4 20.00%

Thread: What you are vs what you want to be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What you are vs. what you want to be

READ THIS BEFORE ANSWERING

I was wondering if there is any meaningful correlation between what type you most want to be and the type you actually are.

Example:

If you read type descriptions (or function descriptions) then there is probably a type (or maybe several but lets assume one here) that looks like "Wow, I would really much like to be that type but I'm afraid I am not".

So what relation you think that type has with your real type? I have picked several options:

1. Your own type -> well you most likely want to be your own type no?
    2. Your dual type -> maybe you want to be like your dual?
    3. Your conflictor type -> who knows, maybe conflictor sounds like something you would like to be but you can't?
    4. Your supervisor type -> maybe you want to have the strenghts of your supervisor?
    5. Your benefactor type -> how about your benefactor?
    6. Your super-ego type -> maybe your super-ego block is what makes you yearn for more
    7. Some other type (if you choose this explain why) -> maybe some of the other types?
    8. There is no meaningful pattern -> Nah..too dependent on the individual. Some want to be duals, some benefactors, some super-egos etc. There is really no pattern involved.

Edit: hmm..I could have constructed the options differently but it is what it is let's see if anything comes out of this

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked my type... though I have often wondered what it would be like on the otherside (contrary). Holly shit, ! Being apart of everything else! Not having to think! The shear force!

... but then I realize that I entertain myself just fine most of the time...

- ESTps always turn me on (activity relations)
    Silly boy, ESTPs turn everyone on... :wink:
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-

I don't *want* to be any type

I'd like to step into most types shoes for a moment purely out of curiosity, but none more than any other.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What you are vs. what you want to be

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    READ THIS BEFORE ANSWERING

I was wondering if there is any meaningful correlation between what type you most want to be and the type you actually are.

Example:

If you read type descriptions (or function descriptions) then there is probably a type (or maybe several but lets assume one here) that looks like "Wow, I would really much like to be that type but I'm afraid I am not".

So what relation you think that type has with your real type? I have picked several options:

1. Your own type -> well you most likely want to be your own type no?
    2. Your dual type -> maybe you want to be like your dual?
    3. Your conflictor type -> who knows, maybe conflictor sounds like something you would like to be but you can't?
    4. Your supervisor type -> maybe you want to have the strenghts of your supervisor?
    5. Your benefactor type -> how about your benefactor?
    6. Your super-ego type -> maybe your super-ego block is what makes you yearn for more
    7. Some other type (if you choose this explain why) -> maybe some of the other types?
    8. There is no meaningful pattern -> Nah..too dependent on the individual. Some want to be duals, some benefactors, some super-egos etc. There is really no pattern involved.

Edit: hmm..I could have constructed the options differently but it is what it is let's see if anything comes out of this
    For some reason, I'm getting the feeling that you are referring to those who have been or are now confused as to which type they might be. Trying to figure out which type the person might actually be based on what they might wish they were. However, it doesn't seem to be how people are interpreting it, so maybe I'm wrong.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I dream of becoming an ESTp, instead of ENTp. However, only sometimes.
    www.socioniko.net is no longer my site.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    I'd want to be my semi-dual, the ESFp. I will type out an explanation shortly.
    /me uses this as partial confirmation of one of my crazy theories that I never tell anyone about. I am awaiting the explanation.

Uh, interestingly enough I seem to always want to become MORE introverted than I already am. I am highly attracted to passion and never-ending optimism and persistence. I suppose this would point to my dual type, however this is something I love about a person, not something I want to be. Translating these qualities into introversion and tweaking them a bit, I suppose I am split between wanting to be an INTj or an INFj.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What you are vs. what you want to be

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    For some reason, I'm getting the feeling that you are referring to those who have been or are now confused as to which type they might be. Trying to figure out which type the person might actually be based on what they might wish they were. However, it doesn't seem to be how people are interpreting it, so maybe I'm wrong.
    Well that is what I was thinking basically. But the way I worded it was a bit confusing (it was late and everything when I did it ) It is still working reasonably well.

But yes initially I was thinking of a scenario like I have (or rmcnew, Gilligan, ... you name it) who have been searching for their type for some time but can't find it. Now especially in these scenarios is it possible to type yourself based on what type you would most want to live your life as. I mean if you had to choose one type and you would not be "allowed" to change it ever again would you most likely choose the type you really are?

Secondly is this type of thinking useful for everyone. As in instead of thinking "what type is me?" think more like "what type would I like to spend the rest of my life as even if I'm unsure of do I perfectly fit the description?". I know it is way easier for me to choose a type with the latter method. When I think "what am I?" I always find things that don't match and what not (e.g. "I'm a bit like that and I would want to be more like that but perhaps I'm not enough to really match the criteria").

It seems that many people admire their types even in unhealthy doses so in these cases it is obvious that they would choose their own type. But does this go with everyone? If not why not? And is this related to type (as in are the type descriptions biased in a way that promotes some types and discriminates others)?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WARNING: Unsolicited Suggestions

Have you considered looking at each type and asking:
    * what do you admire of that type?
    * how do you relate to what you admire of that type?

* what do you despise of that type?
    * how do you relate to what you despise of that type?

* what part of that type seems to fit with your observations of yourself?
    * which of those do others agree with?
    * which of those do others disagree with?

* what part of that type seems to fit with others' observations of yourself?
    * which of those do you agree with?
    * which of those do you disagree with?

My belief is, asking these questions will
    * illuminate more observations regarding your self
    * illuminate more observations regarding varying types
    * illuminate any biases regarding interpretations of type descriptions

/unsolicited suggestions
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Looks at her previous post*

*Wonders why those in doubt don't do the suggestions on their own*

*Realizes that it's a very ENFp-ish approach*
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to be each and every type for a month or two just to know what it was like That would be a little over a year of identity crisis but it would be interesting.
    I used to just want to be a "normal" person. Which I guess means something like ESTJ, ISTP, ESFP or ESTP something like that. Those types seem to get along in life OK and are what people expect them to be. ESTPs are popular and fun but cause heartache too That would be interesting.
    Ofcourse if I gave up my identity forever Id loose my magic No more insight into the human condition (from the NF perspective) There is such and openness and flexibility with being ENFP. After thinking about the ramifications of being another type I come back to ENFP anyway :wink:

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if you change your type would it still be you in any meaningful sense?
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    But if you change your type would it still be you in any meaningful sense?
    I dont think so. With a new type would come a new perspective, new interest, new ideas and gradually your old memories and who you were before would fall away. This is the way I see it. It would be interesting to find joy in things that used to turn you off or leave you flat.
    The thought of seeing the world through someone elses eyes while maintaining your own identity has always intrigued me though. And not just type but age, sex, nationality, you name it. Or what would happen to someone who had to be me for a year? Would they go crazy?
    What if you could put the whammy on someone who criticized you and make them like you? They would then have to understand what you are going through. The perfect retribution.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The perfect retribution would be to make all the idiots be ENFp for a while? Oh, I like that idea. If only it were possible.

New setting to all the SciFi laser guns. "Kill", "stun", "turn into ENFp".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    The perfect retribution would be to make all the idiots be ENFp for a while? Oh, I like that idea. If only it were possible.

New setting to all the SciFi laser guns. "Kill", "stun", "turn into ENFp".
    Naturally someone is going to pipe in "But all the idiots ARE ENFP" HA Ive stollen their thunder and now I shall zap them! ZZZZZZWArp Mwahahahahhahah! Have a cookie

Topaz

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I get this sort of 'grass-is-greener' feeling whenever I read about IEI's...they seem so much more interesting than I am (although I like my type). I also find IEI women pretty attractive, and I'd imagine being Beta would make my chances with one easier, lol.
    Last edited by suedehead; 02-22-2014 at 10:41 AM.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This time last year I'd be incapable of responding, but for the hell of it, I'm gonna go SLI for a multitude of reasons, the newest amongst them being that I'd get to be Conflictors with this asshole:

p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd wanna be LIE-Te to be honest.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you are
    a stubborn, unmotivated asshole

what you want to be
    a stubborn, motivated asshole (getter)
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.