Thread: INTj: cause, or symptom?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTj: cause, or symptom?

In another thread, Kim (I think--cannot bother to re-check; it does not matter really who did) asked the following:

"What about depressed INTj with zero drive?"

which made me start thinking about the plethora of threads mentioning INTj and depression, together with lack of drive.

From those threads, it would seem that depression and no drive is a natural state of an INTj. This begs the question whether INTjs are naturally depressed, or people test and display characteristics of INTj because they are depressed?

I can only speak of myself, obviously, but when I am depressed (which is vast majority of the time) I do display all such characteristics, and tend to test as INTj. However, when I'm not depressed (it does happen every now and then) my behavior completely changes. However, I have never attempted to analyze myself when I was not feeling depressed.

Is that mere correlation, or does someone think that there could be more to that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's easy for INTj's to get "depressed" because of a general alienation from others and seeing things in ways that others dare not notice. I think being "the most dettached from physical reality type" makes it very easy to feel like your existence isn't valued by others or how you contribute to society.

My advice to INTJs or NTs in general is to learn the traits of Artisans, SPs. Be more impulsive and spontaneous, we already have long-range planning and strategies for life well worked out.

"Depression" is not a universal "disease" in my opinion. The great thing about being "INTj" is that "depression" need not become pathological according to Guardian doctors as it is simply proportional to your happiness. For an "NT" i have found that happiness comes from the following simple formula:

Work to gain a thorough understanding of Mark Hamilton's formula for happiness. That is:

Productive Work
    (the source)

+
    Value Reflection
    (primarily with your romantic love partner)
    (the experience)

= HAPPINESS

A full understanding of the above formula can take months, even years to develop. A full understanding is only developed by putting the formula into practice. When the above happiness formula is applied to all facets of your life, then you are guaranteed to become a mega successful, wealthy and romantic Neotech person.
    If i'm not-happy then i'm not understanding or applying the formula properly. I fully recognise when i'm "depressed" and know exactly how i'm letting myself "go" as it were, say by phoning up someone "special" for counsel when ultimately its for comfort and not for solving problems.

I would say that the more one seeks comfort the harder life becomes, the more business-minded one becomes, the easier life becomes.

Without rationalizing too much further let's consider that "INTj's" are natural forward-planning people hence can become haunted by trying to predict the future and paralysed in the here-and-now as a result. A solution is "mind control" which requires a clear understanding of CURRENT reality vs DESIRED reality with all steps worked out in between and this requires HARD CONCENTRATED THINKING to really discover what you want basically and what you can do every day towards attaining it.
    Remember to keep things simple and not any simpler like Einstein once said.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*kills emo INTj bullshit before it gets started*

ITS BEEN DISCUSSED. GET OVER IT. SOCIALLY INCAPABLE =/= DEPRESSION.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    SOCIALLY INCAPABLE =/= DEPRESSION.
    Does that relate to the popular truth (or myth) that it is not what you know but who you know that matters?

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Transigent
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyc
    I think it's easy for INTj's to get "depressed" because of a general alienation from others and seeing things in ways that others dare not notice. .
    Yeah, if I thought such arrogant and idiotic things, I'd be depressed too.
    AHAHAHAHA

BURN!

See, it's reasons like that which make me proud, and very un-depressed, to be an INTj. I mean, would you really want to go around saying that? ('burn').

INTjs who are depressed (like, negatively emtotions and such), you just don't know how good you've got it. I've been blessed with seeing how much shit people have to deal with from having fucked up people in their lifes and such. But I don't need anyone, and in fact, there's only so much room for others, if you really 'think' about it.

even If depression is some sort of fuel for action, then I still don't agree with it. Apply military tactics to your life and stop whining.

Props about that emo INTj comment.

I mean, I have just as much of a motivational problem as the next INTj, but I see no reason to be "depressed" about things. I can see people being "upset" with themselves because they know they should be doing more than indulging in indolence. But not "down". It's almost too simplistic, or too..... typical, in my book.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Depressed" is too harsh a word i would have to now say. Feeling "down" is pretty normal for anyone and for an INTj like myself it would be rooted in knowing that i have things to do (with my life organised into projects) and knowing damn well on my own authority that i'm indulging in avoidance, my "down" time is actually self-annoyance.

So when i am feeling "down" unnecessarily i have to snap-out of it, re-visit my "next steps" master list and take actions towards my goals by practicing a business mind-set. It's either that or remain stagnant thus unhappy or indifferent, not depressed per se.

"Business is the highest evolution of consciousness, responsibility, and morality. No other living organism is even remotely able to function on a business level. The essences of business are honesty, effort, responsibility, integration, abstraction, conceptualization, objectivity, long-range planning, discipline, thought, control. Business creates essentially every major human value, ranging from the development of consciousness, language, mathematics, the arts, up to the electronic and biogenic revolutions" -- Neo-Tech Discovery
    No time for "depression". No time for "regret". It's results that matter.

A self-leader employs self-discipline, self-thought and self-control in getting things done. Actions beget feelings.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://the16types.info/types-INTJ.php

Any INTj who is depressed about who they are hasn't yet come to terms with his true self. If you are upset because you are comparing yourself to others, that's just being foolish. You don't really want to be like them anyways. Wouldn't you rather be in a league of your own?

I know I would.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    http://the16types.info/types-INTJ.php

Any INTj who is depressed about who they are hasn't yet come to terms with his true self. If you are upset because you are comparing yourself to others, that's just being foolish. You don't really want to be like them anyways. Wouldn't you rather be in a league of your own?

I know I would.
    i think this kind of thinking does in fact work to cheer an INTj up. its hard to convince one of something if its not rational, and its sort of easy to cheer one up if you tell them that feeling bad is not rational (in many cases, not all).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyc
    I think it's easy for INTj's to get "depressed" because of a general alienation from others and seeing things in ways that others dare not notice. .
    Yeah, if I thought such arrogant and idiotic things, I'd be depressed too.
    I'm just throwing this out there, but the red part isnt arrogant, its just different, I may see the world in black and white, its different but it isnt better, nor in my opinion is seeing the world logically all that wonderful, different in ways that most people dont see it at (Because i'm an introvert). From what I see here Diana is that you've put in the connotation of your own lifestyle that living "different" is better, which usually isnt true. Consider that a blind person may not even see the world at all, which is certainly different but actually worse by our standards.[/b]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"seeing things..." referred to , for example, making the idiosyncratically true observation of why, say, a burger shop is located near to a club which gets good business as a result. With as the instinctual 8th function it's litte wonder that i may notice these things and feel the need to talk about it at some point and people can be like, "oh yeah, i didn't really notice that" hence the INTj being quite the perceptive albeit, at times, the quirky one.

The more i put method to the madness of the psyche the more i learn to appreciate my self and what it means to be "me". If i'm acting a way that maybe too "weird" for some people then can i either feel bad and mask it or embrace it and use it to my advantage. Either way no type per se is better or worse then another.