties in their home. They can not simply rest without finding something to busy themselves with. ISFjs likely to judge the work by the quantity of energy spent and not the end result.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these descriptions are from socionics.com

ISFps often have a characteristic stout or chubby, rounded figure. They often have short legs and a bouncy gait, giving the impression of a big springy ball. Their faces are usually smooth and round without any obvious projections. In moments of passionate conversation they can often swallow air like a fish. When ISFps try to explain things, they can move their eyebrows considerably.

ISFps generally appear to be soft-hearted, but can become quite assertive if required. Their facial expression can change suddenly and unexpectedly from friendly one to a stern one, especially when they wish to distance themselves psychologically from someone. ISFps are often inclined to give advise concerning will power and initiative.

ISFps have a well developed aesthetic taste. Their clothes are usually neat, colourful and radiate a warm, comfortable feeling. They like to touch things in order to appreciate their physical qualities. When interacting with others ISFps try to maintain a closeness. They are often outwardly sociable, charming and friendly. They know well how to endear themselves to others and how to make people trust them. They prefer to interact in a democratic fashion, avoiding the spotlight.

ISFps do not usually try to push friendships. If they feel that a person does not want to establish contact with them they do not insist. They usually make just one attempt and if it is not successful they hardly ever try again. They maintain contact only with people that they find interesting. ISFps find it fairly difficult to interact with people that they dislike, even if it goes against their interests. In these situations they lose their personal magnetism, and their speech may become unintelligible.

ISFps enjoy gathering and sharing interacting facts and news. However, they always add a certain degree of colour to their narrative hoping to make it more interesting. This is the reason that ISFps are rarely caught telling a story the same way twice. They can easily talk about a single subject for a considerable amount of time, especially about their recent experiences. They also like to read a variety of newspapers.

ISFps do not like to unload their problems on others. When asked "How are you?" they usually reply that they are fine regardless of weather they are or not. ISFps do not like to make promises. If someone asks them for their help they will often reply "I cannot promise but I will try..." or "If I can..." If they were not able to fulfil a promise they will continually apologise until they feel that they have been forgiven.

ISFps have a strong desire to experience as much as they can and to enjoy themselves as much as possible. They love spending time and having fun with their friends, often joking and playing pranks. They do not like to be the centre of attention, but they also do not like to be too far away from where it is all happening. ISFps behaviour can be so independent and original that they may confuse and bewilder other people. Because of this people can consider ISFps to be light-minded.

ISFps can usually only be productive when working for themselves. In all other cases it is rare for them to work hard. They try their best to avoid strenuous physical exercises wherever possible, unless it is in the course of a particular sporting activity that they enjoy.

Another behavioural pattern peculiar to ISFps is their tendency to try and stay in the middle. To be neither the best or to be the worst. This is the reason that they do not like to openly criticise people and do not get involved in confrontations. ISFps always try to keep well away from bosses and other authoritative figures. They do not like briefings and other boring business meetings. They try to negotiate on an informal level using only safe and reliable acquaintances. ISFps try to maintain peaceful relations with everybody.
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your mother sounds nothing like an ISFp to me.

ISFjs often have a very characteristic facial expression that usually shows alertness and readiness to resist. Sometimes their regular facial expression may show dissatisfaction, a critical disposition or even anger. When ISFjs are thinking they may fix their eyes to an object or person for a long period. In these cases their eyes may show a look of bewilderment in reflection to the situation they are in. ISFjs can remain in the same position for a long time.

ISFjs normally have slightly thick lips which they normally keep tightly together. Their facial structure is smooth, with a distinct lack of prominent or sharp cheek bones. ISFjs can have very slim and elongated figures as well as full figures with big, wide shoulders. Their clothes are always tidy and often strictly elegant with a touch of officially even when they are not at work.

Where the reviewing of any new project is concerned ISFjs are critical, actively seeking out major defects. They try to analyse the situation logically, objectively and with emotions detachment. ISFjs have a very well developed sense of duty.

ISFjs notice people who do not obey ethical norms. When among friends ISFjs always give their ethical evaluations of other peoples actions. Their quick wit enables them to reply effectively to people with sharp tongues. ISFjs enjoy to play jokes on people by telling them something seemingly serious with a straight face. Staying alone with a person for a long time can make ISFjs feel uncomfortable so does the presence of strangers in their homes.

ISFjs know how to actively defend themselves and those close to them. If they take the responsibility of a persons welfare upon them, they will provide protection and defend the persons interests as if they were their own. When the opportunity to take their revenge arises, they know how to find the most defenceless place for their strike.

ISFjs do not cope well in indefinite situations. They can start panicking easily by worrying incessantly about their situation. They do not like to wait for impending events, the nearer it comes the more tension they accumulate. They tend to release their stress with alcohol or in the company of close friends.

ISFjs like orderliness and cleanliness at home. They rarely tidy up but when they do they do a very thorough job. They are unlikely to go to sleep if they know that they have to finish some duties in their home. They can not simply rest without finding something to busy themselves with. ISFjs likely to judge the work by the quantity of energy spent and not the end result.
    ISFP are different from ISFJ

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are too nice, plus ISFPs hide their true selves and make you crazy so that you don't see their evil side.

