View Poll Results: Do you have mental health problems?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 61.29%
  • No

12 38.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have mental health problems?

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you have mental health problems?

Where do they come from? How do you deal with it?

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most likely yes.
    I haven't been officially diagnosed or anything. But I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety, and avoidant personality disorder (but that's a stretch, I can't claim a personality disorder). And you know, all the issues that come with social anxiety.

I've read online about social anxiety and it does connect with my experoences in life. I was a shy child and as I because closer to being a teenager, it became social anxiety.

I dont feel I was bullied, or abused but everything else adds up.

Well I've dealt with it for most of my life by avoiding people. At some point I was forced to be around people and the symptoms got less severe after a while but it didnt actually go away.

So my way of dealing with it definitely isn't healthy. I just avoid whatever causes it to act up.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally no, but if I spend too much time alone (like sometimes happens during COVID times) I get low-key depressed.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similarly to what Luna said, I haven’t been officially diagnosed but everything adds up in regard to me having dermatillomania, unfortunately. I deal with it by trying (and failing) to stop, I guess; unlike with most mental health issues, it manifests physically and I could stop the outward symptoms at any time if I could muster the self-control. In the mean time, I try to hide the evidence by caking makeup onto my face.

I experience a significant amount of anxiousness in some social situations—more frequently and intensely than I suspect is typical—but I don’t know if I would technically meet the diagnostic requirements of social anxiety. I’m probably just more shy than average.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there's generally a clear boundary between "mental health problems" and a personality. Framing everything as a "mental health" concern pathologizes simply being human; e.g. depression is now seen as an "illness;" something that shouldn't be there, rather than a legitimate and often rational response to certain conditions. Everyone has mental health problems by this standard (which is a good thing for the burgeoning "mental health" industry, but not I think a useful way to think). A better title for this thread IMO would be something like "what is the darker side of you like?"
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 12-30-2021 at 10:32 PM.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Anyone who is interested in typology has a mental health issue.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    SEI • sx9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i was diagnosed with major depression, seasonal affective disorder, and both generalized + social anxiety in the years of me being 10-12. both of my parents have been diagnosed with adhd so i probably have that as well or instead idk. as for how i deal with it, i’ve been on medication since elementary school and i’ve tried therapy off and on. otherwise i warn the people i’m close to about my symptoms and always have an open dialogue with them so that i can take any accountability in case i am irritable and snap or get anxious/depressed and disappear etc. sometimes it happens that we talk about it and decide that my instability would be too much for them in their life and that’s okay too. i don’t know it’s all about transparency i think

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My thoughts can get too dark. It's kind of part of me being a IEI-C I think. But the thing with 'mental health problem' is it tends to overly be a Te/Fi value judgement thing. Being caught up in the system as an adolescent with Deltard social workers- I can firmly attest to the truthness of this. Some of them thought I was normal and fine, others thought I was evil incarnate etc or more mentally fucked up than I really was- they just got a self-righteous high thinking they were 'more closer to God' than I was. Most people who judge "mental health" don't really care how healthy you are or not they just want everybody to be a normie Chad or Stacy type person and they can be cruel with you if you aren't a completely average enneagram 3 type of person. The DSM is mostly about a tool for social control- and that chinese proverb about the most tallest unruly nail getting hit the hardest with the Te hammer. This isn't all bad or anything, society by it's necessary design is against the individual. As an IEI tho I have a natural soft spot for the misfit weirdos with magical powers in life compared to Nurse Ratched or Umbridges etc. The line between Genius and Illness can be a thin one!

To me mental health isn't so Fi like that- more like there needs to be more truly objective critiera not a bunch of Deltards psychoanalyzing you and deciding they don't like you because your ethics or values aren't in alignment with what they think they should be etc. This doesn't mean that we allow people to be mentally fucked up or sad- as that obviously leads to bad problems, but that from my Fe/Ti perspective it needs to have better objective logical criteria. Like obviously people chopping up bodies and using them as spices on their dinners would be considered mentally ill- but the people who do that, obviously feel justified themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm nuts lol

