Hybrid View

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Alphas in formal and serious situations

The question is what do you do when etiquette in a formal situation, like a party, calls you to not laugh, joke, fun or make fun?

If you went to a party and it was not polite to joke around what would you do?
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-23-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    The question is what do you do when etiquette in a formal situation, like a party, calls you to not laugh, joke, fun or make fun?
    I'm polite and tactful when it's needed. How many adults have you observed that have poor table manners or can't recite the collected works of Chaucer in front of a crowd?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    I'm polite and tactful when it's needed. How many adults have you observed that have poor table manners or can't recite the collected works of Chaucer in front of a crowd?
    What type are you?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type are you?
    Whatever you want me to be.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Whatever you want me to be.
    You sound Fe so far, ESE or LSE.
    -

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sound Fe so far, ESE or LSE.
    You may want to edit that post before someone quotes you on that... wait, it's too late already.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then I'm inclined not to laugh, joke or make fun. Sometimes I do, though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the context. I am not sure if I understand what you are asking. Do you have a particular scenario in mind? Sometimes the etiquette is reasonable and other times it is quite absurd in itself. It depends on the reason.

ETA: I cannot believe I'm agreeing with Pinocchio.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ignore it. I am a huge joker by nature. I would prefer to have fun than follow some archaic rulez.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't go. Formal events are stupid.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I know where you're getting at.

I'll say this: I tend avoid situations where I have to "act" a "part" in anyway, shape, or form. I rather be. If I absolutely have to be in a situation where there is unwritten, or written rule for doing things—for whatever reason—I probably (it depends) will stay quiet and be polite (hoping somebody will slip over a banana peal) 'til I get to back home (or a friends house) and eat Cheetos Flamin' Hot chips... with my blazer on.

Do speeches count with your question?

I had fun with the "rules" by breaking them in front of my professor in my speech class last year. I was swearing like hell, that relaxed the entire class though. The professor gave me a big fat warning, but that was fun; not just for me, but my audience too. Ironically, another professor of mine saw my main point for doing so and praised it instead.

Fuck! that was cool.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless I'm there in the capacity of an undercover spy, a better question would be how I failed to avoid attending an event as lame as the one you describe.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really understand the question because I don't need to joke all the time. Etiquette is usually not a problem for me. I automatically go with the flow and melt into the situation, whatever it is. Formal situations can actually be quite fun to be in. The only thing that can be a problem is when somebody starts to give me direct orders on how to behave. I take that as an insult because I perfectly trust my ability to adapt to the situation without a manual.

My ESI mother once gave me a handbook on etiquette. I'm surprised she thought I would need it because people always tell me I'm very polite, maybe not polite in a formal way, but still.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    I don't really understand the question because I don't need to joke all the time. Etiquette is usually not a problem for me. I automatically go with the flow and melt into the situation, whatever it is. Formal situations can actually be quite fun to be in. The only thing that can be a problem is when somebody starts to give me direct orders on how to behave. I take that as an insult because I perfectly trust my ability to adapt to the situation without a manual.

My ESI mother once gave me a handbook on etiquette. I'm surprised she thought I would need it because people always tell me I'm very polite, maybe not polite in a formal way, but still.
    What happends when you're at a party and they tell you not to joke around?

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    That's easy. No one ever invites me to stuff anyway.
    You are always welcome to come over and hang out with me; we can catch a vintage fair with my mom; she really enjoys that sort of thing.
    -

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why am I there at that party?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Why am I there at that party?
    You're invited, but you're asked to not be famboyant.
    -

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being there simply by the virtue of being invited is not a reason to be there. So why am I there? What is the occasion?

But I do not think that there would ever be a situation in which someone would feel the need to warn me not to be flamboyant. It's just not generally in my nature to be flamboyant, as my natural inclination is to blend in, not be noticed, or placed in the spotlight.
    Johari Box

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly an invitation like that (specifically asking people not to be flamboyant or joke around) would be quite rude, and a breach of etiquette in and of itself. Proper etiquette never draws attention to other people's breaches of etiquette. (Note that by pointing this out, I am breaching formal etiquette myself. )

A polite invitation might mention something about it being a "formal" party, or a "black-tie event", but the details of how to behave would be left unspoken (unless asked).
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That has never happened. I would never joke so much to disturb the general atmosphere of the party. I cannot do it, even though I sometimes wish I was more of a rebel.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

The point that I was trying to demonstrate here is that ILE and ESE will joke or try to "push the envelope" to make humor in a situation where they are expected by social ettiquette to not, and SEI and LII will not joke in the same situation; by this point, Rubicon, I think that your behavior is not of SEI and closer to ESE and ILE, but I don't see any Ne in you so I would go with ESE, by process of elimination.

There are lot's of other reason's why I eliminated LII and also ILE but that's for another time.
    -

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point that I was trying to demonstrate here is that ILE and ESE will joke or try to "push the envelope" to make humor in a situation where they are expected by social ettiquette to not, and SEI and LII will not joke in the same situation; by this point, Rubicon, I think that your behavior is not of SEI and closer to ESE and ILE, but I don't see any Ne in you so I would go with ESE, by process of elimination.