ISFps can usually only be productive when working for themselves. In all other cases it is rare for them to work hard. They try their best to avoid strenuous physical exercises wherever possible,

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoiding stenuous work is not in itself an indicator that someone is ISFp. From your description, your mother sounds VERY much like an ISFj (and a rather unhealthy person).

In your conflicts with her, did you feel like she was trying to impose her values on you? Did you feel like you can't do anything right, or that there is no way to make her understand your point of view or feelings?
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoiding stenuous work is not in itself an indicator that someone is ISFp. From your description, your mother sounds VERY much like an ISFj (and a rather unhealthy person).

In your conflicts with her, did you feel like she was trying to impose her values on you? Did you feel like you can't do anything right, or that there is no way to make her understand your point of view or feelings?
    My mother is VERY LAZY, ISFJs are not lazy. Their values are healthy, my mother wants you to be dependent on her and she will use anything she can to do that.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being codependent (needing to be needed) is not type related, it's related to a very low sense of self-worth. Being lazy is also a sign of depression, so any type can be lazy if they're not mentally well.
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said, ISFPs believe that their children are their property, Cobain's mother was ISFP, Freud's mother was ISFP, etc.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    My mother is not bouncy at all. My mother wnts respect more than any other thing in the worl. She wants to be praised about everything and she hardly ever makes compliments. She tries to bring you down by making you feel inadequate and creates low self esteem in you.

She keeps you inside as much as she can, she monopolizes your time as much as she can, she makes you read as much as she can, she doesn't want you to eat, she wants total control of even your smallest movements if she can, and she takes away, steals, all the praise that belongs to you. If she can't take credit for your work she doesn't let you do it, she nakes you cry so that you will need her and she can feel good, she makes you sick on purpose to keep you weak, she keeps you away from girls because she is jealous, she makes you wear uncool clothes so that girls won't like you, she tries to make you crazy so that you have to depend on her to know what is reality and what is not, she uses threats and verbal abuse and puts you down as much as she can, she wants to monopolize all the Se in the house and uses force as much as she possibly can,,
    She is insane - techincally.

Joy: BPD != ISFj.

My mother is ISFj and she is none of the above.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your logic is flawed. Not ALL ISFps believe that their children are their property. Also, you have not met Cobain's mother or Freud's mother. You do not KNOW that they are ISFps. And even if ALL ISFps believe that their children are their propery, it does not mean that all people who believe that their children are their property are ISFps.

All mental illnesses aside... If she is more solemn than bouncy, it is likely that she is an ISFj. If she imposes her beliefs on others, it is more likely that she is an ISFj than it is that she is ISFp. If she is never goofy or silly, it is unlikely that she is an ISFp.
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG

She is insane - techincally.

Joy: BPD != ISFj.

My mother is ISFj and she is none of the above.
    Nope, she is fine, she is ISFP and she does it on puspose because she is lazy and wants us to maintain her completely. She is stupid, but not crazy.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your logic is flawed. Not ALL ISFps believe that their children are their property. Also, you have not met Cobain's mother or Freud's mother. You do not KNOW that they are ISFps. And even if ALL ISFps believe that their children are their propery, it does not mean that all people who believe that their children are their property are ISFps.

All mental illnesses aside... If she is more solemn than bouncy, it is likely that she is an ISFj. If she imposes her beliefs on others, it is more likely that she is an ISFj than it is that she is ISFp. If she is never goofy or silly, it is unlikely that she is an ISFp.
    Joy, no offense but I know my mother, she is ISFP, and I know other ISFPs and they have a tendency to make people crazy on puspose.

As MEtallica sings:

"I am your only true friend now, do my bidding do, take the shame"

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, she is not "crazy", she is mentally unhealthy.
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About ESFPs:

Joy, do you distance yourself from reality when its' too harsh?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know other ISFPs and they have a tendency to make people crazy on puspose.
    I don't do it on purpose.

It sounds to me like you have a very negative idea of what an ISFp is, and anyone you know who is unhealthy in a similar way to your mother you type as ISFp.

Do you know any healthy ISFps? Are there any that you like, or at least get along with?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About ESFPs:

uhhhhhhh I'm not following your thought process here... what does what I said have to do with ESFps?

To answer your question, yes, I detach when things are shitty. I think all types do that.
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About ESFPs:

uhhhhhhh I'm not following your thought process here... what does what I said have to do with ESFps?

To answer your question, yes, I detach when things are shitty. I think all types do that.
    It's the most typical ESFP thing to do, I have seen it first hand, ESFPs sort of freze and become rigid and they seem to me sort of drunk or insensitive to their environment. Usually when they feel thretended physically, or humiliated.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's keep this topic about ENTp/ISFp duality please... or at least ENTps or ISFps. Perhaps post this observation/question in my type thread? Thanks.
    SEE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast