Thread: The root of all personality disorders

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    That's mental, not personality.

It all has to do with the relation of the vital circuit to the mental. Selfish people do not feel shame, and this results in their attempting to subvert social normatives to their own ends. This in turn leads to ostracism, which leads to their embrace of non-obligational thinking.
    Schizotypal personality disorder, last I checked. It has a huge effect on your personality. Schizoid and aspergers are also classified under schizophrenia according to Wikipedia, and schizoid patients often undergo psychoanalysis.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Schizotypal personality disorder, last I checked. It has a huge effect on your personality. Schizoid and aspergers are also classified under schizophrenia according to Wikipedia, and schizoid patients often undergo psychoanalysis.
    Then Wikipedia disagrees with my textbook. Guess which is correct.

You're referring to Axis I vs Axis II disorders. Personality disorders fall under Axis II.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then Wikipedia disagrees with my textbook. Guess which is correct.

You're referring to Axis I vs Axis II disorders. Personality disorders fall under Axis II.
    Schizotypal and Schizoid are listed under Axis II [1] and fall along the Schizophrenic spectrum.[2]

[1] Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [2] Schizophrenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what you were talking about btw. If you mean "personality" disorders, just say so.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Schizotypal and Schizoid are listed under Axis II [1] and fall along the Schizophrenic spectrum.[2]

[1] Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [2] Schizophrenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what you were talking about btw. If you mean "personality" disorders, just say so.
    Check a book. Wikipedia is not right, it's wrong. I won't say it again. Schizophrenia has nothing to do with either schizotypal or schizoid disorders. Was thought to, but studies failed to show a link.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I've found out: social extremists and antisocial types have a deep dislike for each other. Social extremists prize selflessness and sacrifice; antisocial types prize selfishness and egoism. There is something about a cultural mindset which shapes how a person can and cannot use social processes to achieve their own ends. It varies from culture to culture and as such, it seems like some (socionics) types can get away with more in a culture than others.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check a book. Wikipedia is not right, it's wrong. I won't say it again. Schizophrenia has nothing to do with either schizotypal or schizoid disorders. Was thought to, but studies failed to show a link.
    Do you object to schizotypal being Axis II? because you're missing the point. People don't consistently hallucinate, have magical thinking or feel out of body experiences because of a sense of shame, though that may certainly have a hand, but there is a strong genetic component to the disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Hallowed Wiki
    Although listed in the DSM-IV-TR on Axis II, schizotypal personality disorder is widely understood to be a "schizophrenia spectrum" disorder. Rates of schizotypal PD are much higher in relatives of individuals with schizophrenia than in the relatives of people with other mental illnesses or in people without mentally ill relatives. Technically speaking, schizotypal PD is an "extended phenotype" that helps geneticists track the familial or genetic transmission of the genes that are implicated in schizophrenia[6] There are dozens of studies showing that individuals with schizotypal PD score similar to individuals with schizophrenia on a very wide range of neuropsychological tests. Cognitive deficits in patients with schizotypal PD are very similar to, but somewhat milder than, those for patients with schizophrenia.[7]
    Unless you can disprove that correlation. ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizot...ality_disorder

Sources:

6. Fogelson, D.L., Nuechterlein, K.H., Asarnow, R.F., et al., (2007). Avoidant personality disorder is a separable schizophrenia-spectrum personality disorder even when controlling for the presence of paranoid and schizotypal personality disorders: The UCLA family study. Schizophrenia Research, 91, 192-199.

7. Matsui, M., Sumiyoshi, T., Kato, K., et al., (2004). Neuropsychological profile in patients with schizotypal personality disorder or schizophrenia. Psychological Reports, 94(2), 387-397.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I defer to DSM-IV.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Textbooks have been known to be wrong. A Google search reveals many sources suggesting that schizotypal personality disorder is related to schizophrenia, including this one:
    Schizophrenia Daily News Blog: The Schizophrenia Spectrum

The split between axes doesn't matter - actually, glancing at the axes, the difference between I and II seems to be a matter of severity:
    DSM IV Explained

Axis I Clinical Disorders
    Axis II Personality Disorders and Mental Retardation
    Axis III General Medical Condition
    Axis IV Psychosocial and Environmental Factors
    Axis V Global Assessment of Functioning
    Schizotypal is less severe than schizophrenia? Yep! Doesn't mean they aren't related.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Textbooks have been known to be wrong. A Google search reveals many sources suggesting that schizotypal personality disorder is related to schizophrenia, including this one:
    Schizophrenia Daily News Blog: The Schizophrenia Spectrum

The split between axes doesn't matter - actually, glancing at the axes, the difference between I and II seems to be a matter of severity:

Schizotypal is less severe than schizophrenia? Yep! Doesn't mean they aren't related.
    Hold on now. Cause =/= symptom. Besides, the causes of schizophrenia are completely different, on a neurological level, from schizoid personality disorder. I don't think you're very studied on this Brilliand (I am) and I think that you should get a better grip on the literature before making a conclusion.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you define shame? What causes it and what are its effects?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold on now. Cause =/= symptom. Besides, the causes of schizophrenia are completely different, on a neurological level, from schizoid personality disorder. I don't think you're very studied on this Brilliand (I am) and I think that you should get a better grip on the literature before making a conclusion.
    Hmm... makes sense. I can believe that the causes are unrelated... which would make you right in general. (I can't get a straight answer on this from the Internet, I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt.)

One thing that I wondered about was if schizophrenia in family members might cause schozotypal. If schizotypal is caused by shame, then this makes perfect sense.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari