Thread: Ni-creative: Manipulative by nature? (ENTj & ENFj)

Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just thought it was interesting that I was accused of being manipulative. I can see how it might come off that way.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this might be most obvious in intimate relationships because of the mind games that are often involved, like it or not.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think so. although, 'manipulative' has rather negative connotations of being self-serving, and i don't think that most ENTj's and ENFj's are selfish like that...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xixi View Post
    i think so. although, 'manipulative' has rather negative connotations of being self-serving, and i don't think that most ENTj's and ENFj's are selfish like that...
    i think they are. and 'self-serving' is not entirely negative. are we not all selfish?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely can "guide" people in directions, both concretely and emotionally, to serve my purposes. Sometimes I set traps/choices for people without even knowing it. But then I'm something of a pathological liar.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I definitely can "guide" people in directions, both concretely and emotionally, to serve my purposes. Sometimes I set traps/choices for people without even knowing it. But then I'm something of a pathological liar.
    I'm discovering things about you, Gilligan.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    I'm discovering things about you, Gilligan.
    I'm destroying your life from the inside out
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I don't think LIIs are very manipulative at all. For one thing how do you "control" another person's imagination? You can't. The only thing you can do is try to make a "semblance" of the imaginary scenario you've conceived, the process of which invariably relying on methods not of your own design, but of people who are not LII.

You can control a person's self-expression, however, using those same methods.

It seems to me though that the odd-dimensional functions in general are manipulative.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Did anyone say that LIIs are manipulative?
    It was implied by the notion that the creative function is manipulative.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mbah. I can't see how I could do that with people. I might try to do that when writing a paper, if I don't know exactly how to justify a certain result, and/or I don't know exactly how to answer a question. So probably I can do it in thinking-realms but can't do it in ethical-realms.
    I'd find it pretty hard to be manipulative in relationships; not because I'm a particularly ethical person, simply because I don't know where to start and I generally don't "think" about that dimension of life, it's not something I can handle with confidence. If I think something is good/bad for somebody, I'll just tell them, no roundabouts.
    If you mean that I try to tailor my actions in such a way as to find myself in the right place at the right time - absolutely yes. That doesn't involve other people tho, usually.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Manipulative" is one of the most problematic words in English. When people hear it, they assume negative connotations. But manipulativeness in and of itself is not bad; merely dangerous. Guns are also dangerous, but they are tools. Same thing with automobiles.

Ni creative is manipulative in the sense that it "steers" people in particular directions, either cognitively or emotionally, and both can be good or bad.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    It seems to me though that the odd-dimensional functions in general are manipulative.
    This makes sense to me. Thinking of how, you live through your Base, and your Demonstrative is a passive observer (as in, even dimensions being not manipulative, in general). Not sure about the others.

Obviously the Creative function is something you use with thought and deftness.

Anyway, on-topic, I think EJs in general are types that want to control and direct things, by nature of how they view the world. I wonder if the "things" for ENjs are far more telescopic and over a broader range of time, and if that leads to the perception that they're "manipulative", where ESjs would instead potentially come across as "bossy" or "pushy".

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    This makes sense to me. Thinking of how, you live through your Base, and your Demonstrative is a passive observer (as in, even dimensions being not manipulative, in general). Not sure about the others.

Obviously the Creative function is something you use with thought and deftness.

Anyway, on-topic, I think EJs in general are types that want to control and direct things, by nature of how they view the world. I wonder if the "things" for ENjs are far more telescopic and over a broader range of time, and if that leads to the perception that they're "manipulative", where ESjs would instead potentially come across as "bossy" or "pushy".
    They act under the assumption that the outcome will have definite bearing on their emotions or finances.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    where ESjs would instead potentially come across as "bossy" or "pushy".
    *nods*
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. We have little awareness of the 4th and 5th functions, and the ignoring function is usually disregarded as well. I think I can agree that we usually manipulate our creative function, but I'm wondering if Ni-creative can actually be considered manipulative in the conventional sense.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another way of looking at is from the perspective of the HA. Ni-creatives would theoretically be unconsciously guided by the exertion of their will. Likely, in their attempts to reach their expected outcomes they tend to impose and force others to do as they wish subtly and unconsciously.

With ESj, they can seem pushy/bossy more as byproduct of their focus on getting things done right away. (Se-demonstrative)
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    I really think all types can manipulate, but that it is done for different reasons. Se HA + Ni creative + Te or Fe base manipulates in one way. Other types manipulate in other ways. Some ways annoy people more, and are more visible, that I can agree on.
    I definitely think there's truth to that.

Maybe it's something like this:

Ni: purposeful involvement
    Se: willful imposition
    Ne: rational persuasion
    Si: altruistic give/take

just off the top of my head.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. We have little awareness of the 4th and 5th functions, and the ignoring function is usually disregarded as well. I think I can agree that we usually manipulate our creative function, but I'm wondering if Ni-creative can actually be considered manipulative in the conventional sense.
    Well of course at this point we're talking of a distinct socionics definition for manipulation, calling it such only because we lack for a more descriptive term which could encapsulate manipulation itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa
    Where can a good translation of her theory be found?
    www.socionics.us