There are lot's of other reason's why I eliminated LII and also ILE but that's for another time.
    almost right. i think ILE would push the envelope and ESE would kinda think it was funny and would try to figure out how to fold ILE jokes into the general atmosphere. ESE would "help" ILE this way. if ILE went to far, though, ESE would kinda distract ILE, maybe maneuver ILE to a different room or something. all very nicely though. since they get along so well.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that ESEs are far more tactful in formal social situations than you give them credit, because they may not want to disrupt a given emotional atmosphere, even if it discomforts them. Frequently for ESE, the needs of the many out way the needs of the single ESE.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you use Si at a party? What is your natural state like at a party?
    My mood varies a lot. I am the slave of my mood. Sometimes I am bored but later I suddenly get in the mood and start partying. I like it if there is a possibility to dance, because then I can flirt with girls without having to involve in serious discussions (And I usually don't have that much to say). Is dancing about Si? I guess I use Si when I dance. I love to dance.

I love parties, I usually stay late, hoping that there still will be some fun in store for me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would suffer till i could stand it no more.

then i would push the envelope little by little until you could joke.

or, i would leave.

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wiggle some jokes out until people started breaking the social norm and laughing

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    wiggle some jokes out until people started breaking the social norm and laughing
    if it doesn't work easily though, i would cease and desist. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink eh?

ILE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wouldn't be considered a party to me. This would be some type of "meeting" instead. My behavior would coincide with what I'd probably be supposed to do, though, asking me to not to be humorous in any way is kinda like tying my hands behind my back and asking me to play baseball. While I don't go out of my way to laugh, joke, or anything else like that... It's a rather large part of who I am.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the question Maritsa is really trying to ask is: What would you do if you found yourself at a party hosted and attended primarily by Gamma Rationals.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I think the question Maritsa is really trying to ask is: What would you do if you found yourself at a party hosted and attended primarily by Gamma Rationals.
    exactly.

I think that ESEs are far more tactful in formal social situations than you give them credit, because they may not want to disrupt a given emotional atmosphere, even if it discomforts them. Frequently for ESE, the needs of the many out way the needs of the single ESE.
    definitely. the most they would do is as i wrote above. ^

ILE

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamma Rationals? I love messing with LIEs.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don't understand what you're saying here? At my party, I hope there would be lots of laughter and joking, in for fact, that's one of the reasons why I get along with my ESE sister and cousin so well; my dual cousin and I hang out with them regularly for good laughs...they know how to have a good time.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-26-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    -

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand what you're saying here? At my party, I hope there would be lots of laughter and joking, in for fact, that's one of the reasons why I get along with my ESE sister and cousin so well; my dual cousin and I hang out with them regularly for good laughs...they know how to have a good time.
    Are you a Gamma rational? If not, why do you sound so defensive?
    Johari Box

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Are you a Gamma rational? If not, why do you sound so defensive?
    I am not a gamma rational, I don't know how they would act though; my friend is ISFj and she seems like she would have a good time at a party. She is far more emotional then I am, a lot more serious.
    -

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we just immediately thought of a stifling overly polite atmosphere when you brought the question up. something un-alpha, and how would alpha react to that.

ILE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah I don't think ENTjs care about that kind of thing. Actually all democractic extraverts are the "wildest" types, least likely to care about social norms. In fact I think ENTjs descriptions say that ESI check that LIEs jokes are not "out of bounds", or something like that - mostly we ignore those warnings, though - life is too short!

The point that I was trying to demonstrate here is that ILE and ESE will joke or try to "push the envelope" to make humor in a situation where they are expected by social ettiquette to not, and SEI and LII will not joke in the same situatio
    Yeah but that's common among all democratic quadars. ILE-ESE-LIE-SEE are the troublemakers and rule-breakers, SEI-LII-ESI-ILI are the grumbling rule-abiders. Obviously dualized people take up some qualities of their duals so the Es will be less troublemakers and the Is less grumbling, but that's the general nature of these interactions.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    nah I don't think ENTjs care about that kind of thing. Actually all democractic extraverts are the "wildest" types, least likely to care about social norms. In fact I think ENTjs descriptions say that ESI check that LIEs jokes are not "out of bounds", or something like that - mostly we ignore those warnings, though - life is too short!
    Okay then, let's put it this way: which types would be most likely to host and/or attend such a restrained party?
    Quaero Veritas.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay then, let's put it this way: which types would be most likely to host and/or attend such a restrained party?
    I kind of think anal restrained people attend anal restrained parties and the anal can actually be found within any quadra and any type.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISFj-INTp couples, or ESTj-ISFj couples (perhaps ESTj-INFj, but INFjs can become quite wild at parties with people they know well)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTj
    No way. ISTjs are the wildest IJs as far as partying goes

Creepy-

Last edited by Parasite; 10-29-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast