Thread: I am not sure of my type, but I have reseached a great deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I am not sure of my type, but I have reseached a great deal.

I have studied Jung's theories for a while now, but I am still confused as to what Introverted Sensing ( Si) and Introverted Intuition ( Ni) actually mean. When I am in school, I tend not to interact with many people, go straight from one class to another, and feel disgusted with students who don't respect the teachers or the school (Although I never say anything to them). I tend to show up early to class, and always have my work ready to be turned in. One peculiarity I have is that if a teacher makes a mistake when teaching the class, I don't point it out until after the other students have left the room, to avoid embarrasing them in front of their class. But when I am at home, I spend a lot of time reading, listening to music, studying various theories, watching television, and sometimes playing RPG's.

One particular thing about myself that I find inconsistant is that I tend to think in a very theoretical manner (suggesting an Intuitive type), but I tend to dislike change in rules and procedures, and rely on them when dealing with reality. In fact, I tend to do exactly the same thing every morning before going to school, even down to eating the same breakfast. (All of these things suggest an Si type) However, I've found that I don't tend to adhere to any sort of schedule when I do not have any obligations (Not even going to bed at a specific time). One thing I can say is that I find it difficult to deal with rapidly changing circumstances, and hate being in crowds because of all the loudness, rapid movement, and jostling of people. When dealing with the few friends I have, however, I tend to be energized by talking to them, and I have held 5 hour phone conversations before. So I don't even know for certain that I am an Introvert. I heard somewhere that true Introverts actually dislike talking to people, but I just hate dealing with noisy, active crowds, and find it difficult to approach people I don't know.

So, what type am I? I've been called an ISFp, an ISTp, an ENFj, and an INFp.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTj.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you are probably right. That is how the majority of my behavior seems to play out. I had sort of hoped that I might be a Feeling type, and not such a horribly cold and logical person, but I suppose that is just unconsious dissatisfation with my personality. I should have just realized that that was an unconsious action of my tertiary Fi. I am surprised that I had so much difficulty determining this. Thank you for your help.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your reaction is actually a strong indication that you're not ISTj. Sorry if that confuses you more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I can see how a lot of the things I mentioned about preferring order and eating the same breakfast every morning sounded very much like an ISTj. But, if that isn't the correct type, then what is plausible? ISFj? INFj? INTj? What's sad is that I have purchased three books on differing aspects, and have been researching this for about eight months. How can I still be so unsure? Is it possible that the way I behave at school is only a persona mask? This can be very confusing, can't it?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ISFj then, perhaps sensory subtype.

ISFjs often have a self-image of being "logical" (when they aren't, not really) and may well identify with ISTj.

EDIT: oh, and those books will have been on MBTI, not socionics.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    ISFjs often have a self-image of being "logical" (when they aren't, not really) and may well identify with ISTj.
    On the other hand, I don't think that an ISFj would describe himself as having a theorethical approach, don't you?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the books were probably closer to MBTI, I'll admit. One was Typelogic, based on the MBTI, one was a translation of some of Carl Jung's writings, and the other was David Keirsey's Temperment Sorter.

After thinking for a while, I guess I am between INFJ and ISFJ. I think I behave much like an SJ Guardian in public (which does indeed reflect my interest in social order, and my distaste for anarchy), but I tend to seem impractical and abstract at times, and I do like fantasy and science fiction, which is also unusual for an SJ type. The main thing that makes me unsure whether I am an SJ is that I don't involve myself in the community, and I tend to learn things by reading about them rather than first-hand experience. I learned to read at about age three. And while most of my behavior seems Introverted, I think I became that way as a result of so many of my early friends moving away. But Introversion could be based on what you have learned, rather than being an inherent trait. That may be irrelevant.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    On the other hand, I don't think that an ISFj would describe himself as having a theorethical approach, don't you?
    Actually I have seen that happening in an ISFj male who was trained in science. But all his evaluations outside work were .

Jeremy1988, your comments are not relevant to socionics. But from them it seems that you are an INFj actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry that I didn't realize that I was talking about MBTI earlier. I thought I had properly converted the measurements. I suppose that I didn't do very well. I hope I didn't waste too much of your time. I still think it is strange that I am both a pessimist, and an Intuitive. I just heard that Intuitives were optimists, and open to possibilties, and that just made it seem like I couldn't be one, even if I was attracted to theories more than reality. Now I think that INFJ is probably correct, even though I doubted it earlier. Interestingly, that was the original result the Keirsey Temperment Sorter gave me. Thank you for your help, and I hope I didn't cause too many problems by talking about the wrong measurements.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey no problem My comments were matter-of-fact, not critical.

There are no proper measurements in socionics, and there is no way to convert MBTI types to socionics types. My typing was based on your self-description.

This correlation intuitive=optimistic, sensor=pessimistic is too simplistic.

And now I think you are INFj in socionics, and you may or may not be INFJ in MBTI.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeremy! No problem whatsoever. If we're on this board, it means that the time we spend to reply to you is not wasted
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the is strong with this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, I was worried that perhaps I had mentioned something off-topic, or something. So, I do think INFj makes sense to some extent, but the biggest source of my previous doubt that I was a feeling type was that I used to get high grades in my Algebra classes. I found working with shapes and graphs to be exausting, but the formulas and variables were easy for me. I am also good at working with computers, in as much as I can figure out how a program works with little effort. And in addition, I seem to frequently offend people unintentionally. When I do this, however, I hate myself for it. For instance, I once told one of my friends that I felt like having friends was pointless, because I still spent most of my time sitting alone. I meant to refer to a general situation, that even though I had four friends, I was still unhappy, and it was just a drain on me, and that I felt like it was pointless. I think that maybe she thought that I was claiming that she personally did not spend enough time with me, and told me I was rude. I had only said this hoping for some helpful suggestions, or at least sympathy. The response I got made me disillusioned and angry. I was afraid to say anything else, because I thought that since I had misjudged the appropriateness of what I had said previously, that anything else I said might also be "rude". I wound up getting up, and walking away without saying anything else, thinking that that might prevent me from putting my foot in my mouth. I was so angry that I didn't realize that this action could also be seen as "rude". I felt trapped by the whole situation. My father says I have bad social skills, but some people disagree with him. However, when working with filenames on computers, I have a couple of odd tendancies. I tend to limit my filenames to 8.3 just in case some of the LFN support is broken somewhere. I also tend to use the command prompt instead of Windows Explorer, because I have used it longer, and find it more powerful and faster in general. I tried to learn C once, but I couldn't grasp anything more than a basic understanding of the syntax.

Now, as to the previous comment that I have strong Introverted Thinking: I would agree, except that that would mean that I used either Extraverted Sensing or Extraverted Intuition as my other function, which I very much doubt, due to my difficulty adapting to rapidly changing circumstances.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default More Info

@Jeremy1988
    There is not that much Fi in your post, so if I offer a wild guess I'd say that you are a logical type who has somewhat confused feeling function with being nice and sensitive. It seems to me that at least INFJ guys tend to more stronly aware of our often somewhat uncomfortable "feeling" type. Of course I could be wrong, it is always easier to see the differences than the similiarities...

If you write more about yourself we could probably tell more, a picture would be nice as well. Often times the types become most apparent in relationships and social interaction with others, so if you feel comfortable discussing your experiences in relationships, strenghts and weaknesses etc. it would be helpful too.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will provide a picture, but I don't see how it would be helpful:

http://www20.brinkster.com/linuxknight/jeremy.jpg

For some reason, the link won't work directly. I think you have to copy and paste the address.

Also, I think it's strange you should say that you didn't see much Introverted Feeling in what I wrote. I kind of thought Introverted Feeling, being an introverted function, wouldn't tend to express itself outwardly.
    Is that not the difference between extraverted and introverted functions?

About relationships, what type of information do you need? I can give many examples. I hate to be in loud places, I don't like or understand sports, and I am somewhat good at math, but find it boring. I don't know if the fact that I am sensitive to criticism, and always believe it, means anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Jeremy
    Saying you sound like a logical type was just my initial highly subjective impression. This post, for example sounds more like a logical type:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1988
    Thank you, I was worried that perhaps I had mentioned something off-topic, or something. So, I do think INFj makes sense to some extent, but the biggest source of my previous doubt that I was a feeling type was that I used to get high grades in my Algebra classes. I found working with shapes and graphs to be exausting, but the formulas and variables were easy for me. I am also good at working with computers, in as much as I can figure out how a program works with little effort. And in addition, I seem to frequently offend people unintentionally. When I do this, however, I hate myself for it. For instance, I once told one of my friends that I felt like having friends was pointless, because I still spent most of my time sitting alone. I meant to refer to a general situation, that even though I had four friends, I was still unhappy, and it was just a drain on me, and that I felt like it was pointless. I think that maybe she thought that I was claiming that she personally did not spend enough time with me, and told me I was rude. I had only said this hoping for some helpful suggestions, or at least sympathy. The response I got made me disillusioned and angry. I was afraid to say anything else, because I thought that since I had misjudged the appropriateness of what I had said previously, that anything else I said might also be "rude". I wound up getting up, and walking away without saying anything else, thinking that that might prevent me from putting my foot in my mouth. I was so angry that I didn't realize that this action could also be seen as "rude". I felt trapped by the whole situation. My father says I have bad social skills, but some people disagree with him. However, when working with filenames on computers, I have a couple of odd tendancies. I tend to limit my filenames to 8.3 just in case some of the LFN support is broken somewhere. I also tend to use the command prompt instead of Windows Explorer, because I have used it longer, and find it more powerful and faster in general. I tried to learn C once, but I couldn't grasp anything more than a basic understanding of the syntax.

