Thread: Four ways to gather information

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Four ways to gather information

Here is my crazy idea of how people gather information. These are the four ways that people gather information with two negative ways and two positives.

Positives

Selective Gathering:

When someone is given information, they must pass it through a filtering process and if it gets caught with what they believe, it gets thrown out. It is a very excellent way to gather information since lies can be detected and truthful, accurate information gets through. The downfall of this is that information that is too strange or extreme will be dismissed as folly even if it may be true.

Multiple Gathering:

When this person is given information, they will consider all the options that are within a flexible open border. They will believe contradictory information and hold both ideas as true until further information becomes available. This helps this person to question the world they live in by looking at it through different angles and this enables the person to figure out hidden truths. The downfall of this is that the person will have trouble in finding the actual truth.

Negatives

Absorbed Gathering:

A person of this tendency will believe almost anything told to him/her even it it doesn't make any sense. The benefit of this is that they will discover a lot of hidden truths, however they will find themselves believing in a load of trash as a result of it. If contradictory beliefs conflict with eachother, this person will believe in both, but will not realize that they even contradict, thus resulting in a lot of ignorance and brainwashing.

Primary Gathering:

A person that gathers information in this manner will use the first source of information as the only source. If this person believes in something firsthand, it will likely not change even if a lengthy description or other information suggests otherwise. They tend to believe what the norm suggests and will argue or criticize anythinh that falls out of those boundaries. This results in a lot of ignorance brainwashing, since the person will likely not stray away from their original belief.

All people tend to gather information in all these manner in certain percentages. Though, everyone has their own dominant way to gather information.

From observations, I would say that intuitive people tend to be multiple gatherers and absorbed gatherers. Sensors tend to be selective gathers and primary gatherers. Of course you could get people that tend to be equal or even stray away from that observation.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you're saying. Maybe you should expand the list to eight, however, or explain why it can't be expanded to eight if that's impossible.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    I see what you're saying. Maybe you should expand the list to eight, however, or explain why it can't be expanded to eight if that's impossible.
    Yeah your right, there probably is more ways to gather information. Your welcome to add to the list of what you think are other ways people gather info. Plus, what way do you gather information anyways?

I find myself to be mostly a multiple gatherer, but sometimes I fall into the trap of being an absorbed gatherer. I believe everyone gathers in every single way, it is just a manner of how frequent you use each type of information collecting.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you want to do, is to try eliminating the grey area. Then your theory will be objectively respected. You will have found "truth".

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What you want to do, is to try eliminating the grey area. Then your theory will be objectively respected. You will have found "truth".
    I guess I need strong for that, though I'm assuming your saying that you want me to fill in all the gaps in my theory? Also to try to make each gathering collection more independent from the other ones?

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Young_and_Confused
    I guess I need strong for that, though I'm assuming your saying that you want me to fill in all the gaps in my theory? Also to try to make each gathering collection more independent from the other ones?
    That's right. But you can compensate for the by
    1) waiting for inspiration from your unconscious (you know what that is)
    2) asking thinking types about their experiences (as Augusta did)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your system looks like a typology on a continuous scale. What you have is fine, but I think we can also interpolate it like so:

Absorbed --- Multiple --- Selective --- Primary

With scales like this, we differentiate between the extremes and the equilibrium. The two ends (absorbed, primary) are considered the extremes, and the two middles (multiple, selective) are considered the equilibrium. Note that it is also a continuous scale; any person can be located on any point on the scale, but we can still define general areas where people on different points within the same area will be quite alike in their behavior.

Normally, we would imagine the equilibrium to be a better option for a person/thing than an extreme. You have shown this by assigning the extremes as "negative" values and the equilibrium as "positive" values. An "equilibrated" type has moderate doses of both types of options, thus it can better survive in an environment which requires one to be both open- and careful-minded. However, and "extreme" type has a large dose of one option but little of the other. Thus, this type will often fail to survive in an ever-changing environment.

Anyway, not bad. I hope I helped you understand it more.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Your system looks like a typology on a continuous scale. What you have is fine, but I think we can also interpolate it like so:

Absorbed --- Multiple --- Selective --- Primary

With scales like this, we differentiate between the extremes and the equilibrium. The two ends (absorbed, primary) are considered the extremes, and the two middles (multiple, selective) are considered the equilibrium. Note that it is also a continuous scale; any person can be located on any point on the scale, but we can still define general areas where people on different points within the same area will be quite alike in their behavior.

Normally, we would imagine the equilibrium to be a better option for a person/thing than an extreme. You have shown this by assigning the extremes as "negative" values and the equilibrium as "positive" values. An "equilibrated" type has moderate doses of both types of options, thus it can better survive in an environment which requires one to be both open- and careful-minded. However, and "extreme" type has a large dose of one option but little of the other. Thus, this type will often fail to survive in an ever-changing environment.

Anyway, not bad. I hope I helped you understand it more.
    Nice Cone , it seems that you understand my theory completely and even beyond my understanding. I really like how you scaled them because that is the way I saw it as well.

That's right. But you can compensate for the by
    1) waiting for inspiration from your unconscious (you know what that is)
    2) asking thinking types about their experiences (as Augusta did)
    Sounds like good ideas that I will practice in the future.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-

Default Re: Four ways to gather information

From observations, I would say that intuitive people tend to be multiple gatherers and absorbed gatherers. Sensors tend to be selective gathers and primary gatherers. Of course you could get people that tend to be equal or even stray away from that observation.
    Actually, they look more like rational/irrational than intuitive/sensing.

Selective = Rational
    Multiple = Irrational
    Absorbed = Irrational
    Primary = Rational

My reasoning being that upon discovering new information, the Selective/Primary weigh information against their ideas, while the Multiple/Absorbed take information as it comes (independent from their ideas).

Please correct me if I'm wrong

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Re: Four ways to gather information

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    Actually, they look more like rational/irrational than intuitive/sensing.

Selective = Rational
    Multiple = Irrational
    Absorbed = Irrational
    Primary = Rational

My reasoning being that upon discovering new information, the Selective/Primary weigh information against their ideas, while the Multiple/Absorbed take information as it comes (independent from their ideas).

Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense and it looks like you understand how each of them function.

I've noticed that when we are younger we tend be absorbed gatherers, since we just swallow all the information that comes to us, since we need to learn everything at a fast rate. This is why we learn the most when we are younger and children believe anything you tell them. When you become older, certain adults tend to become primary gatherers and usually don't stray away their beliefs. I'm not really sure this is a good thing, since holding off information kind of stops adults from learning. Also, if aduls were absorbers that would be a lot worse, since they would be living with a pack of lies and won't be able to even function at a job.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-

Children are probably more switched on than you're giving them credit for right there :wink:

I agree, children tend to believe what you tell them (because how could they know any better?) but they know when you're trying to deceive them (switching over to selective gathering).