Thread: Deltas and in person/phone/text/IM communication

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Deltas and in person/phone/text/IM communication

How would you order your communication preference? I'm starting to really not like talking to people on the phone...

My order is: in person > txt > IM > phone.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    How would you order your communication preference? I'm starting to really not like talking to people on the phone...

My order is: in person > txt > IM > phone.
    Why are you starting to dislike talking on the phone?

Phones are convenient. I equate them roughly with Skype, but Skype is a little better thanks to headphone+mic. Texts are also convenient when you don't have much to say. Finally, IMs are a good way to keep in contact with your internet buddies for whom the other means of communication are not available.

EDIT

I might also add that I actually do not have anyone to hang out with in person at the moment

Hopefully that'll change with meeting peeps through university club activities and the like.
    Last edited by male; 12-12-2009 at 12:00 AM.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IM > phone > text
    As much as I dislike calling people, I text even less often than that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. In person.
    2. text.
    2. phone.

I really don't like the phone. Unless it's someone I know super well. In that case I like to rant and tell long stories, etc.

When making plans, my friends know I often just text. One of my INTj friends overcomplicates plans when it's done over the phone and then I have to call lots of people and wait for them to pick up, or wait to leave a message. So I try to not pick up so she'll text, so she now tells everyone I don't answer my phone lol.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In person > IM > phone

I don't really see texting as a form of communication, or if it is it's just like IM but on an smaller scale. Texting is more 'notification' to me, not conversation.

Phone is significantly better, however, for business transactions, than IMing or texting. The difference is having an agenda and a clear endpoint. Perhaps I should think as conversations on the phone that way as well, hmm..
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I didn't know 'in person' was an option

IM > in person > phone > text
    I'm basically a tremendous homebody :<

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    Why are you starting to dislike talking on the phone?
    Maybe it's a matter of preferring in-person communication. Idk really, it just seems forced to make conversation at times, and the silence is awkward when there's nothing that you have to say anymore. There's someone who recently asked for my phone number who lost it because his phone got reset, and I honestly don't feel like giving it again. Last time we spoke wasn't really in good terms, so it seems like pushing it to jump to talking on the phone, rather than start by more impersonal communication.

Then there's having to change your tone of voice to sound like you're really interested, because it comes off as if you're annoyed or bored (when I'm really not). I have a deep voice when a talk on the phone (not on purpose), which does not make this easy.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Maybe it's a matter of preferring in-person communication. Idk really, it just seems forced to make conversation at times, and the silence is awkward when there's nothing that you have to say anymore. There's someone who recently asked for my phone number who lost it because his phone got reset, and I honestly don't feel like giving it again. Last time we spoke wasn't really in good terms, so it seems like pushing it to jump to talking on the phone, rather than start by more impersonal communication.

Then there's having to change your tone of voice to sound like you're really interested, because it comes off as if you're annoyed or bored (when I'm really not). I have a deep voice when a talk on the phone (not on purpose), which does not make this easy.
    Yeah, I know what you mean (minus the part about having a deep voice).

For as long as I can remember, I've found the phone to be awkward and I avoid it when I can. Talking with someone in person is almost always the most efficient for me because that's when the most forms of communication are present (words, tone, pauses, facial expressions, body language, etc.). So if I really need to communicate something, in-person is the best. However, depending on the situation I can like emails or IMing better, particularly when I don't want to or don't have time to focus on someone all at once. Even with "instant" messaging, I can have other things going on at the same time. It gives me some space, some distance, that sometimes I like.

As for texting - I think I kind of fail at that. I don't use my phone a lot, so I'll often put it down and not look at it for hours, if not a couple of days.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

A Tiger livin' in a zoo.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In person > phone > text > im

Text & IM just give me too much opportunity to get distracted and accidentally ignore the message. Then I have to apologise later and feel like a bit of a twat.

I have 4 unreplied to text messages from yesterday still waiting for me to reply =(

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    In person > IM > phone

I don't really see texting as a form of communication, or if it is it's just like IM but on an smaller scale. Texting is more 'notification' to me, not conversation.

Phone is significantly better, however, for business transactions, than IMing or texting. The difference is having an agenda and a clear endpoint. Perhaps I should think as conversations on the phone that way as well, hmm..
    I feel similar to most of this response.

Conversation = in person
    Planning a meeting (meeting up with someone, figuring out movie times, etc)= phone, IM
    Notifications = quick phone call, txt/IM
    Chit chat = IM
    Long Distance = IM, phone, email
    Catching Up = IM, email

I'm kinda sensitive to volume of sounds, talking on the phone often hurts my ears.

The more real time the conversation is, the more it shows how easily distracted I get, as well as how unfocused I am. When I'm able to edit, I'm a little more coherent...though often write too much..as in pages of stuff.

I also tend to get much more easily distracted when I'm on the phone. Well, it shows more, that is. IMs and PMs allow me to do multiple things while also having the conversation, so the distractedness doesn't show as much.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The text message is the best invention of all time. The only people I willingly talk to on the phone are my parents as I never get to see them in person..other than them, I almost refuse to use the phone; I utterly despise it with every bone in my body. So, text, in person, email, instant message, morse code, sign language, phone.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In Person/IM-text-phone

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I communicate better via written communication. There is more time to get my thoughts organized than real-time conversation. My thoughts are a mess, but I never have enough time to properly get them together in forms of communication where an immediate response is expected. It's harder to piece together my thoughts into words with verbal communication.

I don't really like phonecalls, and never have since a young age.

Even so, written communication still has it's limits, and I dislike too much texting/DMing. I put off answering texts, especially if a person needs to message me every other second of the day.

I was googling DMing etiquette and there was one article talking about how someone's DM box is a very personal and intimate form of communication. To keep in mind that it's like the equivalent of going up to someone in a public place and shouting in their face, so to be mindful of that. Or it was something to that affect. It's possible that it's just so easy to cross my boundaries, and that I need more alone time than a normal human being, and that it boils down to that. But that really resonates with me because when I'm in my alone space, it's invasive if someone does it multiple times a day.

I'll only respond quickly if I connect well with that person. There is also an expectation to get quick responses through this, which is part of the problem with phonecalls and verbal communication in the first place.

So probably:

Emailing> Texting/DMing with close friends> In person> Texting/DMing with people who use it to kill boredom>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Phone>Zoom/Skype
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phone is last for sure. In person, it depends on who I am with and for how long I am with them. Actually, I did notice on a VC call recently that I spoke a lot better in terms of socionics than when I am rambling through text. I was much better able to understand the other person and assist in a more meaningful way. I guess I was more patient with my thoughts/time in that context. I used to like talking on the phone with a small group of friends as a teen, but since then I mostly dislike it. In person can be good in short bursts and longer when it’s someone I feel truly comfortable with. I do like texting, but I feel like IM/DM is kind of like the phone sometimes and you are trapped, so I prefer group settings online (as opposed to in person where I’m not as big on groups).

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not delta. I like in person, followed by phone, followed by IM, followed by text. I like responsiveness and a maximum of information in my conversations.

Plus I find talking to someone over the phone versus say a text or email accomplishes whatever you're trying to do 10x faster and easier.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

likely not delta but, text>IM>phone>in person.

.. but what if I told you I'm IEE?
    Last edited by SGF; 06-10-2020 at 09:36 AM.

TIM
    EII / INFj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely despise answering the phone.

For many years I had panic attacks when the phone would ring. It feels like a sudden unwanted intrusion into my personal space. Very jarring and confronting.

Even today I usually just let it go to voicemail most of the time.

I'm very comfortable with texting, although I may deliberately take a long time to respond.

I don't like the feeling of pressure when I know the other person is sitting on the other side, impatiently waiting for my reply. So I will usually pretend that I'm busy, not answering right away, so that they eventually give up waiting. This gives me time to formulate a response in my own time, under more comfortable conditions.

Unless ofc I am actually interested in talking to the person, then I will respond immediately lol.

Also, if I absolutely am forced to call somebody about something important, I can procrastinate for a very long time, over-thinking the small details and trying to figure out exactly what I will say, and how it should be said. It can be quite agonising.