Now, as to the previous comment that I have strong Introverted Thinking: I would agree, except that that would mean that I used either Extraverted Sensing or Extraverted Intuition as my other function, which I very much doubt, due to my difficulty adapting to rapidly changing circumstances.
    I think it could help you to study how the four dichotomous scales (logic vs ethics etc.) are defined in socionics. It is somewhat different from MBTI, for example:

LOGICAL TYPES

strengths
    -dealing with objective (nonhuman) world
    -countering others' flawed logic, actions, and procedures and explaining correct logic and procedures
    -making independent decisions in logical sphere
    -evaluating others' honesty and deeds
    -try to strictly follow others' ethical norms and rules of thumb for demonstrating emotions and feelings

weaknesses
    -ethics
    -often feel helpless when forced to deal with others' feelings, emotional reactions, and subjective factors
    -more subject to emotional manipulation and not recognizing others' true feelings and attitudes in time
    http://socionics.us/theory/log_eth.shtml

The point I was trying to make is that being a logical type does not in any way mean that you would not care about other people or their emotions, it is just more of a problem area for you than for most people with ethical types.

I did not manage to upload your webpage even when I copied and pasted it. Visual identification is still highly speculative and unreliable though, so it is not that important.
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Second Thoughts

@Jeremy
    Having thought it over, it is, of course, very much possible that you are an INFJ. Usually guys want to be logical types, so if you think you are a feeling type, you certainly know yourself much better than anyone else. Anyway, it would be useful to have some sort of what is my type FAQ section, we just have been rather too lazy to write one. One major difference between INTJs/ISTJs and INTJs/ISFJs is that the introverted thinkers need to get "emotional recharge" extraverted feeling Fe or they risk falling into depression. Introverted feelers would rather not have their "moods altered".

Usually the introverted and extroverted functions (feeling and others) go together, so that INFJs and ISFJs often have also fairly strong extraverted feeling functions, but there is a great deal of variation and it could be also due to lack of confidence and/or too much negative feedback discouraging you from using Fe.
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that in some situations, I seem to be good at using Extraverted Feeling, but sometimes, I don't seem good at following social norms. There are certain things I do that would imply that my Extraverted Feeling is weak. Namely, I don't always know what someone else is feeling. And sometimes I offend people. Also, I do care what my teachers think of me, more than what my peers think. I don't like the same music, or wear the same type of clothing that they do. Also, I wouldn't do something against the rules to gain friendship and trust. A reason I think Introverted Feeling might be weak is that I have embezzled money and lied to protect myself before, and have pretended to like people I hated.

One thing that makes it seem like my Extraverted Feeling might be strong, is that the main reason I try to adhere so strictly to rules is that I want my teachers to like me. But in that case, why do I not care about other students? I tend to see them as dull-witted, aggressive, and crude. What does seeing them in such a negative way mean?

I am curious as to whether there is a way to know specifically what kinds of activities require certain functions. Does using a computer require Intuition, Sensing, or Thinking? Does doing math involve Intuition or Thinking? Does respecting the rules require Introverted Thinking, Introverted Feeling, or Introverted Sensing? This is part of why I am so unsure. Is it even possible to be positive of one's type?

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am seeing a perfect example of an ISFj. However, because of the highly speculative nature of the theory I am basing this off of, I won't explain my reasoning unless someone requests so.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I am not sure of my type, but I have reseached a great d

So, what type am I? I've been called an ISFp, an ISTp, an ENFj, and an INFp.
    My initial reaction was "INFp".

Some hints as to the reasoning behind:

I have studied Jung's theories for a while now
    Suggests Ni dominant.

to avoid embarrasing them
    Suggests NF of some kind.

when I am at home, I spend a lot of time reading,
    Suggests introvert Perception dominant.

dealing with the few friends I have, however, I tend to be energized
    Suggests introvert main function, Fe second.

So my vote goes for INFp. Not just or even mainly from the quotes above, but rather from the general impression you give.

Greetings, ragnar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience exactly. Any ideas how to explain this phenomenon?

I seem to frequently offend people unintentionally. When I do this, however, I hate myself for it. For instance, I once told one of my friends that I felt like having friends was pointless, because I still spent most of my time sitting alone.
    Spooky... I know an INFJ (MBTI type) who did just that to an ISFj ...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You not adhering to schedule obviously indicates you are likely an ENFp, please post pictures so we can type you properly.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, thats if you happen to come back after your 3 years absence.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsghost View Post
    Yeah, thats if you happen to come back after your 3 years absence.
    Oh, must be my lack of Ti, didn't notice it. But it is irrelevant, I think it is important that anyone who would open this thread to know his real type so they would not get confused here. Don't we all agree?

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, no!

Is this the same forum that Expat was on?

Umm... this was me. I'm sorry I didn't recognize the forum until I saw this post. I thought this post was on the similarminds forum, not here... I didn't remember posting it here.

Am I going to get banned for creating a duplicate account?

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by mirrorsoul View Post
    Oh, no!

Umm... this was me. I'm sorry I didn't recognize the forum until I saw this post. I thought this post was on the similarminds forum, not here... I didn't remember posting it here.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, no!

Lmao. What a dunce. ISFp it is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, no!

Yes.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhhmm... lol
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jeremy you are ENFp, I knew it

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari