Thread: Duality "Paradox"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Duality "Paradox"

Ok...since three people here (at least) have this problem I decided to make a thread about this.

It seems there are many occasions where people start to think they are actually their dual types i.e. start to "overuse" their dual's main functions and mistake those as their strong functions.

Sometimes this phenomenon can happen because you do not have dual contact and start to compensate that by developing your "dual block".

Sometimes this can happen because you are in close interaction with your identical and one of you starts to use their "dual block" instead of their main functions in order to fill in the role of the missing dual.

Discuss about this phenomena:
    * Why does it exist (practical reasons, theoretical reasons in relation to socionics theory)?
    * When you are confused about which one of the types you actually are what ways there are to figure your real type out? E.g. are PoLR differences reliable way to do this? Can you figure out other "rules of thumb"?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about mistaking your hidden agenda as a relatively strong function and big part of you like Hugo thought in one thread? I'm not so sure how dual seeking function fits in but I once heard people say that in a way they have "two hidden agendas" i.e. dual seeking function and hidden agenda.

So why not possible to mistake yourself as your dual? Other people can probably easily see this is not your true type but can you yourself? Meaning is it more possible to mistype yourself as your dual than perhaps as some other type? I'm still not convinced...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With my situation, I grew up as the oldest child in a family of 5 introverts. My parents gave me a lot of responsibility very young, including helping raise my siblings. My brother was a pretty crazy little kid, and my sister is ISFp. He would always try to hurt her and didn't seem to understand that in fights with siblings, the idea is to cause as much pain possible without leaving any marks or causing actual damage. I had to protect her from him. In addition, my brother and sister both have mental health issues... depression (my dad, too), bi polar, suicide attempts, psychotic breaks, drug and alcohol dependence, and bad relationships. My sister allows herself to be a victim, believing she is helpless. She was always VERY hard on herself, doing what others wanted of her with little or no regard for what she wanted. My parents were both raised in alcoholic homes, so they have little to no concept of "normal", and they are VERY strict Christians. I was homeschooled for a few years as a kid, and even when I was in school, it was a small Christian school that was in another city, and my parents wouldn't drive me anywhere, so I pretty much had no friends. Even if I did, I couldn't go to their houses because my parents thought I'd get molested or something. They also sheltered us from most media/entertainment. I was finally allowed to go to a public school in 9th grade.

The combination of all of the above created a need to protect my siblings from eachother, others, and themselves, stand up to my parents ludacris rules, and somehow try to figure out where I belong in the world after emerging from my overly sheltered childhood. During all of this, I was obviously in a position where I needed to be more assertive than the typical ISFp because fuctions other than Si and Fe were necessary in order to balance out my family and my life. This is why I don't really "fit" any of the types.

BTW, my parents are great. They always did their best, and they love me and my siblings very much. They just didn't really understand what families are generally like.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, I think our dual is how we want to see ourselves. Perhaps this is part of the reason for the confusion among people who type themselves as their dual. Overactive hidden agenda, among other things. Also, there's that whole bit about intelligent people mistyping themselves as NTs.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my situation, I had always needed to use those functions, so I felt I pretty much didn't know who I really was.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it causes that one type has the same unconscious functions than the conscious function of the dual (1st and 2nd equals 5th and 6th). But it differs much within the dual pair. For example no INTp would mistype himself as an ESFp.
    "Wenn der Deutsche in einen Satz taucht, dann hat man ihn die längste Zeit gesehen, bis er auf der anderen Seite des Ozeans wieder auftaucht mit seinem Verb im Mund." - Mark Twain