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't all bad or anything, society by it's necessary design is against the individual.
    thats a really dark thoughtttt and im not sure if u mean this society in particular or any society would be implicitly by being a society.
    source of my mental health problems is that society is self deceiving. they scapegoat someone when there needs to be a sacrifice to lie to themselvse to feel gooda bout abusing someone. this all comes from a mentality of self gratification instead of self sacrifice for the sake of someone else, the latter of which are the people that get sacrificed. the problem is tht they are not sacrificed to someone who cares about them, and this often translates into the sacrifices having been unnecessary and avoidable in the first place, but someone's immediate pleasure was more important than thinking about how they affect someone else. people are not fundamentally selfish, but the ones who are are the ones who take over and replace the others. live my life to fight but for what, to make it about controlling people like this from exploiting someone whcih fundamentally ruins my life by making it a bout controlling someone else.
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisBB View Post
    I'm nuts lol
    Nice
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm diagnosed with some shit I do not have, which I've had to deal with since 2012. It's part of what it means to be a "targeted individual". I have tried to solve the source of the problem, but I guess it's justo a too difficult endeavor, and I'd prefer to not get killed, since I don't believe the "better to die on your feet than live on your knees" saying, because as long as you are alive, there is always hope, and I know so much at this point, that on the macro level things don't make much sense and I just don't care anymore.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have had anxiety since I was 15, unfortunately it's genetic. I probably also have dysthymia, though I have never been diagnosed. I have had 3 other family members with anxious/OCD symptoms, to the point medication was necessary.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I sometimes see reality too clearly.

Fortunately, there are drugs for that.

Likes being asked questions Relina's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Ne 7w6 sx/sp 748
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    Most likely yes.
    I haven't been officially diagnosed or anything. But I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety, and avoidant personality disorder (but that's a stretch, I can't claim a personality disorder). And you know, all the issues that come with social anxiety.

I've read online about social anxiety and it does connect with my experoences in life. I was a shy child and as I because closer to being a teenager, it became social anxiety.

I dont feel I was bullied, or abused but everything else adds up.

Well I've dealt with it for most of my life by avoiding people. At some point I was forced to be around people and the symptoms got less severe after a while but it didnt actually go away.

So my way of dealing with it definitely isn't healthy. I just avoid whatever causes it to act up.
    I remember I also avoided people when I was younger because I was terrified of rejection/criticism. It seems to have evolved into some schizoid-like nullness where I don't feel anxiety or emotional bonds anymore.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I’m completely sane and healthy I swear!! You have to believe me

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read my posts and you be the judge. With philosophy and religion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Yes but I’m getting fixed
    I deal with it by going to the doc regularly and taking medications
    That's only a "patch". Mental health issues are only fixed permanently by psychotherapy. If I may ask, what is it that you are diagnosed with?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bipolar. Well, in my case I really don't need therapy. I'm okay and I don't need much pep talks and CBT, it's just my brain that needs some fixing through medications. I am happy and fulfilled internally, though when highs and lows hit I couldn't function very well.
    Do you have any childhood trauma (as far as you can recall)?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had bad experiences here and there like a typical child but nothing serious so it’s safe to say none
    Sometimes the person doesn't remember (it became a repressed memory in the subconscious). Those kind of things are most commonly the cause of mental health problems. If this is your case, maybe you'll remember someday if for example you fall in love and experience very strong emotions.

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    Sometimes the person doesn't remember (it became a repressed memory in the subconscious). Those kind of things are most commonly the cause of mental health problems. If this is your case, maybe you'll remember someday if for example you fall in love and experience very strong emotions.
    From a different angle, I think at her age, having some mental issues is pretty normal. Don't even need a serious reason, your mental just need something to struggle and step up, and develop the "self".
    Last edited by Tarnished; 01-06-2022 at 02:07 PM.

TIM
    INTp 4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had mental problems almost all my life. I would think I had first malfunctions in early-to-mid childhood, and when I was in early high school I got diagnosed with depression. It was an on-and-off thing but it was such a huge part of my life now I see my depressive episodes as an integral part of my personality, which probably isn't healthy, but that's how I roll.

Also, in 2015 I got diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. I got a few psychotic breaks in my life when I have increased anxiety and delusions and other typical positive symptoms, but on meds I'm quite alright, even though I had to work super hard to get back what I lost during my illness. I'm pretty sure I can say nowadays, when it comes to my mental state I'm quite similar to what I've been before the illness, even though it changed my life completely and now I know I will never get my old self back, which caused me a few periods of mourning and sadness. Anyway, the worst has passed - I believe the hardest part was to quit the psychotic state and re-learn the world and your own psychology and stuff from scratch, because the moment your first antipsychotic medication hits, you're a shell of a person and you have to be in therapy to work it all through. I'm glad I'm out of that period, because it was truly hell on Earth.
    Formerly known as littleblackcloud!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, flourishing of mental health is a continuous process but trust me I don't have deeper issue than this and I'm quite self-aware of my personal issues lol.
    Alright.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I don't think there's generally a clear boundary between "mental health problems" and a personality. Framing everything as a "mental health" concern pathologizes simply being human; e.g. depression is now seen as an "illness;" something that shouldn't be there, rather than a legitimate and often rational response to certain conditions. Everyone has mental health problems by this standard (which is a good thing for the burgeoning "mental health" industry, but not I think a useful way to think). A better title for this thread IMO would be something like "what is the darker side of you like?"
    That is an entirely different question, and mental health problems are not simply a “darker side” of people. However, it might be helpful if what kind of “mental health” OP wants to know about was specified—as in, whether they're asking about clinical problems or general mental health levels. Psychology is well aware that some things are non-clinical and doesn't treat everything as though it is clinical. Psychology is aware that some things are normal/understandable responses to situations, AKA situational depression, grieving, etc. The first thing many professionals will ask about when you mention depression is whether your life is structured or not. "Do you have a job?" "Do you go to bed at a regular time?" "Do you have a sense of purpose in your life?" Not every kind of depression is clinical or "unjustified," but it's still less than optimal/desirable, and is still something that can and should be worked past. Things are only considered to be a disorder when they are severe enough to interfere with everyday life because they are so extreme/intense/intrusive. Psychology is a science (not a pseudoscience such as typology that you seem to be even more trusting of than a science) that has investigated what distinguishes those levels. I don't mean this in an offensive way, my intention is purely informative when I say this, but to someone who is educated about mental health topics, your post just seems like the average misunderstandings about the mental health field that those who aren't knowledgeable about it have. If you understood mental health topics, you would understand how it addresses these nuances. In other words..."I don't think there's generally a clear boundary between 'mental health problems' and a personality." — that unclear boundary is in your own mind, not in the actual psychology field. The psychology field has studied this ad nauseam. If you learned about the mental health industry, you would better understand those boundaries (because the mental health industry does, it's just that, that is not the impression you have of it because you haven't yet acquired more knowledge about it).

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroplasticity View Post
    In other words..."I don't think there's generally a clear boundary between 'mental health problems' and a personality." — that unclear boundary is in your own mind, not in the actual psychology field. The psychology field has studied this ad nauseam. If you learned about the mental health industry, you would better understand those boundaries (because the mental health industry does, it's just that, that is not the impression you have of it because you haven't yet acquired more knowledge about it).
    Really? From what I've read this is a problem many psychiatrists have raised concerns about. Firstly, I'll grant that some conditions seem clearly to be the result of something going physically wrong in the brain that can't be traced back to anything a patient might have experienced. But even in these situations, a person is their mind. It's generally difficult to distinguish a "condition" like this from who someone is, because the mind for all intents and purposes is what we consider a human.

But then take the example of ADHD or ADD. Why is it assumed that these is, in fact, "disorders?" How would you distinguish them from a personality trait? If your criterion is that they make it difficult for someone to perform well in society, why don't we just consider being SEI a mental illness?

Psychology is aware that some things are normal/understandable responses to situations, AKA situational depression, grieving, etc. The first thing many professionals will ask about when you mention depression is whether your life is structured or not. "Do you have a job?" "Do you go to bed at a regular time?" "Do you have a sense of purpose in your life?" Not every kind of depression is clinical or "unjustified," but it's still less than optimal/desirable, and is still something that can and should be worked past. Things are only considered to be a disorder when they are severe enough to interfere with everyday life because they are so extreme/intense/intrusive. Psychology is a science (not a pseudoscience such as typology that you seem to be even more trusting of than a science) that has investigated what distinguishes those levels.
    The questions I mentioned are philosophical, and cannot be answered by the kind of "science" you're talking about. Modern psychology has mostly dispensed with philosophical inquiry in favor of measuring exclusively observable reality. Take the examples you mentioned. Rather than investigating the reason why someone's life is unstructured, the solution is simply to restructure life. If a patient's life is unstructured because their depression has demonstrated to them a need to investigate existential questions they had previously left unconsidered, the psychologist's advice is to brush those problems aside and simply focus on their material life, neglecting their spiritual one. From the psychologist's perspective they've done their work well; the patient is no longer depressed. But the patient is left spiritually impoverished.

We don't understand our natures well enough to justify the assumptions implicit in advice of this kind. We don't know enough to say that depression is necessarily harmful; we can't say that it should be "cured;" made to go away, as it's usually treated. That's why a psychologist should work with humility, remember the patient's individuality, and try both to understand and work with the patient to approach their problems rather than preach at them or impose a dogmatic formula.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Really? From what I've read this is a problem many psychiatrists have raised concerns about. Firstly, I'll grant that some conditions seem clearly to be the result of something going physically wrong in the brain that can't be traced back to anything a patient might have experienced. But even in these situations, a person is their mind. It's generally difficult to distinguish a "condition" like this from who someone is, because the mind for all intents and purposes is what we consider a human.

But then take the example of ADHD. Why is it assumed that this is, in fact, a "disorder?" How would you distinguish it from a personality trait? If your criterion is that it makes it difficult for someone to perform well in society, why don't we just consider being SEI a mental illness?
    What exactly have you read? It is a question many people have, but it ultimately seems directed toward the professionals who are bad at what they do.

Research it if you want to know the answer to that. I say that because it's not a simple one post kind of answer. There is a ton of information in response. Look up more information about peoples' experiences, that may help you better understand what distinguishes normalcy from a disorder. The short answer, though: your personality traits don't get you fired from jobs, ADHD can.

It's funny, ADHD is one of the most debated, and yet one of the disorders with the most research and evidence (including neurological).

The questions I mentioned are philosophical, and cannot be answered by the kind of "science" you're talking about. Modern psychology has mostly dispensed with philosophical inquiry in favor of measuring exclusively observable reality.
    That's actually untrue as well. A lot of psychology originates as theory/philosophy, but is further researched, with empirical data collected, etc. and then it becomes accepted as a science. The field involves a lot of theory, which is much of why I am able to recognize how important theory is (despite the fact that I can't fucking stand working with it myself, haha).

Take the examples you mentioned. Rather than investigating the reason why someone's life is unstructured, the solution is simply to restructure life.
    This is fallacious. Asking whether or not it's unstructured is not intrinsically the same thing as neglecting to ask why it's unstructured. In practice, during therapy sessions, the reasons why it's unstructured would probably almost always be covered, as it's often impossible to resolve a problem without understanding why it's there.

If a patient's life is unstructured because their depression has demonstrated to them a need to investigate existential questions they had previously left unconsidered, the psychologist's advice is to brush those problems aside and simply focus on their material life, neglecting their spiritual one. From the psychologist's perspective they've done their work well; the patient is no longer depressed. But the patient is left spiritually impoverished.
    This is also a fallacious argument. Your statement A) Suggests that in order to investigate existential questions, the person's life MUST be unstructured; B) Assumes the psychologist's resolution would be to brush that aside; C) The end result would be to neglect the spiritual life.

When I read this, the first thing that comes to mind is that, if the "spiritual life" is interfering with the material one, it would indicate that there is an imbalance between the time delegated to the material/spiritual. That would be, if anything, all the more reason why the structure would be needed, as it would allow the patient to delegate time to both of them without it creating depression issues in their life.

We don't understand our natures well enough to justify the assumptions implicit in advice of this kind. We don't know enough to say that depression is necessarily harmful; we can't say that it should be "cured;" made to go away, as it's usually treated. That's why a psychologist should work with humility, remember the patient's individuality, and try both to understand and work with the patient to approach their problems rather than preach at them or impose a dogmatic formula.
    A more accurate statement would be that you don't know, not that we (humans) don't know, as there is a knowledge base that has a much better idea of it than you do. Again, your points expose that you're simply misunderstanding because you're not educated about this topic. There are many things that have room for improvement in the field, and no shortage of "professionals" that are bad at what they do, unfortunately, but the mental health field itself is not unable to give adequate responses for your skepticism.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

I come from a family tree with several generations of abuse, and that has compelled me to conduct thorough research into the psychological field for the purpose of self-improvement and sheer curiosity about the unhealthy people I've experienced. I was also a psychology major prior to the abuse interfering with my formal education. (I worked my way into a different career/self-employment instead due to this.) Everyone tells me I should write a book about my life when I share what kinds of experiences I've had. If you know anything about psychology, you likely are aware of how exposure to these kinds of environmental situations tends to cause both mental and physical health problems later in life. Many disorders are epigenetic, meaning, there are dormant genetic susceptibilities that become activated by exposure to certain types of (traumatic) environments. Without those environments, those otherwise dormant disorder vulnerabilities would often never manifest themselves.

Several family members have untreated disorders, such as NPD (one malignant, one covert), Munchhausen's Syndrome, and ADHD. NPD is not genetic, and it's something that forms during developmental years only. Scapegoats are less likely to become narcissists themselves, which is what I was. My brother was more favored and took on some narcissistic traits, but doesn't have NPD. My father's malignant narcissism (which is basically narcissism with traits of psychopathy) has been identified/confirmed by multiple professionals now. I myself have bipolar (the first in my family, which means it's probably caused by the aforementioned environmental factors) and "Inattentive ADHD," which is the updated term for what was formerly known as ADD during the 90's. I was originally diagnosed with ADHD when I was 7, and rediagnosed at age 24. (Since many patients outgrow ADHD, continuing treatment during adulthood requires rediagnosis.) I also have C-PTSD pertaining to multiple types of trauma (flashbacks as though I'm reliving things in the present, etc). I am currently undergoing treatments for everything, and the bipolar symptoms are nonexistent as long as I am on medication.

In the past, I have had several debates with people who were critical of the psychology/psychiatry field(s). During one of these debates, I explained what my personal experiences with bipolar are like. I'll add that here for educational purposes. I am not going to spend time editing it, so bear with the fact that it is still written in the way it was written for its particular context. (In other words, this was a response to what someone else was arguing, but please ignore that aspect of it. This section is just there for the more educational components of it.)
    Buy into what? You really don't get it, do you?

Imagine this for a moment. You're curled up in bed writhing in pain--both physical (somatic) and emotional--and crying for absolutely no reason. You're so fatigued for no reason that you can't even hold up a cell phone to text. Lifting a bottle of water to your mouth feels too heavy. You can't even hold yourself up in the shower, you just feel too weak and exhausted. You're hearing voices tell you what a horrible piece of shit you are, gaslight you, emotionally and verbally abuse you. You feel so hopeless and guilty for no reason that you don't feel worthy of help or know how anyone tolerates you all of a sudden even though 45 minutes ago you were on top of the world, feeling invincible, like fire was flowing through your veins and you could conquer anything. You're trying to think positive thoughts and counter the intrusive pessimism that has suddenly flooded in; you counter one negative thought, only for 5 more to automatically pop up and counter your positive one in an instant. Forget that method. You feel suicidal for no reason; life is a purgatory, why even exist? You feel like an animal wishing someone would let it die, put it out of its misery; you're so intensely low that it's be better to die than continue experiencing all of this. It's sheer pain. You don't want to experience this, so you focus on positive things. You start thinking about goals you want, but...they mean nothing to you. You desire nothing; you feel no pleasure, nothing is rewarding, it's sheer anhedonia. You wonder how or why others seem so capable of doing the most basic things: desiring a relationship, or to start a family, or having a lot of money, or even just traveling or something, because in your mind there's not one goddamn aspect of life that appeals to you; you crave for death. You don't want to hurt the people who care about you, so you hold on, stuck in life, which you experience as a purgatory. To live is to endure, and your most diligent efforts to be positive consistently fall short. Nothing consoles you, nothing eases the pain. You're desperate to feel better, but nothing you try is working. You can't stand to be alive. You stop fighting it--you deserve this just like the voices say. You're hopeless and there's nothing you can possibly hope for except that you'll die soon because nothing in this world appeals to you - you look for the light at the end of the tunnel, but all you can see is emptiness. Everything is hollow, pointless, empty, vain. The light at the end of the tunnel gives you no hope or pleasure, it's just grey.

(Mind you, this is hypomania - mania is much more extreme: ) A few hours later you start to feel better...much better. In fact, you've got so much energy that you can't stop fidgeting or moving around. You feel like running around the block for no reason. The world is at your feet, you're on top of the world. As you go deeper into this state of mind you begin to wonder how or why you ever felt so awful--it was only hours ago, but you can't even remember what it's like to feel that way already. You start trying to explain it. "Maybe I was just being weak," you think, self-assured and convinced you could take on anything. Certainly you wouldn't stand for such weakness now--it's all a matter of willpower and you're ready to take on anything. You're so confident that you welcome challenges, hardships, with a smirk on your face. You're so elated that you can't contain yourself: outbursts of laughter erupt. There's no reason to feel this way, you just simply love life and want to live it to its fullest. You have a plethora of goals and you're determined. You go to the gym, you try to research / educate yourself but you have so much energy that you can't focus enough to process any of it. You go to work--you're the fastest and most productive worker on the team today. The other day the boss was on your case for being too slow. Your shift ends, but you still feel so alive, motivated, and energetic, that you feel like taking on another shift and just making that money because you're just so driven and goal oriented. No extra shifts are available, so you go hit the gym again after having worked a 10 hour shift. When you're done there you go home and work on self-employment stuff--you couldn't possibly sleep if you wanted to anyway, you're still wired, as if your brain and body just won't turn off or slow down. You stay up for the entire night trying to work on your own business, and along the way you apply for some jobs you're way underqualified for, but you don't realize that yet because you're just too confident in your abilities and your value as an employee. You don't actually get much done because you're just so all over the place, but there's fire flowing through your veins and you can't calm or settle down for anything, no matter how hard you try. Your heart is racing--you measure your BPM during a resting state and it's way above normal levels. Your adrenaline is rushing for no reason. You take risks with things you shouldn't because you're so overconfident that you can't even tell there's any risk involved there at all. If anybody tries to stand in the way of your goals they'll regret it. 3 days go by--you still haven't slept a wink, but you're fidgeting with excess energy, so you run around the block again.

A while later you feel yourself dropping like you've just stepped off the side of a cliff. The voices fade in and you fall through several emotional states - calm, then empty and barren, then low, lower, lower, you start crying for no reason, you're in pain. "Shit...dear god, no, not this again..." You fight it, but it's futile. You realize all that confidence you had meant nothing because you don't have control over this. The fatigue and exhaustion kick in...there's no way you can make it through work today. You call out once again, risking losing yet another job, because you just don't have it in you. You sleep almost the entire time for 3 days, but you have nonstop nightmares.

A few days later you're on top of the world again. It lasts a few hours before you sink right back into that same place, but this time you go lower--so low that you tell people goodbye and you attempt.

So, “buy into” what, exactly? That there's hope? That life doesn't always have to be like this? That there's help out there? That dying isn't a better option than being alive because there's a chance to experience normalcy? Consider what--whether your life should be a living hell or you should just take some pills and, worst case scenario, experience some weight gain or chop off a few years from your life? Who gives a shit? You have nothing to lose because even if it killed you now it'd be worth the effort of trying to do something about it. Feeling sorry for yourself isn't even an option, you're so miserable, fatigued, and in pain, that you just can't endure it enough to even feel sorry for yourself and do nothing about it. You can't even get out of bed or function normally in life. Your loss of jobs due to symptoms leaves you homeless on top of it. Meanwhile, next to nobody understands, people you try to explain it to just tell you you're making excuses and using it as a crutch. They say you're just being weak and need to toughen up. They tell you that there's nothing actually wrong with you before they even know what you're experiences are like. "I feel down too sometimes, that's just life, you just deal with it and move on." They don't grasp the severity of things or comprehend how it interferes with everyday life. They don't understand why you can't function when you're like this or how in the world it'd be debilitating.

Now imagine that on top of everything, you go to the doctor and say (these were my actual words the first time I went: ) "Either things change or I die because I can't live like this." Imagine he told me what you just said to consider: "I can't help you with your problems." If that had happened I wouldn't be here today.

Disorder: An illness that disrupts normal physical or mental functions. Oxford English Dictionary. A disorder could be defined as a set of problems, which result in causing significant difficulty, distress, impairment and/or suffering in a person's daily life.

Just because you don't understand that definition doesn't mean it's vague—I understand exactly what it means and what it's like.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 01-06-2022 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you're describing is called Dissociative Amnesia, and all it really indicates is that there was trauma. It doesn't necessarily indicate that there is any PTSD or C-PTSD, which would be the only mental health problems associated with that.

EDIT (Just adding more of my thoughts):
    Trauma can, and often does, cause mental health problems, and there is something called ACE which is a measurement of the LIKELIHOOD (no guarantee) that a person will experience traumatic injuries (mental health disorders) as a result of their experiences. Certain factors, such as HSP, can also cause more vulnerability to trauma (although this sensitivity is linked with both negatives and positives, and they also tend to thrive better in positive environments...which has some interesting relations to studies on neuroplasticity). However, whether or not something causes such injuries has no relevance to whether or not it is recalled. Those who don't show signs of mental health injury usually suffer from more physical health problems instead, though.

In rare cases, the dissociative amnesia pertains to Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), which is where the conscious splits off into separate personalities with separate memory holders as a maladaptive coping mechanism for traumatic injury. However, the existence of this is controversial even amongst professionals, and it isn't proven to be a real phenomenon. Some even argue that the therapy intended to help patients actually creates some of the symptoms. Some also argue that it is a part of BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) rather than its own disorder. However, both of these manifest in ways that interfere with daily life, so they would be apparent regardless of (and even partially because of) the presence of dissociative amnesia.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 01-06-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroplasticity View Post
    What you're describing is called Dissociative Amnesia, and all it really indicates is that there was trauma. It doesn't necessarily indicate that there is any PTSD or C-PTSD, which would be the only mental health problems associated with that.
    Incorrect.

EDIT (Just adding more of my thoughts):
    Trauma can, and often does, cause mental health problems, and there is something called ACE which is a measurement of the LIKELIHOOD (no guarantee) that a person will experience traumatic injuries (mental health disorders) as a result of their experiences. Certain factors, such as HSP, can also cause more vulnerability to trauma (although this sensitivity is linked with both negatives and positives, and they also tend to thrive better in positive environments...which has some interesting relations to studies on neuroplasticity). However, whether or not something causes such injuries has no relevance to whether or not it is recalled. Those who don't show signs of mental health injury usually suffer from more physical health problems instead, though.

In rare cases, the dissociative amnesia pertains to Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), which is where the conscious splits off into separate personalities with separate memory holders as a maladaptive coping mechanism for traumatic injury. However, the existence of this is controversial even amongst professionals, and it isn't proven to be a real phenomenon. Some even argue that the therapy intended to help patients actually creates some of the symptoms.
    I know what I have experienced, and this is that there is a whole bunch of people running around that have some heavy trauma from their childhood repressed. This is the real cause that society seems a zombi cemetery, with people that move around like automatons. Until they remember the trauma, they cannot heal, and they are "proto-persons" (they live dissociated). Sometimes only the emotion associated with the trauma can be recalled; in that case the emotion has to be felt, processed, and accepted. Some people remember it partially, and these are the ones that get labeled "bipolar", "schizophrenic" or "borderline", etc. Some un-repress the trauma thanks to a life experience such as a romance, get circumstantially psychotic (or randomly also, it seems the subconcious chooses the most opportune moment to bring it forward. Alcohol seems to help too), get put on meds by a psychiatrist, and never heal. This is just but a morsel of the truth.
    Last edited by roger557; 01-06-2022 at 10:50 PM.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been formally diagnosed with OCD, Anxiety, Major Depression, and ADHD

I told my therapist about my mom and she agreed with me that she had some pretty bad OCD/anxiety issues. My mother lost a son before I was born. He was only 9 months old and born with Down syndrome, but he died from meningitis. Mom believed he got it from a kid at a dr’s appt.

I don’t know exactly how mom was before, but I could see I her eyes she always had that sad neurotic look. But after losing a kid, she got pregnant with me unexpectedly. My mom was a very anxious high energy person. I seriously think all the tension from being in the womb and hovering over me as a baby (she told me she would often check in tehbnide of the people night to see if I was breathing) really rubbed off on me. And maybe I inherited some of this OCD genetically, or it was just ingrained by behaviors of my mother.

I also had an uncle die when I was 6? I think. He used to come and target shoot behind my grandparents house and I’d hide under the bed because the noise scared me so bad and he would come in and get me and tell me it was ok.

well one day he came in, and I hid from him, because I didn’t want to be tickled. I saw him drink straight from a milk carton and leave. A few hours later the hospital called and I answered. The asked for my grandma and I remember sitting there watching her cry. My uncle had been shot in the head and died.

I think this situation of being told it was alright and it ended up not being alright kinda screwed me up. Not to mention all the morbid details my family went into about the whole situation right in front of me. It might have been the catalyst of my obsession with spirituality and the afterlife. I had extremely disturbing and gory nightmares as a child. And I think all this made me more used to the darker side of life, it became familiar and I didn’t shy from it. it shaped who I am today prob. And I think, along with some genetic predisposition, it prob made me more susceptible to certain mental health problems
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone, even my therapist who's supposed to like me, thinks I'm crazy.

TIM
    all of them
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have disorders; just a general sense of malaise around being a sane person in a world that is anything but.
    forsitan mea potentia increvit nimis

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Why do they?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Why do you think your therapist is supposed to like you?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and it's...I don't know. I started hearing and seeing what looked like movie clips of soldiers life and deaths. It is like watching short glimpses of movies. There is one constant voice that sounds like a crowd of people when he talks and he says he's an angel. I'm very close to him and he holds me while I fall asleep. He is one of the soldiers that died.

I have visions.. I guess that's my brand of schizophrenia.

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I do: Bipolar, ADHD, Autism, BPD
    Highly likely NPD as well since I have many pervasive traits. “Vunerable cerebral narcissism” would probably be a bullseye for me, but that’s an unofficial take.

It’s extremely isolating. I have always been around people who have either outright denied me having these conditions or denied the severity of them, so I try to care for myself by my lonesome and without treatment. My life has a marked pattern of dreadful loneliness which has only served to exacerbate these problems. People with any of these conditions are often viewed as problematic or sometimes monstrous to some extent, so I try to do the prosocial thing and keep all of my issues contained to myself so I don’t ruin things or hurt people, but this self-directed approach just makes me weary. My experience has taught me that I live in a dog-eat-dog world where if you manage to be top dog or if you manage to connect with or manipulate the other dogs, you win and can live selfishly contented ever after. But I continue to ravenously devour my own tail for nourishment, because I have only ever been able to look to my own ass for support.

It’s my own lack of will to be a downright evil son of a bitch that keeps me groveling in the dirt. My unfaltering attempts to be a good and loving influence in people’s lives keeps destroying me because other people seem to be allergic to it. I wonder more and more if I am just being piously self-righteous, and that maybe being a rat bastard is the only way to persevere, but…. that just doesn’t seem right.

If I could find a place of love and belonging, which I believe I am apt to accept, maybe my mental health “problems” wouldn’t be so problematic.

Also, I think a lot of what I said aligns with the beta quadra complex. Interesting.

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who doesn’t?

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PinKDiGiT18 View Post
    Who doesn’t?
    I’m sure plenty such people exist, but you are less likely to bump into them on a forum about a psychological/informational system which is most commonly used for self-awareness and personal growth.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incorrect.

I know what I have experienced, and this is that there is a whole bunch of people running around that have some heavy trauma from their childhood repressed. This is the real cause that society seems a zombi cemetery, with people that move around like automatons. Until they remember the trauma, they cannot heal, and they are "proto-persons" (they live dissociated). Sometimes only the emotion associated with the trauma can be recalled; in that case the emotion has to be felt, processed, and accepted. Some people remember it partially, and these are the ones that get labeled "bipolar", "schizophrenic" or "borderline", etc. Some un-repress the trauma thanks to a life experience such as a romance, get circumstantially psychotic (or randomly also, it seems the subconcious chooses the most opportune moment to bring it forward. Alcohol seems to help too), get put on meds by a psychiatrist, and never heal. This is just but a morsel of the truth.
    That's a morsel of your belief, more accurately. None of that is scientific, and in fact, there's a lot of empirical data that offers quite different explanations than this.

Alcohol tends to overall worsen psychotic symptoms, btw. So does marijuana.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Yes, I do: Bipolar, ADHD, Autism, BPD
    Highly likely NPD as well since I have many pervasive traits. “Vunerable cerebral narcissism” would probably be a bullseye for me, but that’s an unofficial take.

It’s extremely isolating. I have always been around people who have either outright denied me having these conditions or denied the severity of them, so I try to care for myself by my lonesome and without treatment. My life has a marked pattern of dreadful loneliness which has only served to exacerbate these problems. People with any of these conditions are often viewed as problematic or sometimes monstrous to some extent, so I try to do the prosocial thing and keep all of my issues contained to myself so I don’t ruin things or hurt people, but this self-directed approach just makes me weary. My experience has taught me that I live in a dog-eat-dog world where if you manage to be top dog or if you manage to connect with or manipulate the other dogs, you win and can live selfishly contented ever after. But I continue to ravenously devour my own tail for nourishment, because I have only ever been able to look to my own ass for support.

It’s my own lack of will to be a downright evil son of a bitch that keeps me groveling in the dirt. My unfaltering attempts to be a good and loving influence in people’s lives keeps destroying me because other people seem to be allergic to it. I wonder more and more if I am just being piously self-righteous, and that maybe being a rat bastard is the only way to persevere, but…. that just doesn’t seem right.

If I could find a place of love and belonging, which I believe I am apt to accept, maybe my mental health “problems” wouldn’t be so problematic.

Also, I think a lot of what I said aligns with the beta quadra complex. Interesting.
    I would be able to tell you don't have NPD without you saying it's an unofficial take, based on the bolded alone. Narcissists view people as objects and have what is called "cold empathy," which you can just Google if you're interested.

It’s extremely isolating. I have always been around people who have either outright denied me having these conditions or denied the severity of them, so I try to care for myself by my lonesome and without treatment.
    Why do they deny it? Are you self-diagnosing the rest?

I'm not trying to add to the invalidation you feel, just wondering why it's happening. People can be idiots about mental health as well (in fact, the vast majority of people are). I've dealt with shit like this, too. It's nothing personal against you, nor me, nor anyone else...mental illness is just very stigmatized. Someone told me I don't have bipolar "because those people are batshit crazy." I'm formally diagnosed and am successfully being treated by bipolar medication to the point of being symptom free (or, in other words, the fact that bipolar treatment works just confirms I actually have bipolar, lol), so it makes no sense to argue that. That was coming from someone who thought I didn't know what "self-esteem" means because I responded to a comment made about low self-esteem, "I know quite a bit about psychology." She doesn't even know enough to realize self-esteem is part of what the field covers. That's the #1 common denominator in every person I've encountered that is critical of the psychology field as a whole and/or stigmatizes mental illness: their knowledge base about it is founded on stereotypes, rumors, biases, and beliefs they never bothered to confirm with science before accepting them. In other words...knowledge deficits.

EDIT:
    Btw, autistic people have heightened affective empathy, but lack cognitive empathy (thus the difficulties with fitting in and understanding social dynamics); NPD has cognitive empathy, but lacks affective empathy (thus why they see people as objects).
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 01-13-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast