Thread: Dream Interpretation Thread

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dream Interpretation Thread

so i woke up a couple hours ago and i can't go back to sleep. i dreamt that instead of a ribcage, i just had a birdcage in its place (or my ribcage doubled as a birdcage, whatever) and everyone was trying to coax the little yellow bird out from my ribs. and i was upset and telling everyone to fuck off because it really hurt. as they called the little birdie out, its beak would poke through my flesh and everyone was oblivious to it tearing a hole through me. "come here, little bird" and i'm just screaming because the bird is flapping inside my ribcage. i don't think the bird got out, but i can't recall how the dream began or ended, so maybe?

anyway, what does this mean?
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    so i woke up a couple hours ago and i can't go back to sleep. i dreamt that instead of a ribcage, i just had a birdcage in its place (or my ribcage doubled as a birdcage, whatever) and everyone was trying to coax the little yellow bird out from my ribs. and i was upset and telling everyone to fuck off because it really hurt. as they called the little birdie out, its beak would poke through my flesh and everyone was oblivious to it tearing a hole through me. "come here, little bird" and i'm just screaming because the bird is flapping inside my ribcage. i don't think the bird got out, but i can't recall how the dream began or ended, so maybe?

birdcage instaed of ribcage. Is the bird where your heart would be?
    Does it flutter like a heart? This would be supported by this.
    Dream Moods: Your Dream Symbol Interpretation

Perhaps you're feeling like you can't let go of you heart/love/free spirit for some reason? Would it leave you vulnurable to pain? is a person/people pushing you or demanding that you open up more or something like this?

anyway just some things off the top of my head. maybe relevant maybe not. anyway hope you work it out, doesn't sound too pleasant.
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think the bird was my heart, it was more disturbing than that… like i was a normal functioning body except there was a small yellow bird living in my ribcage and everyone was trying to get it out. using that website you gave, i found these two to be paradoxical:

Yellow Bird
    To see a yellow bird in your dream, foretells good luck in financial affairs, but not so good in affairs of the heart.
    Rib
    To see ribs in your dream, symbolizes poverty and misery.
    so which is it?

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1981slater's POV

The bird represents your inner feelings. You don't want people to get to them, since you are actually a very sensitive person. Because of that, you project the opposite traits: aggressive, harsh language, for instance. When you tell someone your feelings, the truth can never remain unknown, it's like a nuclear launch: once you go to war, you can't simply go back. So it's always better to negotiate instead of letting it go!
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think the bird was my heart, it was more disturbing than that… like i was a normal functioning body except there was a small yellow bird living in my ribcage and everyone was trying to get it out. using that website you gave, i found these two to be paradoxical:

so which is it?
    The dream interpretations on the I find tend to be reasonably accurate, but it will depend on the overall context of the dream.
    O.K. do you know why they wanted to get it out?
    IEE-Ne

Creepy-Cyclops

That's a disturbing dream. Dunno what it means though - there's no opposite to it really, it's sort of a stuck in the middle thing...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    You are supposed to use Dreammoods as a consultant, but the dream symbols there are only the collective ones (Jung's collective unconscious). You have your own personal symbols, and that's where you have to look. What do you feel about the color yellow, what do you feel about birds, what do you feel about people and birdcages and your ribcage, for that matter.

Use dreammoods to see if you instantly recognize the symbol, if not, then what is written is wrong.

Dreams don't forecast richness or poverty, btw, that's just ridiculous. (OK, some trends can of course be predicted by the unconscious, but in general, not much). Dreams explain psychic energies, so that you, if you understand them, can cooperate better with yourself.

See the symbols in your dream in this context:
    - What are you struggling with in your life lately?
    - What are people up to around you?
    - What are you hiding from yourself?
    etc.

Then see if you can make sense of the dream.

Another trick is to see the dream in context of other dreams you have had lately. They are often linked.
    This is very good.
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn.

Even though it causes you pain, the bird sounds like positive imagery, perhaps representing innocence, creativity, the capacity to feel overwhelming emotions. The fact that the people are calling to the bird, rather than telling you to let it out, speaks to a disconnect: the bird is inside of you, so it is something that you feel like is a part of you, but you feel like people are asking too much of you; perhaps all at once, or with regards to one particular issue, rather than being stretched thin. Perhaps you feel like other people place too much emphasis on the bird when they look at you, or that it matters more than you as a complete person. You feel like your real gestalt "self" is being compromised by the over-emphasis on this one thing; your actions are misaligned with your real personal interests and investments. The bird flapping indicates some kind of urgency, perhaps an approaching deadline or pivotal choice that you would rather avoid.

Creepy-male

I'm not joking here, but it's pretty... odd. And not entirely safe for work, I guess? tl;dr, I've had two dreams where I've had a female's equipment, and they were very NSFW.

I was in a hospital that was being assaulted by demons or something, and it was filled with hospital staff, reporters, and the military (was it legions of SWAT teams? They all had that padded blue armor on). Skip ahead, and I'm watching a room (from like, outside the walls, so it's like I'm floating in space and there's a wall missing) where there's these two nurses chatting next to some guy on a trolley. Anyway, one of these demons has tentacles, and my dream-camera is at around floor level, so I see it snaking along, then the dream camera jumps up to around normal height, and the tentacle snakes around one of the nurses' legs, before abruptly doing what a demonic tentacle might be inclined to do finding itself in such a situation. At this exact moment, all hell breaks loose, and there's lots of running and screaming and, while I can't see what's happening (because I'm, um, enjoying the chaos), there's bloodstains on the wall and people stumbling trying to run as fast as they can. At any rate, I suddenly get this impulse to force down on my equipment really hard, and it morphs into that of a female's. Not sure if I had breasts, though, which is relevant, because...

...this is not an isolated incident. I was in a castle, or a school, or something, and for some reason (I'm vague on the story, but I can obviously remember the insane bits that make me scratch my head when I wake up) my friend and I get sent down this tower to what basically wound up being a pantry (we were sent to retrieve something or other) where we're accosted by some dude who summons a giant slime mold. I think I offer to distract it, or sacrifice myself, or something of that nature, because it attacks me with a fairly non-slimy appendage. The dream ends with me pinned quite some ways up a wall with said appendage in a certain region. As a side note, it was supporting me pretty well.

Then there's another dream where I was a girl searching around in a haunted mansion for my brother, and then I was my brother; but I think this is just a case of how I tend to be lots of different things in my dreams. I've even been Puss In Boots from Shrek 2, for example. (I got executed by an angry mob outside a stadium that time.)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your dreams are like really weird anime, and you have massively repressed sexual urges.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Your dreams are like really weird anime, and you have massively repressed sexual urges.
    Massive repression issues, yes, but why are they coming out as me being female?

Creepy-male

Also, why am I almost never myself? Recently at least, it seems the only times where I'm myself are if it involves Isha. What does that mean, too?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    Probably because you suffered pain or a perceived disadvantage at some point early in life as a result of some aspect of you that is specifically male. Could just be massive garden-variety castration anxiety, especially if you are a very physically sensitive person. Are you circumcised?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because you want a female, and the only person available is you, so you make do?

@OP: That reminds me of the dream when I had a telephone for my torso. Anyhow, I see a relationship to how you left Alpha and some of us didn't like to see you go... we keep trying to call out your fun side, but that's not how you want to be; so as we try to puncture your mask - the mask that you consider your identity (for every identity is really a mask) - you feel that you yourself are being punctured.

I was mainly thinking of Dolphin, I guess... it doesn't make quite as much sense when I say it about you, but it's still decent.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-male

Probably because you suffered a perceived disadvantage at some point early in life as a result of some aspect of you that is specifically male.
    My mother. I don't think I was immune to her burning anti-male crusade. And then I had Dad on my case for being "too girly", so shit. Any predictions about what that kind of effect that would have? And probably a lot of the electronic guardian reinforcing lots of "men are dicks" messages (why I came out as a sensitive, new-age guy doormat, because TV told me it was a good thing that at least would not make half the population hate me (this was before I had the epiphany that it's never possible to have NOBODY irritated or discontent)). Is 9~12 too late to be "early in life"?

Could just be massive garden-variety castration anxiety, especially if you are a very physically sensitive person. Are you circumcised?
    Nope. Though there was this incident where a doctor wanted to get rid of this little band of too-tight skin back when I was eight-ish. By that stage I was operating entirely out of the assumption that any time I said "No" it would be totally ignored*, so I was confused for the longest time, wondering when I'd get dragged off to hospital to get whatever he wanted done to it done (or rather, being really confused when I *didn't* get dragged off to a hospital or wherever, and wondering when it was going to happen).

*Can I be E9 yet?

Kids think like kids, and grown-ups forget that

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Because you want a female, and the only person available is you, so you make do?
    No, dreams where I'm "making do" with myself have me anatomically unaltered. I'm fairly sure I know what those mean, though, so they aren't overly relevant to any sort of discussion.

On a totally unrelated note, there was this one time involving an empty elevator, and I only just got what the pun was.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i really need to pee in the morning i dream i really need to pee. ? ? ? ? ? whats it all mean
    asd

Creepy-Cyclops

I dream of Genie.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol @ gul using someone's dream thread to talk about his own dream: grow a self.

Damn.

Even though it causes you pain, the bird sounds like positive imagery, perhaps representing innocence, creativity, the capacity to feel overwhelming emotions. The fact that the people are calling to the bird, rather than telling you to let it out, speaks to a disconnect: the bird is inside of you, so it is something that you feel like is a part of you, but you feel like people are asking too much of you; perhaps all at once, or with regards to one particular issue, rather than being stretched thin. Perhaps you feel like other people place too much emphasis on the bird when they look at you, or that it matters more than you as a complete person. You feel like your real gestalt "self" is being compromised by the over-emphasis on this one thing; your actions are misaligned with your real personal interests and investments. The bird flapping indicates some kind of urgency, perhaps an approaching deadline or pivotal choice that you would rather avoid.
    Yeah, this was my interpretation, as well.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birdcage
    To see a birdcage in your dream, represents a loss of freedom. You are feeling locked up and unable to fully express yourself.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh the things i do on impulse late at night… sigh. i wish i hadn't posted that now but thanks anyway, guys.

@ mimosa - i agree with you re the symbols. i find the universal interpretations interesting, even if they don't necessarily apply. but yeah, i'm pretty sure it had little to do with finances.

tbh interpreting my own dreams makes me kind of uncomfortable. but if i continue to think about it maybe i'll pick up a paintbrush and let my hand interpret it for me. pretty much the easiest way for me to "confront" things i'm not yet aware of. a;lsdkfj;asldfjka;lskdfja;lsdfjkas;df;;;

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a;lsdkfj;asldfjka;lskdfja;lsdfjkas;df;;;
    Is that your signature now?

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is 9~12 too late to be "early in life"?
    No, that's actually one of the most impressionable ages as far as the early stages of forming your self-identity.

Based on what you're saying about your parents, etc., it definitely does sound like you've got some issues with your masculine side being repressed. Your subconscious takes that literally, and produces the dreams.

My completely amateur psychologist recommendation would be to take a martial arts class or something. You can't get comfortable with your masculine strength/aggression without actually getting out there and using it. But again, I'm not a certified psychologist or anything, so what do I know?
    Quaero Veritas.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    lol @ gul using someone's dream thread to talk about his own dream: grow a self.
    It's "dream interpretation thread", not "Allie's dream interpretation thread".

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    My completely amateur psychologist recommendation would be to take a martial arts class or something. You can't get comfortable with your masculine strength/aggression without actually getting out there and using it. But again, I'm not a certified psychologist or anything, so what do I know?
    I did Tae Kwon Do for many years. It's not like I'm not comfortable with "strength and aggression", they're just not parts of my personality.

--

Several years ago, I had a dream where I was drinking coffee with Death. Then he turned into a person-sized, black whirlwind, and I was flying through space in the TARDIS (my dream-camera was outside, watching the TARDIS rapidly spinning along) and I found I couldn't breathe. Naturally asphyxiation tends to disrupt sleep, so I woke up to find myself smothering myself with my doona. Any takers on what happened there?

Why do I often dream that I'm a camera? Why am I almost never myself in any dreams?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(for the Aussie-slang challenged, a doona is neither sputum nor feces, nor any of the other interesting possibilities insinuated by gul's dream, but, in fact, a blanket)

Creepy-male

(for the Aussie-slang challenged, a doona is neither sputum nor feces, nor any of the other interesting possibilities insinuated by gul's dream, but, in fact, a blanket)

Apparently it's known as a "duvet" to the rest of the world.

Not to be confused with this lady:

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did Tae Kwon Do for many years. It's not like I'm not comfortable with "strength and aggression", they're just not parts of my personality.
    Well, it was worth a shot. That was something that helped me, anyway, but I suppose our problems are too different.

Several years ago, I had a dream where I was drinking coffee with Death. Then he turned into a person-sized, black whirlwind, and I was flying through space in the TARDIS (my dream-camera was outside, watching the TARDIS rapidly spinning along) and I found I couldn't breathe. Naturally asphyxiation tends to disrupt sleep, so I woke up to find myself smothering myself with my doona. Any takers on what happened there?
    By "Death" I assume you mean the classic character with the black robes and the scythe? It's hard to say what that would represent -- it depends on what you associate with it. Are you primarily thinking of Discworld's rather comic "Death", or the traditional silent and scary Death? What were you feeling -- were you happy to be having coffee with Death, like he was a cool celebrity? Or was it terrifying?

Likewise, the TARDIS seems like a fairly personal symbol. What sorts of things do you associate with the TARDIS? Do you associate positive or negative emotions with it? What does it represent to you?

Dream analysis is secretly one of my favourite hobbies.

Why do I often dream that I'm a camera? Why am I almost never myself in any dreams?
    I'd guess it has something to do with not really knowing "who you are"; having an uncertain sense of self-identity. I'd imagine that would also be related to your infamously frequent self-typing changes.

I had a dream once, in which there were these long rectangular boxes, one story high by twenty yards deep and a hundred yards long or so, constructed of concrete with one wall and part of the ceiling being plexiglass windows. There were four or five of these boxes, one hovering a few yards above the other, all stacked up and hovering out over the blue ocean against a blue sky. Inside the boxes were seats like in a stadium, looking out the window at the ocean, like at some sporting event. At first people were sitting in the seats, waiting for whatever it was we were waiting for, but then terrorists took them over and were holding everyone hostage. Also, Spider-Man was there for some reason.

After I woke up, upon careful examination, I discovered that these rectangular boxes stacked one atop the other filled with people on a blue background actually represented these forums, which I had only recently joined at the time.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a tendency to see myself in third-person in my dreams, but I don't usually take it to mean anything... however, there's gotta be a reason for the difference... I think that I dream in third person when I'm thinking about my own actions; I don't recall having a sense of touch in dreams, so I have to see myself from outside for what I'm doing to seem real. Instances when I'm dreaming in first person tend to have me as myself doing what I would naturally do... my actions aren't interesting, only what I'm acting on is.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a tendency to see myself in third-person in my dreams, but I don't usually take it to mean anything... however, there's gotta be a reason for the difference... I think that I dream in third person when I'm thinking about my own actions; I don't recall having a sense of touch in dreams, so I have to see myself from outside for what I'm doing to seem real. Instances when I'm dreaming in first person tend to have me as myself doing what I would naturally do... my actions aren't interesting, only what I'm acting on is.
    Now that you mention it, my own dreams tend to switch between the two. I suppose it's the difference of focusing "What it looks like from the outside" vs. "What it feels like on the inside."

However, I do think the fact that Coolanzon feels it is significant that his his dreams are always 3rd person may in and of itself be significant.

But again, I'm not a professional psychologist, so what do I know?
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I see myself from the 3rd person in a dream, it's "me," but I look like something else. One time I was Archangel from the X-Men and somehow I found myself stuck under a couch and got finished off by this whacky ass little scientist who floated in the air and had a big white moustache.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, I do think the fact that Coolanzon feels it is significant that his his dreams are always 3rd person may in and of itself be significant.
    Maybe he just thought he was the only one...

Whenever I see myself from the 3rd person in a dream, it's "me," but I look like something else. One time I was Archangel from the X-Men and somehow I found myself stuck under a couch and got finished off by this whacky ass little scientist who floated in the air and had a big white moustache.
    Tbh, I don't think I've ever seen myself in a dream as I look IRL... I just don't look in the mirror enough for that.

I recall only one dream that involved the X-men... it was a lucid dream, and someone told me to "pick on someone your own size" so I went and killed Magneto.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You hate being told what to do. You really value your independence. You don't want to follow OR lead, you kind of just want to go your own way. Artistically.

=p. *shrug* I dunno. But that's my guess.

Creepy-male

well [Zero Punctuation] is a video game review show where ths guy with a bitter and cynical attitude rips ruthlessly into games
    and he dismissed some shooter as "It's probably some thing where a macho American kills everything and then a girl has sex with his gun"
    then I wind up in a situation where I have an assault rifle
    which in hindsight was firing rounds that were exploding trees
    and I charge this wooded area next to a cliff wiht my squad
    and yes, exploding trees, clouds of blood; but everyone dies
    so I keep moving, and head up a hill
    and there's this naked girl there, I think she may have been being attacked by one of the enemy combatants, who I pew pewed
    reviewer's description of the game comes true, so this girl is going wild with my gun
    but I'm too busy scanning around me everywhere for more of the enemy
    then a gargoyle from World of Warcraft comes down from the sky, and I see someone sneak into this shopping mall
    because for some reason up the hill was this suburban area
    and I'm like, "Aha!"
    then someone comes at me just as my alarm goes off
    I'm interested in wtf the gargoyle was doing there

--

Krig, to answer your questions, Death (as in, the robed figure) probably doesn't have much significance to me, except as maybe someone who is double-cool (cool customer and rather impressive). The TARDIS is actually my generic spaceship, it's a fairly strong association for me.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been dreaming I'm pregnant for the last couple of days. I'm not pregnant. I don't want to be pregnant. Dreams don't mean anything. I think it's just random thoughts you collect throughout the day that surface.

/you're welcome

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To dream that you are pregnant, symbolizes an aspect of yourself or some aspect of your personal life that is growing and developing. You may not be ready to talk about it or act on it. This may also represent the birth of a new idea, direction, project or goal.
    It's all......true.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not for me. Dunno, dreams can be interpreted any way you want and it'll almost always seem true.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a professional psychologist either, but ime working out and physically activity usually does wonders for your masculine side. Not necessarily by making you bigger or more imposing - the mix of concentration and testosterone just gives you more energy and confidence - that's applicable in any sphere of life, not just romance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last night i dreamed that i lived in ireland, and when i woke in the morning i debated whether i had lived in ireland for a period of 6 months. I REALLY think I am losing it, I was so convinced, i wanted to call my mom and ask if I am forgetting things. Honestly, I woke up from the dream and was like, god, have I had an episode of amnesia in my life at some point? When did I live in Ireland? The images of Ireland were vivid to the point that i remembered them in detail enough that it seemed I could have been there. Also I forgot whether I was 23 or 24 yesterday. God. What the hell is going on with me?
    asd

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It means you are inhibited from being spontaneous. And then there are people in your life who try to prod you to act spontaneous in some particular way, and you don't want to, and you find their prodding to be annoying.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Analyze this one:

I dreamed that an 80 foot snake was eating a bunch of young adult men. (in early twenties/late teens) The snake almost ate me but I dodged it. Before he came down to try and ate me I knew I would make it. (It's not so much I dodged it just like the snake purposefully missed me almost like he didn't want to eat me) Still, I was terrified as hell. One time when the snake scooped up a bunch of people, one of the guys pushed his bro down to save him. But he died anyway from the height of the fall.

Oh the snake was in a field, just a large open green field. there was also a tree. I knew somehow if I went around the tree, that the snake would not eat me.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast