Thread: ENFps seeing multiple possibilities and switching roles irrationality

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ENFps seeing multiple possibilities and switching roles [irrationality]

In the ENFp Silly Switch Thread, some interesting points came up. While at the time I could sense a similarity in what was being argued, I couldn't express it. So, I placed it on the mental back burner, trusting my mind to bring it back up when it's ready to express what I had seen.

Some NeFi's made points about Se being their silly switch and/or their aggressive switch. What I saw was that it was the same switch, but the content being expressed was different. Now, I think I understand why the difference.

If Ne allows us to see multiple possibilities, and Fi allows us to evaluate those possibilities, wouldn't it make sense then that Se allows us to assert our own personal evaluations?
    If the evaluation turned out negative, then what we assert would be negative.
    If the evaluation turned out to be positive, then what we assert would be positive.

This works for the silly switch, the aggressive switch, the meddling switch, as well as the experimenting switch. In each of these,
    1. we have an evaluation in mind (good/bad, like/dislike, should/shouldn't, what-if, etc)
    2. we "flip the Se role switch"...allowing us to assert the good/bad, like/dislike, should/shouldn't, what-if etc.
    3. thus playing the silly, aggressive, meddling, experimenting role.

I believe that SiTe's would also have this switch of asserting their personal evaluations. I wonder, though, if there might perhaps be more thought put into it than an NeFi's assertions.

Any thoughts?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that is correct, then a logical consequence would be this: the switch works best if we have enough energy. Se is our third function, and the third function's activity depends on how you feel at the moment, right? So, when you're tired mentally, emotionally and physically, your third function is a bit passive. I can vaguely remember reading that somewhere.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    If that is correct, then a logical consequence would be this: the switch works best if we have enough energy. Se is our third function, and the third function's activity depends on how you feel at the moment, right? So, when you're tired mentally, emotionally and physically, your third function is a bit passive. I can vaguely remember reading that somewhere.
    I wonder if it would be "enough" energy or the "right kind" of energy, a combo, or they're the same darned thing.

To be experimenting...I do this all the time. This is would probably be where I put most of my energy. Possibilities flying through my head so fast, and can't process them unless I briefly assert them as temporary fact or option so they can be looked at, heard, and thus tested. I'm thinking that if it weren't for the multiple possibilities being generated, I wouldn't feel a need to assert them to process them. So maybe it's the inadvertent creating of possibilities which produces my energies.

To be "meddling" is fairly easy, I do it all the time. It is probably where I inadvertently put too much of my energy. As I listen to another person, I keep generating possibilities (possible meanings, possible motives, possible changes, possible actions), thus I am generating more energy.
    I think that asserting any of those meanings/motives/suggestions has to do with my value of living congruent with one's principles. The more a person goes on and on about how something in their life isn't matching with some basic criteria they're expressing (or I can't believe they wouldn't have that criteria), the more internal pressure builds up in me to speak out...until it reaches a point in which I have to relieve that pressure by asserting my thoughts on the matter. This would suggest that I gain energy prior to assertion, and that right kind either doesn't fit or other's expressing incongruency IS the right kind....

I know that for me, to be "silly" I must first be in a non threatening atmosphere in which I feel at least somewhat free to be in that mode. Also, the less pressure I am feeling in other areas of my life, the more "silly" I can get. This would suggest a combo. (also, the more pressure I feel to be "silly" or any other emotion, the less likely I am to feel that way...which leads us to aggressive role)

Finally, to be aggressive.... The major point at which I get aggressive is usually when I am feeling as if something/someone outside of me is constraining where I can/can't put my energies into. Kinda feels like my energies are being corralled into a direction I don't want to go and so I feel a need to use some of that energy to break through the fences and thus regain my freedom to choose where to direct my energies. Thus, energy is being used to stop the force and thus assert my selfhood. However, that energy is being borrowed from where it would have otherwise gone (experimenting and meddling).

What is your take on it? Does any of it fit with your own observations?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a lot, but I'll try...

Generally, I need to have an OK level of energy in order to flip any switch. It's not enough to be energized by the situation. If I'm exhausted, then even an energizing situation won't get me going. This feels very weird, as if I've stopped being myself and what's left is just a boring robot.

But if we talk about situations that are more or less normal - then yes, I'd say that I'm energized by the possibility of possibilities. The pressure builds up and then it just bursts out of you. The silly switch is activated by... let's see... non-threatening environment (i.e., supportive and accepting people who like a bit of fun), lack of pressure in other areas of life... yep, sounds about right. Meddling switch... hm... I've grown up with people who hate meddling, and who thinks that even asking questions is meddling, so I'm very very careful in that area, and will often let people run freely into their doom if I've got the impression that speaking out won't be any use anyway. But if I think that the person will at least listen to me, and if there is an incongruency between what they do and what priorities, principles etc. they usually have, then... The aggressive switch: again, more or less like you said. Theme song: "I want to break free!" by Queen.

Hope this helps. It's just a quick brainstorm.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Theme song: "I want to break free!" by Queen.
    *sings with schrodinger's cat*

That's a lot, but I'll try...
    Hope this helps. It's just a quick brainstorm.
    It does help, thanks for taking the time to write that. I feel as if I'm constantly having to crosscheck what's in my head with what's "real". It greatly helps when people describe for me their own observations/experiences.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp